Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

SF had a defensive score right? There is creedance to the notion they see the Rams all the time, plus Shanny and McVay old cronnies from the same tree.

One thing that interests me is SF has decent ST overall, but the kick coverage unit is 25th in yards allowed. Could be a big dre day on a fast field.

Yeah. I watched the game and virtually all niner games being out West. Their offense is not great with Mullens and they did have a defensive score last week. If we can shut down their run game, they won't be able to put up a lot of points. Alternatively, their D line made a lot of plays against the Rams. I think it's a game we should win, but could be similar to the Charger game in that it will feel painful and close for a while- if not throughout. I just don't see us blowing them out. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Since this game got moved to AZ will there be fans in the stands?  I was looking for tickets and can’t find any. 

From what another poster on this board said, only family due to not being able to have a quick enough turnaround to totally sanitize the place.

Edited by BillsFan619

22 hours ago, Greg S said:

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=weekly&year=2020&week=13&league=NFL

We will be wearing white again as the 49ers just posted their normal red jerseys for home games. No surprise. Maybe the Bills should go with all white (current or throwback) since white over blue didn't work out so well in this stadium the last time. Scroll ahead to week 14 and the Steelers posted their normal white jerseys with yellow pants road look. Bills will either be in blue or red jerseys for that one.

I looked further ahead and I see that the Broncos will be wearing their throwback uniforms when we play them.

11 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Thanks for this, HappyDays.

That’s encouraging to see! Hitting our stride at the right time.

Between all the new pieces and the injuries I think it just took some time to put everyone in their best position to succeed. That's why AJ Klein after looking like the worst player on the team is suddenly a key part of the defense, they figured out what he does well. Dare I say that is a very Belichick-like move from McDermott and Frazier to get the defense back on track in the middle of the season.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I looked further ahead and I see that the Broncos will be wearing their throwback uniforms when we play them.

Saw that. Also the last week of the regular season the Dolphins will be in white over aqua. The Bills are done wearing white at home for the regular season.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

This is one of those games where I throw the records out the window and look at the matchups.

The 49ers offense is a bad matchup for the Bills defense.They have unique and successful run schemes. Mostert and Jeff Wilson are back in the lineup. Samuel is a threat on jet sweeps. The key to defensive success for Buffalo is to limit the run and force Nick Mullens to beat them. This, unfortunately, is much, MUCH easier said than done.

The 49ers defense, meanwhile is ranked 11th in points allowed. Even with all of their injuries, they're a tough unit, and they just got Richard Sherman back. If the Bills' o-line plays the way they did against the Chargers in pass protection, it will be a long night. Protecting Josh Allen will be paramount to any success they hope to have moving the ball. With Richard Sherman on Stefon Diggs, the Bills will also need Beasley and Davis to step up in the passing game.

Lastly, the fact that the game is in prime time and in a neutral location is a bit of a factor, in my opinion. The two COVID-affected games the Bills played previously this year were their worst two performances of the year. I'm not convinced yet that they're adaptable enough as a team to overcome schedule/location alterations or to consistently perform well in national night games.

All in all, I see it as a coin flip of a game. FiveThirtyEight agrees, with a 52% win likelihood for the Bills.

I wouldnt call this one a “Covid affected” game from the bills standpoint. The players and coaches won’t have anything different to deal with this week then they would have if it was in California.its just a change in travel arrangements. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Between all the new pieces and the injuries I think it just took some time to put everyone in their best position to succeed. That's why AJ Klein after looking like the worst player on the team is suddenly a key part of the defense, they figured out what he does well. Dare I say that is a very Belichick-like move from McDermott and Frazier to get the defense back on track in the middle of the season.

funny you mention this. i was just having a talk with a buddy in the gym about how all season i've been saying to myself "Mcdermott and Frazier will figure this out". In my head they were too good at what they do to not get it figured out.

......And we have more help on the way(Milano)!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He gets beat like a rented mule week in and week out.... the Jets let him go.😅

He also made some very good run blocks the last several weeks. He is the weakest link on the line. I would have no issue with Bates or Boetgetrer getting some snaps. Would be nice to get up several scores and start rotating some other guys up front.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Three more wins (including a divisional one) will lock the AFCE down for Buffalo me thinks. Really hoping they get the W here.

I agree 3 more wins, but one needs to be Pats or Phins. 

Edit; duh you said this....

Edited by RichRiderBills

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35306/brian-daboll-makes-trick-plays-part-of-buffalo-bills-creative-attack

I don't think it's *anyone*.  But apparently the Bills regularly hold passing, receiving, and kicking contests for all the players. 

So they have a good idea as to the hidden talents of everyone on the team.

If I ever see Micah Hyde walk on the field with the offense....actually I wonder.  🤔 What if Daboll has opposing DCs compiling lists of all the Bills players who played QB.  He could scheme guys open by having Hyde line up in the backfield.  The entire defense would be "IT'S A TRICK!" and Allen and Diggs could play catch to the endzone.

Question:

"Some of them are 'check with me' plays that you only want versus a certain look," Daboll said. "The Cole play that he threw yesterday, that was a 'check with me' play. We had it called against Arizona in kind of the same area, and they gave us a different coverage -- and Cole scored on that one, too. It's been a good play for us over the past few weeks."

What is the difference between an audible, a check, and a "check with me" play?  Daboll said something in a presser before the bye that made clear by context he regards them as three separate categories of plays.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35306/brian-daboll-makes-trick-plays-part-of-buffalo-bills-creative-attack

I don't think it's *anyone*.  But apparently the Bills regularly hold passing, receiving, and kicking contests for all the players. 

If I ever see Micah Hyde walk on the field with the offense....

Question:

"Some of them are 'check with me' plays that you only want versus a certain look," Daboll said. "The Cole play that he threw yesterday, that was a 'check with me' play. We had it called against Arizona in kind of the same area, and they gave us a different coverage -- and Cole scored on that one, too. It's been a good play for us over the past few weeks."

What is the difference between an audible, a check, and a "check with me" play?  Daboll said something in a presser before the bye that made clear by context he regards them as three separate categories of plays.

Maybe it means line up and let him give the go ahead or not based on defensive look? 

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

speaking of flukey.... Allen has fumbled 5 times this year and lost ALL FIVE. what are the chances there?... meanwhile Herbert fumbled twice just on sunday and got both back. I also remember a mahomes fumbled snap we didnt get and then a strip on Darnold we couldnt come up with. And we got our guy losing anything that seems to slip out of his grasp.... i'm just thinking out loud i guess.

EDIT: i just went and looked. The bills have lost 8 of the 9 fumbles they've had. Thats really bad luck. 

I wonder if it's bad luck, or if there's something about the way we conduct loose ball drills?  Maybe not enough of a point of emphasis?  No "ball!" call?

I was annoyed that Allen was running around chasing the ball while it seemed everyone else on the offense was oblivious.  It seems to me that if Allen had swept the ball back towards Moss and Moss had been alert for it, chance of recovery would be much better.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wonder if it's bad luck, or if there's something about the way we conduct loose ball drills?  Maybe not enough of a point of emphasis?  No "ball!" call?

I was annoyed that Allen was running around chasing the ball while it seemed everyone else on the offense was oblivious.  It seems to me that if Allen had swept the ball back towards Moss and Moss had been alert for it, chance of recovery would be much better.

Well he fumbled 13 times last year and we only lost 4. Overall it looks like our ball carriers in general fumbled a total of 19 times last year and we only lost 6 total... from what i've looked up it looks like the average is usually 50/50. i guess maybe we're paying for a bit of good luck from last year.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That play is tough cause it looks like McKenzie was open for 6 if they make the exchange (a bit hard to tell exactly what the safety was gonna do).

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

I agree 3 more wins, but one needs to be Pats or Phins. 

Edit; duh you said this....

49ers, Denver, Pats, lose to Pittsburgh and rest week 17 against Miami. Miami has at least two more losses before the would come to Buffalo. 

That said, one has to wonder if they would be better off needing to win against Miami so they stay hungry 

Hard to know the impact of playing a meaningless week 17 game before the playoffs the following week. I've always thought the rest was more important than any supposed "let down " from not playing the starters one week.

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Well he fumbled 13 times last year and we only lost 4. Overall it looks like our ball carriers in general fumbled a total of 19 times last year and we only lost 6 total... from what i've looked up it looks like the average is usually 50/50. i guess maybe we're paying for a bit of good luck from last year.

Yup its random. Interceptions are far less random and a better metric to follow.

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

49ers, Denver, Pats, lose to Pittsburgh and rest week 17 against Miami. Miami has at least two more losses before the would come to Buffalo. 

That said, one has to wonder if they would be better off needing to win against Miami so they stay hungry 

Hard to know the impact of playing a meaningless week 17 game before the playoffs the following week. I've always thought the rest was more important than any supposed "let down " from not playing the starters one week.

Yup its random. Interceptions are far less random and a better metric to follow.

I agree my hope is week 17 matters for seeding but not the division. We would probably still come out hard in that scenario 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:34 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Shanahan believes that he can win with any QB, and that the position isn’t that important. He’s pretty confident in himself. 

I don't know-- these Lombardi tweets seem to be 100% speculative. He claims to read Shanahan's mind. Maybe Shanahan thinks JG and Mullens are both very good. 

On 11/30/2020 at 1:46 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently the players will make more money playing this game in Arizona instead of California 

If they did not just get a new stadium in last decade many on team would not mind sharing stadium saving money.

In fact the Bills players will also get a tax break since they pay taxes in locations they play away games.

Oh and https://www.levisstadium.com/ needs to update it site.

20DIG_LS-SITE_SingleHomeGame-Header-Spon

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

How did Josh Allen survive behind that 2018 O-Line?

Media doesn't ever take this into account when they talk about his poor accuracy and low percentage first year - dude was running for his life, chucking the ball just trying to make a play WiTh No WeAPoNs - it wasn't exactly a high percentage passing offense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, Chicken Boo said:

I understand they have accountants, but what a headache to have to file taxes in 8 or 9 different states.

My father was a cross country truck driver and needed to do all that plus licenses for 30+ states.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, Motorin' said:

Just called State Farm Stadium to see how they will be handling tickets. They said only family members are allowed at the Monday Night Bills / 9ers game since there's a game Sunday the day before,  and they won't have time to properly prepare / sanitize. 

Family members should allowed for all games.

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Media doesn't ever take this into account when they talk about his poor accuracy and low percentage first year - dude was running for his life, chucking the ball just trying to make a play WiTh No WeAPoNs - it wasn't exactly a high percentage passing offense 

Our receivers were getting absolutely zero separation as well outside of Robert foster occasionally beating someone deep.  Josh Allen walked into an awful situation and somehow survived its kind of amazing.  No idea how he was 5-6 as a starter with that squad.  Thats why the 'we shouldve drafted mahomes' crowd is kind of off base in my opinion...its very possible we wouldve butchered mahomes' development lol he sat behind Alex Smith and learned the offense and when he got the starting job had a ton of weapons.  We did the exact opposite to Josh because Peterman was so bad that it was literally torturing the dude by making him start 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I ever see Micah Hyde walk on the field with the offense....actually I wonder.  🤔 What if Daboll has opposing DCs compiling lists of all the Bills players who played QB.  He could scheme guys open by having Hyde line up in the backfield.  The entire defense would be "IT'S A TRICK!" and Allen and Diggs could play catch to the endzone.

Poyer was a highly recruited baseball player and I am sure he has a good arm.

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Jimmy G being out is big. Very good news. I feel much better about us going against Mullens. Really no excuses here in this one.

Mullens is a downgrade but the 49ers just beat a Rams team with him at QB. This won't be an easy game for the Bills to win. It's a good test to see how good we really are. We shouldn't have any excuses not to win. 

4 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

Yeah. I watched the game and virtually all niner games being out West. Their offense is not great with Mullens and they did have a defensive score last week. If we can shut down their run game, they won't be able to put up a lot of points. Alternatively, their D line made a lot of plays against the Rams. I think it's a game we should win, but could be similar to the Charger game in that it will feel painful and close for a while- if not throughout. I just don't see us blowing them out. 

Good post. I'm concerned about us containing their running game. Their scheme is really good. I guess we will see if our run D has improved.