Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

So, if Milano is back from IR this week, do we go back to a 4-3 base defense?.... please?

With the 49er run game, the 4-3 defence would be a better fit than the 4-2-5. We haven’t put a lot of 4-3 on film this year, so SF would take a few possessions to adjust if we defend this way. 

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

So, if Milano is back from IR this week, do we go back to a 4-3 base defense?.... please?

I am not against this but I think we have basically played one of our DBs as a LB for much of this time but used the flexibility of having a DB.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Poyer was a highly recruited baseball player and I am sure he has a good arm.

Apparently Hyde was also a good baseball (maybe not as good as Poyer) and basketball player, but Hyde was truly notable as a HS football QB:

"During his career, he had 165 tackles, eight interceptions and seven defended passes as a cornerback.[2] As a quarterback, he had 549 rushing attempts for 3,443 yards and 46 touchdowns and also completed 606 out of 997 passes for 7,864 yards and 65 touchdowns. Hyde broke 17 school records,[1] including those for touchdown passes in a season and a career.[3]"

As I recall, we have a couple guys here who saw him play QB in the State Championship game in 2007 or 2008 and remember him as good.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

At a guess, Milano will be designated to return to practice this week (at best) and the Bills will see how that goes before activating him.

I dunno if we can go "back" to something we never much ran in the first place though....

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Fun Stats:

49ers last three games (without Garrapolo) they have:

- Turned the ball over 9 times (including 5 lost fumbles!), forced 6 turnovers including 4 against the Rams

- Scored 17 points, 13 points, and 23 points

- Have rushed for 55, 49, and 115 yards

- Have allowed rushing yards against of 111, 114, and 126

- Lost to Taysom Hill

- Been outscored 81 to 53

Garappolo is not the only player that has been injured for the 49'ers. They've lost multiple key players to injury this season.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anyone got any idea what the thinking behind these protections may be?

They have protected Harrison several weeks. Lee at least the last week. Not sure about Cox but he’s been there a couple times. Maybe they are gonna give Kumerow a spot?

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What’s exciting about this is we did it against some really really good offenses. 

1 top 5 according to DVOA (SEA) and two top 12 (LAC & ARI) in weeks 7-12. 

In terms of total offense (which is what you see on the graphic during the broadcast) they’re 3 of the top 5... Arizona at 2, LAC at 3 and Seattle at 5.

Interestingly enough we’ve faced 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 on the season. 

Hopefully these are permanent positive changes we are seeing! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently Hyde was also a good baseball (maybe not as good as Poyer) and basketball player, but Hyde was truly notable as a HS football QB:

"During his career, he had 165 tackles, eight interceptions and seven defended passes as a cornerback.[2] As a quarterback, he had 549 rushing attempts for 3,443 yards and 46 touchdowns and also completed 606 out of 997 passes for 7,864 yards and 65 touchdowns. Hyde broke 17 school records,[1] including those for touchdown passes in a season and a career.[3]"

As I recall, we have a couple guys here who saw him play QB in the State Championship game in 2007 or 2008 and remember him as good.

At a guess, Milano will be designated to return to practice this week (at best) and the Bills will see how that goes before activating him.

I dunno if we can go "back" to something we never much ran in the first place though....

I was really referring to last season.

But with how well Klein is playing, Edmunds, and Milano healthy-- we would finally have a decent trio of starters.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, YattaOkasan said:

Give me Bam over Murphy. Johnson covered the flat against ekeler really well. 

That play by Johnson went under the radar. But unreal to get in flat and hold Ekeler to 3 yard gain. If he doesn’t it’s first down or more. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was really referring to last season.

But with how well Klein is playing, Edmunds, and Milano healthy-- we would finally have a decent trio of starters.

How much 4-3 did we play last season?  I suppose it must have been more because Zo saw a fair bit of time.  Hmm.

Anyway I agree, I have hopes that Klein, Edmunds, and Milano could have potential.

11 hours ago, finn said:

49ers are coming off a tough divisional game. It seems that is when let-down games happen, especially coming off a close win. But that's just my impression. 

The divisional rivalry tends to keep games close. The 49ers have the Rams number to some degree. With Mullins at QB they are limited and stopping the run is critical. Hopefully the Bills poor run D vs Pats limited passing game was a learning experience. Agree with others if Bills hit scoring average of 27 that will be enough. 

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Poyer was a highly recruited baseball player and I am sure he has a good arm.

Poyer also started at QB for his HS team, for two seasons.  He went to a small school but was a phenomenal athlete.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How much 4-3 did we play last season?  I suppose it must have been more because Zo saw a fair bit of time.  Hmm.

Anyway I agree, I have hopes that Klein, Edmunds, and Milano could have potential.

I think it was still nickel (3 DL and 3 LB). Zo just went back to his roots of being a DT. Still blows my mind that’s how he entered the league. What a body transformation.

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Fun Stats:

49ers last three games (without Garrapolo) they have:

- Turned the ball over 9 times (including 5 lost fumbles!), forced 6 turnovers including 4 against the Rams

- Scored 17 points, 13 points, and 23 points

- Have rushed for 55, 49, and 115 yards

- Have allowed rushing yards against of 111, 114, and 126

- Lost to Taysom Hill

- Been outscored 81 to 53

While I think the point you’re getting at is valid, just wanted to let it be known that they did not lose to Taysom Hill. I think you googled their schedule and saw that their previous game was the Saints, but their bye was in between. That game was the one where Brees was hurt and Winston finished.

• Like (+1) 2

We will win but its going to be ugly, low scoring, and close.  

Mullens will cost them.  That guy cannot beat us.  

We just can't let them go ballistic running the ball.  But that's going to be their game plan.  Deebo Samuel average depth of target is like 3 yards or something.  Aiyuk is back.  Mostart.  

Not going to be easy.  

Well Sal pointed out the Bills defense for all the rantings have taken away the number one weapon of the opposing team.  DK Metcalf, Derrick Henry, etc.  Even though we sacrificed the run against KC, we still keep Mahomes completely in check.  So I expect they will try and stop the run so once one dimensional, Mullins will be pressured and make mistakes against White, Poyer, and Hyde.  I’d love to see a few Safety blitzes with Poyer. He is so good when they make that call.  

The game won’t be easy, but I do expect next Tuesday we’ll be 9-3.  It. Just might be tighter than some think.

I suspect it will be much like the Chargers game. in control, but not comfortably.

The one big difference here as opposed to our recent opponents (R Wilson, K Murray, J Herbert, even Cam Newton), is that they do not have the QB play to elevate and lead them late in the 4th quarter. If we have the lead going into the 4th, it should be sealed. In the end, just win!

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I suspect it will be much like the Chargers game. in control, but not comfortably.

The one big difference here as opposed to our recent opponents (R Wilson, K Murray, J Herbert, even Cam Newton), is that they do not have the QB play to elevate and lead them late in the 4th quarter. If we have the lead going into the 4th, it should be sealed. In the end, just win!

Definitely the worst QB the Bills have faced, and will face, all season. He’s been able to win some games and knows how to run their offense, when you compare to the rest of the Bills QB opponents this year he’s the worst.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anyone got any idea what the thinking behind these protections may be?

Funny you ask this, I started thinking about what happened in Denver with the QB’s and Covid. Could this be any reason why certain people are protected? We know how serious McD takes Covid, an example is the isolation of Fromm. 

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Funny you ask this, I started thinking about what happened in Denver with the QB’s and Covid. Could this be any reason why certain people are protected? We know how serious McD takes Covid, an example is the isolation of Fromm. 

Oh!  Yes, I can see it from that perspective.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Poyer also started at QB for his HS team, for two seasons.  He went to a small school but was a phenomenal athlete.

I believe you.  Did you catch the "best athlete on the team other than yourself" clip where Josh suggested it was Poyer?  Later they had a video clip with Hyde responding.  It was pretty funny.  Shed some insight into the absolute Alpha Male inside these guys.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh!  Yes, I can see it from that perspective.

I believe you.  Did you catch the "best athlete on the team other than yourself" clip where Josh suggested it was Poyer?  Later they had a video clip with Hyde responding.  It was pretty funny.  Shed some insight into the absolute Alpha Male inside these guys.

Don’t forget Dawson Knox is a converted TE. He actually went to ole miss as a QB. Possible future trick play with him too. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t forget Dawson Knox is a converted TE. He actually went to ole miss as a QB. Possible future trick play with him too. 

Not according to wiki:

Knox joined the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) as a walk-on full back in 2015.[3] He played at Ole Miss until 2018.[4] During his career, he had 39 receptions for 605 yards.[5]

Call me the Grinch, but I want to see that guy focus on making good blocking decisions and on catching it when it comes his way

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where would I find the Hyde video?

Some people forget that all these guys are incredible athletes, from Josh Allen, down to the defensive linemen on the practice squad and the kickers.  (Kyle Williams was one of the best athletes on the team.). They are all alpha males, who were multi-sport stars of their HS and youth sports teams, and I’d bet almost every one of the skill position players played QB (and probably point guard and pitcher too) at some point in their sports careers.

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

Where would I find the Hyde video?

Some people forget that all these guys are incredible athletes, from Josh Allen, down to the defensive linemen on the practice squad and the kickers.  (Kyle Williams was one of the best athletes on the team.). They are all alpha males, who were multi-sport stars of their HS and youth sports teams, and I’d bet almost every one of the skill position players played QB (and probably point guard and pitcher too) at some point in their sports careers.

It might be somewhere else but it's on the Buffalo Bills twitter.  Here's the link, which includes a link to the original video.  Pretty funny, worth a listen. The way his eyes slit up when he says "I happened to watch that video...since we're on the topic..."

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Taking away Deebo is not impossible. I know he's been beat up, and went off last week, but teams have mostly limited him this year. 

Not to mention they just put the clamps on Keenan Allen in the slot and held him to 4 catches 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not according to wiki:

Knox joined the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) as a walk-on full back in 2015.[3] He played at Ole Miss until 2018.[4] During his career, he had 39 receptions for 605 yards.[5]

Call me the Grinch, but I want to see that guy focus on making good blocking decisions and on catching it when it comes his way

He played QB in HS and was recruited as one but chose to go to ole miss 

2 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Taking away Deebo is not impossible. I know he's been beat up, and went off last week, but teams have mostly limited him this year. 

Deebo gets pretty much all of his catches behind the line of scrimmage and it's all yards after the catch, they should be able to game plan for that. Aiyuk will be back and I'm more worried about him.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough but that’s not what you said.  Again call me the Grinch but I want to see the guy show he can block consistently and catch consistently before I trust him with trickery.

I just meant that he converted to TE from QB, not that he was a QB in college but a QB in HS. Happens a lot with HS QBs where they need to switch positions to get on the field in college. He could have played QB at Cornell but ya know...

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just meant that he converted to TE from QB, not that he was a QB in college but a QB in HS. Happens a lot with HS QBs where they need to switch positions to get on the field in college. He could have played QB at Cornell but ya know...

Well, playing QB at an Ivy worked out OK for one guy....

• Like (+1) 1