Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

I agree the turnovers will be the key. Bills just cant let it get ridiculous. I know this is ye old line, but each time the 49ers have beaten a better team, they've turned them over and won turnover differential. Sometimes, like last week (Rams 4 turnovers) and versus the Pats ( 4 turnovers) it got ridiculous. 

Call me crazy, but I don't see a 3-4 turnover day in a warm dome from this team. 

15 minutes ago, hemma said:

Last week they had 112 yards on 34 carries = 3.29.  I'd be happy if we get that result.

Yes, wrapping up &  actually tackling Samuel would be a good idea. 

good to know. Yea I would be super happy with 3.29 ypa as well. 

I would love to see our DB playing samuel actually be up at the LOS instead of 10 yards off....I know we run zone, but can't a zone be run where the DBs are actually somewhere near the WR at the start of the play (since most of Samuels targets are coming within 3 yars of the LOS)? 

4 hours ago, Frez said:

I don’t believe the Buffalo Bills defense will be able to stop the 49ers running game. This is something the Bills have struggled with all year. 49ers are a very good team even with Mullins. 

The 49ers running game is actually the weakest point on their team this year.  They are averaging 4.1 yards per rush, which is tied with us for 20th in the NFL (and we all know the Bills are struggling to run the ball).  It's a half-yard less than the Niners averaged last season, when they were Top 10 in rushing.  And even with with Raheem Mostert back against the Rams last week, they only averaged 3.4 yards per rush.

Bottom line, the Bills are playing against a team missing their starting Quarterback (Jimmy G), and one of their most explosive weapons (George Kittle).  Overall, the 49ers are in the bottom half of the league in scoring.  At the same time, the 49ers are Top 10-12 in virtually every defensive statistical category - even without Nick Bosa.

The Bills have done a good job stopping the run over the last few weeks.  They absolutely cannot go back to old habits and start struggling with it again.  This is probably not a week for us to count on scoring 30+ points and throwing all over the field.  This is probably a game where our offense is going to struggle a bit, and the final score may look like something from our 2019 schedule.  

I've listened to some national media this week and some are really jocking the Bills.  This is the kind of game, vs an injured team, that Buffalo has to win.  IF they don't win, it's just a complete loss of credibility.  It seems to me the Bills just have too many negative quarters in ball games, to be considered a serious threat. This game is going to be closer than most of us think it should be.  

34 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I've listened to some national media this week and some are really jocking the Bills.  This is the kind of game, vs an injured team, that Buffalo has to win.  IF they don't win, it's just a complete loss of credibility.  It seems to me the Bills just have too many negative quarters in ball games, to be considered a serious threat. This game is going to be closer than most of us think it should be.  

I'm not sure who "most of us" is here.  I think most of us actually know some football, and people who know football know that Shanahan is a very good coach, and the 49ers are a very good team that is outplaying expectations for a team that lost its starting QB and other key players, playing in probably the toughest division in football.  If they were playing in the NFC North, they would probably be 2nd; NFC East they'd be kicking butt and taking names.

I sure hope our team doesn't "think it should be" some kind of a blow-out but that's on McDermott to see that they don't.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I'm at the point where I don't give a ***** about credibility anymore. Just win and make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm expecting a lot of press man and 8 men boxes on defense.  They are a dink and dunk offense who can run.

Make Mullens beat you over the top and take away the short passing game.  I don't know if we blitz a lot because Mullens gets rid of the ball quick....I think we want to make him hold it.

when do we ever play a lot of press man with 8 man boxes? Not being a dick, sincerely asking. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

when do we ever play a lot of press man with 8 man boxes? Not being a dick, sincerely asking. 

I know I’ve seen Poyer and Hyde walk up many times but don’t know if we were in press.

Sal on WGR stated we played a lot of press against the Chargers but don’t know if we had 8 men boxes.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm expecting a lot of press man and 8 men boxes on defense.  They are a dink and dunk offense who can run.

Make Mullens beat you over the top and take away the short passing game.  I don't know if we blitz a lot because Mullens gets rid of the ball quick....I think we want to make him hold it.

This is something we should consider, or at least lean towards this kind of defense.  Defend the short game.

Edited by Pokebball

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The 49ers running game is actually the weakest point on their team this year.  They are averaging 4.1 yards per rush, which is tied with us for 20th in the NFL (and we all know the Bills are struggling to run the ball).  It's a half-yard less than the Niners averaged last season, when they were Top 10 in rushing.  And even with with Raheem Mostert back against the Rams last week, they only averaged 3.4 yards per rush.

Bottom line, the Bills are playing against a team missing their starting Quarterback (Jimmy G), and one of their most explosive weapons (George Kittle).  Overall, the 49ers are in the bottom half of the league in scoring.  At the same time, the 49ers are Top 10-12 in virtually every defensive statistical category - even without Nick Bosa.

The Bills have done a good job stopping the run over the last few weeks.  They absolutely cannot go back to old habits and start struggling with it again.  This is probably not a week for us to count on scoring 30+ points and throwing all over the field.  This is probably a game where our offense is going to struggle a bit, and the final score may look like something from our 2019 schedule.  

SF is expected to have Debo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and Raheem Mostert together for just the third time this season.  Having all three in their line up will improve their rushing game.  I expect Mostert to have a good game.  SFs offensive performance will exceed their season averages.

6 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Wow.  I’m surprised at that first stat, feels like the offensive line has been doing a better job than THAT (although they’re not exactly on the level of the 2018 Dallas Cowboys or anything)

It appears that way because Josh is really really good in the pocket and buying a little more time.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

They are not good defensively getting after the QB. Rank 20th or so in sacks....

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

SF is expected to have Debo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and Raheem Mostert together for just the third time this season.  Having all three in their line up will improve their rushing game.  I expect Mostert to have a good game.  SFs offensive performance will exceed their season averages.

Meh....phins blew them out. Also....Im not convinced that trio is 100 percent, despite Deebo's big game. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

despite improvements our oline is still bottom of the barrel. Especially for a playoff caliber team. 

if Allen wasn’t as mobile as he was he would be on IR by now. Oline and Dline need to be the priority for the next 2 offseasons. 

I was watching the Green Bay/Niners extended highlights today. That’s the game when GB walloped San Fran a few weeks back. A few observations:

1) Green Bay got a lot of easy gains on outs and quick throws to the sidelines. That makes sense because the San Fran Cover 3 leaves the edges exposed.

2) San Fran brought a lot more pressure on blitzes than I thought they would. Rodgers countered that with a lot of easy dump offs to the RB and screens to the RBs. But, it also left their WR’s one on one in man coverage, and he just lobbed up a bunch of deep balls. Because he has amazing accuracy, they were all caught for big gains. But other than 3 deep balls, everything Rodgers got was through quick and short passes.

3) San Fran loves to run right and does well on these pitches to the outside.

4) Mullens will hand off and run play action and then look for easy dump offs over the middle of the field. I think we really need to pressure him and go hard after him. It would be great if we could jump out to a lead and force him to throw. That said, San Fran runs a mean WR screen, so we need to be on the watch for that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

despite improvements our oline is still bottom of the barrel. Especially for a playoff caliber team. 

if Allen wasn’t as mobile as he was he would be on IR by now. Oline and Dline need to be the priority for the next 2 offseasons. 

Eye test, maybe I agree. But we rank #15 in sacks allowed, giving up 2.1 per game, better than '19 where they gave up 2.5.

Lets also consider the last few games have been worse for sacks, and the SEA game is a rough outlier for giving those up.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Our offensive line blocking is just fine, it's a strength.

Josh Allen is the most blitzed QB in the NFL.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, colin said:

so, we (me included) have been saying our ol is good at pass blocking, bad at run blocking.  I think the second part of that is the only one which is correct.

bad. 

It can be deceiving 

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our offensive line blocking is just fine, it's a strength.

Josh Allen is the most blitzed QB in the NFL.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

That’s because they haven’t run it effectively .... it’s all connected. Hopefully that is improving 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Since you have no problem flaunting your incessant negativity, I have no problem encouraging you to seek fan sites elsewhere. You obviously hate the Bills -which you’re entitled to. But deliberately spewing unfounded negativism entitles me to virtually slap you around. Consider your face virtually reddened.

🥊

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Since you have no problem flaunting your incessant negativity, I have no problem encouraging you to seek fan sites elsewhere. You obviously hate the Bills -which you’re entitled to. But deliberately spewing unfounded negativism entitles me to virtually slap you around. Consider your face virtually reddened.

🥊

Can I get some of that action. Stay positive, new regime, new attitude, new whoop##$$

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Meh....phins blew them out. Also....Im not convinced that trio is 100 percent, despite Deebo's big game. 

All I'm saying is we better show up and not take anything for granted.  I know the coaching staff and players will show up.

• Like (+1) 1