Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So an interesting tid bit from Monson on PFF’s game preview this week.... the bills are getting absolutely GASHED by traditional inside powering running teams but that isn’t the type of running scheme Shanahan goes to on a regular basis. He explains they are primarily a horizontal flowing team that utilizes more outside zone runs. As it turns out the bills, being built for speed, are actually top ten in the NFL allowing just 3.8 YPC on outside zone runs. 

All hope for our run game vs the niners may not be lost I guess. Would love to stuff their freaking run game. The narrative this week from everyone under the sun is how we are gonna get man handled for 150-200 yds on the ground. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen so much hype for a 5-6 squad over one there 8-3 and has the better QB. 

Yes we are.  I've seen holes the size of the gap in Michael Strahan's teeth.  

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So an interesting tid bit from Monson on PFF’s game preview this week.... the bills are getting absolutely GASHED by traditional inside powering running teams but that isn’t the type of running scheme Shanahan goes to on a regular basis. He explains they are primarily a horizontal flowing team that utilizes more outside zone runs. As it turns out the bills, being built for speed, are actually top ten in the NFL allowing just 3.8 YPC on outside zone runs. 

All hope for our run game vs the niners may not be lost I guess. Would love to stuff their freaking run game. The narrative this week from everyone under the sun is how we are gonna get man handled for 150-200 yds on the ground. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen so much hype for a 5-6 squad over one there 8-3 and has the better QB. 

I mean, I guess 3.8 ypc is better than 4.7 ypc (our overall average against the run), but....it still moves the sticks

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

BUFFALO vs. EVERYBODY.  ***** 'em. ***** 'em all.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, I guess 3.8 ypc is better than 4.7 ypc (our overall average against the run), but....it still moves the sticks

BUFFALO vs. EVERYBODY.  ***** 'em. ***** 'em all.

well it put us top ten in the NFL in that certain area. so we're better than most when teams try the outside. thats the point.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Im dubious of the notion the Bills have been gashed by power running games/ Teams this year. 

We were mostly "gashed" by the Chiefs and Cards. Not power running teams...RPO heavy spread offenses. I mean maybe they have a few sets, but the RPOs kill us. So did mobile QBs.

The Titans could be called this, but we actually did good against the run in that one until later.

We got gashed by the Pats to some extent, was a bad weather game though. That really is the only power running team that gashed us. 

Im in general agreement on the bottom line though, that the 49ers run offense isnt necessarily the kind of O we have problems against. 

Also food for thought that the Bills still beat teams that rush on them . 

Edited by RichRiderBills

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Agreed. But, I think these guys are so dialed in to prepping for their opponent each week that they don’t have a ton of time to watch a lot of tape on other players. Especially those in another conference that you only have to face once every 4 years. So I’m guessing they may tend to let what they hear in the media influence their initial opinions until they turn on the tape. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening because what the hell do I know. Just a guess. 

I also hear what you're saying but I respectfully disagree.  I think the comment was intended as a compliment.  He's much more aware of Josh Allen and his ability than, wow, I didn't know this guy was such a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Wow, that's actually a little surprising to me. 

Didn't a lot of money go against the Bills last week too? I think people are going to lose their money again. There's no reason the Bills shouldn't win this game. Obviously a loss is possible, but I don't think it is rational to believe that the 49ers are favored.

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Won’t  be surprised if the refs have some questionable calls Monday 

Nfl wants the nfc playoff race to be exciting and 49ers need a win and we know how much the league hates small market teams 

And sometimes if you notice they will start will those bogus calls when the Bills (or any team for that matter) start to get too far ahead. That way they can try to keep it within the spread. Lol, I know (tin foil hat).

It does seem to happen though when a team is pulling away and up by 17-20 plus points. The b.s starts to happen. Not saying that some teams don't ever rally back because they do. However I have been paying a little more attention to it than usual and it just seems a little fishy to me.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Didn't a lot of money go against the Bills last week too? I think people are going to lose their money again. There's no reason the Bills shouldn't win this game. Obviously a loss is possible, but I don't think it is rational to believe that the 49ers are favored.

I knoiw, I agree. Maybe Vegas is trying to see how many ppl will take the bait. It definitely doesn't make sense to me. I would think the Bills be favored by 3 or at least by 1.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes, I believe you are correct. Bills are a very good team and I cant' wrap my head around them being the under dog against some of these teams. Don't get me wrong, I mean I don't care and it does not bother me. It's just kind of surprising.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Nfl wants the nfc playoff race to be exciting and 49ers need a win and we know how much the league hates small market teams 

Just stop. 

Seriously.

• Like (+1) 6

57 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Seriously, where do you come up with stuff like this?

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Beast said:

Seriously, where do you come up with stuff like this?

the NFL is losing BILLIONS In revenue with no fans in the stadiums 

you think they won’t try to make games more interesting this season on tv to get their ratings up? 

Just keep an eye out in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks the NFL doesn’t have a say in this stuff is delusional 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

you think they won’t try to make games more interesting this season on tv to get their ratings up? 

Just keep an eye out in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks the NFL doesn’t have a say in this stuff is delusional 

Basically you’re telling us that because they’re losing revenue this year due to circumstances out of their control (and circumstances that are once in a lifetime), the NFL is going to decide to manipulate the outcome of games, which if discovered would jeopardize decades of future revenue? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Someone's delusional, alright.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's not pretend that the NFL does not have special interest in certain story lines/ matchups for tv ratings. The NFL is entirely corrupt, and if it was not for my beloved bills, I would want nothing to do with it.

That's my personal experience on the matter.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry if Yolo has already linked this but:

The team is 8-3.  The offense is #10.  The QB is top 10 in every category. 

What exactly WERE you expecting dude?

Edit: here is a transcript of his follow up comments on Allen courtesy of 49erswebzone

When you said that Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen is a problem and he jumped off the film and it surprised you, did he surprise you in a way, I guess, that he's more of a passer and more of an accurate passer than just kind of a guy that's going to tuck it and run?

"Yeah, he's like a young [New England Patriots QB] Cam Newton. Obviously, Cam can still throw and still do all that stuff, but he's a load to tackle. They run him, I mean, it's basically like Wildcat offense. They're doing a lot of you just snap the ball, run power with him which is surprising. More guts than I would with a franchise quarterback, but he makes it work. He drops back to pass. He has tremendous pocket presence and he'll sit in the pocket. It's not like he's looking to run out of there. He will go through his progressions. When it's time to scramble he's not scrambling to run, he's scrambling to throw, but if it all breaks down, he'll still run. He gains ground in a hurry. He's extremely fast, very agile, very mobile. He is hard to bring down because he's such a bigger body, but he is talented. He can throw the ball on his back foot just as far as [Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick] Mahomes, I bet, and he's got the receivers to throw to. So, an extremely talented group and like I said, Brian's doing a phenomenal job putting them in position to be successful."

I'm actually pretty surprised by this description, because I wouldn't have called the Bills offense anything like "Wildcat offense" and I actually don't see us running power with Josh Allen that often 🤷‍♂️ this season

The rest of it - that he's got good pocket presence and scrambles to throw - seems appropriate.

I assume he’s referring to some of the QB draws and sweeps they’ve run and possibly how Allen has a TD reception. It’s certainly there on tape, although not a fundamental part of Daboll’s scheme. Who knows though. Maybe Saleh found Allen’s inside running to be particularly impressive. 🤷‍♂️

42 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Yeah, the NFL wants to possibly tarnish their product forever by having refs fix the outcome of plays in a BIlls/49ers game.

Makes a ton of sense.

The question I have for you is, obviously you feel NFL games are fixed, so why in hell would you follow the NFL?

Edited by Beast

17 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

For the people that are smarter than me, what are some key player to player matchups that could determine the outcome of the game?

Not sure about the smarter part lol, but I'll take a stab...

QB Josh Allen and Bills RBs vs MLB Federico 'Fred' Warner...Allen should see some winnable matchups in the 49ers secondary and Singletary/Moss exercised some of their demons last week with 139 combined rushing yards and over 7 YPC. However, Warner is a top three LB in this league IMO with a penchant for making big plays and is so central to what SF does on defense (think an A+ version of Milano, no disrespect to Matt). 

Slot WR Cole Beasley vs Nickel CB Emmanuel Moseley...Beasley in peak form and on pace for a career year will likely be matched up against Moseley (SF's #3 guy at that spot behind Williams and Taylor who are both out). To be fair, Moseley was a good player for them last year during the playoffs, but he lost his job this season and is carrying an injury as well.

RBs Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson Jr vs LBs Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and AJ Klein...Mostert is a very dangerous player particularly in the wider areas of the field with his speed and elusiveness. Wilson is a less athletic version of Mostert but a serviceable back up and McKinnon is a shifty weapon in the pass game. Edmunds, Milano (if active), and Klein need to stay disciplined with their eyes and gap integrity, rally to the ball, and tackle well (not something the Bills defense is known for). Edmunds and Milano *should* be well equipped to defend against this SF offense with their range and speed (very few teams have two LBs who possess the ability to neutralize speed on the edge like we do, it's just been a matter of durability and execution for us so far in 2020) and Klein will hopefully continue his impressive play crashing down around the LoS.

WRs Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk vs Bills Secondary...these guys are huge YAC threats and will break some tackles. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Samuel has -35 negative air yards when targeted in his last few games. The Bills need to play closer to the LoS than usual (less cushion) and gang tackle these guys. Looking for big impact games from Poyer and Taron Johnson (who for all his faults is usually great vs the run and a strong tackler). 

I was dreading this matchup before the season, but I'm cautiously optimistic now given the health and form of each team. Fingers crossed man, Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Not sure about the smarter part lol, but I'll take a stab...

QB Josh Allen and Bills RBs vs MLB Federico 'Fred' Warner...Allen should see some winnable matchups in the 49ers secondary and Singletary/Moss exercised some of their demons last week with 139 combined rushing yards and over 7 YPC. However, Warner is a top three LB in this league IMO with a penchant for making big plays and is so central to what SF does on defense (think an A+ version of Milano, no disrespect to Matt). 

Slot WR Cole Beasley vs Nickel CB Emmanuel Moseley...Beasley in peak form and on pace for a career year will likely be matched up against Moseley (SF's #3 guy at that spot behind Williams and Taylor who are both out). To be fair, Moseley was a good player for them last year during the playoffs, but he lost his job this season and is carrying an injury as well.

RBs Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson Jr vs LBs Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and AJ Klein...Mostert is a very dangerous player particularly in the wider areas of the field with his speed and elusiveness. Wilson is a less athletic version of Mostert but a serviceable back up and McKinnon is a shifty weapon in the pass game. Edmunds, Milano (if active), and Klein need to stay disciplined with their eyes and gap integrity, rally to the ball, and tackle well (not something the Bills defense is known for). Edmunds and Milano *should* be well equipped to defend against this SF offense with their range and speed (very few teams have two LBs who possess the ability to neutralize speed on the edge like we do, it's just been a matter of durability and execution for us so far in 2020) and Klein will hopefully continue his impressive play crashing down around the LoS.

WRs Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk vs Bills Secondary...these guys are huge YAC threats and will break some tackles. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Samuel has -35 negative air yards when targeted in his last few games. The Bills need to play closer to the LoS than usual (less cushion) and gang tackle these guys. Looking for big impact games from Poyer and Taron Johnson (who for all his faults is usually great vs the run and a strong tackler). 

I was dreading this matchup before the season, but I'm cautiously optimistic now given the health and form of each team. Fingers crossed man, Go Bills!

Good stuff....but what about Diggs?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Milano Klein and Edmunds can all cover.  Having them healthy makes a big difference. 

Will be tougher to run if we aren't in Nickel all game and I take my chances against mullen with the 3 of these guys blitzing as well. 

Klein really can’t cover.

He is at his best attacking the line of scrimmage.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Verrett will be on Diggs but they do play a lot of zone 

All the analysis I've heard is that the like to play man.  Not sure what the split is between man and zone but I believe they like man more.  Could be different against us.

• Like (+1) 1