Eating crow...DK Metcalf is a freak and a phenomenal talent

Big Turk

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

After adding Brown and Beasley? 

Yup.  Despite that duo, a year later the Bills had to give up a 1st rounder and tens of millions to get Diggs as a real #1 WR.

Metcalf, Brown Beasley and 2020's 1st round pick. A bargain.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Yup.  Despite that duo, a year later the Bills had to give up a 1st rounder and tens of millions to get Diggs as a real #1 WR.

Metcalf, Brown Beasley and 2020's 1st round pick. A bargain.

Hindsight...

• Like (+1) 1

Can we change this thread title to the Official DK Metcalf thread?  Maybe sticky it?  No other threads on DK ever again.  If anyone ever wants to discuss DK, write it here.  Can’t wait til next week when there are 27 new DK Metcalf threads. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It doesn't hurt having Russ throw perfect passes to you weekly. We all saw how ripped he was in those pics. At 6-4/230 he was a freak.  Too bad that crystal ball didn't say skip Ford and give Josh this kid to develop together. Now Cody is borderline bust and DK is all world. Oh well??

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can we change this thread title to the Official DK Metcalf thread?  Maybe sticky it?  No other threads on DK ever again.  If anyone ever wants to discuss DK, write it here.  Can’t wait til next week when there are 27 new DK Metcalf threads. 

Can it not be the Jaraxxus is Joe, official thread as well?

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I was of the opinion Metcalf would be like David Boston and lift himself out of the NFL but he has turned into a freak and a phenomenal talent...

Just watched him take a 5 yard shallow cross to the house from 46 yards out and basically outran the entire SF defense to the far sideline and turned it upfield for a TD...Unbelievable.

Told ya...😉😎

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

come on....

“Come on”...what?  He had over 500 yards in his last seven games as a rookie in 2018. They added Brown and Beasley over the off-season. They weren’t taking a wide receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

“Come on”...what?  He had over 500 yards in his last seven games as a rookie in 2018. They added Brown and Beasley over the off-season. They weren’t taking a wide receiver.

Come on....guy was a one route trick pony.  Had one game with over 5 catches.   The Bills were quickly done with him.  He was a dud.  That's a #4 WR at best.  

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

As good as he's been in Seattle I don't think he'd be as good here. 

Why tho??? Josh would definitely be able to feed a big target like that. I don't get why people say that. Bills fans have this the worst...nobody would be as good if they came here according to too many of you...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, StHustle said:

Why tho??? Josh would definitely be able to feed a big target like that. I don't get why people say that. Bills fans have this the worst...nobody would be as good if they came here according to too many of you...

1)Josh Allen isn't at a Russell Wilson's level 2)The WRs on the Seahawks aren't that great outside of Lockett so Metcalf likely getting more snaps in Seattle than would here 3)The Seahawks don't have a great running game etc. so they rely more on the pass than we do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

As good as he's been in Seattle I don't think he'd be as good here. 

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

1)Josh Allen isn't at a Russell Wilson's level 2)The WRs on the Seahawks aren't that great outside of Lockett so Metcalf likely getting more snaps in Seattle than would here 3)The Seahawks don't have a great running game etc. so they rely more on the pass than we do. 

Yeah this makes no sense.

The Bills running game is worse than the Seahawks.  With Metcalf, they wouldn't have traded for Diggs.  Metcalf would have been getting tons of targets from Allen.  The guy is a fast giant.  

• Like (+1) 2

That Cody Ford trade up looks worse and worse. I actually liked AJ Brown a little more than Metcalf but would have been happy with either in the second round. Not really sure what Beane and company were thinking as wr was a big need at the time and the draft fell our way (many had predicted Metcalf to us at 9) but we chose to go a different direction. Big miss by Beane but it happens to the best of them.

• Like (+1) 1

I think with WR's, its one of the hardest positions to evaluate in the draft.  It requires a QB to throw you the ball, but also to scale and evaluate their routes.  Then there's the evaluation of does he have what it takes to work extremely hard to improve.  He has that bit.  Workouts and tape only go so far - he has improved his route running tremendously. 

He has also really improved his awareness.  He's better on the sidelines, hes timing jumps better, he's just a better player than he was even a year ago.

Prognosticating player's futures based on comparison with former players that had similar body types is a fallacy.  Boston and Metcalf are both big bodied receivers who were jacked and had speed to burn.  That's where the comparison ended.  Metcalf didn't run much of a route tree at Mississippi, because they didn't need him to, but he was always reported to be a great kid who worked hard and wanted to excel. I don't recall all the details about Boston, but I'm guessing those were areas where he didn't measure up.

Talent was never the issue with DK. Talent wise he was a freak athlete with enough football ability. But the issue was health. He has a long injury history particularly with back and neck injuries. So we will see if his health will hold up, because he is completely dynamic when he is on the field. 

32 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Prognosticating player's futures based on comparison with former players that had similar body types is a fallacy.  Boston and Metcalf are both big bodied receivers who were jacked and had speed to burn.  That's where the comparison ended.  Metcalf didn't run much of a route tree at Mississippi, because they didn't need him to, but he was always reported to be a great kid who worked hard and wanted to excel. I don't recall all the details about Boston, but I'm guessing those were areas where he didn't measure up.

Boston became more interested in weight lifting and bodybuilding than the NFL and ended up getting too big and too jacked which led to constant injuries...muscles are able to grow much faster than tendons and ligaments(especially with steroid use) and when those are given time to catch up and you are doing explosive movements everyday bad things tend to happen.

Edited by matter2003

I was on here insisting to everyone for months before the draft that DK Metcalf was going to be insane and was a true #1 WR prospect and best WR prospect in the draft.  Some agreed, most argued.  I was on here on draft night pleading to take Metcalf every time another team passed, few agreed, most mocked his cone time.  Once we traded up in the 2nd, I knew 100% it was for Cody Ford.  No way they were going to trade up there if it wasn't for someone in the trenches IMO, and Cody was a first round graded prospect.  But even then, I was pleading to trade back up into the 2nd again and take DK all the way until Seattle took him.  Even fewer agreed and most mocked his cone time.

Ok, done with my victory lap hahaha.  

That being said, I was never upset or even dissapointed with our draft on draft night either.  Yes I badly wanted a WR because I knew that Zay Jones was utter trash and wouldn't last much longer here, nor should he.  But they still got the DT they targeted, help for Josh on the OL, and promising RB and TE in the first 4 rounds.  And as I sit here today, I have no concerns about our WR group either as Diggs is an elite WR himself with very good WR's around him like Brown and Cole too, not to mention Davis has a lot of upside (despite the gaff where he dropped a TD this weekend, I mean I have seen Hopkins and Julio both let easy TD passes go right through their hands while wide open, it happens).  

So, if I could go back, would I take Metcalf over Ford...absolutely.  But I also am not sitting here like our future is in worse shape either, because ultimately we got the elite WR anyway, and one that is a freak in his own ways.  No one plays bigger than his size better than Diggs, his footwork is at a freak level, and he is one of the best deep ball home run hitters himself in the NFL.  

I haven't given up on Ford, I still think he can be a good guard for us, although I have kind of given up hope he can be a true RT.  

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was on here insisting to everyone for months before the draft that DK Metcalf was going to be insane and was a true #1 WR prospect and best WR prospect in the draft.  Some agreed, most argued.  I was on here on draft night pleading to take Metcalf every time another team passed, few agreed, most mocked his cone time.  Once we traded up in the 2nd, I knew 100% it was for Cody Ford.  No way they were going to trade up there if it wasn't for someone in the trenches IMO, and Cody was a first round graded prospect.  But even then, I was pleading to trade back up into the 2nd again and take DK all the way until Seattle took him.  Even fewer agreed and most mocked his cone time.

Ok, done with my victory lap hahaha.  

That being said, I was never upset or even dissapointed with our draft on draft night either.  Yes I badly wanted a WR because I knew that Zay Jones was utter trash and wouldn't last much longer here, nor should he.  But they still got the DT they targeted, help for Josh on the OL, and promising RB and TE in the first 4 rounds.  And as I sit here today, I have no concerns about our WR group either as Diggs is an elite WR himself with very good WR's around him like Brown and Cole too, not to mention Davis has a lot of upside (despite the gaff where he dropped a TD this weekend, I mean I have seen Hopkins and Julio both let easy TD passes go right through their hands while wide open, it happens).  

So, if I could go back, would I take Metcalf over Ford...absolutely.  But I also am not sitting here like our future is in worse shape either, because ultimately we got the elite WR anyway, and one that is a freak in his own ways.  No one plays bigger than his size better than Diggs, his footwork is at a freak level, and he is one of the best deep ball home run hitters himself in the NFL.  

I haven't given up on Ford, I still think he can be a good guard for us, although I have kind of given up hope he can be a true RT.  

I did the same. There is no prospect I have ever defended more before the draft than Metcalf. I even said I would take him first overall. 

Not only his cone time and lack of route diversity but his “injury prone” and “lack of production” were nonsensical reasons posters didn’t want him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, Doc said:

He was the 9th WR taken.  Most people whiffed.

Every GM outside of Seattle should be fired for taking the Combine stats too seriously and passing on him.  The Raiders passed on him 4 times.   Did you see how he looked going up against the Niners CB?  It looked like a Dad vs his 10 year old.

Remember our Buddy who said “we need a WR who’s open even when he’s not”.  That’s this guy.   It was interesting though that the week before vs Arizona he had only 2 receptions.  Was Lockett that much of a better matchup?  

On 11/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, matter2003 said:

I was of the opinion Metcalf would be like David Boston and lift himself out of the NFL but he has turned into a freak and a phenomenal talent...

Just watched him take a 5 yard shallow cross to the house from 46 yards out and basically outran the entire SF defense to the far sideline and turned it upfield for a TD...Unbelievable.

I used to love David Boston. Not to say this will happen to Metcalf (but it arguably still could) but his knees couldn’t take his body after a while and he broke down after about 3-4 years.