Gilliam now listed at TE on roster

BillsMafi$

Reggie Gilliam listed as aTE is not a surprise at all.  I felt like he is the Dawson Knox of the 2020 Draft - someone who was so underutilized in the passing game at Toledo.

Bonus - the guy can play ST.

Given his positional versatility - FB / TE / ST, he is my dark horse candidate to make the 53 at some time during the season.

Edit: Dark Horse #2, Dark Horse #1 is Tanzel Smart.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK - Gilliam is an upgrade over both Lee Smith at TE and DiMarco at FB. If he takes the spot of either one of them (maybe both), what is not to like?

You best get used to the fact that DiMarco, or Smith, or both of them will be on the roster.

McDermott loves his special teams players and his locker room leaders.

I guarantee that either one or both of these guys will be team captains.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

They've been talking about Gilliam more as an H-back lately.   

That's what DiMarco was originally touted to be when he came from Atlanta (although I never saw that receiving element in his game)...

Exactly how I see it too.  If he makes the team I don't see DiMarco making the cut no matter what the position call out is.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And bam.....Kroft has a foot injury....hmmmmm

Cut him. 

22 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Reggie Gilliam listed as aTE is not a surprise at all.  I felt like he is the Dawson Knox of the 2020 Draft - someone who was so underutilized in the passing game at Toledo.

Bonus - the guy can play ST.

Given his positional versatility - FB / TE / ST, he is my dark horse candidate to make the 53 at some time during the season.

Edit: Dark Horse #2, Dark Horse #1 is Tanzel Smart.

I was thinking Smart could also make the team but didn’t know over whom?

59 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You best get used to the fact that DiMarco, or Smith, or both of them will be on the roster.

McDermott loves his special teams players and his locker room leaders.

I guarantee that either one or both of these guys will be team captains.

If that happens, there would be no doubt these guys have something on McD.

When friends blackmail you - Imgflip

33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

If that happens, there would be no doubt these guys have something on McD.

When friends blackmail you - Imgflip

Wrong.

This is the culture that McDermott uses in his team building.

Yes, he can find better players than DiMarco & Smith, but he has them on the team for the intangibles. Leadership is important to McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Wrong.

Yes, he can find better players than DiMarco & Smith, but he has them on the team for the intangibles. Leadership is important to McDermott.

I am afraid you are wrong this time sir. What they bring is not worth the cost - 1.5 mill and 1.75 mill, respectively, in cap room and more importantly, in roster spots.

For just being a blocker, Lee Smith committed penalties at an alarming rate - that too false starts which are drive killers. Now if Kroft's injury is serious, I can see him getting a new lease on life as a Bill - but DiMarco has been out the past two weeks with a sore neck. Unclear how he makes it to the 53 ahead of Gilliam, who never misses games. Also Gilliam has done well in camp. 

The real culture McD is building is based on competition and performance. It is a myth that "intangibles" will outweigh performance. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

More like you are delusional or are obsessed with fantasy football GM game you play.

huh? Please tell me which fantasy player will be concerned with a Reggie Gilliam who I am advocating for. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Practice squad at best.   Not sure why he was a favorite to take over for DiMarco this year.  Kyle Juszczyk is a free agent next year, go get him or Alex Armah from the Panthers.   Armah is essentially the same player as DiMarco but five years younger.

Flexibility as a player. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Wrong.

And while people can always surprise you, it seems quite unlikely McD is the type of guy one could get "pictures" of in the first place.

I noticed that on the Bills site like a week and a half ago. I was going to make a thread on it but I figured it was semantics. They probably see him as an Hback, jack of all trades, STs guy. I’m not in the group of people that have been calling for Demarco to be cut from day 1. He seems to fit into that Murphy mode, where he’s being “cut every day” on here. I’m not sure why anyone that gets paid and doesn’t flash every second of the day gets that treatment. Demarco is solid. I hope this kid is too. Keep them both. Play him at TE, move him around...the more playmakers the better. Early on they raved about this kid on ST, so I’m sure they will find a spot for him.

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK - Gilliam is an upgrade over both Lee Smith at TE and DiMarco at FB. If he takes the spot of either one of them (maybe both), what is not to like?

What makes you think that?

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And bam.....Kroft has a foot injury....hmmmmm

I really really really wanted to like Kroft.  I wanted him to be the underrated depth guy that flashed and makde good on his 2nd team.

At this point I see him as "Johnny Anonymous", the "NFL Confidential" author who sets out to be the perfect backup.  For whatever reason, he simply doesn't have the physique or the fire to be The Man.

Regardless of the way he's listed, I would not expect him to function as an inline tight end very often.  He's way short at only 6 foot.  Still, he could in a pinch and really has the versatility to line up almost anywhere on offense from wide to H-back to traditional fullback.  Yes, even inline if he had too.  That versatility means extra value, and of course as an undrafted rookie, he's way cheaper than DiMarco.  If he has played well during training camp, while DiMarco has been sidelined by injury, it seems as if there might be a lot of incentive for Beane to go with the youngster.

Edited by TigerJ

On 8/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Practice squad at best.   Not sure why he was a favorite to take over for DiMarco this year.  Kyle Juszczyk is a free agent next year, go get him or Alex Armah from the Panthers.   Armah is essentially the same player as DiMarco but five years younger.

People assume that we can fill our roster with all the best FA players....there is something called a cap.  The Bills, if they want to sustain the playoff runs and superbowl bid has to get street FA and rookies work out in non-critical positions and even in some critical positions.   Once that Josh Allen 2nd contract is in place, it will tie them down even more,...

You can't afford to have a $3M FB who is marginally (in the bigger scheme of things) better than a rookie or street FA....That is why Hauscka was let go even though it is a critical position.    The same goes for Andre Roberts, Trent Murphy etc.   

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

People assume that we can fill our roster with all the best FA players....there is something called a cap.  The Bills, if they want to sustain the playoff runs and superbowl bid has to get street FA and rookies work out in non-critical positions and even in some critical positions.   Once that Josh Allen 2nd contract is in place, it will tie them down even more,...

You can't afford to have a $3M FB who is marginally (in the bigger scheme of things) better than a rookie or street FA....That is why Hauscka was let go even though it is a critical position.    The same goes for Andre Roberts, Trent Murphy etc.   

I am actually worried that Dimarco has a neck injury and hasnt been practicing.......

Might factor into the decision

On 8/31/2020 at 12:47 PM, Lurker said:

They've been talking about Gilliam more as an H-back lately.   

That's what DiMarco was originally touted to be when he came from Atlanta (although I never saw that receiving element in his game)...

He was our deep threat in the post season! LOL

On 8/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, MJS said:

It's what everyone has been saying, but I haven't the foggiest where the narrative is coming from.

Well, it's probably because in Lee Smith's entire career he's been a blocking only TE that commits a lot of penalties and people see a ham sandwich as an upgrade over that.  I don't know if Gilliam can block like Smith, but I know he's faster, younger, cheaper with significantly more upside.

FWIW, he may not be taking Smith's spot either. I think they like Sweeney for that at some point but Tyler Kroft is very expensive and very often broken.  If they feel that Knox, Sweeney, Smith and Gilliam gives them a better mix than with Kroft than they do that.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, it's probably because in Lee Smith's entire career he's been a blocking only TE that commits a lot of penalties and people see a ham sandwich as an upgrade over that.  I don't know if Gilliam can block like Smith, but I know he's faster, younger, cheaper with significantly more upside.

FWIW, he may not be taking Smith's spot either. I think they like Sweeney for that at some point but Tyler Kroft is very expensive and very often broken.  If they feel that Knox, Sweeney, Smith and Gilliam gives them a better mix than with Kroft than they do that.

Smith isn't going anywhere because of his contract, I believe.

But the comparisons have been to DiMarco since Gilliam was listed as a FB for most of the off-season. Everyone is saying he is better than DiMarco but I've wondered why they think that and what evidence they have of it.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

But the comparisons have been to DiMarco since Gilliam was listed as a FB for most of the off-season. Everyone is saying he is better than DiMarco but I've wondered why they think that and what evidence they have of it.

I think the reason Smith isn't going anywhere is they flat-out want him on the football team. The penalties have to come down but some of that can just be chalked up to variance/"bad luck." Its still true that none of these other TEs block like he does.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:20 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Does Gilliam make both DiMarco and Lee Smith expendable? I hope. Leadership or not, at the end of the day coaches do what makes the team better. At some point ability has to trump locker room leadership (if not, Gore would still be here).

If he can block, catch the ball when its thrown at him, and contribute on Special Teams, he might be the steal of un-drafted free agents across the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a really interesting move, having Gilliam “officially” change positions and uniform number at this point in camp.  I don’t quite know what to make of it.  DiMarco still hasn’t practiced at all that we know of and there is no other FB on the roster.  I’m fascinated to see what happens.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

He also isn't gong anywhere because the Bills like him. They know he is only a blocking TE. They knew that when they brought him back. Fans might dislike full backs and blocking tight ends..... but coaches tend to like them more.

1 hour ago, eball said:

This is a really interesting move, having Gilliam “officially” change positions and uniform number at this point in camp.  I don’t quite know what to make of it.  DiMarco still hasn’t practiced at all that we know of and there is no other FB on the roster.  I’m fascinated to see what happens.

I think we saw that Motor runs better without a FB in front of him, but what type of back is Moss?  If both of these guys run better without, then just use Gilliam as the HB and call it a day.

I would be happy just to never see our offset-I formation short yardage package get one yard on a 3rd and 2 again.  Woof.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Please tell me of this magical cap you speak of?   For I have never heard of it, and am just a meager peasant with no real knowledge of Foosball....

Sorry but successful teams don't put a bunch of street free agents and undrafted college kids on their roster and hope to win.   Thats the Ralph Wilson and Doug Whaley method and it doesnt work.  You only cut veterans when you've found a younger cheaper player who can play as well or better than them.  This is why guys like DiMarco, and Roberts stick, they dont have better players already on the roster.   So rather than cutting the veteran taking the cap hit, and then having to sign another street free agent for an additional cap hit, they keep the guy who can already do the job.

When/if Allen signs his second contract the Bills will rely on draft picks they have made in previous years still on rookie contracts, thats why drafting is so important.  I see what you're saying but if you want to put this argument up over Reggie Frickin Gilliam you may want to choose a new hill to die on.   You'll notice I wasnt talking about signing Clowney....I was talking about a fullback.

Edited by thenorthremembers

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They're not cutting kroft.  There's actually more cap savings cutting sweeney or gilliam.  

On 8/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, Doc said:

Cut him. 

I was thinking Smart could also make the team but didn’t know over whom?

Guy missed a single practice and we must cut him?

2 hours ago, eball said:

It suggests that one of the other TEs might be in trouble.  Although I expect Sweeney to be placed on the PUP list, meaning it's down to Croom and him for the last spot.

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Guy missed a single practice and we must cut him?

It was a joke.  Thought I'd beat someone to the punch.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

It suggests that one of the other TEs might be in trouble.  Although I expect Sweeney to be placed on the PUP list, meaning it's down to Croom and him for the last spot.

It was a joke.  Thought I'd beat someone to the punch.

Oh its just all over twitter and it annoys me.  Knee-jerk reaction's!! Apologies if it came off crass.

To me - i think its just a switch in position coaches.  They won't keep a depth FB on a practice squad, but a guy working with TEs?  More likely - especially if sweeney starts season on PUP.

Edited by dneveu