NFL considering league-wide policy to allow fan sound in stadiums

YoloinOhio

I will be disappointed if this happens. I know teams often pump in crowd noise during practices to more closely replicate the game-day experience. But, this seems more like a creative decision on the part of NFL producers. Personally, I'm much more in favor of hearing more of what's happening on the field. Sans crowd noise, the logical creative decision for the directors, regarding the soundtrack, would be to play up all the hits, and banter on the field. Screw the canned crowd noise. Get a dozen more shotgun microphones, and a sound mixer who understands football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’ve found the canned sound on MLB games (particularly radio play by play where it almost comes across as echoing) to be off-putting and distracting, kinda bc I know it’s fake too? IRL makes all the difference. I’m sure this won’t be any better unfortunately. I’m with @Rocky Landing on this one. Catching the first few Bundesliga matches this year with no crowd noise was actually pretty cool, getting to hear the player shouts/commands etc was more entertaining/educational. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As long as they ban train horms I'm fine with it.

On a serious note - I actually like what the NHL has done with the crowd noise for playoffs.  Part of it I think is they are being skilled in how they are executing it - a lot of the time I forget that it's fake.   

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Record me losing my mind at home. I'm good for at least one false start or delay of game each week. 

you need to focus and ignore the noise...or go to silent count. Come on, you're not a rookie

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

As long as they ban train horms I'm fine with it.

On a serious note - I actually like what the NHL has done with the crowd noise for playoffs.  Part of it I think is they are being skilled in how they are executing it - a lot of the time I forget that it's fake.   

Disagree with you on both counts. As @NoHuddleKelly12 said, having no crowd noise, and focusing on what's happening on the field, and sidelines would be both entertaining, and educational. I think we'd all come away having a greater understanding of football.

And, having the train horn without crowds would be hilarious.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

They are doing the crowd noise for the NHL playoffs. No surprise that the NFL would do the same.

It kinda works and it kinda doesn't.....I personally am not a big fan of canned noise.....

I've given this topic the time and consideration it deserves, and I can honestly say I don't give a rat's ass whether or not they pump sound into the stadiums because I'm going to be glued to the set regardless.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like it would have to come with a fairly complicated set of rules about what sort of crowd reaction is appropriate under what circumstances, and at what volume, etc, and that would be a nightmare to "officiate".   You always hear about visiting teams wanting to "quiet the crowd", but if the home team gets to control what the fake crowd noise sounds like, that would never happen.   Also, I'm sure there would have to be a rule against "boo'ing" controversial penalties and other calls (and non-calls).   

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Rico said:

Instead of fake noise, they should mic-up a whole bunch of fans watching the game at home. Amplify that sound through the stadium so the players can also hear it.

And then hear a bunch of wives yell at their husbands.  That would demoralize the opposing offense. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I've given this topic the time and consideration it deserves, and I can honestly say I don't give a rat's ass whether or not they pump sound into the stadiums because I'm going to be glued to the set regardless.

c'mon, now. That's like saying you don't care who the color commentator is. Would you really not care if you had to listen to Joe Theisman rather than Tony Romo?

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Instead of fake noise, they should mic-up a whole bunch of fans watching the game at home. Amplify that sound through the stadium so the players can also hear it.

in my house, it’s mostly “Oh God.  No, no, NO!!!!” and “$&@(!!!!!!!!”

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I hope they don't fill the stands with cgi fans, like they have with baseball.

That is incredibly lame.

Just a terrible look.. Cut outs behind home plate, CGI when plays go to the outfield and clearly empty stands behind the picture when the camera focusses on him. It is what it is, just play the games and don't make a cartoon of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

nobody:

absolutely nobody: 

Yolo: I like the train horn 

Sure. But, the train horn going off in an empty stadium, and watching the opposing team jump out of their cleats would provide the country with an epic moment of comedy. It would be healing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Dumb. Just let in 20-30% of capacity and play the games. 

Who would choose what the fake fan reaction would be? If Bills punter shanks one twenty yards is it fake boos or a cheer because the other team didn't return the kick??

It would be AI bots programmed to mimic Bills fans. Might even see a virtual ***** during the Pats* game. 

11 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Just a terrible look.. Cut outs behind home plate, CGI when plays go to the outfield and clearly empty stands behind the picture when the camera focusses on him. It is what it is, just play the games and don't make a cartoon of it.

Or the crowd of fans cheering when the opposing team hits a home run.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

It would be AI bots programmed to mimic Bills fans. Might even see a virtual ***** during the Pats* game. 

? But wasn't it clearly labeled as "Brady's"??? Tommy might not like Cam stealing his, umm, thunder.

I hate, hate, hate fake crowd noise. The absolute worst: baseball, where they'll use it to show the "home crowd" disagrees with a called ball or strike. Just idiotic. I want to hear the chatter that we normally can't hear. They must have it on delay with a dump button anyway since I haven't heard all the bad words they're apparently saying ... celebrate the difference of this weird ass season, don't try to mask it!

The geniuses who think we the fans just aren’t capable of consuming pro sports without fake adulation added to the mix, are missing the point that we all know it’s a once in a lifetime situation. The “fix” is worse than the reality they’re trying to literally paper over, which is the ultimate irony imho. The bigger question is how will this all impact even the need to try to obtain home field advantage throughout the playoffs (Other than the obvious of avoiding travel)?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Who would choose what the fake fan reaction would be? If Bills punter shanks one twenty yards is it fake boos or a cheer because the other team didn't return the kick??

Someone will and it will be just fine.  It’s amazing for the NBA. Without it, the Nba game would

be incredibly stale imo

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And you know there will be the occasional slip up when someone hits the wrong button...Jets interception, crowd cheers!  But in Buffalo? ?

• Thank you (+1) 1