Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

58 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Your our NOLA corespondent, is he really seen as the Saints future QB?

If he is, it’s a good thing for the rest of the league. 
In two years he has throw 6 completions for 119 yards. Teddy Bridgewater was brought in for a reason. 
I don’t see it. 

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

Any FA about our freaking team that we can chew the fat on?

Nope.

And there won’t be...you can do a bit of dot connecting if you pay attention to players at positions of need that haven’t been speculated as being connected to any teams.

3 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Devontae Booker could be a decent FA RB pickup....

Good size, 220 lb back, down hill guy with decent speed..... been  relatively healthy. Could be the cheapest best option at bringing in a quality Vet.  

......so what am I missing when I look at his stats?......

Year Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2019 Denver Broncos 16 2 0.1 9 4.5 0.6 0 5 0 0.0 0 0 0

2018 Denver Broncos 16 34 2.1 183 5.4 11.4 1 26 11 32.4 1 0 0

2017 Denver Broncos 13 79 6.1 299 3.8 23.0 1 26 11 13.9 1 0 1

2016 Denver Broncos 16 174 10.9 612 3.5 38.2 4 18 30 17.2 0 0 2

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......so what am I missing when I look at his stats?......

Year Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2019 Denver Broncos 16 2 0.1 9 4.5 0.6 0 5 0 0.0 0 0 0

2018 Denver Broncos 16 34 2.1 183 5.4 11.4 1 26 11 32.4 1 0 0

2017 Denver Broncos 13 79 6.1 299 3.8 23.0 1 26 11 13.9 1 0 1

2016 Denver Broncos 16 174 10.9 612 3.5 38.2 4 18 30 17.2 0 0 2

You’re missing the stats of a quality running back. 

• Like (+1) 1

The FA WR group, other than Cooper, is very blah.  I hope that the Bills don’t pay much for any of that group.  Funchess is still young, but to date hasn’t looked like any kind of answer as a starting WR.  If they can get him at a price that makes sense as maybe a 4th WR and they take a WR early in the draft (round 1 or early in round 2 by trade down or up) it could be semi-interesting,

Is Funchess a competent ST player?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The WR room would still be a weakness on this team if that’s what they do.... they’d be one injury away from essentially where they were last year.

They need at least two really good upgrades. One veteran and one young guy.

Agreed.  I don’t see a very good option in FA, but 2 WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft is OK with me.  If they think taking a shot on a young underproducing vet like Funchess or Permian is worth it, then they should do so.

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rumor - 

That rumor comes from here:

Reader is one of the stoutest and most versatile defensive linemen in the game as he's capable of lining up all over the line of scrimmage. At 6-4, 337 pounds, Reader plays with a lot of power and athleticism and has sound technique. He may be too expensive for the Texans to retain and is expected to command an annual compensation of $11 million to $13 million. The Denver Broncos, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills are among the teams interested in Reader, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly. Barring a sudden change in strategy and making Reader a negotiating priority, he isn't expected to be back with the Texans. The Texans have made Reader contract offers, but started off way too low last offseason, initially at $6 million per year, for him to give them that kind of extreme hometown discount.

I'm just not sure where he fits in. We restructured Star's contract and Harrison Phillips will be back. This doesn't feel like a priority to me so I doubt we'll get into a bidding war for him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That rumor comes from here:

I'm just not sure where he fits in. We restructured Star's contract and Harrison Phillips will be back. This doesn't feel like a priority to me so I doubt we'll get into a bidding war for him.

Star isn't great and they're out of his contract in a year and Phillips is off the injury, we could stand to be more stout up front. Derm and Beane talk a lot about owning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, DJB said:

Cowboys offer Dak 105 million guarantee.  33 million per year. 

Hes crazy not to take that 

Nah there’s no way his agent goes for that. Less than Goff got already. 

4 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Star isn't great and they're out of his contract in a year and Phillips is off the injury, we could stand to be more stout up front. Derm and Beane talk a lot about owning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Reader would be a great signing. You make room for a guy like him. Phillips could play some backup 3 tech at times.

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Or a 280 althetic freak DT to DE...

Off topic: 

I don’t know if I’m in the minority here, but I like our current uniforms better than any others, but that picture you have of Allen in the old uniform looks amazing and kind of makes me want to switch back 

Edited by billsfan5121

33 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not if they plan to move on from Star in the next year or so.

So they spend 20 to 25 million of their cap on 1 technique Defensive Tackles in case they want to move on from a player next year?  Dont see it happening.  Reader is a good player but I think this is a rumor started out of pure speculation because we are losing Phillips and Gaine was the GM in Houston.  No way they pay another defensive tackle over 11 million.   Not happening.

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So they spend 20 to 25 million of their cap on 1 technique Defensive Tackles in case they want to move on from a player next year?  Dont see it happening.  Reader is a good player but I think this is a rumor started out of pure speculation because we are losing Phillips and Gaine was the GM in Houston.  No way they pay another defensive tackle over 11 million.   Not happening.

When you get to the postseason, you can be forced to play a team like Baltimore, Indianapolis or San Francisco with excellent O-lines and well-coached, versatile running games. You need physical defensive tackles who can compete with elite offensive linemen, push people around and make plays. Beane is trying to win a world championship, not an award for most unused cap space. In a year they can get out of Star's deal and they'd instead pay Reader a similar percentage of cap space that they've already been paying Star, but for far superior play.

If they're going to keep Edmunds in the middle it might be a good idea to actually make 1-tech a position of strength rather than just passable.

• Like (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

When you get to the postseason, you can be forced to play a team like Baltimore, Indianapolis or San Francisco with excellent O-lines and well-coached, versatile running games. You need physical defensive tackles who can compete with elite offensive linemen, push people around and make plays. Beane is trying to win a world championship, not an award for most unused cap space. In a year they can get out of Star's deal and they'd instead pay Reader a similar percentage of cap space that they've already been paying Star, but for far superior play.

If they're going to keep Edmunds in the middle it might be a good idea to actually make 1-tech a position of strength rather than just passable.

This is a really good point.  McD is intensely analytical, and he has very well defined ideas about that he needs and where.  It wouldn't surprise to learn that McD is saying to Beane exactly what you said.   

McD wants flexibility, and I would think he would really like to have a collection of interior D lineman who can do different things.  I can see Beane spending to do it.  

Not sure I buy the Reader rumor but the guy reporting it is Aaron Wilson and he’s definitely reputable and is very connected with everything Houston-related. And he’d be a massive improvement from Star. 

We need to focus on the dumpster fire sales about to unfold in Jacksonville and Carolina. Both are major rebuilds. The Giants are going to engage in salary dumps with a new coach. You just know the Bears are going to get their stupid hat on to acquire a veteran QB. 

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

They were a top ten run defense this year and the defense has been good since McDermott got here.  To win a championship they nees to score points not spend 10% of their enire cap at 1 tech defensive tackle.  Star and Harry are plenty good enough.  Much rather see them spend 11 million on a good right tackle than another dt.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They were a top ten run defense this year and the defense has been good since McDermott got here.  To win a championship they nees to score points not spend 10% of their enire cap at 1 tech defensive tackle.  Star and Harry are plenty good enough.  Much rather see them spend 11 million on a good right tackle than another dt.

If Spotrac's figure of $82M in cap space is correct, they could give Reader and a RT 11 each and still have $60M free. After this year Star is gone and the allotment devoted to 1-tech goes back down. I guess I don't see the concern.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cowboys Rumors: Dak Prescott Offered $105M Guaranteed on New Contract

Per Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys' proposal to Prescott included $105 million guaranteed and would be worth an average of $33 million per season. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2879718-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescott-offered-105m-guaranteed-on-new-contract?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Just now, ALF said:

Cowboys Rumors: Dak Prescott Offered $105M Guaranteed on New Contract

Per Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys' proposal to Prescott included $105 million guaranteed and would be worth an average of $33 million per season. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2879718-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescott-offered-105m-guaranteed-on-new-contract?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

That’s a wild overpay IMO

What we all need to remember in all of this is that even if the Bills go all in on the Cap this year, the new CBA is about to pop the top off the Cap. As soon as next year when even more players can come off the books there will be a major Cap improvement providing relief and re-set. So, since I truly do trust Beane, if he believes Reader is worth the price - then let it be so. I also think Beane is the guy who weighs strengths in FA against Draft strengths and Draft position + Draft capital to make moves. 

In the end, Beane will set this team up for this year and future years’ success. This, I have no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

That’s a wild overpay IMO

Think you could argue almost all QBs are overpaid when they get paid their market value (outside of the elites), but FWIW, this is probably below his. Goff got more than this already. Wouldn’t really make sense for Dak to accept. 

8 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

If Spotrac's figure of $82M in cap space is correct, they could give Reader and a RT 11 each and still have $60M free. After this year Star is gone and the allotment devoted to 1-tech goes back down. I guess I don't see the concern

You give Dawkins, White, Milano and Poyet extensions and bucket 10 million for im season moves you have more like 25 to 30 million.  People on this board are going to be so pissed about free agency.  

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You give Dawkins, White, Milano and Poyet extensions and bucket 10 million for im season moves you have more like 25 to 30 million.  People on this board are going to be so pissed about free agency.  

Doubt it.

The Bills understand that they’re in the window now. They don’t have to pay Josh until 2022 at the earliest, so now’s the time.

And YOLO is right; they can afford all of their own, plus 2 big-time FAs, plus draft picks and be absolutely fine under the cap for at least the next 2 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The workaround is you can kick the can down the road on some of those guys. Might end up paying more for some of them in the long run but it also buys you time for contracts like Star’s to become waiveable. 

It certainly sounds like we should be preparing for a quiet free agency but that feels like a mistake on Beane’s part imo.