Dolphins hire Chan Gailey as OC

FluffHead

I gotta love Fitz, fear the beard! 

Goes into NE in a must win game for the Patriots so they get a bye and he beats them. 29 of 44 for 340 yards 1 TD against that vaunted #1 defense. 

It will be interesting to see what Gailey does in Miami, will he want a "waterbug" for a RB again? 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I gotta love Fitz, fear the beard! 

Goes into NE in a must win game for the Patriots so they get a bye and he beats them. 29 of 44 for 340 yards 1 TD against that vaunted #1 defense. 

It will be interesting to see what Gailey does in Miami, will he want a "waterbug" for a RB again? 

CJ just threw down his spray bottle of tire shine at the Delta Sonic and made a bee-line to the pay phone...

13 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Chan and fitz, the two best friends that anyone could have! 

@TomPelissero: Blast from the past: Chan Gailey is coming out of retirement to become the #Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

Wolfpack!

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Technically that was Buddy Nix not Whaley 

you dog one of us, you dog all of us

17 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Chan and fitz, the two best friends that anyone could have! 

@TomPelissero: Blast from the past: Chan Gailey is coming out of retirement to become the #Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

This tells me the wrong Josh will be playing (or not playing at all) for a different team.

Now if they can get Stevie as a backup WR.

17 hours ago, H2o said:

Yep. Fitz does not get to go to another team.

16 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

On WGR this morning Sal said contrary to popular believe his "sources" tell him Fitz does not like playing in Miami and he won't be back next year. My hunch is his source is Eric Wood.

i wonder if Gailey has clause in contract that he can retire again and get fully paid if Fitz does not re-sign.

?

11 hours ago, egd said:

Crap. The Dolphins are going to be good now. Gailey is a Super Bowl winning coach.

In addition, Fitzpatrick has defeated the Patriots on all three other AFC East teams. He is the Patriot killer.

Br*dy may retire if Fitz stays in AFC East.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Best offense since the Bledsoe days.  Chan did more with less than any OC we have had besides Roman. I would take him back in a second over Daboll.  A Chan-Fitz combo surrounding Allen would have Been amazing. 

I agree as long as Coach McD learns to tell OCs "No" when they want to do something stupid.  He had that issue before and even though he coaches on defense he knows when an offense will be destroyed by competent defenses.

Regarding Fitz/Allen combo I think it works - Allen can take the chances which makes him a better QB and Fitz gets to play when Allen takes his lumps.

Fitz is getting a significant salary increase next year if they choose to not cut him and I cannot see them doing it with Gailey as OC.

Year   Age Base Salary Roster Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash  
2019   36 $1,500,000 $4,000,000 $5,500,000 $7,000,000 $5,500,000($5,500,000)  

Potential Out: 2020, 1 yr, $5,500,000; $4,000,000 dead cap

2020   37 $8,000,000 - $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $8,000,000($13,500,000)

15 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

You think this rebuilding team gave a 37 year old nomadic QB say in their OC hiring?

Isn't that a fireable offense?

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but Chan and Fitz are like two peas in a pod. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Fitz highly recommended Gailey to his Dolphins coaches. Gailey has been retired for 4(?) years and now all of a sudden he's coming out of retirement for a 5 win team? I absolutely believe Fitz had some kind of say 

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but Chan and Fitz are like two peas in a pod. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Fitz highly recommended Gailey to his Dolphins coaches. Gailey has been retired for 4(?) years and now all of a sudden he's coming out of retirement for a 5 win team? I absolutely believe Fitz had some kind of say 

How soon they forget.  Chan Gailey was hired on January 20, 2015 by JEST and retired on January 3, 2017 after season was over.

So he was inactive for 3 years.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:19 AM, Gary Busey said:

On WGR this morning Sal said contrary to popular believe his "sources" tell him Fitz does not like playing in Miami and he won't be back next year. My hunch is his source is Eric Wood.

Miami has the cap to convince him to stay if he doesn't like what he'd be making next year.

I'll be rooting for them.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:20 AM, Scott7975 said:

Darn I was hoping to bring him back here if Daboll took a HC job. I think his offense would be great here. 

I was hoping they bring back a Roman, but I guess that ship has sailed at this point.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:19 AM, Gary Busey said:

I am sure Eric knows Fitz is under contract and I doubt he is ready to retire.  Does Sal's source know?

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 2 year, $11,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including $7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2019, Fitzpatrick will earn a base salary of $1,500,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,500,000 and a dead cap value of $7,000,000.

2020   37 $8,000,000 - $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $8,000,000

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure Eric knows Fitz is under contract and I doubt he is ready to retire.  Does Sal's source know?

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 2 year, $11,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including $7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2019, Fitzpatrick will earn a base salary of $1,500,000 and a roster bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,500,000 and a dead cap value of $7,000,000.

2020   37 $8,000,000 - $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $8,000,000

He probably knows. @ Sal about it

Just passing along what he said

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gailey is a good example of why Brian Daboll doesn't get more respect.........he doesn't deserve it.  

In 2011 and 2012 Gailey got more production out of notably less talent than Daboll has now.   He's more often than not coached above the talent. 

For all I know Daboll could be a great leader of men and make a great HC.........which Gailey was NOT............but as an OC Daboll has proven time and again that he gives you not one iota better than the talent you give him.  

Daboll isn't getting respect from some on this board. Do you think he cares? You're just a fan, like the rest of us. I hope Daboll is back next year and some of you are eating your words.

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Daboll isn't getting respect from some on this board. Do you think he cares? You're just a fan, like the rest of us. I hope Daboll is back next year and some of you are eating your words.

I hope he's back too so you better hope I'm not eating MY words Dopey.?

I'm just not under the illusion that giving him top 10 offensive talent will result in an offense at all greater than the sum of its parts.

Because it hasn't been the case even ONCE with any of the 4 NFL teams he's been an OC for.

The optimisitic comparison for him as a coach would be Mike McCarthy.    He got the Packers job after finishing 30th in offense as the coordinator in SF.    Prior to that his peak years were a lot better than Daboll's(usually around 14th-15th) but nonetheless it's the same idea.......better coach than game caller.

Daboll is a functional OC with a lot of experience working in highly structured,  championship winning systems with Belichick and Saban.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Not to defend Whaley, but are you sure you understand Fitzpatrick? He's the 33rd best QB in the league. Not quite good enough to start, but the best backup in the league.

'zactly.  He would have been a good bridge for the new QB, but we went with three raw rookies instead.  And others are quick to point out that it was really Buddy Nix.  Either way, it shows how screwed up the FO office was before and how unscrewed up it is now.  

On 1/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

I hope he's back too so you better hope I'm not eating MY words Dopey.?

I'm just not under the illusion that giving him top 10 offensive talent will result in an offense at all greater than the sum of its parts.

Because it hasn't been the case even ONCE with any of the 4 NFL teams he's been an OC for.

The optimisitic comparison for him as a coach would be Mike McCarthy.    He got the Packers job after finishing 30th in offense as the coordinator in SF.    Prior to that his peak years were a lot better than Daboll's(usually around 14th-15th) but nonetheless it's the same idea.......better coach than game caller.

Daboll is a functional OC with a lot of experience working in highly structured,  championship winning systems with Belichick and Saban.   

I've had to eat my words a few times. I have fun on TBD. I do think we improve next year if Daboll stays. 25-27 points per game next year.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I've had to eat my words a few times. I have fun on TBD. I do think we improve next year if Daboll stays. 25-27 points per game next year.

That would be a massive improvement but that's what the Bills were averaging when Rex got fired.     It will be hard to top 26+ points AND fewest turnovers by an NFL team in 50 years like that team was at thru 16 weeks in 2016..........but if it could be done with Tyrod at QB then it surely could be done now.

For years we've been saying things like "if we only had Gailey's offense with Marrone's defense"...........well it's funny to think that "if we had Rex's offense with McD's defense" is a thing but it is.:lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:35 AM, TheFunPolice said:

Bills and Dolphins to be the new power struggle every year, while Ne and NJ are 2 automatic wins? Just like the good old days!

That would be only when Dolphins get a Franchise QB.  I would bet that thee Jets are a lot closer to competing than the Dolphins.  

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51adbc011c2e75a465aef

On 1/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, Limeaid said:

How soon they forget.  Chan Gailey was hired on January 20, 2015 by JEST and retired on January 3, 2017 after season was over.

So he was inactive for 3 years.

I personally don’t think dragging an old guy out of retirement after that long for a job like nfl OC is a recipe for success.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally don’t think dragging an old guy out of retirement after that long for a job like nfl OC is a recipe for success.

It depends on what he was doing - was he consulting with college teams seeing how to adapt emerging players into NFL or was he sitting back fishing?

Some people keep their fingers in the pot when they retire and some do not want anything to do with it.  Galley seems to be a keep fingers in pot based upon 2 previous un-retirements.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:01 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

bills/jets/dolphins will all be competing for the division in 2020 while ne* will fall to the basement.

Dolphins are still at least a few years away from competing for anything and the Jets won't be a threat to us in the division while Gase is there...dude is a jackwagon and his players hate him.

NE is still the class of the division until proven otherwise with or without Brady.