Miami considers itself the leader for acquiring Clowney; he doesn’t want to go there

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know but no one can pay him this year. He plays on the tag no matter where he is, and then becomes a FA.

Yolo, just out of the blue to you and it is not to put you on the spot.  I am just asking a direct question to someone I respect:  do you really think this is 15 or so sack terror or do you think he’ll be some pressure and 10 sacks a year...for 20 plus million?

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

I also think he didn’t think the players he let go of were really that good and worth what they were being paid or wanted. He’s been pretty spot on. Dareus hasn’t don’t much at all. Sammy is on his second team since then, is oft injured, and been a pretty average receiver. 

Bob Woods has done well so that’s a miss. Could have used him. 

I mean that's exactly what I said. I would have preferred to keep Sammy, injuries and all, but it is what it is. He hasn't put up huge numbers, but he's a gamechanger and would immediately be our best receiver(by far.) Sean McVay and Andy Reid wanted him. That's pretty strong. But that decision was made prior to Beane's arrival if memory serves.

As far as Woods, I think he was going to LA unless we DRASTICALLY overpaid so I'm not putting that on the Bills.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know but no one can pay him this year. He plays on the tag no matter where he is, and then becomes a FA.

Yep. He’s basically a *****. If we sign him, he then looks elsewhere next year for big money (Philly, Seahags, Colts). Don’t feed the whores!!!

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I mean that's exactly what I said. I would have preferred to keep Sammy, injuries and all, but it is what it is. He hasn't put up huge numbers, but he's a gamechanger and would immediately be our best receiver(by far.) Sean McVay and Andy Reid wanted him. That's pretty strong. But that decision was made prior to Beane's arrival if memory serves.

As far as Woods, I think he was going to LA unless we DRASTICALLY overpaid so I'm not putting that on the Bills.

Oh yeah, I was agreeing with everything you said. I was just adding the points. I thought you were saying more that the players didn’t fit the “process” mentality. I must have interpreted it wrong. My bad. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This will be interesting to follow given the following:

1. Texans cant trade Clowney until he signs his tender.
  2. Clowney doesn't want to go to Miami.
  3. If Clowney sits out the season he loses $17M this year.
  4. The moment Clowney signs his tender, the Texans can trade him to whoever they want.
  5. If Texans trade him somewhere he doesnt want to go, he could still just sit out there and that team would have wasted whatever they traded to get him and he would still lose $17M...or he plays and then they have a Clowney issue next year still.  

Feels like Miami still seems unlikely if the reports of him not wanting to go there are true...but does he hate the idea enough to give up $17M this year?  Thats the question in that scenario really.  

Seems like a game of chicken between Texans and Clowney on who will blink first...Clowney has 17 million reasons to blink first though.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yolo, just out of the blue to you and it is not to put you on the spot.  I am just asking a direct question to someone I respect:  do you really think this is 15 or so sack terror or do you think he’ll be some pressure and 10 sacks a year...for 20 plus million?

I wish i was someone who knows this stuff but I don’t. I’ve also never been into stats determining value. I think market dictates price, and his market is huge. It’s part positional value, part his age, part his production and part his potential. 

As a fan, I put that on the team’s pro scouting staff and if they determine he’s worth it, I trust their evaluation until I see the product on the field.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

4. The moment Clowney signs his tender, the Texans can trade him to whoever they want.
  5. If Texans trade him somewhere he doesnt want to go, he could still just sit out there and that team would have wasted whatever they traded to get him and he would still lose $17M...or he plays and then they have a Clowney issue next year still.  

Feels like Miami still seems unlikely if the reports of him not wanting to go there are true...but does he hate the idea enough to give up $17M this year?  Thats the question in that scenario really.  

Seems like a game of chicken between Texans and Clowney on who will blink first...Clowney has 17 million reasons to blink first though.

If the Texans trade him to a team he doesn't want and he sits out, I have to think that would burn a lot of bridges for them, both with players and teams.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They wont pay him.

You mean they will not pay him the long term contract as DE he wants.

Then best thing for him to do is not sign, wait until week 10 making sure he is in shape and then sign tender then.  Team will not have money for him and will cut him.  Then he can go to another team in playoff hunt who has money and probably injuries signing a "no tag" clause contract resulting in him being a free agent next year.  But this depends on him betting on himself rather than just complain to media.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I grant you this, but my rebuttal is...........

What has Houston done with Clowney and what makes you think he can take the Bills to the next level when Clowney hasn’t done it on the same team with Hopkins and Watt on it?

If that’s your litmus test for a player, then there’s almost no one that you could ever justify acquiring. 

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wish i was someone who knows this stuff but I don’t. I’ve also never been into stats determining value. I think market dictates price, and his market is huge. It’s part positional value, part his age, part his production and part his potential. 

As a fan, I put that on the team’s pro scouting staff and if they determine he’s worth it, I trust their evaluation until I see the product on the field.

I’m sorry, I thought you were someone else.  My bad.

?? jk, brother.  Good points.  I disagree with the market, but good points.

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You missed one important option - he can wait to sign the tag after the trade deadline passes - getting paid for 10 weeks (10 million dollars) and accruing his season and effectively blocking any trade he does not want to be a part of.

He can also make signing the tender contingent on being traded to a team he wants because there is nothing the Texans can do until he signs.

I also believe the Texans could rescind the tag and effectively make him a FA right now and lose and compensation, but that would just be dumb. 

Basically he has already blocked a trade to Miami once.  They then got a meeting and it does not seem Clowney is still real interested and he still holds the cards.  I got think Miami is just stupid if they meet a deal for a guy that has made it clear a couple of times he is not happy going there.  You get a dejected player that is not happy - seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You missed one important option - he can wait to sign the tag after the trade deadline passes - getting paid for 10 weeks (10 million dollars) and accruing his season and effectively blocking any trade he does not want to be a part of.

He can also make signing the tender contingent on being traded to a team he wants because there is nothing the Texans can do until he signs.

I also believe the Texans could rescind the tag and effectively make him a FA right now and lose and compensation, but that would just be dumb. 

Basically he has already blocked a trade to Miami once.  They then got a meeting and it does not seem Clowney is still real interested and he still holds the cards.  I got think Miami is just stupid if they meet a deal for a guy that has made it clear a couple of times he is not happy going there.  You get a dejected player that is not happy - seems like a recipe for disaster.

Totally agree. I think the BOB-Flores thing is trying to push this arranged marriage. Miami also has a player that Houston really wants 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

A 2nd franchise tag would be expensive and eat up a lot of cap room and at the end of the season he would be a FA again so trading him wouldn't happen

I disagree completely.  We have room for the tag.  We can trade him after the season to a team that can actually sign him to an extension in the offseason, unlike our situation. 

So you don’t think Beane has inquired?

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I disagree completely.  We have room for the rag.  We can trade him after the season to a team that can actually sign him to an extension in the offseason, unlike our situation. 

I absolutely believe Beane inquired about Clowney. Either he did or he has little respect for Gaine because I know he had to have been pressing him hard. I'm guessing the compensation wasn't right or we weren't on Clowney's very picky list.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Let's straighten out some comments made about me in the since closed Clowney thread.

Badobilz erroneously posted that I had "claimed there was nothing to the AB rumors (when there clearly was) ..."

Well, that's just plain wrong. In fact, I refuted rapppapapaports report as being totally wrong and that the Bills were not closing in on acquiring AB. I noted that there had been some discussion between the Bills and Steelers about a trade, but it never got very far, and by the time rrappppappapaort reported the trade was apparently near done, he couldn't have been further from the truth.

The trade had in fact fallen apart days earlier.

Of course, there is this narrative here that the locals never get anything like that.

Well, that's baloney, too.

More often than not, the locals are refuting much of the speculation that's out there, such as this Clowney to Buffalo baloney.

let's move on to 3dening suggesting that citing someone in the organization as shaking their head on the Clowney trade is some way of me not "being tied down."

that's baloney, too. i've consistently reported that there is nothing to this clowney to buffalo talk. in fact, the first time i tweeted about it, the response I got was "LOL" from someone familiar with the situation.

accuracy certainly isn't a big thing regarding some on this board. similar to the wannabes trying to sell you something they don't know about clowney and the bills.

pfffft.

jw

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 13

12 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Let's straighten out some comments made about me in the since closed Clowney thread.

Badobilz erroneously posted that I had "claimed there was nothing to the AB rumors (when there clearly was) ..."

Well, that's just plain wrong. In fact, I refuted rapppapapaports report as being totally wrong and that the Bills were not closing in on acquiring AB. I noted that there had been some discussion between the Bills and Steelers about a trade, but it never got very far, and by the time rrappppappapaort reported the trade was apparently near done, he couldn't have been further from the truth.

Of course, there is this narrative here that the locals never get anything like that.

More often than not, the locals are refuting much of the speculation that's out there, such as this Clowney to Buffalo baloney.

let's move on to 3dening suggesting that citing someone in the organization as shaking their head on the Clowney trade is some way of me not "being tied down."

that's baloney, too. i've consistently reported that there is nothing to this clowney to buffalo talk. in fact, the first time i tweeted about it, the response I got was "LOL" from someone familiar with the situation.

accuracy certainly isn't a big thing regarding some on this board. similar to the wannabes trying to sell you something they don't know about clowney and the bills.

pfffft.

jw

Always appreciate your posts JW, thanks for coming here :) 

Speaking of the other thread, why was it closed in the first place?  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I disagree completely.  We have room for the tag.  We can trade him after the season to a team that can actually sign him to an extension in the offseason, unlike our situation. 

I believe he has

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

He wont agree to come here or anywhere else unless the team trading for him agrees not to tag him again at season end

4 hours ago, john wawrow said:

pfffft.

jw

You may just be my spirit animal.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

According to some reports, his preferred spot is Seattle. Can anyone see the Seahawks giving up a top flight OT for this guy when they’ve struggled in recent years to get even adequate protection in front of Wilson? 

Sorry clowney not sure you’re getting your wish.

7 hours ago, john wawrow said:

pfffft.

jw

You’ve grabbed the 3rd Rail, calling out Badolbilz. I like that in a man!?

Thanks, jw.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, john wawrow said:

pfffft.

jw

So you’re saying maybe...?

;)

9 hours ago, john wawrow said:

pfffft.

jw

Do you think this is a compensation issue for the Bills with the Texans, or an interest issue from Clowney’s end that makes Clowney to Buffalo a big nothing burger?

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

According to some reports, his preferred spot is Seattle. Can anyone see the Seahawks giving up a top flight OT for this guy when they’ve struggled in recent years to get even adequate protection in front of Wilson? 

Sorry clowney not sure you’re getting your wish.

It would seem crazy. Also, Seattle really needs a WR.