A Draft Day trade is very possible

McBeane has filled so many holes with B+ FA's; I think if the Bills fall in love with someone they could expend draft capital and now move up to get a blue chipper (A+) they love or trade back and/or stockpile some picks for next year. Draft day just got more exciting methinks- Williams, Allen??

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

McBeane has filled so many holes with B+ FA's; I think if the Bills fall in love with someone they could expend draft capital and now move up to get a blue chipper (A+) they love or trade back and/or stockpile some picks for next year. Draft day just got more exciting methinks- Williams, Allen??

please god no

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

A "blue chipper" at 40?

That's an oxymoron.

The Patriots camp said this week that the defensive side of the draft is so strong that even if the first 31 picks are D guys they will still be happy with a D guy at 32.

I know that’s big talk but if you look at the depth it is pretty wild.

I was going to start a very similar thread but I'm lazy. I could see him trading up now that we have filled a bunch of holes in FA. Beane likes to trade up for players he covets (Allen, Edmunds, Zay, & Dawkins). I wish we knew the players he loves.... Also I prefer to trade back into the bottom of the 1st than make a trade up from 9.

Edit: Beane was not here for trade up for Zay & Dawkins. Seems like he's been here longer than he has.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

The Patriots camp said this week that the defensive side of the draft is so strong that even if the first 31 picks are D guys they will still be happy with a D guy at 32.

I know that’s big talk but if you look at the depth it is pretty wild.

It is deep. I think you're just using the "blue chipper" certification too liberally.

6 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

If Quinnen Williams gets down to 5 or 6 I wonder if we try to make a play. I'm not sure which team actually picks him if the Cards go with Kyler at 1.

I wonder what that would cost?

Just now, qwksilver said:

I wonder what that would cost?

I don't know the trade chart but I'd be down for two 3rds, this year and next. Maybe could be talked into #9 and #40 to move up if absolutely forced, though I'd like to find a way to keep 40. He is an elite prospect who perfectly fits what we need, a penetrator to **** some plays up from the 3-tech. 

I don't think Shanahan takes him at 2, the question to me is the Jets at 3. Don't think Gruden goes that way at 4, and I believe TB at 5 and NYG at 6 are both 3-4 teams, though he might fit in with the Giants.

Just now, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I don't know the trade chart but I'd be down for two 3rds, this year and next. Maybe could be talked into #9 and #40 to move up if absolutely forced, though I'd like to find a way to keep 40. He is an elite prospect who perfectly fits what we need, a penetrator to **** some plays up from the 3-tech. 

I don't think Shanahan takes him at 2, the question to me is the Jets at 3. Don't think Gruden goes that way at 4, and I believe TB at 5 and NYG at 6 are both 3-4 teams, though he might fit in with the Giants.

it's meaningless

2 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

If they trade up from 9 they absolutely have to find a way to keep # 40 and next years #1. Say 1 3 & 5 This year and a 2 or 3 next....

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

0% chance we will trade up from 9.  Beane even said we are in the top 10 and don’t need to be.  He knows there is great value to be had at 9 this year, not a chance IMO he moves up.

HOWEVER, I do think it’s quite possible he will trade up somewhere in the draft, just not going up from #9.  

I think it’s possible if a guy they covet is there late in the first and they don’t think he will make it to #40, I could see Beane maybe trading up from 40 to get him.  Like maybe one of the TEs, Ford, OT, or a WR.  

I can see him maybe trading our 3rd and one extra 4th to get back into 2nd round again to grab a coveted guy there too.  

If we DO trade down from 9 and pickup extra picks, then I think it’s very likely he will also trade up somewhere in the first 3 rounds too.

• Like (+1) 2

Based on their FA acquisitions, the Bills are obviously more flexible with their 9th pick.  

I believe if a top 5 talent isn't there at 9, they trade down.  If there is someone there that they thought "no way we have a shot" they will stay and take him.  I would look out for DL/Edge pass rushing talents that may fall due to teams fighting for QB's.  There are many blue chippers that may drop, and you always have that team in the top 10 that takes a player they love from left field.

If they trade down, I'm OK with that. It will mean extra picks either in the 1st round, or multiple 2nd and 3rd's.  With this FO, Beane's record in rounds 1-4 is pretty stellar.  Hence why I see them signing older players to 1-2 year deals in OL and RB.  To me that screams they will be trading down and taking prospects that they want to groom to be starters in a year or two.  Plus, they'll be able to learn how to play, train, and study, the right way from veterans in the league, "high character guys". 

After the first week of FA, based on the age/talent levels of some of the players they signed, I see the Bills focusing on

1. DL/Edge (Edge-wise Hughes is 30 and in last year of deal, and Lawson is in limbo re; 5th year option, Trent Murphy is in a make or break year. The combo of Star/Phillips/Jordan may not be deep in enough in Beane's eyes.  They haven't really done anything FA wise in those areas.  They will in the draft.

2. TE (Kroft's deal is more of a 1 year prove it, and Jason Croom isn't anything to write home about.  I see them taking TE in first two rounds.)

3. OL (with Nsekhe is 33, Long and Feliciano are fringe starters.  Nsekhe can give a player taken in late 1st after trade or 2nd-3rd round time to grow). 

4. RB (We have 3 RB's over 30, that's if Ivory sticks.  Marcus Murphy is 27 and more of a role player.  I see the Bills drafting RB early and be our workhorse in 2020 and beyond after Shady and Gore leave)

5. OLB  (Alexander has maybe a year left.  I see them taking an OL in first 3 rounds to replace him)

And, of course, a CB somewhere

Edited by dezertbill
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

0% chance we will trade up from 9.  Beane even said we are in the top 10 and don’t need to be.  He knows there is great value to be had at 9 this year, not a chance IMO he moves up.

HOWEVER, I do think it’s quite possible he will trade up somewhere in the draft, just not going up from #9.  

I think it’s possible if a guy they covet is there late in the first and they don’t think he will make it to #40, I could see Beane maybe trading up from 40 to get him.  Like maybe one of the TEs, Ford, OT, or a WR.  

I can see him maybe trading our 3rd and one extra 4th to get back into 2nd round again to grab a coveted guy there too.  

If we DO trade down from 9 and pickup extra picks, then I think it’s very likely he will also trade up somewhere in the first 3 rounds too.

I know there are other options at DT Alpha, but if Quinnen gets down to 5 or 6 and they feel he can have a Donald / Fletcher Cox / Chris Jones impact? Suppose you can get it done for a 3rd and a 2020 2nd, maybe a bit more...is it really so outlandish?

• Like (+1) 1

We already know Beane has no problems moving around the board.

Based on everything he's said over the last few months, I really think he's been eying a trade-down this year.

Of course, that all depends on who is available at #9 and what kind of offers other teams make.

Free agency has played out perfectly for us, so that we can maximize value in the draft.  And we still have around $40 million in cap space.

They are clearly targeting the pass rush, and I expect them to make a move to grab another DE within the next few days.  Sounds like they are going to make a nice offer to Ziggy Ansah, if he checks out medically.

Our biggest need was O-Line.  With the guys we've picked up, it's possible we already have our starting five on the roster.  But we could also draft an OT or OG early, slide some people around and go into the season with upgraded depth.  Our second biggest need was WR.  By adding two solid veterans, we are no longer desperate to go here early.  We don't have a clear #1 target, so I still think we draft someone on Day 1-2 here, but it's no longer a desperate situation.

At this point, (in addition to another pass rusher as already mentioned) I think we still need to add another TE and a 3-Tech DT to replace Kyle Williams.  Outside of that, we can literally go with anything when the draft comes around.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cmonnnnnn. Im not saying were trading up but thats not really a good way to tell anything lol