Bills rumored to be a suitor for OG Roger Saffold

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This can not be stressed enough and let's hope and pray that our front office knows this.  Use mid to late rds pks on O-Line that can be developed in time but for now let's add 3 guys in free agency. 

I agree too. Think they need to add a guard and a top flight center - because while I quite like the Spencer Long pickup I like it as a guard. I don't like him as a center. They need ton have some sort of vet RT too whether that is keeping Mills on another short deal or bringing in a similar replacement - but they should draft a young tackle too. Not in round 1 for me because I don't really see the value there unless they trade back but certainly on day 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

BTW I can't see a better fit in this draft for the Bills then TJ Hockenson. He kills 3 birds with 1stone.

#1 - Can block like an animal both in pass pro and especially in run gm. This kid pancakes DE'S on the regular. 

# 2 - An automatic mismatch in the passing gm. He's a fantastic route runner with great hands. 

#3- Culture, Process fit. This kid is an high energy football junkie. He lives bleeds football 24/7 . I can see him growing into a great leader. He has that same passion that Josh displays on the field and I would bet that these 2 will grow into an awesome combo on and off the field.  

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

BTW I can't see a better fit in this draft for the Bills then TJ Hockenson. He kills 3 birds with 1stone.

#1 - Can block like an animal both in pass pro and especially in run gm. This kid pancakes DE'S on the regular. 

# 2 - An automatic mismatch in the passing gm. He's a fantastic route runner with great hands. 

#3- Culture, Process fit. This kid is an high energy football junkie. He lives bleeds football 24/7 . I can see him growing into a great leader. He has that same passion that Josh displays on the field and I would bet that these 2 will grow into an awesome combo on and off the field.  

Hock is a good TE prospect. But they have to trade back if that is the route they are going. No to a TE at #9.

21 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Ugh are we really going to persist with Dawkins at LT when we should be kicking him inside?

I don't see an obvious option out there for getting markedly better at LT. Maybe if they drafted Dillard either later in the 1st or in the 2nd round - but while he would be an upgrade in pass protection at the moment he would be a downgrade in run blocking. Jonah Williams I think is a slightly better version of Dawkins.... a guy who could be serviceable as an NFL LT and elite as an NFL LG.

18 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have said it more then once. The skill position players in FA do nothing for me and the college lineman are not being developed properly. Fix the lines in FA and draft nothing but skill players.

The Notre Dame guys seem to come out just fine. I think it's based on the program honestly. A lot of spread offense schools don't seem to develop linemen or defense. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep - that is exactly where I am. Saffold was kind of in and out his early years in LA. We shouldn't forget he was drafted to play LT and was pretty much a bust there. He only stayed in LA after failing a medical in Oakland. He has been much better since Whitworth arrived to play next to him. He is not an elite guard by any stretch but he would instantly become the best guard on this roster. I'd still prefer Quinton Spain or Ramon Foster but I'd take Saffold. Saffold and Spencer Long would be immediate upgrades at guard on what we put out there in 2018.

A trashcan would be an immediate upgrade. The defender might at least trip over it. I just don't think it makes sense to pick up mediocre guys in a rebuild to replace garbage. Might as well develop someone or aim higher. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t understand why everyone seems to want to move Dawkins to RT.  The kid played very well at LT when he had a competent LG and C playing next to him.  Taking Jonah Williams (or any other OT) at 9 would be a huge mistake, IMO.

He played well for half a season. He gets beat at 1 on 1s a lot. I would hope that the LT can hold his own while being in the highest salary position.

Well he (Saffold) was coached by one of the best being Kromer ! When he was here Ryan Groy was a really good player because i believe he was coached up & Kromer knew how to use his skill set & now under Juan which is gone but the past 2 years Groy hasn't been the player he was under Kromer !

Now if B/lo does get Saffold in FA for $10 mill a yr the Rams will pick up Groy he will go out there for a contract of say $5 mill for 2 yrs & Kromer will have him as their starting G & he will be back to the guy the Bills thought he was when they signed him because of the coach .

Hopefully this new O line coach the Bills have can be a better one than what they had !! 

Edited by T master

16 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A trashcan would be an immediate upgrade. The defender might at least trip over it. I just don't think it makes sense to pick up mediocre guys in a rebuild to replace garbage. Might as well develop someone or aim higher. 

I think Saffold is better than mediocre. I think he is a solid vet. But he isn't my preferred choice because he isn't a guy who I think is every going to totally dominate. Mediocre is DJ Fluker who was offered here as a suggestion yesterday. I am definitely not up for that!

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy would leave a team with a young coach and quarterback, that just went to the Super Bowl, while living in suburban Los Angeles, just to rewind his career by a few years and move to a team with a young QB and coach that hasn’t smelled the Super Bowl in two decades and live in suburban Buffalo, NY. But....we’ll see!

Image result for money gif

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Umm yes please. The $10 doesn't scare me. Sign 3 top lineman. Give them all 5 years at $50m, and give them all $20m year one. We have the room to do it and then after the 1st year, they are all on 4 year deals with $30m remaining. That a $7.5m average. We would have a top OL for Bargan prices for Josh's most important years. Then after this season. We would have a real title shot, right when Brady is done. Filling every hole this year wont work or be a good long term plan

This is absolutely absurd and unheard of.  That being said, it just might be crazy enough to work.  I like it

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they go all in and sign Saffold AND Morse (or Paradis) - Round 1 needs to go to skill positions or D-Line. We have other holes than just the O-Line.

Sounds good to me.

Go Bills!

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Saffold is better than mediocre. I think he is a solid vet. But he isn't my preferred choice because he isn't a guy who I think is every going to totally dominate. Mediocre is DJ Fluker who was offered here as a suggestion yesterday. I am definitely not up for that!

Saffold scored a 72.8 according to PFF rankings good for #9 at his position in NFL. That's out 64 or more guys that played guard. 

20 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have said it more then once. The skill position players in FA do nothing for me and the college lineman are not being developed properly. Fix the lines in FA and draft nothing but skill players.

I totally agree, esp. on the OL.  We need vets to protect and assist Allen, and to help the young OL that will be drafted in the later rounds. 

I'd still go BPA in 1st round, which is likely a DL or TE.  But if OL, I'm still taking OL there.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Saffold scored a 72.8 according to PFF rankings good for #9 at his position in NFL. That's out 64 or more guys that played guard. 

Indeed, and he graded even better last year but he has been a bit up and down in his career and playing next to the best left tackle of his generation has helped. Saffold is a good player, I'd be happy to sign him. I don't think he is the best on the market and he wouldn't be my first choice... but I would not complain at all about bringing him in.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy would leave a team with a young coach and quarterback, that just went to the Super Bowl, while living in suburban Los Angeles, just to rewind his career by a few years and move to a team with a young QB and coach that hasn’t smelled the Super Bowl in two decades and live in suburban Buffalo, NY. But....we’ll see!

????? is easy to believe.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, John from Riverside said:

It all depends on whether we can actually get better OG's

A quality OG next to Dawkins would help him out a ton

When you think about the importance of bringing in a player of Richie Incognito's caliber in being a pro bowler then that player will be worth over 10 mill per*. That's only 5-6 guys in the entire NFL making over 10 mill, and the Cowboys Zack Martin is the highest paid at 14 mill. (*average pay)

Saffold will be 31 this year and his base pay is 5,375,000.with yearly cash 6,950,000. So, it remains to be seen what price the Bills would need to pay to bring him to Buffalo. 

In my view, it kinda makes more sense to find and draft a top OG considering all the penetrating, pass rushing DTs in the league. The Bills need a top LG who can block those DTs and pull for the run game. I know I'm greedy but I want an all pro, pro bowler at LG to help that center, LT. Center is another position I would want to see a top caliber player like Kent Hull. Build that offensive line right! 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Even though he will 31...............

Is the rate going to be 5 years for 50 million?

Does it really matter at the end of the day?

Like always it will be about the guaranteed money... is he seeing the last two years  of the deal and collecting $10 million per year? Only if his play still warrants it..

On 2/28/2019 at 7:37 AM, 315Mafia said:

IF the Bills could land Rodger Saffold and Matt Paradis, that would go along way towards solidifying the o- line.

then we add Alabama OT Jonah Williams in rd1 and flip Dawkins to right tackle

Wouldn't that be a complete 180° to last year's line. Still landing the players might be the tougher task though.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, John from Riverside said:

It all depends on whether we can actually get better OG's

A quality OG next to Dawkins would help him out a ton

I cannot agree with this more. Dawkins was no issue at all as a rookie with Incognito next to him. He didn't seem to fall off in 2018 until Teller was next to him. At that point I think it became clear that he was struggling to do his job while also making sure Teller was ready to do his. It would be a big help to Dawkins to have a vet who doesn't need any help there (or to be the one dishing calls to Dawkins)

5 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

$10M per year for an offensive guard who will be 31 in June? Oof.

I'm not sure that's the way to go.

His age isn't important. Is he a quality lineman is the question. No reason a lineman can't be effective in his early 30's.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2