Report: Bengals looking to trade WR John Ross

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But that’s why the KC move was so risky and genius.  Most teams don’t do that.  And obviously, they won the lottery with Mahomes.  

Helps when your coachs are Andy Reid and Matt Nagy in year 1.  And not... Marvin Lewis and company.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Really dumb of them to draft him that high. I seem to remember him injuring himself on one of his 40 yard dash attempts. He had injury bust written all over him, in my opinion.

But he destroyed our team in preseason. He clearly has potential, and for a late round pick he could provide some upside. Just has to get and stay healthy.

Sounds like Foster before he put things together.

Yeah - Tyreke hill is incredibly fast but he's also good at... catching passes.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This makes a ton of sense, if you can grab him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I never understood pairing the fastest guy in the NFL with noodle armed Andy Dalton. This would be an excellent fit for us.

Cant agree giving up a Day 2 pick for him...

This is a deep WR class and there will still be quality left at the top of the 3rd..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Tony Pauline?  The guy is about as credible as Dunkirk Don

?

I can link all the reports on this if you want from PFT, ESPN, Ian rapaport, etc but Pauline had it first. He’s a draft analyst for SI. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

He's an interesting prospect but it depends on how we feel on McKenzie. If they like him potentially long term , that gives us 2 legit speedsters with Foster/McKenzie , Zay isn't too shabby himself Speed wise. If they like McKenzie as much as I think they do, I don't see much interest

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/750142/2019/01/04/will-new-bengals-coach-be-able-to-improve-billy-price-and-john-ross/

Long article from The Athletic, but it includes an excerpt regarding John Ross.

I think he's worth a flier with a Day 3 pick at least. I'd guess we're talking about a 5th and I'd be fine committing to that.

Cool article. Made me think of Zay Jones , he definitely needs to keep improving but showed clear improvement and put up decent numbers for this offense, I think he can have a breakout year 3 , I'm a rare Zay optimist..

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, the Bengals would be idiots to do that but why not.  I don’t get why teams look to move sunken costs for crappy draft picks.  Teams overrate lower draft picks.  

Right. We could probably get a 5th for Zay, but meh.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd rather have an aging AJ Green or up and coming Tyler Boyd all things considered. 

No offense, but I think we'd all prefer Green or Boyd.

The reason Ross is available is because he's got warts. The great GM's pick and choose the correct diamonds in the rough.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This makes a ton of sense, if you can grab him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I never understood pairing the fastest guy in the NFL with noodle armed Andy Dalton. This would be an excellent fit for us.

Whoa. That's a hefty price tag. The Bills shouldn't offer more than a 4th or 5th for a bust WR who's team is trying to ship him out.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He only has 21 career receptions, but 7 of them went for TD's.

Interesting.

Maybe there is some untapped potential there, but this is probably Corey Coleman 2.0.

It seems crazy but Coleman was actually so good in college. He won the biletnikoff award. At least it seems he’s caught on with the NYG.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It seems crazy but Coleman was actually so good in college. He won the biletnikoff award. At least it seems he’s caught on with the NYG.

I thought Coleman was a steal when the Browns drafted him.

Shows how VERY LITTLE I know.

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I thought Coleman was a steal when the Browns drafted him.

Shows how VERY LITTLE I know.

Local media are still so pissed they passed on Michael Thomas who played right down the road for Coleman. College production and 40 time clouded their judgment over pure nfl traits.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was picked-up by them but he had 5 receptions for 71 yards in 8 games and 1 start.  He's a RFA and they might tender him at the lowest level just for laughs.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Whoa. That's a hefty price tag. The Bills shouldn't offer more than a 4th or 5th for a bust WR who's team is trying to ship him out.

He's a bust? Only been in the league 2 seasons. He was injured all rookie season, had 7 TD catches season 2. He is the perfect type of WR for Allen, our Mike Wallace.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cant agree giving up a Day 2 pick for him...

This is a deep WR class and there will still be quality left at the top of the 3rd..

This is a very bad WR class, when Golden Tate is about to get paid as a top tier WR in FA you know it's a bad draft class, I like Tate but he isn't a top WR in this league imo. The guy came back from injury and just put up 7TD with Dalton and his backup QB throwing to him, I like him very much as a TY Hilton type of player. 

4 hours ago, Jeebus said:

I would say it depends on what they want for compensation. the ability to stretch the field with that type of speed and Allen's arm would definitely keep defenses honest and they would have to compensate. it could open up a lot of underneath throws and even the run game.

whoever covers him is going to have to have help because he can outrun just about anyone on the field.  If played right that could mean another touchdown a game not counting what that frees up for everyone else.  Ross didn't have many catches while he was in Cincinnati, but he still scored about seven touchdowns in those few catches

He really doesn't stretch the field that's the prb. That's why they want to trade him. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan1988 said:

He really doesn't stretch the field that's the prb. That's why they want to trade him. 

He has $4.8M guaranteed in salary over the next two seasons. The Bengals would be on the hook for that if they cut him so this is a salary dump. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This is a very bad WR class, when Golden Tate is about to get paid as a top tier WR in FA you know it's a bad draft class, I like Tate but he isn't a top WR in this league imo. The guy came back from injury and just put up 7TD with Dalton and his backup QB throwing to him, I like him very much as a TY Hilton type of player. 

There will be a better receiver left on Day 2 to use their pick on rather than swap it for Ross

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I cant see anyone trading a 2nd for a guy with injury history and 22 career catches in 2 NFL seasons.  I think a 3rd is possible, but more likely a 4th.  

I am fine with using one of our 4ths on him.  Wont like using a 3rd, and would hate using our 2nd on him.