Report: Bengals looking to trade WR John Ross

YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, nucci said:

we need guys who can get open on slants and post patterns that are 15 yards or so...can't go deep all the time and right now our pass blocking is not great

Correct.  Having a guy on the feild at all times who can run past their defender opens those passes up.   Need more than just foster.   I'm not saying add a deep threat only.  But, that is a large part of Allen's game.  Enhance it.  In Fa add a slot wr, or possession Wr.  Draft a guy with #1 potential.  Adding a deep threat doesnt stop me from doing the rest.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I will say, when’s he not hurt, he finds a way to score.  Shocking pick though he was a good player in college.  Personally, I think it would be stupid for the Bengals to trade him now since his value is so low. 

But if it was for a 3rd or later, I’d be really interesting (depending on his physical). I love former 1st round picks who struggle on their first team.  

I would be into kicking the tires on a trade, but:

1. Better WRs have been traded for less than the 3rd round pick you suggested.  While its not out of the question he could fetch a 3rd, I think its more likely a late 3rd or 4th that can nab him. I mean he has 22 catches in his 2 year career.  Bengals are rebuilding and AJ is aging, so why would they want to give up on their first round pick from 2 years ago who has barely seen the field so far?   My guess is he is too one dimensional, otherwise he should be seen as a key future building block as AJ enters his twilight years.  Not to mention, AJ has dealt with his own slew of injuries.  
  2. This is a deep WR class, so I think the Bills top 10 3rd round pick is too rich for him.  There will be some nice WR and RB options on the board there for us.  And if we nab a WR in first 2 rounds, I think that 3rd would be better used on one of the talented RB prospects.  Not to mention someone like Marquise Brown could fall to our pick in the 3rd too.

My offer would be one of our 4th round picks if I am the Bills.  I dont think I would pay more than that.  

I would say it depends on what they want for compensation. the ability to stretch the field with that type of speed and Allen's arm would definitely keep defenses honest and they would have to compensate. it could open up a lot of underneath throws and even the run game.

whoever covers him is going to have to have help because he can outrun just about anyone on the field.  If played right that could mean another touchdown a game not counting what that frees up for everyone else.  Ross didn't have many catches while he was in Cincinnati, but he still scored about seven touchdowns in those few catches

1 hour ago, 947 said:

The dude has 21 catches on 60 targets in his NFL career. There's no way the bengals get higher than a late 4th. Another cautionary tale about why game film matters a lot more than Combine numbers.

I'd be ok with trading a low pick for him, but his skillset is awfully similar to Foster.

Sort of. Both are fast WRs. But Foster is bigger/taller. Ross is a smaller, shifty, more explosive type. Could be a slot guy.

Ross

HT: 5'11" WT: 188LBS.

POSITION: WR

SCHOOL: Washington

ARM LENGTH: 31 1/2"

HANDS: 8 3/4"

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.22 SEC
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH
NFL COMPARISON

DeSean Jackson

BOTTOM LINE

Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.

———————

Foster 

6' 2"
196 lbs
32 1/8”
HANDS
9 1/4”
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.41SEC
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 31.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 116.0 INCH

BOTTOM LINE

Size and speed prospect with sudden feet to uncover underneath and the burst to get open vertically, but a poor feel for the position. Foster is a much better athlete than receiver and was unable to find snaps until this season because he was behind better football players. He’s expected to workout well and may find a spot at the back of a roster or on a practice squad early in his career, but he appears to lack the football instincts and playmaking consistency to stick long-term.

From the scouting reports I've heard, he's terrible at tracking the ball in the air.  Once he gets the ball in his hands he can make stuff happen and he was pretty productive in the red zone where things are tighter, but he's a major let down due to his inability to make a play on a ball in the air downfield.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

From the scouting reports I've heard, he's terrible at tracking the ball in the air.  Once he gets the ball in his hands he can make stuff happen and he was pretty productive in the red zone where things are tighter, but he's a major let down due to his inability to make a play on a ball in the air downfield.

I think he’s a better fit in the slot, could also be in the Isaiah McKenzie role the way they were using him end of last year 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not saying Andy Dalton is great.  But he is a qb that has been to playoffs multiple times

Lost every 1.  0 for 5.  and no playoffs in the past 3 seasons.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

This smells like the Corey Coleman thing to me. In Coleman's case, he was apparently a kinisthetic learner and was unable to learn NFL playbooks effectively. What's Ross's deal? 

Aren't the Bills still paying Coleman?

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

He can make a case that he was mismanaged by Marvin Lewis.

Every player on every Bengals roster for the past 16 years could make that same case...

Really dumb of them to draft him that high. I seem to remember him injuring himself on one of his 40 yard dash attempts. He had injury bust written all over him, in my opinion.

But he destroyed our team in preseason. He clearly has potential, and for a late round pick he could provide some upside. Just has to get and stay healthy.

13 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Sounds like Foster before he put things together.