Report: Bengals looking to trade WR John Ross

YoloinOhio

John Ross catch rate was around 37% in 2018.  

Im all for taking a chance on him for one of our 5ths, but don’t let the 7TDs cloud the risk factor here.  

There are WRs in this draft with similar skill sets we can draft in rounds 4 and 5.  Trading for Ross is not a must.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

John Ross catch rate was around 37% in 2018.  

Im all for taking a chance on him for one of our 5ths, but don’t let the 7TDs cloud the risk factor here.  

There are WRs in this draft with similar skill sets we can draft in rounds 4 and 5.  Trading for Ross is not a must.

There is no one in the 4th round who will be as explosively fast.

Edited by BringBackOrton

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Speed is only one factor that can help a WR. Plenty of fast, explosive guys flame out of the league, and plenty of slower guys have 15 year careers.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

You don’t need to be as fast as Ross to be explosive given Ross had insane 40 time.  There are some speedsters expected to go in rounds 3 to 5.  And there are always WRs that go later than expected every year, so some of the 2nd/3rd projected guys will likely be available a little later than expected.   

And honestly I would rather use a 3rd on someone like Isabella rather than a 4th on Ross.  It’s also possible Marquise Brown could slip to 3rd too after injury and the amount of WRs who raised their stock at the combine.  If that happens then run to the podium in the 3rd.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You don’t need to be as fast as Ross to be explosive given Ross had insane 40 time.  There are some speedsters expected to go in rounds 3 to 5.  And there are always WRs that go later than expected every year, so some of the 2nd/3rd projected guys will likely be available a little later than expected.   

And honestly I would rather use a 3rd on someone like Isabella rather than a 4th on Ross.  It’s also possible Marquise Brown could slip to 3rd too after injury and the amount of WRs who raised their stock at the combine.  If that happens then run to the podium in the 3rd.  

Isabella is now a second - at least.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I suppose that’s “possible” but acquiring Ross is a guarantee if you can trade for him now.

I think late round picks are INSANELY overrated. We have this argument for RB’s all the time. Lots of RB’s who are acquired in the 4th, fifth and sixth rounds are JAGs who contribute minimally. Yet, that’s everyone’s plan for shoring up the position. WR is no different, IMO. 

I dont think there will be a 4th round WR available with Ross’ upside.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Speed is only one factor that can help a WR. Plenty of fast, explosive guys flame out of the league, and plenty of slower guys have 15 year careers.

Excellent, which slower guy do you want instead of Ross?

Edited by BringBackOrton

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No preference. I'm sure the Bills have plans to bring guys in. Plus, it doesn't appear Ross is going to be traded, so you can want him all you want, but that won't get a trade done.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It would not take a 4th. This is only about the Bengals dumping his guaranteed contract. They’d probably flip picks 181 for 183 and Ross.  And I still wouldn’t do it because he can’t play WR. 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, racketmaster said:

Recent Bills 4th and 5th round picks:

2018: Tarron Johnson, Siran Neal and Wyatt Teller

2017: Matt Millano and Nathan Peterman

2016: Cardale Jones and Jonathan Williams

2015: Karlos Williams

2014: Ross Cockrell and Cyril Richardson

2013: Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks

2012: Ron Brooks, Zebre Sanders and Tank Carder

2011: D’Norris Searcy, Chris Hariston and Johnny White

2010: Marcus Easley and Ed Wang

I don’t want to minimize the value of a 4th or 5th round pick but it is relatively rare you are going to miss out on a really good player in those rounds. More often than not you are talking about special teams players and solid depth rather than difference makers. So I think it is worth the risk for the shot at a difference maker (elite speed guy that would be a good fit with a qb that has a rocket arm). 

I like the logic, here, @racketmaster, but I think we need more time to judge the value of this regimes' 4th and 5th round picks. The 2017 draft had Whaley's stench on it, so that's hard to argue over; you almost have to toss it out as a partial-past regime draft. 2018 hasn't panned out fully, yet. Teller has potential, but we aren't sure what he will be. Taron Johnson looks like gold, and Neal I'm on the fence over. 2018's 5th round could end up producing a stud and two starters.

Thanks for the reference of past years, though; it's good to consider. 

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It would not take a 4th. This is only about the Bengals dumping his guaranteed contract. They’d probably flip picks 181 for 183 and Ross.  And I still wouldn’t do it because he can’t play WR. 

No way, they would never accept that.

Also, you’re insane if you wouldn’t take that.

15 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I like the logic, here, @racketmaster, but I think we need more time to judge the value of this regimes' 4th and 5th round picks. The 2017 draft had Whaley's stench on it, so that's hard to argue over; you almost have to toss it out as a partial-past regime draft. 2018 hasn't panned out fully, yet. Teller has potential, but we aren't sure what he will be. Taron Johnson looks like gold, and Neal I'm on the fence over. 2018's 5th round could end up producing a stud and two starters.

Thanks for the reference of past years, though; it's good to consider. 

Lots of 4th and 5th rounders semi-contribute in the early years of their contracts because you’re giving them a chance. That doesn’t make them good or successful picks. Case in point, Duke Williams as a rookie and sophomore got snaps, Meeks got some snaps, Karlos played a lot, Brooks got looks, Hairston, Easley etc.

None of them were good. Neal getting a snap or 5 per game means nothing.

Edited by BringBackOrton

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No way, they would never accept that.

Also, you’re insane if you wouldn’t take that.

I guess I’m just smart enough to not want the Bills to eat Ross’s $4.8M guaranteed salary (and cap space) over the next two years since I recognize that he’s not good enough to be in the NFL at any price.  But that’s just me.  I look at more than 40 times. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I guess I’m just smart enough to not want the Bills to eat Ross’s $4.8M guaranteed salary (and cap space) over the next two years since I recognize that he’s not good enough to be in the NFL at any price.  But that’s just me.  I look at more than 40 times. 

Do you look at touchdowns?  

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

$4.8M! Jeez. That’s like.......back-up Center money. Truly a cap-prohibitive cost.

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

His TD numbers say different

Lets not act like this is a guy who cant get on the field

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the idea of Ross for one of our 4ths or 5ths. He would fit well with Allen. 

I would play him in the slot. He has short area quickness as well as deep speed.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lots of 4th and 5th rounders semi-contribute in the early years of their contracts because you’re giving them a chance. That doesn’t make them good or successful picks. Case in point, Duke Williams as a rookie and sophomore got snaps, Meeks got some snaps, Karlos played a lot, Brooks got looks, Hairston, Easley etc.

None of them were good. Neal getting a snap or 5 per game means nothing.

I believe both of my statements were hedged bets, at most:

"2018 hasn't panned out fully, yet. Teller has potential, but we aren't sure what he will be. Taron Johnson looks like gold, and Neal I'm on the fence over. 2018's 5th round could end up producing a stud and two starters."

And I said I was on the fence over Neal...

I'm not sure if you're trying to make an argument, but there's really not one to be made here. I said the jury's out on 2018, but we can't look to the past regimes' drafts to indicate how successful this regime will be at finding diamonds in the rough in the 4th and 5th round. We clear?

52 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Do you look at touchdowns?  

This is a great example of someone trying to win an argument instead of trying to figure out the right course of action.  Let’s look at the whole picture, shall we?

He was targeted 60 times.  He caught only 21 of those passes for a mere 210 yards, but he did have 7 TDs.  5 were intercepted though.  And this was over two seasons in which he played in 16 games.

Whats that all mean?  Well, a catch rate of 35% is abysmal, but getting a TD on 33% of the times he actually caught the ball is sure nice.  The 5 INTs are an issue though - especially considering his catch rate.  It points to a WR who doesn’t run his routes correctly/well or gets knocked off them easily.  The TD to Catch rate points to a blazing fast player since he’s not winning jump balls at his size. Also he’s had injury issues I see.

In any event, I see no reason to guarantee such a player $4.8M.  I wouldn’t do it if he was a street FA and I sure as hell wouldn’t give draft pick compensation on top of that.  If he is cut I’d take a flyer on him, but I wouldn’t guarantee him anything.  The ONLY way I’d consider giving up even a very late pick for him is if responsibility for his guaranteed salary reverted back to Cincy if we cut him - and that’s a rare trade clause. 

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I suppose that’s “possible” but acquiring Ross is a guarantee if you can trade for him now.

I think late round picks are INSANELY overrated. We have this argument for RB’s all the time. Lots of RB’s who are acquired in the 4th, fifth and sixth rounds are JAGs who contribute minimally. Yet, that’s everyone’s plan for shoring up the position. WR is no different, IMO. 

I dont think there will be a 4th round WR available with Ross’ upside.

Ross has definitely gotten off to a slow start in the NFL due to injuries and who knows what else.  But he's got blazing speed and he was highly productive in college, playing at the highest level.  Seems like a pretty good investment of a fourth round pick, if that in fact is the asking price.  

54 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

$4.8M! Jeez. That’s like.......back-up Center money. Truly a cap-prohibitive cost.

Thats not a lot of money to risk on even a decent player.  Ross isn’t nearly that though.  The Bengals don’t want him and their WR corps sucks after AJ Green.  Ask yourself why that is.  He’d also be the highest paid WR on the team currently (pre FA and draft).  And if we had to cut him he’d have a higher dead cap than even Clay.  Sorry if I’m not in favor of the Bills pissing away that kind of cap space. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/bengals-say-they-have-plans-to-get-john-ross-more-involved/

Bengals say they have plans to get John Ross more involved

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 6, 2019, 8:12 AM EST
gettyimages-8471578781-e1527447304998.jp
Getty Images

After a report that the Bengals were looking to trade wide receiver John Ross, the Bengals insisted that he’s still in their plans. But what, specifically, are their plans for him?

New Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan indicated that they think Ross, the all-time Scouting Combine 40-yard dash record holder, should be able to do more downfield. Ross scored seven touchdowns last season, but he caught just 21 passes for 210 yards.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thats not a lot of money to risk on even a decent player.  Ross isn’t nearly that though.  The Bengals don’t want him and their WR corps sucks after AJ Green.  Ask yourself why that is.  He’d also be the highest paid WR on the team currently (pre FA and draft).  And if we had to cut him he’d have a higher dead cap than even Clay.  Sorry if I’m not in favor of the Bills pissing away that kind of cap space. 

Why would we cut him? At worst, he’s what he is right now, a player who is blazing fast who can score TD’s. Sounds good to me.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Why would we cut him? At worst, he’s what he is right now, a player who is blazing fast who can score TD’s. Sounds good to me.

If he was that, then Cincy would not be looking to dump him.  But you can pretend if you want.  I just hope the Bills are more grounded in reality.  Judging by the about face the Bengals did it’s obvious no team was interested.  A week ago they put him on the block and now they’re talking about how they want to get him more involved in the offense.  LOL.  Zero interest in trading for him from the league. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

This is a great example of someone trying to win an argument instead of trying to figure out the right course of action.  Let’s look at the whole picture, shall we?

He was targeted 60 times.  He caught only 21 of those passes for a mere 210 yards, but he did have 7 TDs.  5 were intercepted though.  And this was over two seasons in which he played in 16 games.

Whats that all mean?  Well, a catch rate of 35% is abysmal, but getting a TD on 33% of the times he actually caught the ball is sure nice.  The 5 INTs are an issue though - especially considering his catch rate.  It points to a WR who doesn’t run his routes correctly/well or gets knocked off them easily.  The TD to Catch rate points to a blazing fast player since he’s not winning jump balls at his size. Also he’s had injury issues I see.

In any event, I see no reason to guarantee such a player $4.8M.  I wouldn’t do it if he was a street FA and I sure as hell wouldn’t give draft pick compensation on top of that.  If he is cut I’d take a flyer on him, but I wouldn’t guarantee him anything.  The ONLY way I’d consider giving up even a very late pick for him is if responsibility for his guaranteed salary reverted back to Cincy if we cut him - and that’s a rare trade clause. 

Didn’t know that I was in an argument.

most likely, Ross stinks.  I just don’t think that we know who he is for sure yet.  And Dalton probably isn’t the guy to take advantage of his deep speed.

who knows, maybe he clicks with Allen.  Worth a late round flyer if they want to move him.  A Corey Coleman like situation with boom potential if it works out.  Any draft pick is an unknown anyway.

With Allen, I don’t mind kicking the tires on world class speed at WR.

Edited by SWATeam

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

If he was that, then Cincy would not be looking to dump him.  But you can pretend if you want.  I just hope the Bills are more grounded in reality.  Judging by the about face the Bengals did it’s obvious no team was interested.  A week ago they put him on the block and now they’re talking about how they want to get him more involved in the offense.  LOL.  Zero interest in trading for him from the league. 

Dang Barley you're real angry.  Who hurt you?