Which W-L Outcomes Would You Consider “Success” in 2019?

Which W-L Outcomes Would You Consider “Success” in 2019?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. What Would You Consider “Success” in 2019?

• 10-6, Wild Card Home Game (Loss); First Double Digit Win Total Since 1999
    • 9-7, Wild Card Away Game (Win)
    • Either of the Above
    • Super Bowl or Bust!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/31/2019 at 08:49 AM

At some point, the foundation laid by ‘the process’ over the past couple years, combined with impending FA pickups and another draft class, must translate into consistent wins on the field.

Many of us believe they are on the right track to accomplish this, but what realistically does that mean for 2019? What is the minimum in terms of wins that will be necessary to get to, no matter what else happens?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hmm.Either of those choices would be success.They are  better than what the Bills ended at this season and both choices you have also have playoff appearances., I mean so both of those alone obviously would be success to me. Kind of a weird poll but I'll go with the "either" selection.

• Like (+1) 2

Need double digit wins in regular season  for it to be a success.   10 - 6 seems like a big difference compared to 9 -7.  Especially since the Bills have reached 9 wins 3 times this century and none of those teams ever came close to scaring New England.

If we have a home playoff game it means the Bills are Division winners.   So that would be great to end Brady’s streak.  But ultimately the goal is to advance in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to say now not knowing what the offseason will bring.  Assuming we give Josh Allen some help and our defense doesn't regress, a successful season would be to win the division and/or get to double digit wins.  All bets are off though if Josh Allen misses a lot of games to injury. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Hmm.Either of those choices would be success.They are  better than what the Bills ended at this season and both choices you have also have playoff appearances., I mean so both of those alone obviously would be success to me. Kind of a weird poll but I'll go with the "either" selection.

I figured it was most likely that 9-7 or 10-6 would result in a playoff berth, but would you rather have a weaker reg season win total but a wild card win or a double digit win rec for the first time in 20 years—also agree with another poster that 8-8 just wouldn’t feel like a success under any circumstances, so it seems like 9 wins is the minimum bar? 

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At some point, the foundation laid by ‘the process’ over the past couple years, combined with impending FA pickups and another draft class, must translate into consistent wins on the field.

Many of us believe they are on the right track to accomplish this, but what realistically does that mean for 2019? What is the minimum in terms of wins that will be necessary to get to, no matter what else happens?

I'm thinking that a few members would view 8-8 to be sufficient ;)  I mean they predicted only 4 wins this season.  8 would double that 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm thinking that a few members would view 8-8 to be sufficient ;)  I mean they predicted only 4 wins this season.  8 would double that 

They’ll simply move the goal posts and conveniently forget that—but honestly I’ll be surprised if we come in at 8-8 or less next year...Plus I don’t want to see the meltdown on these boards if that were to happen ??‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

You skewed the poll to give no statistical relevance

No, I drew a line at 8-8 from a purely W-L standpoint as that would almost assuredly not get us into the playoffs, but was curious what folks here would consider a better interim step—more regular season wins or one playoff win, simple as that. Obviously the SB option was tongue in cheek, much as we’d love that. 

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

They’ll simply move the goal posts and conveniently forget that—but honestly I’ll be surprised if we come in at 8-8 or less next year...Plus I don’t want to see the meltdown on these boards if that were to happen ??‍♂️

why should thing be any different now? 

:D 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I can take a season without the playoffs, however, we need to still legitimately be in the hunt mid December and clear evidence by performance we are real real close! 2019 is a make or break year for the current Bills!

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I figured it was most likely that 9-7 or 10-6 would result in a playoff berth, but would you rather have a weaker reg season win total but a wild card win or a double digit win rec for the first time in 20 years—also agree with another poster that 8-8 just wouldn’t feel like a success under any circumstances, so it seems like 9 wins is the minimum bar? 

It depends on overall performance though I tend to agree that 8 - 8 reeks of 17 years of accepted mediocrity! They (FO and coaching) are set up for 2019, they need to produce and they owe to the fans to demonstrate the process works! If the right moves are made we can be playoff competitors for years to come!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the poll is setting the bar a little too high, honestly.  If we're a playoff contender next year (not necessarily a Super Bowl contender), I would consider that a success.  It's hard for me to define playoff contender, but I think it's basically a team that *should* make the playoffs, even if it doesn't.  If we have the point differential of a 10-6 team, but get a bunch of unlucky breaks and go 9-7 or 8-8, I might still be happy (but disappointed) with the season.  If we go 10-6 and miss out on the playoffs via tiebreakers, that'll suck, but the season will still be a success.

If we have a 2017-like season, where we probably should've gone 7-9, but lucked into a 9-7 record and crazy playoff tiebreakers, I'll be happy, but it won't bode as well for 2020 as the above scenarios.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Progress. It really is that simple and that imprecise. Progress.

Lol I see what you are saying. But would you really consider a 7-9 record with the bills looking slightly better a success next year? That would technically be "progress".

The AFC East is one retirement away from busting wide open. If Brady retires at the end of this season (a distinct possibility) then the seemingly endless cycle of just praying for a wildcard is over. If it happens next season (and if Brady retires, could Bellichick maybe follow him out the door?), then both Miami, and New York are going into the season with new HCs, and the Bills could find themselves on top of the division. Then, this becomes a very different discussion.

3 hours ago, kevnallen said:

Stretch Goal: Win the division.

I believe that the Patriots are vulnerable at this point. Gronk and Brady aren't what they used to be. Tune the roster to beat the Patriots from a match-up perspective.

I don't see it as a stretch. Patriots are on the way down. We should have won the home game. JA starts and we do. Next year, we sweep the bastards!

13 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The "some point" you reference is 2019 IMO.

Another bad record and McD/Beane/Both is/are gone.

I would say "success" is a winning record.  9-7 or better.  Though that's really around where this team has lived for 2 decades.

They are supposed to be building something better than that; like a team that looks like a solid playoff team all year long.

For me it is less about W-L. They need to beat and/or play good football against good football teams. We split a bad Jets team. Split an average dolphins team. Lost to 7 playoff teams. 

If the Bills go 8-8 next year and 4-4 against playoff teams or teams over .500, I’ll know we are moving in the right direction. 

We are currently a 6-10 team, so 8-8 is an improvement, just not an exeptable one.

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The AFC East is one retirement away from busting wide open. If Brady retires at the end of this season (a distinct possibility) then the seemingly endless cycle of just praying for a wildcard is over. If it happens next season (and if Brady retires, could Bellichick maybe follow him out the door?), then both Miami, and New York are going into the season with new HCs, and the Bills could find themselves on top of the division. Then, this becomes a very different discussion.

My ultimate success for next year is to take the division with Brady still playing.

The past Five 1st Round QBs all led their teams to division titles in their second seasons.

So it’s a pretty high bar for Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.  (Jackson off the hook for his Rookie Season).

Obviously only Darnold or Allen can accomplish that in 2019 between the two of them.

So I’m going to say the ceiling for 2019 is Division Title and the floor is Wild Card.

Anything less than Wild Card such trigger a Seriosus re evaluation in the 2020 off season.

19 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

10-6 but with a playoff win.

Really hoping for 12-4 and making it to the AFC Championship.

Dreaming 15-1 Super Bowl Champions !!!

Heck with it , 19-0 !!!

Like Buffalo Barbarian says...

Super Bowl or bust

19 and 0 baby!!!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!!! ??

Edited by The Senator
  • Awesome! (+1) 1