How old were you when you realized the whole Santa thing is a hoax?

BuffaloBill

6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Somewhere around 7 or 8. My grandmother, god bless her soul, always dressed up as santa for me and my cousin. I had a feeling it was her, but after she passed away santa never came around anymore. 

That’s really sad but yet oddly humorous :D

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

My Mom still writes from Santa on her presents to me.  Oh wait...

Does your mom have a big belly and a white beard? 

My youngest was around 7 and my boss at the bank was asking “he doesn’t really still believe in Santa does he? Is he slow?” I didn’t slap the %^$#@, but I considered it. My son is considerably smarter and more successful than she ever was, but he knew enough to stay quiet as the gravy train might end! Play it safe!  

Edited by Augie

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Our nine year old just made us fess up on this. 

I think most kids have a period of doubt but don’t want to admit it.

of course..if they know I know they are Santa..maybe the gifts end!!!

I was early..youngest in a family always knows early..i want to say 7 at the latest

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dude... The Big Guy is in the house (thread).

Santa has a crack team of elves leading his legal team.  I would retract this statement.  @BringBackFergy is the head barrister elf.  You don't wanna mess with him.

You, sir, have been reported to the Big Guy!!

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I suspected at about seven and confirmed by the time I turned eight.  It is amazing how gullible we are when we were wee little ones.

Well this was a buzz kill way to start the day. I guess as long as the tooth ferry and easter bunny are real I'll be okay though.

14 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I wouldn't call it a hoax, i kind of wish i was still able to 'believe'

A few of the suckiest horrible things have been announced by close friends the last week, they are collecting their various resources and learning to cope with the immediate and get ready for the aftermath, and they are doing okay.

I'm fine and will count my blessings at this time of year, my turn will come...  and pitching in where I can on the other matters.

I wonder about my (just turning) 9 year old son.  He plays hockey with lots of older kids, and many of his neighborhood friends are older (4th - 6th grade).  I tell my wife there is no way, at his age and with all that influence, that he still believes in Santa.  She disagrees.

He still plays along very convincingly, but I think he does it to placate us because he knows he’s getting presents, and because of his little sister (5).  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wonder about my (just turning) 9 year old son.  He plays hockey with lots of older kids, and many of his neighborhood friends are older (4th - 6th grade).  I tell my wife there is no way, at his age and with all that influence, that he still believes in Santa.  She disagrees.

He still plays along very convincingly, but I think he does it to placate us because he knows he’s getting presents, and because of his little sister (5).  

My son was 3 months away from his 11th birthday and was still hanging on.  I thought it was kind of old, but I learned from other local parents at the time that their children were still believing, too.  I loved that he hung on so long.  Except for that stupid ***** Elf on a Shelf.  Whoever invented that should be tarred and feathered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'll gladly join in on any sort of posse that forms to take on that task

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My son was 3 months away from his 11th birthday and was still hanging on.  I thought it was kind of old, but I learned from other local parents at the time that their children were still believing, too.  I loved that he hung on so long.  Except for that stupid ***** Elf on a Shelf.  Whoever invented that should be tarred and feathered.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

of course..if they know I know they are Santa..maybe the gifts end!!!

I was early..youngest in a family always knows early..i want to say 7 at the latest

Yeah, part of telling our oldest this week was threatening her if she ever told her younger sisters.  

• Haha (+1) 2

My mom was always pretty open with us kids early on that this was all in good fun, and didn't try to threaten that St. Nick wouldn't show up for bad behavior, etc., so I never had "that moment" where it all came crashing down...just kind of knew all along as far as I can remember (probably helped along by the fact I was the youngest). But didn't change the fact that Christmas always was and still is, my fav holiday for many other reasons. That said, my wife has put knowledge of all of this on total lockdown in our house now, safer than Fort Knox with our kids. But my oldest who's about to turn 6, is sure asking a lot of problematic questions when it comes to Elf on the Shelf, and the whole thing may come to a screeching halt with her soon as a result ;). @Gugny is right, whoever invented that one needs a stern letter to the editor sent over.    

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My friend’s 12 year old son was still a believer, and his parents thought that was weird, so they “hired” another older child to break the news to him.  I thought was an interesting choice by the parents.

And F the elf on a shelf.  

I was the oldest so I had to pretend to still believe for a couple years even when I knew what the deal was.  Truth is I didn't want to believe that Santa wasn't real, that is probably the first real coming of age thing you experience in your life.  Christmas loses some of the magic at that point but I had no problem playing along for my younger brother's sake and I can remember being pissed when he eventually found out about it from his buddy but for whatever reason I really tried to cling on to childhood for as long as possible.  Didn't care for the middle school years much at all because I hadn't come out of my shell yet and missed the true childhood fun of Elementary School.  Luckily I was able to grow out of that and enjoyed the fruits of high school life :flirt:

• Like (+1) 1

I was the youngest of five, so the last to know.

During my sixth year, I started planning to find this Santa Claus guy.

Around Thanksgiving, I came up with an idea.

My room was at a location where anyone watching TV could not hear.

I correctly figured out that I had never fallen asleep while jumping, so when I was told to go to bed, I would simply jump on  my bed all night until the guy showed up.

I jumped for a very long time, expending lots of energy.

A long time.

I got so tired from this that eventually I collapsed, and my siblings had to wake me up on Christmas day.

When I told them of my failed strategy, they exposed the thing, in sympathy.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have a friend that got a Thanos action figure and had Thanos turn elf into dust.  Problem solved.  ?