Where does everyone stand on this lost season?

Dadonkadonk

This is the opposite of a lost season, it's a found season.  We found our future for the 1st time since Jim Kelly came here in 1986.  We have what will probably turn into the greatest rookie class in team history.  Not only did we have a great draft but we were able to find starters among the undrafted free agents.  Take a look at what other teams have spent to get their QB.  We managed to move up from 21 to 7 to draft Josh Allen and didn't have to give up another #1 or a future pick in another draft.  The final price was pick 21, Glenn-an overpriced injury prone T, and 2 2nds in the 2nd half of the 2nd round, one of them we stole from the Rams for 1 year of Watkins.  When you look at what other teams gave up to move up to get their QBs, Beane got away cheap: Look up what the Jets gave to move up from 6 to 3, what Chi gave to move up from 3 to 2 , What KC gave us to move from 27 to 10 for Mahomes, what Houston gave up to go from 25 to 12, what LAR gave up to go from 15 to 1 and Philadelphia from 13 to 2.  All gave up picks in future years.  

I trust McBeane to win us a future Super Bowl because they have the foresight not to keep spinning their wheels by doing things like paying $16 million for a season of the ultimate wheel spinner, Tyrod Taylor.   Sure they could have continued having a final playoff qualifier that would be 1 and done in the playoffs, but they envision bigger things.  That is shown by the 2018 season-THE FOUND SEASON. 

I never was interested in just giving away an entire season. We made the playoffs last year and shouldn’t have been far off. I think there have been 3 or 4 losses that would have really turned this season around and none of it was the result of “learning” I think it’s a dicey situation when you start giving up on seasons in August. There are way to many variables and no “next season” is ever a given. Allen has been better then I expected but not good enough for me to feel like this season was a success. The only thing I can say that we might have actually gotten out of this year, is Foster. I have serious doubts about the HC and the priorities of this team. I think there are a few things to be optimistic about but there are more questions then answers. I realize most people were completely fine with just giving this season away, I just wasn’t one of them. McDermott can get cute with this “process” all he wants...but if he try’s to write off next season and we are out of it by Halloween again, he’s going to get fired. Then all of this will have been for nothing.

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It is now quite apparent that the win now and in the future was complete BS. This 2018 team was not constructed to win.  I would contend that with TT and Richie this team would be in the hunt for a WC and an outside shot at the division with the Patriots coming to town.

But McBeane were determined to blow up the roster and blow it up they have.

So with Allen, Edmunds, and Star's play to date are you ok with the lost 2018 season. You can add in the nice find of Foster but also need to factor in that Zay is now 14 games closer to being a total bust and waste of multiple picks. Because this lost season and another wasted defense is the cost of drafting and developing Allen/Edmunds. 

For me, Allen is exactly what I thought he would be but I would have preferred him sitting behind TT and a shot at the playoffs in 2018. I simply don't trust McBeane to rebuild the offense. But as I've said before,  if they found the franchise leaders in Allen/Edmunds then it is worth the lost 2018 season. 

But I live in Portland and only spend money for Sunday Ticket and travelled to Green Bay. 

What say you season ticket holders?

You nailed it.  But the hate for TT was too strong.  Yes I know this statement will somehow be taken as I said TT is a top 5 QB.  I feel the fan base is damaged from years of losing.  So having potential in a QB is more important than a decent season.  "growing pains" are better than breaking the 17 year drought.  The coach is safe cause he broke the drought but the QB he did it with is not NFL material.  Can't argue with a mob.  Enjoy your mental gymnastics folks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I stand with great hope. Looking forward to watching  to see if Josh  Allen can become our franchise guy.

With the amount of money available for FA I would guess online upgrades are coming. Upgrades to receiving corps and the 

draft are coming too.

I believe our near future is bright.

2 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

When Josh Allen goes into New England and whoops up on Tom Brady, you'll understand what's really going on here.

He's got the goods and he's gonna show it.

I think there are a few on here that would like to see his goods.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

When this NFL season comes to a close...I would much rather be in our situation than I would the Patriots.

IDK thats an awful lot of Lombardis we would have won.?

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It is now quite apparent that the win now and in the future was complete BS. This 2018 team was not constructed to win.  I would contend that with TT and Richie this team would be in the hunt for a WC and an outside shot at the division with the Patriots coming to town.

So with Allen, Edmunds, and Star's play to date are you ok with the lost 2018 season. You can add in the nice find of Foster but also need to factor in that Zay is now 14 games closer to being a total bust and waste of multiple picks. Because this lost season and another wasted defense is the cost of drafting and developing Allen/Edmunds. 

For me, Allen is exactly what I thought he would be but I would have preferred him sitting behind TT and a shot at the playoffs in 2018. I simply don't trust McBeane to rebuild the offense. But as I've said before,  if they found the franchise leaders in Allen/Edmunds then it is worth the lost 2018 season. 

But I live in Portland and only spend money for Sunday Ticket and travelled to Green Bay. 

I don’t know if I agree with all that but addressing the question in your title: I feel real good about this season. Older players like Williams and Alexander that might have fell off are still playing well. Allen is light years ahead of where I’d thought he’d be. Shady dropping off sucks, but that may be a function of the line in front of him. Foster’s a gem. Zay started out okay at least. I’ve been a season ticket holder since ‘07 and I am very optimistic about next year.

Overall it's been a pretty crappy season. Like most crappy seasons, there are bright spots. Pretty good defense, Allen is improving and making big plays, Foster looks good too, .... that's about it. There needs to be huge turnover on offense and that will be difficult to do, we need more help on defense as well... pass rush help, LB depth, a starter would be nice too. A lot of positions need upgrade, it will be a challenge for Beane.

Just now, klos63 said:

Overall it's been a pretty crappy season. Like most crappy seasons, there are bright spots. Pretty good defense, Allen is improving and making big plays, Foster looks good too, .... that's about it. There needs to be huge turnover on offense and that will be difficult to do, we need more help on defense as well... pass rush help, LB depth, a starter would be nice too. A lot of positions need upgrade, it will be a challenge for Beane.

Lorax playing as well as he has at 35 is a big plus too

• Like (+1) 1

Overall the positives of this season were, Allen, Edmunds, Foster, the win vs Minni and the Jags, Barkleys demo of the Jets but that's about it. The negatives unfortunately overwhelmed the positives. More blowout losses, the complete stupidity of the Peterman era, bad acquisition of McCarron and the even worse embarrassing acquisition of Anderson, Shady sliding into obscurity, a horrible offensive line, the complete waste of time of KB and clay, really weak special teams and a defense that although pretty good, forgot how to take the ball away from other team. The really painful part is that we lost at least 4 easy win games to Houston, Jets, Fins and Colts, we also lost to a weak GB team and a mediocre Ravens team.  Like others have said on here some of the personnel moves by Beane really make me question his intelligence going forward. We should still be in the hunt for a playoff spot and the one factor that is common to many of the negatives is dumb moves or a lack of good move from Beane. Definitely a wasted season.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Even when they went to the playoffs, McDermott and Beane cautioned that there were tough times ahead so I'm not sure they were preaching "Win now and the future". 

You say the 2018 was not constructed to win, but with TT and Ritchie they would be? If so, the Ritchie situation was entirely out the Bills hands. He lost his mind.

Josh Allen has been better than TT so I'm not sure why TT would have been "constructed to win"

Your whole post seems to be conflicting..

Anyways, I'm fine with how the year has played out. This was always going to be a year that hurt, but I think we've seen some surprising contributions from unexpected players. There hasn't been finger pointing or players bitching which is impressive. McDermott seems to have instilled the type of culture needed to win. 

This

Dont folks remember McD and Beane cautioning while the season was going on last year?   THen some things happened.

- First.....we made the playoffs then laid that egg in the Wildcard game on offense......I TRULY believe that was the moment that they understood that playoff teams were going to shut down Tyrod Taylor.......and realized that in order to proceed to the next level they needed a QB that could make plays no matter WHAT a defense did.

Then

We lost Wood and Cog

To me this is where they realized that they needed to take a down year.....eat a bad cap sandwich......get draft picks and rebiuld

So I think they were happy that they made the playoffs.....but that the plan may have changed a little bit mid stream.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He still helps, but I think we can even upgrade with him. He can still have a role, but more like a pass rusher only.

Absolutely we can upgrade. It’s a nice surprise is all. A guy that started out as a lineman, lost 70 pounds to change positions and still producing at his age is a dope story. And Lorax is always a great interview too. One of my favorites.

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

If you're going to troll, do better.  Weak.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like many others, I do not view this as a lost season.  For me this year was all about development of Josh Allen (and to some extent for Tremaine Edmunds as well).  I'm exited about the future of the Bills with Josh Allen as the franchise QB.  I've also enjoyed watching him play this year even when the end result was a loss.  I also like the way our defense has played.  I think we are a good draft and a few key FA players away from contending for the playoffs in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, this season wasn't lost at all.  I trust what our front office is doing.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Through trial and error, we're finding hidden gems and our youth is being molded for the future.  Before the season even began, before all the crazy releases and trades, the so called experts predicted that we would only win 3-5 games this year anyway.  As inexperienced as our offense is, we're finally putting points on the board and they're finally clicking together.  it's still a work in progress, but I see nothing but positives from this season.  Additionally, we picked up a great backup QB in Matt Barkley.  This season was never really about winning now.  it was about building for the future and our future is looking bright. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is it being negative if I point out that "McDermott and Beane were more focused on blowing up the roster than winning" is the positive spin?

The negative spin is that they legit thought McCarron + Peterman > Tyrod Taylor and Bodine + Ducasse ~= Wood + 'Cog

The only thing lost is the time I wasted reading this drivel.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the win now and in the future stuff was 2017. As soon as Taylor was traded and Allen drafted the win now stuff realistically went out the window. Virtually all the NFL pundits saw it coming and called it before the preseason was even under way. It was pretty obvious unless a minor miracle occurred that the team would take a step back in the win department. If say, Beane had traded for Nick Foles and also drafted a QB then the expectation might have been different. McCarron and Nathan Peterman ? Pretty clear that the best one could hope for was a mediocre bridge to the rookie QB. 

3 hours ago, Success said:

It sounds weird, but it’s been the best losing season ever.  I never lost interest - the development of Allen has made every game fun.

And I think we can all feel it.  The division IS about to change hands.  It’s not some dreamy  fantasy.

I agree and feel the same way about this season. I would add that watching the worst QB in NFL history provided entertainment as well. 

We had Peterman and Derek Anderson start games for us. We had to drag a guy out of retirement to play. We are past that now, but what an embarrassing situation this team was in after Allen was injured.  I still don't understand how we could have been so unprepared to deal with the QB situation right from the start.

We are not a very good team, we need a pretty substantial roster overhaul, mainly on offense, this offseason. Some very heavy lifting required.

I do like what I see from Allen. Love his arm and the way he approaches and plays the game. He's the only reason to be optimistic for the future right now.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We had Peterman and Derek Anderson start games for us. We had to drag a guy out of retirement to play. We are past that now, but what an embarrassing situation this team was in after Allen was injured.  I still don't understand how we could have been so unprepared to deal with the QB situation right from the start.

We are not a very good team, we need a pretty substantial roster overhaul, mainly on offense, this offseason. Some very heavy lifting required.

I do like what I see from Allen. Love his arm and the way he approaches and plays the game. He's the only reason to be optimistic for the future right now.

Politely, I guess you don’t watch when our defense is on the field???

We will see drastic changes on offense this offseason, I’m sure. 

Will it work? Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

For me, Allen is exactly what I thought he would be but I would have preferred him sitting behind TT and a shot at the playoffs in 2018. I simply don't trust McBeane to rebuild the offense. But as I've said before,  if they found the franchise leaders Allen/Edmunds then it is worth the lost 2018 season. 

This season could be the foundation for many good years.  I'm okay with that.  It is enjoyable to watch Allen continue to develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

My attitude/outlook have both markedly improved since Josh’s return, as I have been pleasantly surprised by just how fast he appears to be owning leadership of this team and not finding the stage/bright lights too much for him.  For the rest of the team, admittedly the bar was dropped so low at the beginning of the year and then through historically awful offensive ineptitude, that we could only go back up, and that’s what’s happening now. Our D held firm, our O is catching up with contributions from the unlikeliest of sources, and the future looks much much brighter IMO. We have an opportunity to go into NE this weekend and drive a stake through the heart of the undead Hoodie and his minions, capping our comeback from laughingstock to relevant. What’s not to love about the possibilities? Go Bills!!!

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

3 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I support all Bills players and I supported Tyrod Taylor. He lead us to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. I admire his dedication to his craft and dedication to the Buffalo Bills. He's a good man who played his heart out for the Bills.

Tyrod just like Fitz are good men. But it wont make me lie about their ability to play QB when needed most.

Edited by Boca BIlls

This season has needed to happen for ages. More positivity right now than for any season in recent memory. Maybe early Trent and early Fitz? What's really different is we have a legitimate opportunity to build a contender. All hinges on Allen, but the franchise is in a good spot. Crazy how I'm discovering I'm not actually all doom and gloom in the middle of a losing season!

• Like (+1) 1

OP, you know the rules about staying with and contributing to threads you start. To do otherwise is to troll, which sends you to the sideline.

Everyone else; this is a topic which has been on most of our minds with 2 games remaining. There’ve been some great offerings here in this crap hole of an original post. 

I encourage any non-troll fan to start a new thread, inquiring the Wall’s take on what we’ve seen this season in anticipation of a most promising off season. As for the OP,  maybe he will contribute to it after a holiday break..

• Like (+1) 2