Anyone ever consider bringing in Doug Whaley JUST to scout pro personnel?

I know, the mods will probably end this thread because they think it's a joke, but hear me out: possibly the lone positive thing Bill's fans can agree on about Whaley's tenure was that he was an ace at reclamation projects, pulling guys like Jerry Hughes into the fold for duds like Kelvin Sheppard, just to name one.

Should the Bills bring back Whaley, just as a pro scout? I bet he would work for cheap, too. Hairbrained plot, or stroke of genius? You tell me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to tear it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I know, the mods will probably end this thread because they think it's a joke, but hear me out: possibly the lone positive thing Bill's fans can agree on about Whaley's tenure was that he was an ace at reclamation projects, pulling guys like Jerry Hughes into the fold for duds like Kelvin Sheppard, just to name one.

Should the Bills bring back Whaley, just as a pro scout? I bet he would work for cheap, too. Hairbrained plot, or stroke of genius? You tell me.

It's beyond ridiculous for many reasons on both sides. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I do think Whaley is a good pro scout.  I also think having him at One Bills Drive would be a mistake.  We've moved on.  He's part of an unpleasant past we'd rather all forget.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to year it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Not sure of how you can be so certain of this? What are you basing this on?

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Whaley will have another shot as GM one day. Minus the quarterback he built a very nice roster here. And made some very successful free agent signings and trades. I forget what he’s working now but it wasn’t a bad job at all 

You can't be serious; if he did such a great job he would be a GM now! He failed, lousy drafts, lousy trades, lousy FA signings! He is not working as a GM for a reason, get serious dude!

33 minutes ago, vincec said:

Maybe he can go join Doug Marrone in Jacksonville.

Great post, Marrone will not let DW get anywhere close to Jacksonville!

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Whaley will have another shot as GM one day. Minus the quarterback he built a very nice roster here. And made some very successful free agent signings and trades. I forget what he’s working now but it wasn’t a bad job at all 

Whaley did make some good moves but he made some big risk moves as well that didn't work out. Sammy was a very expensive miss. He also engaged in power struggles which are not healthy. He was better than Donahoe though  ?

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Whaley did make some good moves but he made some big risk moves as well that didn't work out. Sammy was a very expensive miss. He also engaged in power struggles which are not healthy. He was better than Donahoe though  ?

I’d say EJ was a whiff, but lay that on Nix. He rolled the dice on Sammy, and that seemed to miss a character issue. I wonder what things might have looked like if Sammy didn’t have that dirty knee/jump dirty shot to the the ribs in preseason as a rookie. That was pure dirt. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it's for Sr. Bowl or something like that if I remember right.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to year it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Beane is much better at the draft. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No we aren't. 

It can always get worse. Right now it looks awful. 

If things continue the way they look now it will be interesting to see how they handle the offseason.(assuming they are back) They will need to be extremely aggressive in FA.

Based on what?

Well we got at least three starters last draft. Whaley never produced anything outside of top ten picks and even those ended up being busts.

Edited by billspro

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I do think Whaley is a good pro scout.  I also think having him at One Bills Drive would be a mistake.  We've moved on.  He's part of an unpleasant past we'd rather all forget.  

I say speak for your self.....We are repeating our unpleasant past with the type of players that are now being run through one bills drive lately..... I like people that have an eye for  pro players talent.... and not the Kelseys and Schobels this regime seem hell-bent on looking for now

12 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

and not the Kelseys and Schobels this regime seem hell-bent on looking for now

Actually, Aaron Schobel was a pretty good DE, and at the least underrated.  But I get what you're saying, the FA pickups by this regime have been uninspiring, overall.

4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

DW wpuld come back for any reason because of the way he was pushed out but if he wpuld take that position i would give it to him in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not sure of how you can be so certain of this? What are you basing this on?

The professional players that he signed or traded for vs. the professional players that this regime has signed or traded for. Whaley was ELITE in that area. It isn’t even a discussion.

3 hours ago, billspro said:

Beane is much better at the draft. 

I think that this is true but there have been misses (see Jones, Zay). In general though he’s drafted pretty well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Man when will the nonsense end. Buddy nix was the GM when Hughes was brought here. So do you want Buddy back?

Edited by Bill_with_it
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ok I have had a few to drink tonight. Having said that aside from the Watkins trade (other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln) he made some decent moves on the player side. If we had promoted schwartz we would have likely been a playoff team in 2015 and 2016. Even with Rex as coach, a decision which wasn’t his, we were really close each year. Last year when we made the playoffs a majority of Whaley’s DNA was in that team. He will likely never come back in the near future but as far as drought GMs go he was the best and probably helped end the drought more than any other person.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

millions of dollars vs hundreds of thousand dollars.

Even the head of a team’s scouting department is still not pulling in millions in annual salary; why would this category be any different? Scouting of any kind is not in GM $$ territory. https://nationalfootballpost.com/are-nfl-scouting-departments-underfunded/ https://www.sapling.com/7746693/average-salary-nfl-scout

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The professional players that he signed or traded for vs. the professional players that this regime has signed or traded for. Whaley was ELITE in that area. It isn’t even a discussion.

I think that this is true but there have been misses (see Jones, Zay). In general though he’s drafted pretty well. 

This year was his first draft

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to tear it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Well, on the offensive side at least.

Someone asked me the other day about this elsewhere...and asked, you can't think of anything good he's done?

On offense...outside of the Allen pick, which is an unknown...I thought about it and came up with nothing.

2 fill in RB's maybe..but its not like our fill in RB's were bad before he got here.

I don't know how as a GM, you can come in professing that the offense needs to be completely rebuilt, go through 2 years and not upgrade a single position on that side of the ball.

A kid playing Madden GM or someone who read Rotoworld for a few days would have probably come up with one or 2.

$90 million in cap space or not...I don't know where these guys have shown any ability to improve an offense.

My only hope is that they realize their limitations and hire someone who can.

1 hour ago, billspro said:

This year was his first draft

If you don’t think that he had a say last year I have a bridge for sale. They traded up for Dawkins specifically because they knew Carolina was going to take him. Beane had a lot of say last year as well.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

7 hours ago, billspro said:

Well we got at least three starters last draft. Whaley never produced anything outside of top ten picks and even those ended up being busts.

Whaley picked 20 players in 3 drafts as GM (I don't consider him to have any responsibility for 2017 he was not making decisions by that point). 

On the opening NFL weekend in 2018, two years removed from the last of those drafts, 7 of his 20 picks started in the NFL. 

If you pin 2013 on him (the EJ year) even though he was not officially the GM, most seem to, then 11 of his 28 picks started in the NFL in week 1 of 2018. 

His "ineptitude" in the draft is rather overstated. That strike rate is right about league average. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane is 1000% better of a Gm. He understands the cap and is a fantastic drafting GM. Can’t really judge on pro personnel seeing as he’s been shedding more than taking on.

• Thank you (+1) 2

What happened with Whaley is that the Bills had a great defense under Schwartz, and were building a good offense. And then the Pegulas brought in Wrecks, NOT Whaley's idea.  Whaley was building the team we needed and Wrecks ruined it.  It was the amateurs Pegula bringing in a big-name, low-talent coach, and not Whaley, who destroyed what we had going.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane wasn’t here for Zay Jones. 

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you don’t think that he had a say last year I have a bridge for sale. They traded up for Dawkins specifically because they knew Carolina was going to take him. Beane had a lot of say last year as well.

Then Carolina has a case for collusion then because Beane was employed by the Panthers at the time of our draft. 

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He has a job already, I think. Why would he even come here?

• Associated Press -June 20, 2018

WASHINGTON -- Former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley is taking over as the NFL Players Association's director of college scouting.

Whaley will oversee the recruitment, evaluation and selection of draft-eligible prospects to compete at the annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. He replaces Tony Softli, who left to become the Alliance of American Football's scouting director.

Whaley was hired Wednesday, a little over a year after being fired by the Bills. He spent eight seasons in Buffalo, including four as GM.