Owners with Conservative/Defensive Minded Coaches have some SOUL SEARCHING to do.

I don't care what other teams do or what might be trendy but defense always wins championships

A good defense can beat a good offense almost every single time

Look at Denver vs Carolina a few years ago, Seattle versus Denver a couple years ago... Defense wins championships

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think the bigger thing those franchises did is they spent a ton of money on offense in the QB's sophomore seasons. Presumably that is our plan for next year too. 

That’s true, but the offensive cupboard was nowhere near as bare for those teams as it is for the Bills.  We literally need 7-9 new starters on offense and there are no promising young reserves on the bench.  It will be very difficult to get talented FA receivers to come to Buffalo, if there even are any available.  I don’t think this offense can be turned around in one offseason, especially by this bunch.  Best hope is that we have the 1 overall pick and can unload it for multiple premium picks.

28 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

No offense taken!

but I do wonder you say both Chicago and LA overhauled on Offense.  But wasn’t that mostly AFTER they hired Offensive Head Coaches?

so it was those Offensive Head Coaches who were possibly the driving factors in getting those organizations to focus on Offense in the Off Season?  And because they were offensive minded...they might have a better idea on scouting the potential offensive talent over a defensive coach?

also you question Trubisky is thriving in your 2.) point.  But at the end of it you admit he has more TD passes in 4 games in 2018 then he did in 12 games of 2017.  I would call that thriving.

No, it was because both the Rams and Bears already had a good defense in place and the offense was woeful.  In both cases, the Offensive talent was dismal while the defensive talent was high.  And this year, once they got more talent on the offense, they both went and added more talent to defense...rams in the secondary with Peters and Talib, and Bears went and got Mack.

1 hour ago, Haze_21 said:

1 game against a terrible pass d does not give trubisky thriving status.

And he sucked this year before it to the point people were looking to apply the bust label already (which is too early for that, but thats how bad he was before this week against the worst D in the NFL).  I mean the kid threw just SEVEN TD's last year...7...

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And he sucked this year before it to the point people were looking to apply the bust label already (which is too early for that, but thats how bad he was before this week against the worst D in the NFL).  I mean the kid threw just SEVEN TD's last year...7...

Yep. Being PATIENT doesn't mean being blind, but it's like the last game have made so many people forget how good Allen looked just one week prior and at many spots since he stepped on the field during preseason. And anyway, he's the QB we got, chill out people and support him! One game doesn't make or break a career

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

Yep. Being PATIENT doesn't mean being blind, but it's like the last game have made so many people forget how good Allen looked just one week prior and at many spots since he stepped on the field during preseason. And anyway, he's the QB we got, chill out people and support him! One game doesn't make or break a career

This times a million.  Even in the GB game, once they stopped bringing the house later in the game and Allen had time and confidence to step into the pocket he was throwing strikes again.  

Biggest issue for him, is that to me it was very clear he had no confidence in his pass protection and would too quickly look to bail out of it and got himself into trouble too often.  The OL was not playing well, but at the same time, Allen looked to roll out of the pocket instead of trusting he could step into it.  So he compounded the poor OL performance sometimes with leaving it too early.  

Not a shock, this is a young QB in his 3rd start who felt like he had to do it all himself out there.  And thats what gets young QB's in trouble, when they focus on trying to get it all back on one play, one drive, etc...and try to do too much.  McD said it perfectly, he HAS to take what the D gives him one play at a time.  And he did that superbly in the Vikes game, but we were also ahead and he didnt need to try and do to much each play/drive.  

This will be a learning experience for him, I expect there will be other bad games like this during this season, but I also expect we will see flashed of what makes this kid special IMO too.  I love his tenacity, toughness, and intelligence...I have confidence he will take this week and get better from it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

No receivers.  No line.  Never planned on Allen being the guy this year.  What did you expect?   Loaded for next year with cap and picks.  Plan or not?  

Agree! I think McDermott has time because they realize that they will be able to acquire ALOT of talent next year through the draft and through the cap space that they will get after this year. We hate to think of rebuilding years...but this is a rebuilding year.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Unfortunately Daboll hasn’t ever done anything worth bragging about. Our chances with him are slim. 

...the dichotomy of game plans is baffling.....even going back to the lathargic Dennison (hell even Fairchild), he'd dial up a game plan that blended TT's mobility and be successful...the following week was 180 suckitude......Daboll plan for the Vikes was ideal.....versatility and a nice blend of offensive play calling......followed by the GB stinker...Shady with 5 touches?....58 yards rushing total?.....I missed the memo I guess............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s certsinly an interesting thought.  I’ve always banged the table for a young offensive minded coach.  

It is an interesting thought, but wasn't that supposed to be Marrone

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Would you say Allen is more important to the franchise then McDermott?

if there is a pyramid (not counting owners) how does it start at the top and then work it’s wY down?

1.) Allen

2.) McDermott

3.) Bean

4.) White

5.) Edmunds

and if you agree with Allen being hire up than McDermott than anything to help Allen is greater than any loyalty to McDermott?

LOL. McDermott doesn't even crack the top 5 especially when considering the development of a young QB. 

1. Allen

2. Beane

3. Dawkins

4. Edmunds

5. OC

6. McDermott

7. White

8. Hughes

9. Future C

10. Future OLB

Not sure why you included the Eagles in that. They didn't fire a defensive minded coach and hire an offensive minded coach after Wentz got there.

So you have two data points in the Rams and Bears, and only a few games have passed for the Bears in year two.

So no, there is not a trend.

Edited by MJS

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...McVay did it right IMO.....who or what could be better than hiring Wade as your DC?..................

Word is McVay listens to the old man’s opinions on all matters. Brilliant 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, jahnyc said:

The Daboll hire was critical to get right.  It will be interesting to see if he can work well with Allen and help his development.

The track record was certainly not there. It was a middling hire at best and uninspired. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The track record was certainly not there. It was a middling hire at best and uninspired. 

It's worse than middling.  Daboll has flamed out three times majorly as an NFL OC.  I'm not sure how many guys get a fourth opportunity.  If/when he fails here, I would be absolutely shocked if he got another chance.

11 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Eagles invested heavily in Trading up for Carson Wentz.  Spent that off season building and Offensive Coaching Room...Wentz now thriving.

Los Angeles Rams invested 1st Overall Pick in Jared Goff.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (Jeff Fisher).  Brought in young Offensive guy in Sean McVay...Goff now thriving.

Chicago Bears invested heavily in trading up for Mitch Trubisky.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (John Fox).  Brought in Offensive Guy in Matt Nagy...Trubisky now thriving.

Buffalo Bills and New York Jets invested heavily in trading up for Josh Allen and Sam Darnold.  And they will do what with their DEFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACHES after their Young QBs struggle in 2018???

they should have done it this season but will do it next season.

12 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Kyle Shanahan?  Was that closest we got to a young Offensive mind?  That was what before Gailey or Marrone was hired?

Interviewed Kyle pre Rex. The Pegulas really didn't like him according to reports at the time. 

13 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Would you say Allen is more important to the franchise then McDermott?

if there is a pyramid (not counting owners) how does it start at the top and then work it’s wY down?

1.) Allen

2.) McDermott

3.) Bean

4.) White

5.) Edmunds

and if you agree with Allen being hire up than McDermott than anything to help Allen is greater than any loyalty to McDermott?

This needs to to be clarified. Order of importance for the franchise to perform for the future, or right now. 

Weve heavily invested in Allen. He needs to pan out. If McD and Beane are good at their jobs he will. If they are bad at their jobs he won’t. Because the franchise traded/invested so many assets into acquiring him, they need to protect that investment. Which means that Beane and McD become expendable in that scenario. 

16 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Eagles invested heavily in Trading up for Carson Wentz.  Spent that off season building and Offensive Coaching Room...Wentz now thriving.

Los Angeles Rams invested 1st Overall Pick in Jared Goff.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (Jeff Fisher).  Brought in young Offensive guy in Sean McVay...Goff now thriving.

Chicago Bears invested heavily in trading up for Mitch Trubisky.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (John Fox).  Brought in Offensive Guy in Matt Nagy...Trubisky now thriving.

Buffalo Bills and New York Jets invested heavily in trading up for Josh Allen and Sam Darnold.  And they will do what with their DEFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACHES after their Young QBs struggle in 2018???

Aside from last week's blowout against a horrible Tampa Bay Defense with lots of turnovers.....Trubisky's play had been horrible...maybe mediocre here and there.... the first three games.  Would definitely not say he has been thriving.....

14 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Id bet money Mcdermott already told the pegulas this season was going to be a bust. There is no way anything that happens this season will get him fired in my opinion.

Imagine you and I walking into our respective bosses’ offices later this morning and telling him/her that the next year our work production will suck...and somehow expecting that to result in job security.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

This needs to to be clarified. Order of importance for the franchise to perform for the future, or right now. 

Weve heavily invested in Allen. He needs to pan out. If McD and Beane are good at their jobs he will. If they are bad at their jobs he won’t. Because the franchise traded/invested so many assets into acquiring him, they need to protect that investment. Which means that Beane and McD become expendable in that scenario. 

If they did then this team will continue in its endless spin as the incoming regime will then want their own QB  (Losman, Manuel all saw the same fate).   The Pegulas have to give Bean and McDermott another 2 years to build this team around the current pieces (Allen, Dawkins on Offense and the entire rebuilt defense).  They need BETTER COACHING !

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Id bet money Mcdermott already told the pegulas this season was going to be a bust. There is no way anything that happens this season will get him fired in my opinion.

"Hey Boss, I'm going to do a crappy job this year...but don't fire me...i'll promise I'll do better in a couple of years"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCBills_OG said:

Aside from last week's blowout against a horrible Tampa Bay Defense with lots of turnovers.....Trubisky's play had been horrible...maybe mediocre here and there.... the first three games.  Would definitely not say he has been thriving.....

Yeah - thriving to the tune of sub 200 yards passing, and 2 TDs and 3 picks through week 3.  That teams been all defense. 

Less than a hundred on the ground every week, tons of sacks, takeaways, and even 2 defensive TDs.  

1 minute ago, nucci said:

"Hey Boss, I'm going to do a crappy job this year...but don't fire me...i'll promise I'll do better in a couple of years"

I assume Beane was there and they indicated a few things. 

1 - we're rebuilding and a lot of this season will be based on evaluating players

2 - we have a massive dead cap number, and probably the worst roster in the league

3 - all of that dead money is money that was already paid to players, so we probably have the cheapest roster in the league

4 - we will likely turn a higher profit than the previous year due to paying out less in player salaries and signing bonuses

5 - we have a lot of draft picks, and a lot of cap space to make moves to address holes in 2019

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I assume Beane was there and they indicated a few things. 

1 - we're rebuilding and a lot of this season will be based on evaluating players

2 - we have a massive dead cap number, and probably the worst roster in the league

3 - all of that dead money is money that was already paid to players, so we probably have the cheapest roster in the league

4 - we will likely turn a higher profit than the previous year due to paying out less in player salaries and signing bonuses

5 - we have a lot of draft picks, and a lot of cap space to make moves to address holes in 2019

I know...just having fun...still if I was Pegula I wouldn't be happy going from a 9-7 playoff team to what we've seen so far

23 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If they did then this team will continue in its endless spin as the incoming regime will then want their own QB  (Losman, Manuel all saw the same fate).   The Pegulas have to give Bean and McDermott another 2 years to build this team around the current pieces (Allen, Dawkins on Offense and the entire rebuilt defense).  They need BETTER COACHING !

McDermott and Beane aren’t exactly tied together - contrary to popular belief. If things go very bad this season, we could see Beane getting his opportunity to hire the new HC (for the first time).

19 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

No receivers.  No line.  Never planned on Allen being the guy this year.  What did you expect?   Loaded for next year with cap and picks.  Plan or not?  

OK, with all the cap, who are the players they are going to bring in?

Overpaying for average players doesn't make you better. It puts you in cap hell.

What WR's are worth it?

what OL are worth it?

All the extra picks are in the 4th rd plus. I wouldn't call this organized as much as I would hoping for miracles.

4th rd plus is hoping to get lucky.

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

2018  = +$50 mil in dead money = tank

2019  = +$100 mil in cap space = fixes a lot of holes

Again, who are the players that they are going to bring in.

just because they have all this money does not mean they can just go buy a #1 WR of the shelf. There needs to be one available and they have to want to come here. 

The two best WR that will be on the market next year.

Dog Baldwin and Randall Cobb. Are they worth paying 10MM+ for?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Because one is a coach and the other is the general manager. Do you need a link for that?

In theory you're correct but it was done backwards here...coach was hired before the GM and we don't know if McDermott approved Beane or who has more control over personnel