In 21 games with McDermott, we have been blown out 6 times

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Who's the poster who keeps the running tab of all Bills coaches with winning %?   I need to see where this stacks up.

btw....as long as we're pulling out meaningless stats, McD has made the playoffs an NFL record 100% of his seasons as HC.

They bounce back well, and we don’t have a ton of context... but it sure doesn’t feel good that more than once a month the wheels absolutely come off 

This is GREAT news. 

According to your math, that's once every 3.5 games and 28.6 percent blow outs. Since we've been blown out three times out of four already this season, we only have 1.6 more blowouts left this season. If you round down, it's only ONE more blowout left!

Conversely, I count that we've blown out opponents five times in 21 games. That's a 23.8 percent blowout rate and once every 4.2 games . Since we've only blown out one opponent this season, we're due for 2.8 more. Rounding up, that's THREE opponents we're set to blow out. 

That's a 3 to 1 positive to negative blowout ratio left for the season. If that ratio is indicative of wins/loses, I calculate we'll finish the year with 9.3 more wins and a 10-6 record. 

I'm buying that Allen jersey after all. 

Back in the 80's we had two seasons of 4-12 before Marv and Polian came in and fixed the franchise. At that time Ralph took a chance on a Coach with a losing record and a GM from the CFL. The Bills have been a punchline  and a running joke since SB XXV. Everyone in the league knows that our "playoff run" was a joke last yr. Expecting Beane and McDermott to fix decades of futility in a yr or 2 doesn't make sense.  At the start of the season Beane said we were not as far along as some people might think and we were in the 2nd yr of a 3 yr rebuild. Relax let it play out. worst comes to worst Pegula can blow it up next yr or the yr after. The best case scenario is Beane and Co. know what they are doing and some of our draft picks pan out and the Bills are again relevant in the league

We overachieved last season and snuck into the playoffs on a miracle play made by another team. I was thinking playoffs again this year but now it’s painfully obvious to me that this is part of the rebuilding plan. At least we should be able to watch the Sabres contend for a playoff spot this season

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let’s just say for the sake of argument the games I mean are 

Saints

@ Jets

Chargers x2

@ Ravens

and yesterday

games that feel over before the half.

il just go off the top of my head and say for reference the Pats probably haven’t had 6 of them total in the last 17 years. 

Its just a meaningless metric.  A loss is a loss.  It counts as one game regardless of the score.  And the scores of the Bills games have been lopsided like that because the three quarterbacks McDermott had used have ever been completely negligible like Tyrod or rookie quarterbacks who aren't ready.

The Patriots have lost by 20 points or more, my baseline for blowout for your argument 12 times in 17 years and thats with the best quarterback of all time.

McDermott is a .500 coach who is likely as good at his job as someone like Marvin Leiws or Doug Marrone.  He will be out of a job if Allen ends up a bust, simple as that.

What a difference a week makes.  Last week at this time the vast majority a posters were sky high and there was a lot of discussion about how the Bills could go to Lambeau and win.  I think it's best to put down the magnifying glass when trying to assess what's going on at OBD and look big picture.   

2018 -  54 million in dead cap money

2019 -  2 million in dead cap money

The ability to spend roughly 190 million next year compared to 123 million this year is everything I need to know to give Beane more time. 

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your as a handed to you.

I am really starting to wonder how much more I can take.  Between the game being worse than it ever was and the never ending sucktitude of the Bills, why do I even bother watching.  

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs ate progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

You and many other fans are fed up. This is the first year I havent had seasons in a long time! I got sick of the kneeling, **** rules, crappy officiating, and over priced everything at the stadium. Last year I dropped right around 8k for 8 regular season games and 2 meaningless pre season games. This year, 1 game, home opener and thats it. I am going to enjoy some Sabres games and fishing Sunday morning! 

Disclaimer- it wouldn’t of mattered if the amount was even half of 8k- I wasnt doing it again.

Edited by billsfan_34

1 hour ago, JPP said:

The combination of Marrone-Rexy & Lynn have less than McB........i believe.....wow......but hey we're rebuilding right......

Yeah the ultimate excuse for shipping away all of your talent and failing to upgrade critical positions around your prized QB.

• Like (+1) 1

the blowouts are when the game script doesnt go the Bills way which is get turnovers and have success running the football.  It amazes me that they hid Tyrod's deficiencies by sticking with the run game but trot out a rookie qb with the nfl's worst receiving core (by far) and try to be not only a passing team but execute deep concepts behind a garbage OL.  Its like they decided lets find the worst offense to run when you have a bad line and slow receivers with no hands.  You'd have to try really hard to run  worse scheme and particularly some of the playcalls.  You have zero speed yet they love to try low % deep passes when Foster not only can seperate but when he's open he continues to drop or not fight for the football.  I didn't enjoy the boring Marrone coached games but he knew what he had and how to try and get wins with it.

I'd be interested to hear McD's response to this. Hopefully someone has the guts to ask the question. Does he tell the truth and pin it on the QBs? Taylor and Peterman had some ugly days last year, same with Allen and Peterman this year. That's the biggest reason for this.

I'd be curious to hear what he has to say about the defense though. I can't remember a D that was as boom or bust as it's been under McD.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Yeah the ultimate excuse for shipping away all of your talent and failing to upgrade critical positions around your prized QB.

yup totally agree....other teams recently have done it without sucking for years......ie Rams, Phili....

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Watkins and the "limited" production theory.

The guy was a top WR in the league the last half of 2015. Had an injury plagued 2016 and was traded prior to the 2017 season. 

We are in DIRE need of a guy like Watkins for Allen. Bad trade then and a bad trade now.

Not sure I agree with that. He is payed like a future HoF and he doesn’t have the production to back it up. Instantly he is better than everyone we have but again... at what cost. The team is moving away from overpaying players for moderate work and I agree with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That’s not good. We also now are 10-11 under this regime.

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

Oh lighten up.  Coach is putting this franchise on the right track.  It will take some time.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It wasn't.

Fans here and McBeane will make you think everything Whaley did was !@#$ing awful. He wasn't great or even a good GM, but he wasn't awful either and found some solid players to build around. 

Like who? Serious question. Who did Whaley bring in that you could build around?

1 hour ago, JPP said:

yup totally agree....other teams recently have done it without sucking for years......ie Rams, Phili....

It's hilarious listening to the fans who have bought into "its all about next year when we have all this cash" and last year it was well next year we'll have our franchise QB....always kicking the can down the road to rationalize sucking.

So when exactly does this regime put the full court press on and try to win? Last year was an absolute fluke and this year they are comically bad.

• Like (+1) 1

20 games. One season +4 games. That’s all we’re giving teams now before OMFG BURN IT DOWN BURN IT ALL DOWN AND SALT THE EARTH. 

Do something else with that negativity guys. Play some video games, hang out with your kids, learn a musical instrument. Life’s too short. 

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

the blowouts are when the game script doesnt go the Bills way which is get turnovers and have success running the football.  It amazes me that they hid Tyrod's deficiencies by sticking with the run game but trot out a rookie qb with the nfl's worst receiving core (by far) and try to be not only a passing team but execute deep concepts behind a garbage OL.  Its like they decided lets find the worst offense to run when you have a bad line and slow receivers with no hands.  You'd have to try really hard to run  worse scheme and particularly some of the playcalls.  You have zero speed yet they love to try low % deep passes when Foster not only can seperate but when he's open he continues to drop or not fight for the football.  I didn't enjoy the boring Marrone coached games but he knew what he had and how to try and get wins with it.

*receiving corps*

42 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

It's hilarious listening to the fans who have bought into "its all about next year when we have all this cash" and last year it was well next year we'll have our franchise QB....always kicking the can down the road to rationalize sucking.

So when exactly does this regime put the full court press on and try to win? Last year was an absolute fluke and this year they are comically bad.

well thats what happens when you have a GM that just sucked the crap out of our cap this year.....pooled everything into to the D that seems just okay but not much better than last season IMO....and totally dismissed the Offence completely......go all in on a 1st rd rookie which is fine but give him nothing around him and throw all your chips on a hack called "peterman"........plus McD is completely useless as is so obvious......we are going to have a very long 2-3 years if Pegula keeps these 2 hacks.......IE---just my opinion but hopefully beane should now there are another 30 teams in the NFL to acquire FA players besides the Panthers......sorry for the rant......

Edited by JPP

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

I AM SORRY WHEN MCDERMET TRIED TO PUT PETERMAN IN HE NO LONGER DESERVE CREDIT FOR TRYING TO END THE DROUGHT.... IT WAS TYROD PLAIN AND SIMPLE THAT GOT US OUT OF THE DROUGHT 

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Like who? Serious question. Who did Whaley bring in that you could build around?

SHADY FOR STARTERS'[ THE OLINEMAN WAS RANKED TOP 3 BEFORE MCDERMOT GOT HERE . ...MILLS WAS SUPPOSE TO BE JUST A BACKUP, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BROUGHT IN DUCASSE, NEVER BROUGHT IN A TOLBERT. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER HE WAS TRYING TO CREATE A PITTSBURGH TYPE TEAM NO CHOIR BOYS  JUST ROUGH AND TUMBLE FOOTBALL PLAYER. MCDERMOTT THINK WE ARE  IN THE BIBLE BELT....   

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

Part of me thinks what they're selling and how they've gone about managing the roster, it's all about getting to that second contract. Just the cynical part of me, even I know it sounds ridiculous, but i don't trust these guys, their cliches and empty words at all.

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The guy this regime built the offense around last year and this year? 

That was easy.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

What the hell is the point of purging a roster just to purge a roster????  This was not a 1-15 dumpster fire team in 2016, and it had a decent talent level.   The argument that "well, they weren't good enough to win more than 6-8 games a year" is pure bull manure as so much of that talent that wasn't good enough for McDermott and Beane are not only starting and playing well for winning teams, but are shining in some cases. 

Of course, now it's likely to be a 1-3 win team with such a lack of talent that it's going to take another 3-5 years to get back to mediocre, especially since McDermott and Beane are clueless about how to build a competitive NFL team much less a successful one.  I'm sick of the excuses constantly being made for McDermott and Beane; they created this mess with their own incompetence.  The longer they remain in charge of this team, the longer this team will suck big time.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Part of me thinks what they're selling and how they've gone about managing the roster, it's all about getting to that second contract. Just the cynical part of me, even I know it sounds ridiculous, but i don't trust these guys, their cliches and empty words at all.

The guy this regime built the offense around last year and this year? 

That was easy.

And how did trying to build a team around a running back work out? 

You need  to have a quarterback that CAN win a game with his arm. 

The Bills pretty much maxed out the style of team Whaley built last year. 

Good for Beane and McDermott realizing it. 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

And how did trying to build a team around a running back work out? 

You need  to have a quarterback that CAN win a game with his arm. 

The Bills pretty much maxed out the style of team Whaley built last year. 

Good for Beane and McDermott realizing it. 

My God, I don't even know where to start. You have an agenda. I'm not going to even bother.

The !@#$ style of team do you think McDermott is trying to build? Do you remember his introductory presser? It's just not even worth it with some of you. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let’s just say for the sake of argument the games I mean are 

Saints

@ Jets

Chargers x2

@ Ravens

and yesterday

games that feel over before the half.

il just go off the top of my head and say for reference the Pats probably haven’t had 6 of them total in the last 17 years. 

there's a good baseline measuring stick.  behind at half time by an amount of points that is traditionally impossible to overcome.

14 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your ass handed to you.

I am really starting to wonder how much more I can take.  Between the game being worse than it ever was and the never ending sucktitude of the Bills, why do I even bother watching.  

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs are progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

Yet the game is so unrecognizable from the 50s that someone back then wouldn’t even call today’s game football

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, Gigs said:

Yet the game is so unrecognizable from the 50s that someone back then wouldn’t even call today’s game football

You try to go back 60-70 years to discredit my post?  The game is unrecognizable from 2010.  They have changed the rules to protect players but have also changed some rules that have nothing to do with protecting players and have everything to do with increasing offense.  The game is watered down.

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

What the hell is the point of purging a roster just to purge a roster????  This was not a 1-15 dumpster fire team in 2016, and it had a decent talent level.   The argument that "well, they weren't good enough to win more than 6-8 games a year" is pure bull manure as so much of that talent that wasn't good enough for McDermott and Beane are not only starting and playing well for winning teams, but are shining in some cases. 

Of course, now it's likely to be a 1-3 win team with such a lack of talent that it's going to take another 3-5 years to get back to mediocre, especially since McDermott and Beane are clueless about how to build a competitive NFL team much less a successful one.  I'm sick of the excuses constantly being made for McDermott and Beane; they created this mess with their own incompetence.  The longer they remain in charge of this team, the longer this team will suck big time.

Chip Kelly purged all kinds of talent in Philly and it ultimately got him fired, that said his teams were never this bad.

Edited by pop gun
  • Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I'm glad you brought up this topic because I was harping on these same points to my friends after the blowout in Baltimore.   I'm giving this staff entire mulligan in 2018 simply because this regime broke the drought and they have a rookie QB starting.   The amount of games where the team is losing by 20+ or getting blasted in the first half is alarming and this has to be keeping McD awake at night.  

I can guarantee when the Pegulas agreed to a master plan of re-building this team with McBeane, they never anticipated being this bad in 2018.  No chance,  Starting with Peterman not working out, it has only gotten worse.     

16 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your ass handed to you.

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs are progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

I agree. I mean, we've got to watch this **** right? I'm pretty sure I'm not immortal so I'm curious just how long we're expected to put up with this slop. Trust the process for 27 more years apparently.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, what almost bothers me more than the blowouts is the majority of games under SM are just boring.  It is Jauronball 2.0.  Sadly, I’ve gotten so use to the Bills losing that I almost can tolerate an entertaining loss.  I don’t think I got excited once Sunday.  And this seems to be the majority of the games.  It makes it somewhat tolerable if they won but for the most part, it is awful football compared to the rest of the nfl.

• Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Chad Kelly purged all kinds of talent in Philly and it ultimately got him fired, that said his teams were never this bad.

It was actually Chip Kelly -- Chad is Jim's nephew -- but yeah, even he didn't get rid of as much talent as fast as McDermott and Beane have.  Josh McDaniels in Denver and Nick Saban in Miami both went the same route.  McDaniels was canned, and Saban quit to run back to the NCAA after a year or two.  I think the common denominator among Kelly, McDaniels, and Saban was that they came from backgrounds where the HC pretty much ran things on a "my way or the highway" basis.  That's frequently the norm at successful NCAA programs and that's how Belichick has run NE.  Dick Jauron also dismantled the team he inherited in order to bring "his guys" and he was another "my way or the highway guy".  McDermott seems to be cut from the same mold but even less tolerant of players who don't fit his criteria since he's accomplished the dismantling of a better team than Jauron inherited in a much shorter period of time.

"My way or the highway" type coaches can't work in the modern NFL because of the salary cap.  Teams cannot simply shed talent without regard to the cap implications of such personnel moves the way that the Bills did in 2017 and 2018 preseason because it leaves them exactly where they are in 2018: so limited by dead cap space that they cannot replace the talented players who left with anything but bottom feeder FAs and low-level draft picks and UDFA rookies.   Add in poor pro player decisions, most aggrievously, trading for Benjamin and Coleman and trading away McCarron, and questionable drafting such as Zay Jones and Nate Peterman,  and you have a prescription for an ugly situation that doesn't look to improve any time soon as long as McDermott and Beane remain in control.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, what almost bothers me more than the blowouts is the majority of games under SM are just boring.  It is Jauronball 2.0.  Sadly, I’ve gotten so use to the Bills losing that I almost can tolerate an entertaining loss.  I don’t think I got excited once Sunday.  And this seems to be the majority of the games.  It makes it somewhat tolerable if they won but for the most part, it is awful football compared to the rest of the nfl.

It's sad, very sad, that I agree with your post (doh!). Game 3 was great ALSO for Allen's flashes, the fumbles, etc. Not simply for the W. This one was more on the line of "why do I put my precious time on this Earth watching this... and posting on a board after"

7 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

I AM SORRY WHEN MCDERMET TRIED TO PUT PETERMAN IN HE NO LONGER DESERVE CREDIT FOR TRYING TO END THE DROUGHT.... IT WAS TYROD PLAIN AND SIMPLE THAT GOT US OUT OF THE DROUGHT 

Memory serves it was Dalton who got us out of the drought.......unlock your caps

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

There was nobody on that roster to build around. Only a moron would try to build a team around a RB, let alone a RB with less than 3 years left in the tank.

• Like (+1) 1