In 21 games with McDermott, we have been blown out 6 times

19 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

This is the thing that bothers me. McBeane created this talentless roster on purpose so they could draft Allen and Edmonds. If Allen flops, they will have set the team back at least three seasons and probably more--if he doesn't end up a franchise QB, the team is in the bottom third of the league for the forseeable future. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That’s not good. We also now are 10-11 under this regime.

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

What was your criteria for a blow out? Did you count the Chargers game from this year? It was an absolute blow out but the final score doesn’t reflect that.

for years i heard bills fans scream about how the team just wallows in the middle of the pack, never doing bad enough for a high pick for a qb, just spending money and spinning wheels.  no a tear down is being completed, a rookie qb is in place, and no one can handle it.  i'm not making predictions that this is going to work, but it amazes me that the exact people complaining to tear the whole thing down are now the ones screaming the loudest about it.

this is not this staff's final product.  we'll start to see what they're going for early next summer.  again, i have no idea if it will work, but anyone implying this team bean and mcdermott are aiming for, are just being too short sighted.  

Edited by teef

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You try to go back 60-70 years to discredit my post?  The game is unrecognizable from 2010.  They have changed the rules to protect players but have also changed some rules that have nothing to do with protecting players and have everything to do with increasing offense.  The game is watered down.

Welcome to life bro. This is what it is. Everything always changes. If you can’t hndle it you can always shelter yourself

13 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

What was your criteria for a blow out? Did you count the Chargers game from this year? It was an absolute blow out but the final score doesn’t reflect that.

I’m counting that game. I guess there probably isn’t an actual stat that can show it. I guess any game that gets to 20+ and never gets competitive again

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

It was actually Chip Kelly -- Chad is Jim's nephew -- but yeah, even he didn't get rid of as much talent as fast as McDermott and Beane have.  Josh McDaniels in Denver and Nick Saban in Miami both went the same route.  McDaniels was canned, and Saban quit to run back to the NCAA after a year or two.  I think the common denominator among Kelly, McDaniels, and Saban was that they came from backgrounds where the HC pretty much ran things on a "my way or the highway" basis.  That's frequently the norm at successful NCAA programs and that's how Belichick has run NE.  Dick Jauron also dismantled the team he inherited in order to bring "his guys" and he was another "my way or the highway guy".  McDermott seems to be cut from the same mold but even less tolerant of players who don't fit his criteria since he's accomplished the dismantling of a better team than Jauron inherited in a much shorter period of time.

"My way or the highway" type coaches can't work in the modern NFL because of the salary cap.  Teams cannot simply shed talent without regard to the cap implications of such personnel moves the way that the Bills did in 2017 and 2018 preseason because it leaves them exactly where they are in 2018: so limited by dead cap space that they cannot replace the talented players who left with anything but bottom feeder FAs and low-level draft picks and UDFA rookies.   Add in poor pro player decisions, most aggrievously, trading for Benjamin and Coleman and trading away McCarron, and questionable drafting such as Zay Jones and Nate Peterman,  and you have a prescription for an ugly situation that doesn't look to improve any time soon as long as McDermott and Beane remain in control.

The roster management and ability to identify and sign quality talent has been terrible. 

If you look at the roster we had two years ago, vs the one we have now, it's mind boggling how much worse the roster has got on paper.

We got rid of good players, and replaced them mostly with guys who are practice squad calibre players. We have a ton of cap space next year, but the notion that we'll be able to go out and get good players without drastically overpaying and eventually getting into our next salary cap hell is misguided. This team is going in the wrong direction and it's hard to imagine NFL free agents wanting to come to Buffalo next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

As I said before, the defense of McBeane seems to be like the kid who killed his parents and is now asking for the court's mercy because he is an orphan.

The fact is that we have been blown out a lot and in devastating fashion.  There is a difference between losing competitively and getting your you know what kicked.

McBeane better hope that Josh pans out because we certainly gave up a lot of assets to be able to draft him and did not do him any favors by the decisions that we made with offensive personnel etc.

• Like (+1) 1

We have a ton of young talent on the defensive side of the ball. We get to clear out an aging RB and TE on offense with a rookie QB already in place. The oline needs to gel but hasn't been as bad as people are saying, according to the game film. There's a lot of cap room next season to address positions not filled through the draft.

I am very happy with where the roster is at right now.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

It's sad, very sad, that I agree with your post (doh!). Game 3 was great ALSO for Allen's flashes, the fumbles, etc. Not simply for the W. This one was more on the line of "why do I put my precious time on this Earth watching this... and posting on a board after"

And yet, here you are.

20 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

I agree with most of what you said but my question to you is; What have MCBeane done to show you they have the ability to pick the right guys.  Every FA to date they have brought in has pretty much been a bust.  Why is next year going to be any different?

18 hours ago, BillsWest said:

Try being a Bills fan AND a SF Giants fan.  Both rosters need work.  The SF Giants on Sunday almost lost by as much as the Bills did, and that's baseball!

What are you talking about?  The Giants have had a great run ever since Boche took over.  Please don't insult Bills fans about comparing our suffering to Giant fans.  

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

I agree with most of what you said but my question to you is; What have MCBeane done to show you they have the ability to pick the right guys.  Every FA to date they have brought in has pretty much been a bust.  Why is next year going to be any different?

I agree somewhat, I do seriously question McBeane's ability to bring in free agents. But in the 2017 off-season where McD was having a big hand in free agent acquisitions they did hit on Hyde, Proyer, and Haush. Although the 2018 free agents are looking pretty poor McBeane only had 2 contracts above 3 million dollars a season and although Murphy and Star aren't looking like they were worth their contracts they are only 25% into the season and Murphy's deal is pretty easy to get out of. But the sample size for what McBeane can do with cap space is small. I hope their results are more similar to 2017 where they found 3 starters in free agency than it is to 2018 where they found 1 starter who is overpaid for the roles he provides (Star) and a player whose impact is more so that of a good role player as opposed to the starter he is paid for (Murphy.)

The Bills in my mind will need to find at least 3-4 starters on offense via free agency and probably some help on the pass rush side of things via free agency and maybe a slot corner too. Overall they have the cap space to make these signings but the jury is still out if they can find the players at the appropriate price. 

The downside of character over talent is that if players are not completely on same page their talent deficiencies will be more easily exposed. Sometimes, great players can overcome a less than ideal play call or make up for a missed assignment. The Bills have almost no elite talent on the team making the margin for error very thin.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I don't know that.  Right now I am just hoping that they can build a team.  Im hoping the previous FA's are mostly just filler while they reset the cap.  If they cant build a team for crap then we should know by next year.  They have cap space and likely a top 5 pick.

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Do you happen to have stats showing the percentage other teams are blown out or perhaps a baseline of what constitutes a blowout?  Otherwise this stat means absolutely nothing

A quick look at pro football reference shows 550 regular season games in the last 10 years that were decided by 20 points or more.  There are 32*16/2 = 256 games every year, so 2560 games from 2008-2017.  550/2560 = about 21%.  So McD is off to an above-average start, although I don't have time to tell you how far above average.  

Looking at just the Bills over that span, McD's teams really do jump out compared to the last few years.  We only lost by 20 or more twice in 64 games from 2013-2016, but it's already been 6 times in 21 games since 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....exactly...he's not going anywhere......look how valuable the "turnstile mentality" served this club during the 17 year drought".....

In fact, the only thing that would make me seriously consider quitting this team would be them firing this regime prematurely.

Just now, joesixpack said:

In fact, the only thing that would make me seriously consider quitting this team would be them firing this regime prematurely.

....don't you wish sometimes "mamas didn't let their babies near keyboards to post here"?.............Jesus........we need a <PG-13 Forum pronto........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't you wish sometimes "mamas didn't let their babies near keyboards to post here"?.............Jesus........we need a <PG-13 Forum pronto........

No, we just need to reinstate remedial education programs in this country.

I'm really enjoying this rebuild.  The fun part of a rebuild is that you can actually coach terribly, be undisciplined, trade away all talent,  put out a garbage product with no clear future plan (i know we will have huge cap space and no other team will)..... and its just a rebuild.  Can't argue that one ha? 

23 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

Exactly,  it's going to take all of 19 & 20 to finally get the older players retired like Kyle, Alexander and maybe McCoy. Replace a garbage OL/WR corp so Allen has a fighting chance at development. And continue to supplement a promising young defensive unit. I expected nothing this year and tried not to get sucked in by the Viking game. I also expect very little next year too. Hopefully 2020 will be our explosive year after B&B retire. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's not nonsense unless this team wants to continue to suck for years to come. Even McDermott admits on a consistent basis that it's a quarterback-driven league.

And they got their QB.

Which you, and every other short-sighted "results IMMEDIATELY" person around here fails to acknowledge. There is a plan, allow it to be worked, or else it's just a repeat of drought methodology

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Somebody should notify the Pegulas right away.  Keyboard warrior may switch teams.  Might even become a keyboard warrior for a division rival. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Somebody should notify the Pegulas right away.  Keyboard warrior may switch teams.  Might even become a keyboard warrior for a division rival. 

Nah i'd just quit the nfl.

But, by all means, continue your vapid snark.

23 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Do you happen to have stats showing the percentage other teams are blown out or perhaps a baseline of what constitutes a blowout?  Otherwise this stat means absolutely nothing

This is the only post in the thread worth a damn.

I’m shocked it wasn’t addressed by the OP or anyone else agreeing with OP’s premise.

Edited by KennyDavisEyes

And they got their QB.

Which you, and every other short-sighted "results IMMEDIATELY" person around here fails to acknowledge. There is a plan, allow it to be worked, or else it's just a repeat of drought methodology

And if the head coach is not capable of developing that quarterback sufficiently, we need to bring in a head coach and staff that can.

You think Beane and the Pegulas are going to sacrifice their quarterback for the defensive head coach? I don't.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe you and Joe should start one.... and stay there.?

...another quality, well thought out, highly contributory post from none other than.........we know your drill.......legendary.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

And if the head coach is not capable of developing that quarterback sufficiently, we need to bring in a head coach and staff that can.

You think Beane and the Pegulas are going to sacrifice their quarterback for the defensive head coach? I don't.

K then. You keep holding out hope there, Wayne-o.

I don't see it happening.

K then. You keep holding out hope there, Wayne-o.

I don't see it happening.

The only thing that I "hope" is that it doesn't come to that, Allen shows demonstrated progress throughout these next two months and that by December he's showing signs of greatness.