Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

:D  .....I count myself as one of those critics....and I will gladly back down if Allen continues to shine when he's playing in a real football game.....you all have every right and every reason to be encouraged....He has looked like a good QB prospect should look so far.  I'm just not buying that a guy with his on field history has suddenly been cured of all his ailments after some workouts iwth Jordan Palmer, a training camp, and 2 preseason games....The same coach who had Carson Wentz, should have been able to identify these and fix them...and didn't or couldn't...but now he's suddenly fixed?.....IF that IS the case...then myself and a TON of others will have been completely wrong..PLUS, it would be a major major defeat of the analytics crowd who all say Allen should be a monumental bust.

zerovolts.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Peterman throws a crappy ball too.

With Josh Allen starting the next preseason game it's obvious he is in serious contention. Honestly a lot of QBs look insignificant in a competition with a rocket launcher. Next to Josh Allen everyone has a noodle arm. 

I was kinda skeptical to be honest. Looking at the big picture I felt like the team was still transitioning and wouldn't be a good fit for a drafted rookie to start immediately. 

Preseason gave me the impression that the Bills could have an Offense with an identity. I'd be happy to see our rookie become the face of the franchise. 

Peterman was always going to be the odd man out when they drafted Josh Allen. I liked his preseason but I'm not in denial. The guy with the stronger arm is probably going to win the job when his job is throwing a ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

Love the crowd saying the Bill’s first four games are like playing the ‘85 Bears and the Steel Curtain twice over. 

Yeah they’re decent teams that will probably have decent defenses. So what? It’s the NFL, Ladies, and these are the guys you’re going to have to beat if you’re going to have a successful season. 

Lets see see if the Kid is up to the challenge. Hiding him from the big, scary defenses does him no favor.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Love the crowd saying the Bill’s first four games are like playing the ‘85 Bears and the Steel Curtain twice over. 

Yeah they’re decent teams that will probably have decent defenses. So what? It’s the NFL, Ladies, and these are the guys you’re going to have to beat if you’re going to have a successful season. 

Lets see see if the Kid is up to the challenge. Hiding him from the big, scary defenses does him no favor.

I won't speak for other but this was my thinking.

You have to consider what context I was talking about.

I said this early in the off season using the "Allen has a lot of work to do" before he can start premise.

I wouldn't want to start a rookie QB who is working on changing his footwork, mechanics and trying to grasp the NFL game.

Clearly either these issues were overstated OR JA is very coachable and has made great strides already.

With a good showing Sunday I have no problem starting him.

5 hours ago, Lfod said:

If Josh Allen wants to step up and take the job so be it. I think the long time Bills fans deserve a QB. I think Peterman set the bar. 9/10 1TD and 1 Int.

Against the most vanilla nfl defense a QB will ever see outside their own training camp.

Oooh so close to being the full time starter, I can taste it.

I have maintained that I don't want him to start until McD thinks he is ready AND I still do, but if he does start this means that he is really ready and the new era begins !!!

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

WOOOOOOT! 

The next 15 years begin Sunday!!

What are you talking about ?? 20 years baby !!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Against the most vanilla nfl defense a QB will ever see outside their own training camp.

It was already reported that the browns were not using a 'vanilla' defense in the first 2 quarters of this past pre-season game. They were throwing blitz packages at allen and running stunts and he did just fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Back on the BBMB I remember folks saying the Bills were just playing vanilla defense in preseason and that they would look totally different in the regular season. Time and time again, what we saw in the Regular Season was the same as Preseason. 

I don’t think they could really effectively gameplan for Josh for at least a few weeks or until midseason.  I trust McD regardless of what he decides for the Regular Season, he has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Depends on how he does, if he bombs then probably not.

I guess it could happen, but I just don't see it.

I don't see him failing in preseason. He has the talent to just win when it's basically a pick-up game. No gameplanning.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

It was already reported that the browns were not using a 'vanilla' defense in the first 2 quarters of this past pre-season game. They were throwing blitz packages at allen and running stunts and he did just fine.

2 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Back on the BBMB I remember folks saying the Bills were just playing vanilla defense in preseason and that they would look totally different in the regular season. Time and time again, what we saw in the Regular Season was the same as Preseason. 

I don’t think they could really effectively gameplan for Josh for at least a few weeks or until midseason.  I trust McD regardless of what he decides for the Regular Season, he has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

I'm not sure people understand what is meant by "vanilla" defense.  It doesn't mean teams aren't running their own schemes and looks.  It does mean teams are not specifically game planning for what the other team runs.  There's a huge difference.  What was reported by some of the Bills defensive players is that they saw looks from the Browns -- particularly in the running game -- they had not prepared for, which resulted in some of the big plays.

For the 3rd preseason game teams typically do a bit of game planning, as they are really trying to simulate a "normal" week leading up to a regular season game.  Of course, no team is going to show everything during preseason but this is going to be a good, true test for Allen against a better than average Cinci defense.

7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Domdab99, I concur.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not sure people understand what is meant by "vanilla" defense.  It doesn't mean teams aren't running their own schemes and looks.  It does mean teams are not specifically game planning for what the other team runs.  There's a huge difference.  What was reported by some of the Bills defensive players is that they saw looks from the Browns -- particularly in the running game -- they had not prepared for, which resulted in some of the big plays.

For the 3rd preseason game teams typically do a bit of game planning, as they are really trying to simulate a "normal" week leading up to a regular season game.  Of course, no team is going to show everything during preseason but this is going to be a good, true test for Allen against a better than average Cinci defense.

I was referring to Peterman in game one. That was vanilla defense. 

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen has been brought along a steady, gradual, well defined path that was probably in place a few months ago.

It will culminate with him starting in Baltimore.

Bank on it!

So...we're done crusading now?

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I was referring to Peterman in game one. 

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

And here...we...go.....

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Been fun watching the Josh Allen experience you have going on.

I've been on record from the beginning saying the kid wouldn't succeed.  I haven't changed my mind about that.

Of all the QB situations where there is a high rookie pick, Buffalo is the one where the kid you drafted was pretty much the best QB on the roster the second his name was called at the draft.  Besides being on record about Allen, I am also quoted throughout this place saying McCarron and Peterson are known commodities of below average nobodies.  

I still hope Allen succeeds.  I can't help but think that every fan base is too critical or too optimistic about pre season football.  I think this applies to Allen as well.  No one is game planning against him.  He is known to have a hard time with making reads.  He is known to struggle under pressure.

The kid has a great arm...everyone knew it from the beginning.  He can really sling that ball...and there will be some times when that arm overcomes a bad read etc...

I will remain skeptical of Allen until I have seen him perform against a D that is actually playing their scheme with their starters, gameplanning and all that.  

Ryan Leaf had some incredible pre seasons....articles were written about how the Colts had screwed up the pick...all based on a few preseason games.  Be Wary.

giphy.gif

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Funny they announced this so early just to sell tickets. I guess we know who's in charge. 

I know you're probably joking, but I do think they announced it early to see if Cincy does any gameplanning/extra blitzing knowing it's a rook behind center.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Funny they announced this so early just to sell tickets. I guess we know who's in charge. 

Yep.  That's why in the regular season, we play all the starters the full game....just to sell tickets.  Terry and Kim know that if you don't play the starters in the regular season, you won't sell tickets.  

Image result for thinking man gif

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Nice! 

This should be it, right? No looking back. 

They can't be flip-flopping between him and Peterman.

This is still preseason, they can "flip flop" as much as they want still.  But that being said, in the "dress rehearsal" preseason game 3 you tend to see the week 1 starters play the first half and maybe a series or two into the second half.  So for the "start Allen" crowd, this is very good news.

However, with the news that McCarron does not have a fracture means he could still be considered, even though he likely won't play at all Sunday.  We'll know when McCoach wants us to know and not before :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

5 hours ago, eball said:

Thanks.   Someone needed to say this.

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Oline improvement is probably wishful thinking at this point IMO.

On the other hand though how much better will Allen make the Oline and everyone else around him look.

that is what I've been saying with all of the O Lines sucks discussions ..

Week 1 Nate marched down the field with the crappy 1st stringers and scored. 

Week 2 Josh came into the game with an "inferior"2nd string" O Line marched down field 3 straight times to score.