Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I've been pleasantly surprised mostly with his poise in the pocket but there's still plenty of work to be done. EJ Manuel showed all the same stuff when he was a rookie so I'm being cautious. 

It is early yet but Josh is passing the eye test and  "it" factor for me so far. Josh was picked in a QB heavy draft whereas EJ was a reach in a bad QB draft. I can remember Robert Woods with his hands on his hips after he beat his man down the sidelines and EJ airmailed the ball 15 yards out of bounds. That was my 1st clue. 

I just hope Josh learns how to slide. I did not like seeing him go down head first on those runs in Cleveland.

He's better equipped than Peterman to avoid the rush given our o-line pass protection worries.  He seems mentally tough enough to not get "ruined" by a bad performance or a poor o-line.  If he performs well this week then just start him.  It's not like Peterman is Mr. Reliable when it comes to not making mistakes that will cost you the game.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's looked a little better than I expected. Mostly the way he carries himself. 

The arm is bigger than I thought. It honestly looks like he could throw a football through a brick wall. His mobility has been as advertised. His command of the huddle has been impressive and he hangs in the pocket pretty well.

The flip side is that the yards per attempt has been pathetic. The easy fix is completing a deep ball or two. I also worry about the vanilla defenses he's faced and take everything he's doing with a grain of salt. No one is game planning against him yet. 

I've been pleasantly surprised mostly with his poise in the pocket but there's still plenty of work to be done. EJ Manuel showed all the same stuff when he was a rookie so I'm being cautious. 

Genuine question, did EJ ever look as comfortable as Allen seems to be in the pocket? I remember him getting spooked pretty easily.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Genuine question, did EJ ever look as comfortable as Allen seems to be in the pocket? I remember him getting spooked pretty easily.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. 

I felt EJ looked quite good his first preseason (when healthy) and his first four games before getting injured. 

His poise is what led to a couple comebacks early as a rookie, but eventually defenses figured him out, he never adjusted and the wheels fell off. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I felt EJ looked quite good his first preseason (when healthy) and his first four games before getting injured. 

His poise is what led to a couple comebacks early as a rookie, but eventually defenses figured him out, he never adjusted and the wheels fell off. 

I just remember his pass to the hospitality tent. At least the report of it. I know it's preseason but it's better these guys are doing something and not nothing. 

Edited by Lfod

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I wasn't as down on EJ as a lot of others he just wasn't very good at anything. He did make some nice plays at times but I thought he got nervous in the pocket and when guys were in his face and that was one of his major downfalls. 

Just now, Lfod said:

I just remember his pass to the hospitality tent. At least the report of it.

I'm fairly certain that was two years later while he was competing against Tyrod and Cassel.

As a rookie he played quite well in pre season and early into the regular season before he hurt his knee. 

I wasn't as down on EJ as a lot of others he just wasn't very good at anything. He did make some nice plays at times but I thought he got nervous in the pocket and when guys were in his face and that was one of his major downfalls. 

I think that all happened later on. At the beginning EJ looked quite competent. 

All of this is why I'm being cautious with Allen. As I've mentioned, I want to wait and see how he looks once the opposition has watched film on him and are actually trying to stop him. 

I think it was witten that mentioned it in tonights game on ESPN

The greats step up into the pocket something we've watched Allen do often.

E J not so much...

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

:D  .....I count myself as one of those critics....and I will gladly back down if Allen continues to shine when he's playing in a real football game.....you all have every right and every reason to be encouraged....He has looked like a good QB prospect should look so far.  I'm just not buying that a guy with his on field history has suddenly been cured of all his ailments after some workouts iwth Jordan Palmer, a training camp, and 2 preseason games....The same coach who had Carson Wentz, should have been able to identify these and fix them...and didn't or couldn't...but now he's suddenly fixed?.....IF that IS the case...then myself and a TON of others will have been completely wrong..PLUS, it would be a major major defeat of the analytics crowd who all say Allen should be a monumental bust.

Thanks for gracing us with your almighty opinions.  I also am a fan of Mahomes because I did a deep dive on his films and find found his decision making striking.  He never ran that air raid offense like an air raid quarterback. Likewise I was not a fan of Allen.  He made a number of bad decisions and terrible interceptions.  But he did some great throws and good decisions also.

You can display all the false bravado you want about Mahomes, he still has to prove it just like Allen.  No one's game planned based on film for Mahomes yet.  So far he's got a one game start on Allen.

My mind began changing on Allen because he was an extremely raw talent going in to Wyoming and still is.  His decision making was great in the Cleveland game, he is noticably improving.

I would rather Allen sit to start the year but would feel more queasy if he couldn't pull even/beat out the other 2 quarterbacks we have now.  

That's why I, and I think others, are juiced about Allen.  Some may be reading more into this opportunity but most are not.  We certainly don't need you coming on here and acting like we're all stupid about Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the thing of it

We can say "well its not the regular season and it will be different for Josh Allen then"

This absolutely goes the same thing for Peterman.....IN MY OPINION....the almost interceptions that are happening in pre season with Peterman are going to turn into real interceptions and bad ones when teams start game planning against our QBs.

I fully expect Allen to make some mistakes but it wont be because balls hang in the air to get jumped by DB's.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the thing of it

We can say "well its not the regular season and it will be different for Josh Allen then"

This absolutely goes the same thing for Peterman.....IN MY OPINION....the almost interceptions that are happening in pre season with Peterman are going to turn into real interceptions and bad ones when teams start game planning against our QBs.

I fully expect Allen to make some mistakes but it wont be because balls hang in the air to get jumped by DB's.

Yep, the faster the game gets around Peterson the slower his ball travels through the air.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

No way.  When you look at the size of Allen and athletic ability you can see the comparison.   But EJ completely lacks instinct running, throwing and avoiding pass rush.  His play looks forced and rehearsed.  When things break down he is in trouble.

Allen seems to have natural instinct on the field.  Both of his TD plays in the preseason games were natural plays, throwing between defenders on the first one and avoiding the rush and keeping his head up, that EJ could not make.  

it always drove me crazy that Whaley said EJ had the “It” factor, implying that he had the intangibles that would make him a special QB.  But that’s exactly what EJ is missing.  So far Allen seems way more comfortable with natural instincts that EJ doesn’t have

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm fairly certain that was two years later while he was competing against Tyrod and Cassel.

As a rookie he played quite well in pre season and early into the regular season before he hurt his knee. 

I Iook at Josh like ok he has experienced pressure. He has made some wow plays. It has been enough to earn him a start in preseason. I think his story is still being written when everybody says they have the book. 

I wanna see how he plays next game. I don't know if it will leave me feeling more excited or more cautious and dissapointed. I'm still in the middle. I'm not sold but very interested. 

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes, now we are getting somewhere...please go pull all those QB's preseason stats and report back.  I also want you to pull the following:  Kurt Warner, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Steve Young, Don Majkowski, Todd Marinovich, EJ Manuel, Andre Ware, and Tim Couch.  

I would like a complete breakdown of their first year preseason stats on the ones you mentioned and those guys so we have a baseline comparison.  You have 1 hour.

Look up Josh Allen’s too