Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Gotta keep the secret plan out of the hands of the Ravens. 

riiiiiight..?

Nevermind every team we play this year staying up late dissecting the game tape, looking for weaknesses and Daboll’s strategy changes from Dennison. It’s just the 3RD PRESEASON GAME with our highly expensive Future at QB. What’s there to see?!

/sarcasm off

I'm not sure how much you can believe McD in his press conference (meaning any coach, I like him a lot), but it makes me feel better about him that this was somewhat of the plan all along. I always thought and said it here dozens of times that he was playing Nate with the ones as a reward more than an actual chance at the starting job, and much more importantly, that he wanted Allen to win the job in front of his teammates rather than just being annointed the starter.

I was hoping this was always the case, and I expected Allen to be starting game one right from the start, back in OTAs. If you take McD at his word, this is what they planned on, too, and Allen did his part of the bargain. 

It was smart to do it this way, and they did it right. Even with Peterman doing what he did, and to some extent McCarron doing what he did.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not sure how much you can believe McD in his press conference (meaning any coach, I like him a lot), but it makes me feel better about him that this was somewhat of the plan all along. I always thought and said it here dozens of times that he was playing Nate with the ones as a reward more than an actual chance at the starting job, and much more importantly, that he wanted Allen to win the job in front of his teammates rather than just being annointed the starter.

I was hoping this was always the case, and I expected Allen to be starting game one right from the start, back in OTAs. If you take McD at his word, this is what they planned on, too, and Allen did his part of the bargain. 

It was smart to do it this way, and they did it right. Even with Peterman doing what he did, and to some extent McCarron doing what he did.

Post of the Year -to date!

Just now, The Red King said:

I think he's still undecided, but I think this game means everything.  If Allen does well, there is no way they start Peterman, or frenzied fans with torches and pitchforks will show up at the stadium.  I think it's pretty clear.  This is Allen's final exam.  If he shows the right stuff and doesn't crumble under pressure, I think he wins the QB battle right then and there.  I also think McD didn't expect it.  Start with 3rd string, start with 2nd string...I think the original plan was expecting Allen to falter at some point.  He hasn't.  So, this is it.  The big one.

IMO, that's exactly what separates the good from the great...how to handle those pressure situations. The best QBs handle them with poise, focus, and elevated game production. This isn't a pressure situation from the Bills' seasonal outcomes, but obviously it is for his own career trajectory. Additionally, it's his first "start" so it will be interesting to see how he takes the next step in the progress. 

I wouldn't be disappointed or upset if he stumbles a bit given his Rookie status and his youthfulness. However, I would be quite impressed and excited if he's able to truly elevate his game to meet the competition. Also, you wonder how much "vanilla" the Offense will be vs. the Bengals' Defense. Anyways, exciting to see and certainly hope he can come out and put all of the talk to rest with an incredible game (half). 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Beane laid it out with the 1st test being against the Panthers. 

Bills GM: First preseason game could be pivotal for rookie QB Josh Allen

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – The Buffalo Bills’ first preseason game could serve as a Year 1 crossroads of sorts for rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane told Postmedia on Sunday that the number of reps Allen gets in training camp thereafter could rise or fall, depending on his performance in that game against the Carolina Panthers a week from Thursday night, Aug. 9.

Allen, the cannon-armed No. 7 overall draft pick from the University of Wyoming, is battling fifth-year A.J. McCarron and second-year Nathan Peterman for the starter’s job.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane laid it out with the 1st test being against the Panthers. 

Bills GM: First preseason game could be pivotal for rookie QB Josh Allen

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – The Buffalo Bills’ first preseason game could serve as a Year 1 crossroads of sorts for rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane told Postmedia on Sunday that the number of reps Allen gets in training camp thereafter could rise or fall, depending on his performance in that game against the Carolina Panthers a week from Thursday night, Aug. 9.

Allen, the cannon-armed No. 7 overall draft pick from the University of Wyoming, is battling fifth-year A.J. McCarron and second-year Nathan Peterman for the starter’s job.

Yep. Again, I was hoping that this was what they were going to do, and to me it was the obvious thing to do. They made a really good decision to let all the twos and all the threes have as many reps as the ones, which not all teams do. That allowed the QB competition to be on a more fair playing field.

My greatest fear, which I also said a bunch of times, would be that NP would fool them in practice and in preseason the way Trent Edwards did. Guys with rag arms CAN play very well in practice and in preseason because it is played at 3/4 speed. The death knells are not death knells, and even good coaches can get fooled. That's what happened with Chan and Trent, as well as other coaches around the league with guys like Kellen Moore and Colt McCoy, etc. Those guys can never succeed with any consistency in the regular season.

McD had already been fooled last year by Nate and allowed Dennison to talk him into NP starting. It was a catastrophe and he had to apologize to the team afterwards.

Nate did play very well this preseason but in only 1/3 of the field. Thankfully, Allen excelled, and it appears that McD wasn't bamboozled.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So Dupre, Proehl, Streator and Mcloud are starters? Why dont people even look at their own videos before posting?

Edit: Didnt mean you 26. Meant the original poster of the video (Matt Bove).

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

So Dupre, Proehl, Streator and Mcloud are starters? Why dont people even look at their own videos before posting?

Plus it was just the skeletal and individual drill throws, which is all the media is allowed to watch in their 15 minutes. Just dumb by Bove.

20 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Plus it was just the skeletal and individual drill throws, which is all the media is allowed to watch in their 15 minutes. Just dumb by Bove.

Not much to be gleaned from stretch and individual drills that the media is only allowed to see for the remainder of the season. 

Bills coach Sean McDermott had plan all along to start Josh Allen against Bengals

NYup.com

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott said Wednesday that starting quarterback Josh Allen in the team's third preseason game was the plan all along.

Allen will lead the first team against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday at New Era Field, and McDermott said the team announced the decision Monday so the the rookie could go through the routine of being the starting passer.

"Announcing it (was about) really wanting him to go through a routine for what it'd be like, and dealing with potential distractions and all that goes with the quarterback position, and learning how to balance that," McDermott said. "AJ (McCarron) has been through that naturally, and Nate (Peterman) has been through it as well, and this is an opportunity for Josh to go through it for his first time."

McDermott said that this week the team will have a typical practice schedule to emulate what it'll be like in the regular season.
McDermott wouldn't give any clarity on if Allen's performance against the Bengals could win him the starting job but did say there's an evaluation process that will take place throughout the week.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

1. Take out plate.

2. Add garbage.

My non-paleo recipe is 1lb of ground beef, diced potato, onion,  A1.    cook in large skillet for whatever...  cover with velveeta, broil for 5min then smother in ketchup.

Can we Bills actually handle it if Allen is indeed the franchise QB?

A lot of Bills fans have no idea what a franchise QB looks like for their own team.

There are those of us who were old enough to remember how good it was that from 86-86, we didn't have to worry about the QB position. And that is big plus when trying to build a team. Even though there was major controversy in 96 that Kelly was done that year.

Can you handle a franchise QB? ?

38 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I hope he kills it on Sunday so I can use these amazing Josh Allen gifs in every post

giphy.gif

Actually never mind, I'll be using them regardless

This thing made me laugh out loud! 

Thank you!

My God, that is just fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

What Josh Allen hopes to accomplish in his first preseason start

For eager Bills fans it’s a big deal. For national and Western New York media it’s a big deal. Josh Allen’s first start in Buffalo’s third preseason game is a big deal to just about everyone, but Josh Allen.

“I’m not really thinking of it any differently. It’s an opportunity to go out there and play and work hard,” he said after practice Wednesday. “It’s an exciting time for me. At the same time, I’m just looking to go out there and show my teammates how much I want to win, how hard I want to work and when we get on the field how well I can execute the plays that coach Daboll calls and how much I trust these guys on the field with me.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

I think he's still undecided, but I think this game means everything.  If Allen does well, there is no way they start Peterman, or frenzied fans with torches and pitchforks will show up at the stadium.

Knowing Coach McDermott i doubt very seriously fan reaction plays into his decision making process at all. Fans had pitch forks and stuff out when he made his QB decision last year and we made the playoffs.

"A coach that listens the fans is soon sitting with them." - - Marv Levy

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen, the cannon-armed 

Has anyone ever heard any announcer mention his name without saying big arm (or some varient) within 5 words?

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Knowing Coach McDermott i doubt very seriously fan reaction plays into his decision making process at all. Fans had pitch forks and stuff out when he made his QB decision last year and we made the playoffs.

Has anyone ever heard any announcer mention his name without saying big arm (or some varient) within 5 words?

Not that I’ve heard. I think it speaks to how truly rare an accurate cannon of an arm is.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not that I’ve heard. I think it speaks to how truly rare an accurate cannon of an arm is.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a strong arm. Obviously he doez. I think it's also sports announcer laziness like the whole O'Leary/Nicholas thing. Or, Fitz went to Harvard.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

true that, 

Veteran players on the other hand and even the younger players as they are already looking up to Allen speak volumes in my humble opinion red.

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm not saying he doesn't have a strong arm. Obviously he doez. I think it's also sports announcer laziness like the whole O'Leary/Nicholas thing. Or, Fitz went to Harvard.

I've taken to saying "Did you know that O'Leary's grandmother played lacrosse at Yale?"

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

true that, 

Veteran players on the other hand and even the younger players as they are already looking up to Allen speak volumes in my humble opinion red.

True.

I have no real idea on who should or will start.  I have my suspicions.

I just think a lot of us are getting out ahead of ourselves.  Josh played really well vs Cleveland's backup defense on 3 drives.  One extended by a illegal hands to the face that would have been a 3 and out otherwise. The other drive started on the Clown 41.  The 2nd half drive fizzled.  Not taking away from the good stuff he did.  It's a good start.  But "franchise QB" and such labels are way too premature IMHO.  I'm looking forward to what he does against Cincy starters.  But even then, it's pre season without game planning.  While encouraging, it means nothing.  His first outing was very hit or miss.

At this point in EJ's career a lot of us were saying we'd found our guy.  Trent was getting Joe Montana comparisons at this point in his career.

I'm encouraged, but am holding my buffalos.

• Thank you (+1) 1