Pre-Season Game #1 - What/who are you concentrating on?

Before the kick-off, I'm interested what positions and expectations you have for the first pre-season game.  Here are a few of mine:

DEFENSE

• I do NOT expect much from the defense overall or last year's starters. I imagine they'll run a simple game plan to see who individuals read, react and complete assignments. 
  • Having said that, I'll what the following closely:
    • Lawson/Adolphus - Are they winning battles? Being disruptive? Playing like their jobs are on the line?
    • Back-up Linebackers - Anyone look like they could challenge LoAlex for playing time and/or put Huber on the hot seat?
    • I'd like to see the second and third secondary units in action. Right now the depth has great potential and curious how the work together. 

OFFENSE

• Yes, the QB battle is fun but I'm much more concerned about the OLINE starters. They battle everyday with a very good defense but let's hope they can withstand Carolina.
  • OLINE again: individual battles, do they work well together, provide sufficient time and holes?  Difficult to assess QBs if they are running for their life and RBs have no where to go. 
  • Can anyone threaten Mills at LT?
  • Assuming QBs have some time to work the passing game, I'm most curious about Streater, Reilly and Dupre. Can Proehl make a difference in "game time?"  

SPECIAL TEAMS

• Who gets first team snaps? Anyone standout?  

Not a damn thing to be honest, just get out healthy.

People overreact to the pre-season. In turn people overreact to those people overreacting. Which then leased to the people who were overreacting about the pre-season, overeating about the overreaction of those who overreacted to those overreacting about the pre-season. 

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 2

Can’t really ‘concentrate’ on any particular player/position. Strategies will be vanilla and constant substitutions won’t tell the untrained eye anything, good or bad. Every year, there’s surprise players in preseason who don’t make the final cut and players who fans believe have no business being in the League make a team.

Sure, I’m anxious to see our 2 1st rounders perform, but there’s little to no long lasting impact either way. Im HOPING for no injuries to projected starters.

For me it is always the rookies. Obviously Allen, but I'm excited to watch Phillips, I want to see him dominate. Siran Neal will be interesting to me too. How will he look with the big bump in talent around him?

Correction - I am going to concentrate on how much Beer i am drinking, I am not in regular season form so I have to work my way up to it.

One beer per quarter is the goal, today.

I'll report back on the performance in detail tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Correction - I am going to concentrate on how much Beer i am drinking, I am not in regular season form so I have to work my way up to it.

One beer per quarter is the goal, today.

I'll report back on the performance in detail tomorrow. 

Unless you're talking about very high-test IPAs, I would think you'd set a loftier goal for yourself than just 4 beers over a 3 hour game, even if getting back into form. At the very least, start with a pre-gamer and chug one at half-time. Get that 6 pack down and then you're on your way...

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

People overreact to the pre-season. In turn people overreact to those people overreacting. Which then leased to the people who were overreacting about the pre-season, overeating about the overreaction of those who overreacted to those overreacting about the pre-season. 

Calm down!

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Calm down!

STOP OVER REACTING BRO!

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Unless you're talking about very high-test IPAs, I would think you'd set a loftier goal for yourself than just 4 beers over a 3 hour game, even if getting back into form. At the very least, start with a pre-gamer and chug one at half-time. Get that 6 pack down and then you're on your way...

I have a high level business meeting tomorrow about some land I have to purchase. Need to be in tip top shape. 

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The obvious QB play.  First teams Im going to watch Edmunds.   The rest see If Coleman makes an appearance, see if any Wr 1st or 2nd year can make a move up the roster.  

Maybe Coleman with Allen in the second half. A few play where he goes Deep.

QB play OL play WR Play for me.. I expect the D to be vanilla tonight, but I also expect them to be very good.

The offense is a huge open question mark, and I need to see some positives outside of camp reports

I'm one of those sick individuals (and there are many like me on this board) that loves watching Bills pre-season games.  I don't care much about the score or who wins, but I really enjoy seeing how some of the unknowns develop.  QB, OL and WR are big question marks to watch.  I also want to see Edmonds in his first NFL action.  Finally, I love watching the 4th quarter when the long shot guys get a chance to show their skills and make some plays.  Who is going to be this year's Landon Cohen?  This year's Eddie Yarborough?  This year's UDFA WR that nobody has ever heard up who is going to look great (and probably still not make the team)?  When watching other teams in preseason, I only have interest in the big names, but when it's the Bills, I take great interest in 54-90. 

9 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Well said, especially the first preseason game.  I am curious to see all 3 QBs in live action like anyone else, but I am not going to come out of this game with any different opinions no matter how well or bad any of them do.  First preseason game is about as meaningless as a scrimmage.  I am more interested in what happens in games 2 and 3 on than the first one.  Those are the games you start to see who is in the lead for starting at position battles and get to see them play a little longer and with more of the playbook.