Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was end of 2012 season when Gailey was getting fired... many assumed it was Gruden or Cowher about to be hired. 

But it was Marrone.

"That really took the sail out of our winds."

On 8/20/2018 at 5:31 PM, 3rdand12 said:

Do not see Beanes method allowing big spending.

especially after having to dump Dareus and all that darned dead money....

Beane's method got rid of high status players, with injury histories or a perceived lack of buy in; players he did not draft nor sign.  Beane is aggressive.  And we will see him spend $, but it will be on his guy: drafted, traded for or chosen as targets in Free Agency.   

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love Mack...but:

1. I just cant see Beane what it would take for us trading for him, not to mention, I am not convinced he's even obtainable from the Raiders yet.
  2. I also don't think we should trade for him.  Right now, our defensive front 7 has both quality vets and some exciting rookies.  
  3. Our OL is a total mess and we have a lot of other offensive question marks, so I do not feel we can afford to move out a lot of quality draft picks right now we are going to need to build around Josh. 

Don't get me wrong, Mack would be a great addition, but I think we will be a stronger team if we invest draft pick assets and cap space in FA into our OL and some other weapons for Josh.  Like anyone, I would be excited if a Mack trade happened, but at the same time I still think we should stand pat and see how the D does with all the veteran and rookie additions we added (Vontae, Star, Edmunsds, and Phillips) and look to invest heavy in the offense next year in both FA and the Draft.  

You can get Mack and still invest draft capital and cap space to the offense.  The Bills are not cap strapped in 2019.  I think folks are overthinking the theoretical possibility of Mack.  If it were possible you do it.   

Mack plays an impact position, has a long history of high-end production, and will just be hitting his prime years when an extension kicks in.   I'm not saying get him at all costs, but I don't think it would take all costs.  The longer he stays away the worse it is for the Raiders; on field and off.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Beane's method got rid of high status players, with injury histories or a perceived lack of buy in; players he did not draft nor sign.  Beane is aggressive.  And we will see him spend $, but it will be on his guy: drafted, traded for or chosen as targets in Free Agency.   

This would be easily his biggest foray into the market since  a Bill though. Unprecedented big : )

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

This would be easily his biggest foray into the market since  a Bill though. Unprecedented big : )

True, but we could say that about 99% of NFL GMs because trades of this magnitude are rare.  Out of all the GMs currently in the league, how many have made the number of trades Beane has in the same short time period?  Beane will wheel and deal at his price.

32 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You don't go out and make this kind of move without knowing your team is already very good. This type of move is 2-3 years away

why wait? You try to get as good as you can as quickly as you can....

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why?

If you have the resources and the cap room to make it happen why do you wait 2 to 3 years to get a difference maker?

I concur

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not that I think a trade is likely, but out of curiosity, when would this kind of trade make sense? 

Would you want to do it after the 3rd preseason game? 

For the buying team, obviously you want him sooner than later, but also realize that his value drops each day he doesn’t sign.

For the selling team, you want to hold off long enough to make sure you can’t sign him, but not so long that you loose his value. Also, you want to not make it obvious that you’re pushover for the next guy up. 

All of your points make sense but the situation is fluid in real time.

Both sides have been waiting for the other to blink and weeks have turned to months.

It seems like Mack is adamant (so far) in what he wants.

What we fans are in the dark about is whether or not there are any talks about trades yet.

Every week that goes by with Mack willing to sit puts more and more pressure on OAK to "settle it" one way or the other.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why?

If you have the resources and the cap room to make it happen why do you wait 2 to 3 years to get a difference maker?

Because Mario Williams and Suh is why.  You burn dollars and the prime years on expensive FAs when you aren't ready to go all the way

By the time the team is ready to complete, there are likely better and younger FAs available you can't target because you have old expensive vets 

Look at the eagles, Patriots, etc. There will be guys available when we make a strong push and Mack and Donald will be on the decline.

We should be trying to stack our team with Micah Hyde's next year.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because Mario Williams and Suh is why.  You burn dollars and the prime years on expensive FAs when you aren't ready to go all the way

By the time the team is ready to complete, there are likely better and younger FAs available you can't target because you have old expensive vets 

Look at the eagles, Patriots, etc. There will be guys available when we make a strong push and Mack and Donald will be on the decline.

We should be trying to stack our team with Micah Hyde's next year.

....just opinion, but I think that is more the "McBeane Way" versus draft capital and mega bucks.........Mack/Donald will be WELL north of Von Miller $$$....

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You don't go out and make this kind of move without knowing your team is already very good. This type of move is 2-3 years away

Difference makers are that makes the team good.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why?

Exactly.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Keep him out of the AFC East!

No 

Bring him to the AFC East as a bill!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

Jets snake us moving up in the draft and now they are going to steal Mack out of our backyard!?

Jerry Hughes plus a 2020 first rounder would be it,  add about 8-9 mill to Jerry's salary and that brings you to about 18-20 mill a season

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gruden's not happy. Pull the trigger Beane. Milano is probably not going to cut it and Lorax might be on his last season? Besides oline our 2nd weakest unit are the LB's....

Fact is we had one of worst pass rushes in the NFL,  getting to QB is must in this league.  

On to you if the aforementioned rebuild, The bills don't have a very realistic way to afford him on his current deal, a deal he's holding out of. 

I think the chances of us landing him are approaching zero. You'll have to overpay on the trade and the contract. Neither of which were you in a position to do on a team with holes everywhere.

36 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yep it’s terrible. Edmunds in 49 is going to be tough to look at.

He woulda looked so good in 59. 

Just a waste. Grow up watching it one way and then they change it. It’s about as bad as recieveres completely abandoning the 80’s. I don’t mind teen # for WR, but why do none of them wear high numbers anymore?

Edited by whatdrought

4 hours ago, mannc said:

No team will pay that.  None.

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

No way does that happen.

I actually thought the same thing, and thought I definitely DON'T want the Bills doing that...............But, I also keep seeing Hughes name being thrown in and I don't think he's going to move the needle for the Raiders.