Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m unsure whether I want to trade for him or not...obviously he’s a great talent but I’m thinking our main areas of upgrade need to be centered around protecting JA and getting JA some weapons...I may be wrong but it seems trading for Mack and then signing him to $100 million contract would kill that whole process.

Depends on how his new deal was structured.  I think we’re slated to have north of 80 mill in cap room for 2019.  We could get  Mack, and via draft and FA, could shore up this team for a championship run including adding some toys for Daboll.

This all depends on Josh Allen though....

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bosa is going #1 overall. Oliver probably #2 or #3. I don't think we'll be that bad. And i already know Khalil Mack is an elite game changing pass rusher entering the prime of his career. I wouldn't hesitate to trade our 1st, our 3rd, and either of Lawson or Hughes for him.

Under the assumption you're right...that's too high of a cost to the team, when its just to bulster a good Defense. Even more so, when our Offense needs the extra investment. If our O situation was different I can see Bean eating the cost. 

FWIW, the beat writer for NYup.com, Matt Parrino, did an AMA on the NFL subreddit today and was asked about a possible Mack trade to Buffalo. He considered it a “strong possibility.” Not sure how plugged in this particular reporter is, but it seems like the rumors are still swirling.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Beane wants him he's ours. No other team can offer better draft pick compensation. If Green Bay gets him it isn't because they outbid us, it's because Beane didn't want to give up a 1st rounder next year. Personally I'd do it and I'm pretty sure we'll be picking in the top 10.

I don't think I'd want to trade for a veteran who isn't going to get us out of the top 10. 

• Like (+1) 2

It all depends on Josh Allen in my opinion. If over the next month Beane and McD thinks he looks to be the QB for the next 5 years, you can give Mack QB money for those 5 years, the cap won't be an issue and you have your edge rusher taken care of. The Raiders have already paid Carr and the Packers have to pay Rogers. 

I'm not sure it will happen, but the Bills could do it financially and I think Beane is in the mix.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

5 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

It all depends on Josh Allen in my opinion. If over the next month Beane and McD thinks he looks to be the QB for the next 5 years, you can give Mack QB money for those 5 years, the cap won't be an issue and you have your edge rusher taken care of. The Raiders have already paid Carr and the Packers have to pay Rogers. 

I'm not sure it will happen, but the Bills could do it financially and I think Beane is in the mix.

Personally, I’d rather spend that money building around Allen on Offense.  A strong line and deep targets

• Like (+1) 1

Draft picks are lottery tickets. Unless the asking price is absolutely unreasonable, Beane needs to make that deal. Mack is a known quantity - all-pro, former defensive player of the year. I don’t care if we would end up trading the 1st overall pick next year, you get Mack you win that deal. Stop overvaluing draft picks - the Patriots have won a ton largely on the backs of mercenary free agents and trades.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Personally, I’d rather spend that money building around Allen on Offense.  A strong line and deep targets

There will be enough money for that if you pay Mack. But that being said, Dawkins, if he becomes the franchise LT, won't have to be paid until 2021 or 2022 which is the most expensive position on the line. IMO McD and Daboll will go the way of the Pats I regards to WR's. 

Edge rusher is arguably the second most important position on the field. If there is an opportunity to get a proven top 4 edge rusher and check it of the list they should do it.

As I type this I realize there is no way the Raiders are trading Mack.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Beane wants him he's ours. No other team can offer better draft pick compensation. If Green Bay gets him it isn't because they outbid us, it's because Beane didn't want to give up a 1st rounder next year. Personally I'd do it and I'm pretty sure we'll be picking in the top 10.

The Raiders can be had because they probably think there is a good chance the Anika pick will be high.  I don't see it.  I have a strong feeling this team will shock a lot of people.  It will come down to QB play.  But the rest of the team is not discernibly worse than last year, and the D should be improved.

I honestly haven’t given any serious consideration to the possibility of Khalil Mack being traded to buffalo. I still think he ends up staying in Oakland. I read that he has no interest in a trade, and that Reggie McKenzie has no interest in trading him. McKenzie and Mark Davis supposedly love Mack. 

The only way I see it happening is if Gruden decides it’s just not worth the price and he’s rather dump the money into his baby (offense). But I think they will ultimately work something out. 

Even if if he is traded, I dont know that Buffalo is the landing spot. There are other teams that make more sense IMO.

Plus, I don’t know that Beane would be willing to give up what it would take. He is all about building this team “the right way” - slowly through the draft. I think he also most likely feels that we are not a Khalil Mack away from a championship. There is a whole lot of work left to do before Buffalo is a true contender. I’m not sure that he will see trading away a bunch of draft capital and dedicating a huge chunk of cap space to Mack as the right move at this time.

Were we further along in the rebuild, I’d feel differently about our chances. But as of now we don’t even have an established QB. 

My guess is that Beane will make surrounding Allen with more talent his priority. After all, that pick will go a long way towards making his career as a GM. If Allen does well, Beane looks brilliant. A great defense probably does less for his staying power as a GM than if Allen is successful. I don’t think Allen’s success or failure will break his career or anything, but it sure can make it. 

Im all in though if Beane decides he wants to trade for Mack! I would be beyond excited. But I’m not going to set myself up for disappointment. 

The Green Bay Packers are the early favorites to acquire Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack before the 2018 NFL trade deadline.

OddsShark provided updated betting lines Saturday for where Mack, who's holding out of training camp because of a contract dispute with Oakland, will be when the deadline passes.

The Packers and the NFC North rival Chicago Bears have better odds than the Raiders:

UPDATE: Odds for which team Khalil Mack will be on after the trade deadline (@betmybookie?

Packers +200
Bears +300
Raiders +350
Jets +350
Bills +1000
Redskins +1500
Giants +2000
Field +600

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The Green Bay Packers are the early favorites to acquire Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack before the 2018 NFL trade deadline.

OddsShark provided updated betting lines Saturday for where Mack, who's holding out of training camp because of a contract dispute with Oakland, will be when the deadline passes.

The Packers and the NFC North rival Chicago Bears have better odds than the Raiders:

UPDATE: Odds for which team Khalil Mack will be on after the trade deadline (@betmybookie?

Packers +200
Bears +300
Raiders +350
Jets +350
Bills +1000
Redskins +1500
Giants +2000
Field +600

!@#$ the Jets! 

Git r done Beane!

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dammit. Can’t help it but click on this thread every time it gets bumped. (F5!) 

Im a sucker for Peter Pan every time..

Be honest, you ARE Peter Pan, right? 

I hope our man gets hooked on the pizza and wings, works EXTRA hard to work them off, and forces a trade to Duffs. 

Duffs would let Bocces deliver, right? I mean, for a Pro Bowler? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
7 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I’d love for the Bills to get Mack...but this seems like a “final piece” type of signing...and the Bills aren’t there yet. Next year, draft an OL, DL, LB, and WR...and fill in the rest with FA.

If Allen is the real deal, they are there.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, Augie said:

HUGE if, but IF we have the QB, I worry much less about the rest. 

I'm starting to think it's not that huge of an if.  The maneuvering in the pocket, sensing pressure and reading through his progressions all seem to be there.  I know it's early but some guys just have it and he looks like one of them.

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I'm starting to think it's not that huge of an if.  The maneuvering in the pocket, sensing pressure and reading through his progressions all seem to be there.  I know it's early but some guys just have it and he looks like one of them.

Don’t get me started. I’m trying VERY hard to not get ahead of myself. This is far more than I expected at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I honestly haven’t given any serious consideration to the possibility of Khalil Mack being traded to buffalo. I still think he ends up staying in Oakland. I read that he has no interest in a trade, and that Reggie McKenzie has no interest in trading him. McKenzie and Mark Davis supposedly love Mack. 

The only way I see it happening is if Gruden decides it’s just not worth the price and he’s rather dump the money into his baby (offense). But I think they will ultimately work something out. 

Even if if he is traded, I dont know that Buffalo is the landing spot. There are other teams that make more sense IMO.

Plus, I don’t know that Beane would be willing to give up what it would take. He is all about building this team “the right way” - slowly through the draft. I think he also most likely feels that we are not a Khalil Mack away from a championship. There is a whole lot of work left to do before Buffalo is a true contender. I’m not sure that he will see trading away a bunch of draft capital and dedicating a huge chunk of cap space to Mack as the right move at this time.

Were we further along in the rebuild, I’d feel differently about our chances. But as of now we don’t even have an established QB. 

My guess is that Beane will make surrounding Allen with more talent his priority. After all, that pick will go a long way towards making his career as a GM. If Allen does well, Beane looks brilliant. A great defense probably does less for his staying power as a GM than if Allen is successful. I don’t think Allen’s success or failure will break his career or anything, but it sure can make it. 

Im all in though if Beane decides he wants to trade for Mack! I would be beyond excited. But I’m not going to set myself up for disappointment. 

That doesn't fit the facts.  3/4 of the defensive secondary cam via Free Agency.  1/2 of the DL, the potential staring QB prior to injury, the back-up RB, potential starting C all came via Free Agency.  And the team's best WR came via trade.

Yes the draft has produced two possible QBs, the MLB, the OLB, the other 1/4 of the secondary, and the LT.  But McBeane gave away a mint to get the QB, MLB, and LT.  I don't think they values draft picks as only draft picks.  I think like any good GM/HC they will look at any means to improve the team.  

Adding one of the best players in the league at rushing the passer in 2018 is of much greater value than unknowns in 2019 or 2020

On 8/16/2018 at 11:44 PM, Bills Pimpin' said:

There will be enough money for that if you pay Mack. But that being said, Dawkins, if he becomes the franchise LT, won't have to be paid until 2021 or 2022 which is the most expensive position on the line. IMO McD and Daboll will go the way of the Pats I regards to WR's. 

Edge rusher is arguably the second most important position on the field. If there is an opportunity to get a proven top 4 edge rusher and check it of the list they should do it.

As I type this I realize there is no way the Raiders are trading Mack.

Edge rusher doesn't do us much good when teams can just repeatedly run right and get big yardage. That game, preseason or not, looks too much like the other post Dareus games. I miss the Schwartz defense.

15 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

If we’re talking hypotheticals / wish lists, I’d unload the Brinks truck (money, picks, players) for Aaron Donald... definitely need to get better up the middle

Does he love Buffalo, too? 

Could the Raiders just blow up because of this... not looking good...  If I am the Bills and he is town.... I am hoping every Buffalo organization is going out of their way to cater to this guy, but put a Bills sticker on any piece of merchandise this guy touches.. 

On 8/19/2018 at 9:51 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Leonard's leveraged himself to....Toronto.

As a long time Spurs fan, it's exactly what he deserves for his shenanigans.  He's lucky there isn't an NBA franchise in Serbia.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Could the Raiders just blow up because of this... not looking good...  If I am the Bills and he is town.... I am hoping every Buffalo organization is going out of their way to cater to this guy, but put a Bills sticker on any piece of merchandise this guy touches.. 

You don't have to sell Mack on Buffalo

17 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Edge rusher doesn't do us much good when teams can just repeatedly run right and get big yardage. That game, preseason or not, looks too much like the other post Dareus games. I miss the Schwartz defense.

Word - Schwartz put a scheme together keeping in mind the talent we had, and it showed. I want to agree with the interior line critique, but in all honest assessment, what real edge threats do we have?

Regardless of where they gouge us with the run game, Mack's presence would be more welcomed than not. Certainly so in pass rush while Hughes seems to be the only real threat we have, until Shaq lives up to his pick and whether or not Murphy is hurt the whole season. Does it make sense with the cap at present? Not entirely, but you can't deny the need for Mack's defensive presence, regardless, given our current unknowns. The kid also loves Buffalo, doubt he would ever have a hometown discount, but maybe more of the on-field, tangible dividends of playing for his town.

13 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Word - Schwartz put a scheme together keeping in mind the talent we had, and it showed. I want to agree with the interior line critique, but in all honest assessment, what real edge threats do we have?

Regardless of where they gouge us with the run game, Mack's presence would be more welcomed than not. Certainly so in pass rush while Hughes seems to be the only real threat we have, until Shaq lives up to his pick and whether or not Murphy is hurt the whole season. Does it make sense with the cap at present? Not entirely, but you can't deny the need for Mack's defensive presence, regardless, given our current unknowns. The kid also loves Buffalo, doubt he would ever have a hometown discount, but maybe more of the on-field, tangible dividends of playing for his town.

The problem with Hughes is that he is a liability in the run. He loses contain all the time to try and get to the QB, or he takes a dumb penalty after a great play. He is a great piece when mixed with another dominant end, but not by himself. We have such a good secondary going to waste and it's hard to fathom why they didn't seriously address the DT and DE. This is where a great pro personnel guy like Whaley shines. I'm not impressed at all by Beane's moves and he probably needs some help. If Benjamin stays healthy it will be his first positive for me. I'm not sold on the McDermott defense either and its going to need new linebackers to be effective. 

I would love Mack btw, but I don't think it would solve anything. 

Edited by Trogdor

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

As a long time Spurs fan, it's exactly what he deserves for his shenanigans.  He's lucky there isn't an NBA franchise in Serbia.  

I agree.  He parlayed some "thigh injury" into a ticket to Toronto.  At best he'll be on a crappy Clippers team the following season, where a nasty hangnail will keep him sidelined until he wants out of there too.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The problem with Hughes is that he is a liability in the run. He loses contain all the time to try and get to the QB, or he takes a dumb penalty after a great play. He is a great piece when mixed with another dominant end, but not by himself. We have such a good secondary going to waste and it's hard to fathom why they didn't seriously address the DT and DE. This is where a great pro personnel guy like Whaley shines. I'm not impressed at all by Beane's moves and he probably needs some help. If Benjamin stays healthy it will be his first positive for me. I'm not sold on the McDermott defense either and its going to need new linebackers to be effective. 

I would love Mack btw, but I don't think it would solve anything. 

How can you believe they didn’t address DT when they drafted Horrible Harry? Then, they went out and got Trent Murphy in free agency. It may not work out, but they clearly addressed the Dline. Plus, they stole Edmunds to replace Preston Brown. He might take a while to develop, but he’s a star in waiting. You clearly are not following the Bills very closely.