Ranking Drought Coaches

Gotta give it to Marrone. He had the 2nd best win percentage (2nd to Rex Ryan, but only because he was fired before the last game of the season.)

Can't give Rex any props because he took an elite defense and destroyed it. He reversed the upwards trend for the team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s an even funnier list if you rank them by the quality of their character.

I always liked Coach Chan. Made the offense tick with scrap parts.

I mean...OW! MY EYE!

;)

• Haha (+1) 1

Gailey

Marrone, obviously.

Gregggo

Cheeseburgers Mularkey

Rex, fully pregnant.

Skeletor

Gailey had the least amount of talent to work with and actually adapted his schemes to his players rather than the opposite... for that he gets the top spot imo.

• Like (+1) 1

• DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05
  • GREGG WILLIAMS, 2001-03
  • REX RYAN, 2015-2016

That is one ugly !@#$ing list.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:
  • DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05
  • REX RYAN, 2015-2016

That is one ugly !@#$ing list.

We're ranking them by how well they coached, not which ones you want to !@#$.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ryan

Marrone

Mularkey

Jauron

Gailey

Williams

Just one caveat here.   Ryan and Marrone were both more successful on the opposite side of the ball than their specialty.  Fact is they hired better assistant coaches than the other guys, which may have come down to Ralph's absence from the team at that point.

Rex gets a lot of flack, mainly because he is verbose and opens himself up to it, but those teams were competitive and had the best offenses any coach fielded during the drought.  His defenses also weren't as bad as people want to portray, but when you say you'll be #1 you better be #1.   His lack of discipline led to his downfall but in reality his teams were better than the other coaches listed here. 

On the other side of the coin Gailey tends to get a bit more credit than he deserves as his teams were lovable losers who were entertaining to watch.   

Edited by thenorthremembers

Good topic;

Marone, by far the best. Don’t like him fine, but he turned the organization around.  

Gailey: best of the worst. Made the most of his JV wr, secondary and LB  squads. Trent Edwards v Ryan Fitzpatrick... ugh 

Juaron: (7–9 no matter how good/bad the talent) 

Mularkey:  actually had a winning season, although he left town a goat, his resemblance to Kevin Costner makes him look like a leadership figure. So there’s that. 

Greggo: meh

Rex: actually took a good team with a stout defense and totally jacked it up by imposing his  scheme which completely misfit the talent. The whole time in front of the podium he was acting like he was winning rings... what an epic failure

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Gailey

Marrone, obviously.

Gregggo

Cheeseburgers Mularkey

Rex, fully pregnant.

Skeletor

Gailey had the least amount of talent to work with and actually adapted his schemes to his players rather than the opposite... for that he gets the top spot imo.

Except for the defense when he made us go 3-4 after being a 4-3 base. Which lead us to take Troupe etc. I'm also upset we drafted Spiller when had Lynch and Jackson already on the team, we could have used that pick to draft Dez Bryant and done so much better in retrospect.

My rankings:

Marone

Gailey

Williams

Mularkey

Jauron

Ryan

55 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good topic;

Marone, by far the best. Don’t like him fine, but he turned the organization around.  

Gailey: best of the worst. Made the most of his JV wr, secondary and LB  squads. Trent Edwards v Ryan Fitzpatrick... ugh 

Juaron: (7–9 no matter how good/bad the talent) 

Mularkey:  actually had a winning season, although he left town a goat, his resemblance to Kevin Costner makes him look like a leadership figure. So there’s that. 

Greggo: meh

Rex: actually took a good team with a stout defense and totally jacked it up by imposing his  scheme which completely misfit the talent. The whole time in front of the podium he was acting like he was winning rings... what an epic failure

I agree with this

Uggh, this is rough

Marrone: Actually left with a winning season. If he had been willing to change offense, and let Schwartz have the defense I wouldn't have been shocked if we resembled what the Jags are now.

Gailey: Got what he could get out of a sub-par QB. I wonder what he could have done with Shady and Tyrod.

Mularky: Meh

Greggo: Meh

Jauron: Lower Meh

Rex: It's hard, because I was thrilled when he got here. I still enjoy his personality. But man, the defense backslid hard and he bears a lot for that. Tie in that he had one of the most talented rosters in years, and still couldn't do it, I think he is deserving of the bottom of the pile.

20 minutes ago, MDH said:

Technically, Wade Phillips should be included on this list. His last season as HC was the first season of "the drought." So he kicked things off.

Wade would be #1.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Rank 'em. 

• REX RYAN, 2015-2016
  • DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05

(Not including interim coaches Lynn and Fewell)

Marrone

Mularkey

Gregg Williams

Rex Ryan

Dick Jauron

Chan Gailey

Gotta go w/ 1. Chan, 2. Marrone (boring however, he was trending up) and 3. (ugh, unfortunately) Mularky. Although if I had to not vote for 3-6, I could do that without remorse also. Mularky showed promise and actually led us to a 9-7 record but he was a patsy for Donahue and the roster could never recover. In regard to the foot soldier: Rex, he brought some recognition with him and followed suit by falling flat on his fat face and somehow utterly ruining a defense. Gregg was meh and Dick Jauron was by far the worst... We NEEDED a HC badly at the time, in particular we were looking for more of a big time name. Instead we chose Chicago cast-off DJ... to make matters worse we extended him when we all knew the experiment was over...

I think a lot of people are a bit high on Chan because he was likeable. Classy guy, nice guy and his team was fun and embodied a kind of underdog spirit. 

I thought that watching the Fred Jackson roast clips... that team tried and tried and tried and they were fun. If I could have wished any of the drought teams to the post-season it would have been that Gailey squad.... but ultimately as a coach he was also the man who hired Wannatasche and couldn't get that side of the ball sorted out at all. 

Marrone 

Ryan    Mario took a big step down and he lost his safties i wouldn't blame Rex for the defense regressing.  He didn't help or adapt but there were a lot of variables 

Dickie j   the team was hard to watch but he got a lot out of very little talent 

Chan on the hand Chan's teams didn't win much but they were fun 

Mularkey 

WIlliams 

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Rank 'em. 

• REX RYAN, 2015-2016
  • DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05

Just remove Rex completely, he was such a jackass! Then leave list as is. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt

6 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Gailey

Marrone, obviously.

Gregggo

Cheeseburgers Mularkey

Rex, fully pregnant.

Skeletor

This^^^

8 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Rank 'em. 

• REX RYAN, 2015-2016
  • DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05

They might have been 2 of the better ones.(Lynn and Fewell)

Gailey

Marrone

Mularkey

Jauron

Williams

Rex

Really don't think any of them got a fair shake.

God rest his soul Mr. Wilson may have been the biggest issue.

8 hours ago, BBills88 said:

CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12

DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14

MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05

GREGG WILLIAMS, 2001-03

DICK JAURON, 2006-09

REX RYAN, 2015-2016

I personally would flip Jauron and Rex but this is great