Ranking Drought Coaches

Gailey

Marrone

Mularkey

Jauron

Williams

Rex

Perosnally though, I think the Dick Jauron era of Bills football was the least enjoyable Bills football of all.  I really hated him as a coach. Rex was the worst coach, but at least there was some entertainment value in watching them. 

Edited by Buftex

4 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Marrone 

Ryan    Mario took a big step down and he lost his safties i wouldn't blame Rex for the defense regressing.  He didn't help or adapt but there were a lot of variables 

Dickie j   the team was hard to watch but he got a lot out of very little talent 

Chan on the hand Chan's teams didn't win much but they were fun 

Mularkey 

WIlliams 

"wouldn't blame Rex for the defense regressing"??!  You gotta be kidding.  Not only did he change the scheme of a very good defense, he installed a complicated scheme which players had difficulty understanding and caused them to have to think too much on the field instead of just reacting.  Remember the 200 yard games  by opponents?  

His game day performances looked like he was a rookie coach. 

Remember the failure to challenge a play in KC "because they didn't show the replay on the board"?

Rex was a buffoon and to me belongs way down at the bottom of this list.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Marrone... barely above Chan.

Chan

Mularkey

Jauron

Williams

Ryan

Rex Ryan, to me, falls to the bottom of the list even though his results were better than Williams. He acted like a buffoon, allegedly did not put in the effort required, and hired his brother who had just run the worst D in the league and promptly ruijned ours. 

Everyone else on this list gets credit for trying. It is hard to say whether Mularkey was above Chan, it is possible.

7 hours ago, MDH said:

Technically, Wade Phillips should be included on this list. His last season as HC was the first season of "the drought." So he kicked things off.

No. The list onlty inlcdes coaches who never made the playoffs with the Bills during their drought.

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

WADE PHILLIPS #1 BY FAR, AND IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE FOR 2ND!

And he isn't included since he is so good that he led the Bills to a playoff spot.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

post-Bills Gregg became quite the dude, while here he seemed like all the other zombies.

Post-Bills Williams became a cheater. SMH.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good topic;

Actually, bad topic. Why does everyone here focus on the negative, even thought the drought is over?? Posts about best coaches during the drought years, posts about the all-drought team, etc.

People, you need to buy into the culture and mindset that McD has set, not dwell on the negative. Stop it. Just like on the other Bills message board, Billievers, people kept on bringing up abuses by the BBMB former moderators, who started posting there. The moderator of that board put that to an end, and said stop focussing on the past. It's a fresh start.

Edited by mileena

9 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Jauron

(Terrible talent level on those teams.  Did their best to wring blood from a stone)

Schobel, Kelsay, Kyle, Takeo, London, Jairus, Evans, Lynch, Moorman, Peters, and McGee all beg to differ with you.

7 minutes ago, mileena said:

Actually, bad topic. Why does everyone here focus on the negative, even thought the drought is over?? Posts about best coaches during the drought years, posts about the all-drought team, etc.

People, you need to buy into the culture and mindset that McD has set, not dwell on the negative. Stop it. Just like on the other Bills message board, Billievers, people kept on bringing up abuses by the BBMB former moderators, who started posting there. The moderator of that board put that to an end, and said stop focussing on the past. It's a fresh start.

I think the implication in a thread like this is that things are much better now, so we can laugh about how bad they were before.  At least that's the way I take it.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a lot of people are a bit high on Chan because he was likeable. Classy guy, nice guy and his team was fun and embodied a kind of underdog spirit. 

I thought that watching the Fred Jackson roast clips... that team tried and tried and tried and they were fun. If I could have wished any of the drought teams to the post-season it would have been that Gailey squad.... but ultimately as a coach he was also the man who hired Wannatasche and couldn't get that side of the ball sorted out at all. 

I could not agree more. Though I think Marrone was a better coach, I had the most fun watching those Gailey teams. Your remark on how they embodied the "underdog spirit" is exactly it. Made them fun to root for (and Chans offense fun to watch) with cast-off tiny no arm QB, 7th round reciever, and a D3 RB. 

Stevie, Freddy, Fitz, and Chan individually rank among my favorites of the enire drought as well.

29 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Anyone care to rank them against Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough?

All I remember of the Bullough days, since it was prior to NFL Ticket, was seeing the halftime scores with the Bills up 14-0, 17-0, 21-0, etc. and later see final scores 14-20, 17-21, 21-24.  Obviously he didn't think he needed halftime adjustments with those leads but wasn't able to in-game adjust when losing the lead.  A record of 4-17 was pretty bad.

Of course there was also the malaprops.   My favorite was "they took the sail out of our winds"

I can't believe Chan is getting so much love. I guess his memory has aged well? He was perpetually 6-10, and if I recall, generally hated around here when he was the coach. 

However, the offence was fun to watch sometimes. That sceeen pass play to CJ Spiller was awesome. Fitz airing it out.. he had moments too.

Don't miss those days tho, not by a mile. 

1 hour ago, mileena said:

No. The list onlty inlcdes coaches who never made the playoffs with the Bills during their drought.

And he isn't included since he is so good that he led the Bills to a playoff spot.

Post-Bills Williams became a cheater. SMH.

By that logic, the Bills drought was only 16 years, not 17.  You have to include Wade because he was the coach in year 1 of the drought.

16 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Rank 'em. 

• REX RYAN, 2015-2016
  • DOUG MARRONE, 2013-14
  • CHAN GAILEY, 2010-12
  • DICK JAURON, 2006-09
  • MIKE MULARKEY, 2004-05
  • GREGG WILLIAMS, 2001-03

(Not including interim coaches Lynn and Fewell)

I haven't had to pick from such a depressing lineup since November 8th 2016

6 hours ago, mileena said:

I would say the reason for the drought posts are simply because it's the off season and for 17 out of the last 18 years we have been in a drought. More content to post about simply due to the time we were mired in the drought.

6 hours ago, Idandria said:

I can't believe Chan is getting so much love. I guess his memory has aged well? He was perpetually 6-10, and if I recall, generally hated around here when he was the coach. 

However, the offence was fun to watch sometimes. That sceeen pass play to CJ Spiller was awesome. Fitz airing it out.. he had moments too.

Don't miss those days tho, not by a mile. 

Less of a function of chan, and more a function of the others on this list... if McDermott goes 0-16 the next 3 seasons he still comes out #1 on this list. 

Edited by JimBob2232