Anybody else have faith in AJ Mccarron?

Rebel101

AJ is a sure fire leader and very talented passer.  He also has a very high football IQ.  I watched literally every one of his games at Bama vs P5 opponents, start to finish while he was there, and I can tell you he just has it. No one, and I mean NO ONE, was going to get the chance to play ahead of Dalton in Cindy after those idiots overpaid him like they did.  I urge you guys to be positive and excited for AJ.  He has been waiting and preparing for this opportunity for a long time.  

Not enough offensive weapons to start Allen.  AJ was brought in as a 1-2 year bridge.  Now if we added more offensive weapons, there would be more pressure to start Allen early.  This is AJ's year to show what he's got.  I don't have faith, but that's based on limited body of work.  I am, however, willing to see what he's got.

8 minutes ago, jr1 said:

there will be big pressure to start Josh because of his draft position 

No there won't.  AJ will be the starter, especially behind our current O line.  They are not going to throw Allen to the wolves this season. He'll handle clipboard duty.

I believe camp will be very competitive. AJ is smart and will want to seize his opportunity to be starter with his experience and I like his winner mentality. Josh is going to grow (hopefully), maybe he will learn fro AJ's success. That would be ideal for this club. I think AJ can be successful. It'd be a nice problem to have, 2 starter worthy QB's.

I don't have a lot of confidence in AJ BUT I definitely think he'll start the season.  Now that I've thought about the picture here.  What I see is a team that is going to run the ball on offense and protect it from being turned over, play tough defense and hang around in games.  You do that with a vet, not a rookie.  But if/when we are completely out of it that's when you'll see Allen.  So, later in the season, like weeks 10 forward are possibles if we are out of it.  I think the goal now that we have Allen is to bring him along slowly and build a playoff caliber roster around him.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's going to be tough sledding for him with this young o-line with the departures of Glenn, Incognito, and Wood.  I see him as a very similar player to Trent Edwards.

Are you referring to AJ or Allen?  No way they start Allen this year behind our o-line.  With what we invested in this kid, barring some kind of miracle in our o-line play, he will not play this season.  Starter possibly in 2019 or 2020.

I have faith that AJ is motivated to be a starter. I can only hope that he will be successful. I am very skeptical about his chances to be successful. I wouldn't say my skepticism is completely because of him. 

My concern is that we don't have a foundation on offense. The offensive system in in a state of flux. It doesn't give me much confidence about Daboll having much to build upon. 

I don't think trading away Tyrod and firing Dennison was a fix all. It only left opportunity for others to come in and try to do better but that doesn't guarantee anything in my mind. 

I don't want to sound negative but I am skeptical about the offense being stellar out of the gate. I think there will be a struggle while everything solidifies and gels together. I'm just hoping that happens down the stretch. 

My expectations are low but one thing I'm confident of is that the Bills will have a dominant defense so maybe they can win games in the fashion they did last season.

No I don't think AJ comes in and racks up stats and puts 21+ points on the board frequently. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Are you referring to AJ or Allen?  No way they start Allen this year behind our o-line.  With what we invested in this kid, barring some kind of miracle in our o-line play, he will not play this season.  Starter possibly in 2019 or 2020.

AJ.  He reminds me of Trent Edwards.  Similar build.  Accurate, efficient, but lacks arm strength.

3 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

McCarron will be better than people here think he will. Allen is going to have to make some leaps and bounds to be better than AJ. But I think any time you draft a qb first round the management is under extreme pressure to prove that the pick was a correct one and play that qb asap. Even if its a detriment to the team.

McCarron was brought here for the purpose of being the initial starter, then the backup when the pick ( Allen) is ready. Any pressure though is self imposed. If you draft a QB high, it's because you think he can eventually be a franchise type guy. You have the player for 5 years if you pick up the option. However , you probably want to find out about that player sooner than later. If the veteran McCarron is playing well and the team is winning, there isn't much need to play the rookie. If not, you may as well find out what the kid can do. They won't play him if they feel it's to the detriment of the team. Only if they feel it's best for the team. That means if they aren't winning football games with the vet. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

AJ.  He reminds me of Trent Edwards.  Similar build.  Accurate, efficient, but lacks arm strength.

Maybe, but let's compare stats Doc:

Trent Edwards  

COMP    ATT    PCT    YDS   TDS    INT

487         865    56.3    5429   36     33

AJ McCarron

COMP    ATT   PCT    YDS    TDS   INT

686         1026  66.9   9019    77    15

Granted that AJ had a much better talent pool and played in a pro-set but regardless, I might give him the benefit of the doubt until we are proven wrong.

1 minute ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Maybe, but let's compare stats Doc:

Trent Edwards  

COMP    ATT    PCT    YDS   TDS    INT

487         865    56.3    5429   36     33

AJ McCarron

COMP    ATT   PCT    YDS    TDS   INT

686         1026  66.9   9019    77    15

Granted that AJ had a much better talent pool and played in a pro-set but regardless, I might give him the benefit of the doubt until we are proven wrong.

Stanford is a lot different than Alabama, but I see your point.  Trent Edwards was a very good player until that concussion so I didn't mean it as an insult to AJ.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Stanford is a lot different than Alabama, but I see your point.  Trent Edwards was a very good player until that concussion so I didn't mean it as an insult to AJ.

Not at all.  Two different programs completely and I do not disagree with what you are saying.  I hope AJ pans out with us.  With him sitting behind Dalton, he has really not had an opportunity to show what he has that's all.  

1 hour ago, major said:

I do. AJ comes from bama and is used to winning (let's just hope cincy didn't screw with his mind). Plus, we have a bama OC. I see AJ being better than Allen

Lots of guys from bama don’t win at this level 

I’m an AJ fan and sideline Bills fan. It’s a great blue collar city and I’ve spent quite a bit of time there for work. A weekly duffs fan. 

I honestly didnt want AJ to come to Buffalo. The Oline is not great and has gotten bad after trades/retirements. New offensive coordinator. WR coach for a QB coach. Fan base is burned out on poor QB play and was screaming to trade up into one of these unknowns in the draft. It looks like a recipe for disaster and I hope he doesn’t get killed this year. Even if the OL works out it’s going to take a while to gel with all the pieces and new playbook.

I was hoping they would draft more OL and WR/TE talent but gave away all the 2nd round to move up. I understand the needs and don’t blame them. I guarantee zona would have moved up and grabbed Allen and Miami would have taken Rosen. On top of that they drafted someone who twittered about AJs old lady. You just can’t make that stuff up!

AJ has better arm strength than given credit. He was injured at bama and it was overworked before his draft. People thought his arm was toast. He’s spent 4 years getting it zipper tight and I wouldn’t be concerned over his ability to thread. He brings leadership and intangibles that you can’t coach. He shows up early and works hard. Guys will respect him and give extra for him. He’s a poor mans Brady. You can just tell he’s different. Did you see how he dressed and talked at pressers? He’s professional.

AJs best case scenario is to play well and get out of dodge after a year or two still intact.

I have my Sunday ticket wrapped up, my bills 10 jersey and I’m ready to roll.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

His record with Alabama was the stuff of legend.  I just don't know about a guy that could not beat out a ginger.  

Granted it was Cincy.  Nothing is right in Cincy.  Just look at that excuse for chili.

He wasn't even given a chance to beat out Dalton...it was Daltons team Mccarron could have performed better it wouldn't have changed anything...that is why the Bengals cant get over the hump because Marvin Lewis made the decision and every season it wasn't an open QB competition Dalton was named the starter from jump

AJ is screwed. If he’s good, he’ll be the guy who’s delaying the rise of Allen. If he’s bad he’ll have his head on a stick. With those two alternatives I’m going to rooting BIG TIME for him! I love it when people step up and perform in those lose lose situations. Come on AJ!!

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

The majority of people that even want to see McCarron on the field are the babies that are going to be salty that the Bills disagree with their obsession with Josh Rosen. I can already see the idiots are going to do their typical Bills fan campaign for the late round Never Will at the expedience of dividing a fanbase and ruining talk radio because it's the only thing that they've ever known to do as a Buffalo Bills fan for the last 20 years.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A lot of QBs lack arm strength he can still make all the throws required by an NFL QB he just cant launch the ball downthe field and Trent Edwards was winning us games before he got smacked n played scared until he was no longer our starter

32 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

The majority of people that even want to see McCarron on the field are the babies that are going to be salty that the Bills disagree with their obsession with Josh Rosen. I can already see the idiots are going to do their typical Bills fan campaign for the late round Never Will at the expedience of dividing a fanbase and ruining talk radio because it's the only thing that they've ever known to do as a Buffalo Bills fan for the last 20 years.

I dont think so I believe Mccarron has been in the NFL long enough to develop and understand how things operate and what it is he has to do to perform as a QB in the NFL and he is all we have until Allen is ready. I dont want Allen even touching the field unless it is a blow out...We have invested a lot into the kid we shouldn't throw him to the wolves he isn't ready to command an NFL offense and I think we should go all in on our investment of Allen and get him a great QB coach to develop him because Culley isn't that and we dont even have a proven OLine so we need AJ to play well and he doesnt even have to be great he just has to capitalize on our defense make a few plays and not turn it over...if we can get that out of AJ for a year or 2 until Allen is ready then we will be in great shape

Edited by Rebel101

33 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

So im guessing you want Allen to be the day 1 starter?

53 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Yes. I have faith that he can be a really solid backup. 

Allen is not our day 1 starter n he wasn't drafted because who is he was drafted because who he can be so you better hope AJ plays pretty good

14 hours ago, Carter said:

Here we go. 

Lets all all fall in love with a career backup hold him up on a pedestal and inflate expectations only to be disappointed.  Rinse and repeat every 3 years. 

The cycle provides slight entertainment to those that go from home to work to home to work to home boring people. 

Wasn’t t Jimmy G a career backup? 

Some people make me laugh, had the Bills traded for him you’d be singing a different tune just like the fans that said trade up and get a QB...what they meant was trade up and get a QB the fan wanted. 

How long did Rodgers sit before starting? Wouldn’t he have been a career backup? 

AJ was behind a “franchise” guy. What have any of the rookie QBs done that AJ hasn’t? 

If the Bills traded or signed the QB you wanted you’d have a different post and others would have your opinion. Same with the draft. 

15 hours ago, snafu said:

I don't, but I also don't want to see Allen start until late in the season.

This. We’re taking one in the shorts this season to build for the future.  It needs to be done.  McCarron wasn’t even close to McBean’s first choice as a bridge QB so I’m not expecting much.  

He'll take more chances than Tyrod ever did. I think it'll be an interesting competition this offseason between AJ and Peterman. I wouldn't play Josh Allen at all unless it was absolutely necessary or injuries came up. he's got to sit for a year hold a clipboard and learn the game.