What are your most valued traits in a QB???

Rebel101

On 4/29/2018 at 1:54 AM, Rebel101 said:

Arm strength, pocket awareness, timing, decision making, ability to run, accuracy, leadership, release speed? What is it you think is the most important qualities of a franchise QB?

I think these things are all very important but the most important to me is something that cant be measured instincts . Instincts being able to know when & where & how in a split second . 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

On 4/28/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rebel101 said:

Arm strength, pocket awareness, timing, decision making, ability to run, accuracy, leadership, release speed? What is it you think is the most important qualities of a franchise QB?

Decision making, accuracy, makes plays when the play breaks down, 3rd down conversion rate.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:15 AM, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Hand size 

fast eyes

I want them to work harder than the guys next to him, film study - extra reps - weight room etc.

I want him to have that moxie and swagger that is just infectious... you're never out of a game with this guy.

I don't want there to be any inherent weaknesses to his game.  It makes you so much harder to gameplan for when you can do a little bit of everything.

A QB can have a ton of positive traits, but it's still a team game.  If the Oline isn't good, the vast majority of QB's will struggle.  If the WR corps is hurt/hobbled, it hurts the QB.  Same goes for the RB group.  If the OC's scheme doesn't incorporate accentuating the QB's strengths, the QB struggles.  This has been the Bills the last few years.

By drafting Allen, McD and Beane are embarking on building THEIR team.  Is Allen a risk?  Of course he is as most first round QB's are every year.  I give credit to Beane for shoring up other areas of the team, namely the Oline and LB's.  It'll be interesting how they handle Allen this year.  Does he start?  Or will they bring him along slower?  The likely bet, of course, is  that he starts for two reasons 1) he was a first rounder and 2) who else do they have?

God help Allen though if he struggles (and he will to a certain extent).  This board will have a melt down of epic proportions calling for McD and Beane to be fired before Christmas.

Edited by Bills757

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Rebel101 said:

All of these.  With regard to decision making, I'll specify:  when to run, when to slide, when to get out of bounds and when to throw the  ball away.

Accuracy which encompasses both Timing,  decision making.

to me that the MOST important. Other traits are very needed but if I am choosing one its Accuracy

17 hours ago, mead107 said:

Drew Brees has all sorts of yards.   

Idont care about the yards I want wins.   

5,000 yards mean nothing if you can’t throw the winning TD.  

Win baby. 19-0 Baby 

Which he also has? Are you trying to say he's not an all-time elite QB?

On 4/29/2018 at 1:46 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

1. Accuracy

2. Leadership

3. Smart able to read Defense

Size & strength are highly overrated 

...sure are....need to have a kid that makes the passing game a viable threat every week....how the hell do you game plan if it is a limp noodle?.....opposition having eight in the box with folding chairs is a feared passing game?......Daboll needs the flexibility of 60/40 or 40/60 depending on what the defense gives him...sure as hell would be nice if down by 7, 2:28 to go in the 4th, that I can depend on the guy executing the two minute drill to tie this bad boy up......sure the TBD pundits say the WR corp sucks, but they were regularly INACTIVE on Sundays.....growin' mold I think....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FappyTheClown said:

Harvard alumni and high Wonderlic score.

With awesome beard, plays with his wedding ring on, and has great neighborhood parties. 

Also, accurate, strong arm, doesn’t throw red zone interceptions when the game is close and time is running out.

1.  Decision making.... grew tired of watching receivers running free only to see a dump off.

2.  Accuracy.... grew tired of seeing an open guy only to see the ball go over his head.

3.  Leadership.... want a guy like Kelly or Brady that teams rally around, both on offense and defense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rebel101 said:

Must have the nickname "Cornfed" ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

Accuracy and ball placement, a quick release that doesn't allow defenders any time to read body cues and make a play on the ball, ability to read/react/adjust to what defenses are showing/doing, trusting your teammates and giving them a chance to make a play (something I feel Taylor didn't do enough of), confidence to attempt difficult throws, pocket movement and keeping your eyes up to see if a receiver comes open on a play where you have to improvise. 

Size, arm talent, big time stats, etc. that type of stuff, to me, is held in too high of a regard. Having the prototypical size is nice but I don't think it directly correlates with success. Arm talent is a bonus. And I read arm talent as more than just strength and the ability to put it on a rope. Arm talent involves the capability of knowing how much air to put under a deep pass, how much touch to use on a fade, knowing when you need to really zip it to a spot on the field, knowing how to throw guys open, etc. Mechanics and footwork, I feel, are also things that have too much emphasis placed on them. Peyton Manning never had the best looking footwork, he'd be tap dancin' in the pocket on most plays but his ungodly work ethic, preparation and knowledge more than made up for shoddy footwork. If I'm a coach or GM and my QB has a weird throwing motion on top of choppy/awkward dropbacks but he's able to pick apart defenses and hit his targets on time, etc. then I couldn't care less in how he looks in getting the job done. I care about the end result and if the end result is success and wins, have a funky throwing motion and dropback all you want. 

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

All of these.  With regard to decision making, I'll specify:  when to run, when to slide, when to get out of bounds and when to throw the  ball away.

Ah, the Gambler philosophy.  'Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.'

What do I look for in QB?

Strong like bull.

Smart like refrigerator.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Editing the merge

The more I think about it the more I like this pick. Accuracy can be improved but what can't be improved is throwing the football in Buffalo weather conditions. I think Allen might be the perfect match for the crazy weather conditions in Buffalo and gives us a huge home field advantage. I bet Allen has close to the same success at home as Jim Kelly did.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

giving them a chance to make a play (something I feel Taylor didn't do enough of),

Did you see who he was throwing to? He would have been handing out interceptions every time he threw 50/50 to deonte Thompson matched up with Malcom butler.

He gave Sammy chances to make a play.

I'll just edit your statement I want a quarterback that trusts his trustworthy receivers. I'm not throwing jump balls to a PS WR.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Did you see who he was throwing to? He would have been handing out interceptions every time he threw 50/50 to deonte Thompson matched up with Malcom butler.

He gave Sammy chances to make a play.

I'll just edit your statement I want a quarterback that trusts his trustworthy receivers. I'm not throwing jump balls to a PS WR.

I didn't say Taylor needed to be throwing jump balls or 50/50 prayers. Far too many times he would wind up like he was ready to throw but then he'd pull it down and start running around. While he was exciting to watch on plays where he miraculously avoided pressure and a sack, there were an equal number of plays where he simply held onto the ball too long and wound up taking a sack. Those types of plays are where he needed to trust his receivers and at least give them a chance to make a play. You're never going to know if your guy can make something happen if you never give him the chance.

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

I didn't say Taylor needed to be throwing jump balls or 50/50 prayers. Far too many times he would wind up like he was ready to throw but then he'd pull it down and start running around. While he was exciting to watch on plays where he miraculously avoided pressure and a sack, there were an equal number of plays where he simply held onto the ball too long and wound up taking a sack. Those types of plays are where he needed to trust his receivers and at least give them a chance to make a play. You're never going to know if your guy can make something happen if you never give him the chance.

I mean sure, good point. But you know he had to be trying this out in practice and watch Tre White embarrass him. Or he simply trusted his feet over throwing a difficult pass. He was never very accurate. 

Just saying if we had alshon Jeffrey maybe tyrod tosses it up when he's in trouble. Chances are Jeffrey catches it. Hopefully Josh allen trusts KB, and if he can't then he's in big trouble.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:40 AM, Gugny said:

Well cmon you're not saying you want a quarterback that has literally every tangible and intangible BUT decision making in his passes to receivers. Cause that qb would suck

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

sure the TBD pundits say the WR corp sucks, but they were regularly INACTIVE on Sundays

So the starting WR corps sucked

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Well cmon you're not saying you want a quarterback that has literally every tangible and intangible BUT decision making in his passes to receivers. Cause that qb would suck

So the starting WR corps sucked

I'm struggling to see how you interpreted what I wrote this way.