If the Bills TRADE UP for Josh Allen...

JaCrispy

I have accepted that any of the big 5 prospects could be our new starting QB in 8 days. 

They all have their pros and cons. I can see the appeal of Allen, but also why others are sour on him. 

We'll all buy their jersey when they toss 3 TDs on the road in New England, I'm sure we'll get over it. :D

I totally disagree with the overall vibe of the forum in regards to Josh Allen. 

I personally would be pumped to add Josh Allen. Yes he is a little risky, but the dude has one in a generation tools/athletism for the position. He clearly needs to be coached up but there are soo many things going in the positive direction in my opinion. He would fit the Buffalo market perfectly (big strong hardworking blue collar farmer kid) and he also would be going into an ideal situation with AJ McCarron in the driver seat to start this year. Give him a year.... maybe even 1.5 years to sit and learn, get comfortable, adapt to the NFL game. It could pay off 10x over. 

If i am gambling (which ever draft pick is to some extent) I want to gamble on a kid with the height, weight, skill set, and good mental makeup. Go big or Go home.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

No, because it's because they think he's the guy.

they thought EJ was too.  he was the first QB taken in that draft.  he was also a big, tall, athletic, strong arm, project QB

what is going to drive me bonkers is that Josh Rosen is clearly the best QB in this draft and we would not only be passing on him but we would be giving up all of those picks to do it

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

they thought EJ was too.  he was the first QB taken in that draft.  he was also a big, tall, athletic, strong arm, project QB

what is going to drive me bonkers is that Josh Rosen is clearly the best QB in this draft and we would not only be passing on him but we would be giving up all of those picks to do it

Different “they”

I don’t prefer him either but I don’t think I would feel “bad”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

And the only reason they had to do that was because they MISSED on QB in previous years. The situations are not at all alike.

Well I would be very sad but I will get behind the pick, but hope would only come after he shows command of the position at the NFL level.. So in other words the off-season just got longer

My stomach would churn if they did this. I suppose it would depend where they moved up to, who else was on the board etc. A move up to #2 to select Allen might induce nausea. A move up to 7? Not as much. Either way, I'd have to just roll with it and think that they believe in the guy. Of the top 4, I'd feel the least confident about Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen is the new Blaine Gabbert. I remember how so many experts had him ranked high but fans hated the way he played. 

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Huge difference with EJ is they traded down. You don't trade down to the mid-late 1st to draft your franchise QB. 

Just now, joesixpack said:

And the only reason they had to do that was because they MISSED on QB in previous years. The situations are not at all alike.

exactly the same.  we needed a QB, had a veteran that didn't work out, had to get one in the draft.  overpaid just like we will this year if we get Allen.  "but wait, we traded back how did we overpay for EJ?"  because he was taken in the 1st round when many had him as a 3rd round prospect.  reaching would be 2nd round.  complete desperation was taking him in the 1st.

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

...will you feel as bad as you did, or worse than you did, when the team drafted EJ?

Just trying to get the temperature of the fan base...now remember, the term “trading up” is emphasized.

None of the above. I will be excited because it will mean that we identified him as our potential franchise QB and we did what we had to to go and get him. 

Josh Allen with all his faults is still light years better than EJ was. 

He is not my top choice as I don't feel he is ready to start day one which is what we need.  He also needs to improve a lot in his game which these days simply doesn't happen very often when these kids are asked to start right away.  We do not have the luxury of sitting him for 2-3 years. 

However he does show flashes of doing this very very well, just inconsistently.  I feel much better about him as a prospect than other who also need work. 

exactly the same.  we needed a QB, had a veteran that didn't work out, had to get one in the draft.  overpaid just like we will this year if we get Allen.  "but wait, we traded back how did we overpay for EJ?"  because he was taken in the 1st round when many had him as a 3rd round prospect.  reaching would be 2nd round.  complete desperation was taking him in the 1st.

I'm not convinced Nix/Whaley thought EJ was THE guy.

know that I mean?

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Huge difference with EJ is they traded down. You don't trade down to the mid-late 1st to draft your franchise QB. 

you do when he's a 3rd round talent and there's no good QB's in the draft.  Josh Allen is better but he's not a top 5 pick, too much of a project.  if you tell me that we take him between picks 7-12 because the other top 4 guys are gone then fine.  there's no way he's worth trading up to 1 or 2 to take.  there are better QB's

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Not sure how anyone could feel worse than EJ.  It was painfully obvious when he was at FSU that EJ wasn't a pro QB.   Even the FSU fans here said so.

I guess because, in the case with Allen, we would be giving up additional draft capital instead of trading back...just wondering if that aspect might influence people more negatively because of the particular prospect.

My initial reaction will feel like a gut punch. Not going to lie. It's not even that I don't like Allen, it's that my opinion is we aren't set up to help him reach his full potential. The extra draft picks involved would not help matters.

At least with EJ there was a trade back and gaining capital with that pick. 

By the end of the weekend though I will have fully and completely talked myself into Allen as a great pick as the Bills finally getting the guy they want over the guy that's left.

15 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

...will you feel as bad as you did, or worse than you did, when the team drafted EJ?

Just trying to get the temperature of the fan base...now remember, the term “trading up” is emphasized.

This would make me extremely happy happy happy!

The Allen part wouldn't bother me, the trade up would. I want to win in 2018. We need our picks! (ILB, OT, C, OG, CB, WR). Honestly, I'd be fine with any of the top-8 QBs as long as we can get 5 day 1 starters in rounds 1, 2, 3. A golden boy QB likely won't even play (much) in 2018.

It took long enough but I am finally at peace with this draft season and, in particular, the whole quarterback thing. Whether they trade up or not, whether they get one of the “top four” I will sit back and enjoy the ride. 

My personal favorite is Darnold. There is something about him, when all is said and done, that makes me see a “franchise quarterback”. However, even if they get Mayfield, who I like a lot less than many other posters here, I will be happy. On the other hand, I’m not so sure how I would feel if they end up with either Jackson or Rudolf. But I suppose I would just get used to it and go with that flow, too.

I'd feel better than I did when we drafted JP Losman but not as good as I did when we drafted Trent Edwards. I'd feel nearly as bad as I did when we drafted Rob Johnson in the supplemental but I'd feel a smidge better than I did when we took Todd Collins. I certainly wouldn't be as depressed as I was when we signed Ryan Fitzpatrick but I also wouldn't be nearly as elated as I was when we released Fitzpatrick. And don't even get me started on Vince Ferragamo, Kelly Holcomb and Billy Jo Hobert. My faves all time have to be the couple of guys named Matt, yes, I'm talking about Matt Cassel and Matt Leinart.  So all in all, I'd have to say...erhm, what was the question?

• Haha (+1) 1

We all have druthers. Personally darnold/rosen are my A list, Allen/mayfield B list so my only disappointment is it wasn't my top group but if he is who they like then giddy up and let's go. At the very least it'll be fun to look forward to his potential and trying to grow into it!

19 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I won't be happy, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they did their due diligence.  At least trading up will show they believe he really could be "The Man".  I think it's a bad sign when a team in need of a starting QB trades down for him.

I guess that means I won't feel as bad as I did when they drafted EJ, but at that time I really didn't feel much of an emotional reaction.  At that point I was just beyond frustrated at the neglect and mismanagement of the QB position, and it was clear they had passed up a QB draft with deep talent in favor of a subsequent shallow pool.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

And that is my point of asking the question the way that I did...people may feel differently about it if we just stayed at 12 and took Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

No, it is not.

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

you do when he's a 3rd round talent and there's no good QB's in the draft.  Josh Allen is better but he's not a top 5 pick, too much of a project.  if you tell me that we take him between picks 7-12 because the other top 4 guys are gone then fine.  there's no way he's worth trading up to 1 or 2 to take.  there are better QB's

I agree somewhat. I wouldn't trade up for Allen at all.

Allen is a fine developmental QB. I think there is a major difference between a franchise QB prospect and a developmental QB. I'm fine with drafting Allen in the 1st round, just not at the cost of a franchise QB. If we move up to the top 5 that QB is is handed the keys. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts