If the Bills TRADE UP for Josh Allen...

JaCrispy

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

We all have druthers. Personally darnold/rosen are my A list, Allen/mayfield B list so my only disappointment is it wasn't my top group but if he is who they like then giddy up and let's go. At the very least it'll be fun to look forward to his potential and trying to grow into it!

Same here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t feel any differently if they stayed at 12

I would, I think.  I see Allen as a high-ceiling developmental prospect, the sort of guy you take at the top of the second (which becomes mid-to-low 1st with QB inflation).

So taking him just above the mid-1st isn't as terrible a reach.

I’d be a bit sad if we traded both 1sts a 1st next year and other 18 picks for him but I’d be on board that they identified him as the guy and would instantly become a Josh Allen fanboy by Friday morning.  He is one of the most physically talented QBs in history 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I agree.

Allen is a fine developmental QB. I think there is a major difference between a franchise QB prospect and a developmental QB. I'm fine with drafting Allen in the 1st round, just not at the cost of a franchise QB. If we move up to the top 5 that QB is is handed the keys. 

That's how I feel too. Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are one class to me. Allen and Jackson another, they are projects. No trade up.

Edited by horned dogs

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Not sure how anyone could feel worse than EJ.  It was painfully obvious when he was at FSU that EJ wasn't a pro QB.   Even the FSU fans here said so.

Well, he did emphasize trade up, and EJ was a trade down where we got a DROY candidate who was then traded for our current best player. When EJ was drafted, personally I was ok with it, because they were aiming for a QB and he was about as good as any that year, and still could almost be argued (by default...what an awful year for QBs...for Geno's 9 more TDs, he had 20 more interceptions, Glennon's the "class" of the class, I guess, and that is SAD).

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

compelling argument.  thanks for your input

He's right though.  The Bills needed a franchise QB and TRADED DOWN for Manuel because they didn't think he was worth a top-ten pick. 

Think about that for a second.

It's totally different than trading assets to move UP for your guy.

I trust Beane & McDermott. They are smart, thorough, and have devoted alot of time & energy in making this decision. Just like everyone that's a Bills fan, I want to hear Rosen or Mayfield's name called the most, but if not, I'll trust & also be excited about our decision. 

Also,  IMHO, in 5 years, Josh Allen has just as good a shot as Mayfield or Rosen at being a top passer in the NFL. Mayfield and Rosen are pro ready now, whereas Allen probably needs more time/development. I also think Allen is stronger mentally, and that is a big thing being the face of the franchise moving forward.

It’s also tough to compare to EJ.  That was a guy who might have dropped a round or 2 had we not picked him, and really wasn’t graded as a first rounder by anyone.  

Most have Allen as a top 10 at worst, and more than a few have him as a potential #1.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t feel any differently if they stayed at 12

i would.  if 3 QB's go in the first 5 picks and we can't get up there and the only one left is Allen then I am fine taking him 7-12 and i will hope he pans out.

if they traded all of their picks because he is the one they targeted then i would lose a lot of faith in this front office.  he is a long term project that needs to sit 1-2 years minimum.  good luck with that though.  if we gave up all of those picks to have him sitting on the bench while AJ and Peterman lead us to a 6 win season, the fans will go nuts and demand they play the kid.  playing before you are ready is a good way to lose your confidence and wash out of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I thought my argument was as compelling as yours...

sorry, i actually try and add value and have intelligent discussions with forum members.  if you aren't into that then go troll twitter or something

If they traded up and took Allen when Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield were still there I think I'd feel worse.  We kind of knew 2013 was a shot at a QB in a not great QB draft.  I'd have taken EJ of the guys in play but I didn't think any of them were more than a coin flip.  The difference this time is there are guys I feel really good about up there.  IF we had built the capital, executed the trade up and then picked the guy who I am really not as high on I would be disappointed, no doubt about it.  Probably more disappointed given that context than 2013.

Of course if we draft Allen I will support him and drink the kool aid once I am over the disappointment but he will have work to do to totally win me over to him being "the guy".  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

If they draft him....I fully expect him to be holding a clip board for at least a year ala Mahommes

For some folks, if he can't start year one, he isn't worthy of a top five pick.  I disagree with that criteria and hope we would follow a similar trajectory as that of Mahomes.

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's right though.  The Bills needed a franchise QB and TRADED DOWN for Manuel because they didn't think he was worth a top-ten pick. 

Think about that for a second.

It's totally different than trading assets to move UP for your guy.

they reached for a projected 3rd round guy.  so they overpaid for a project QB because they were in a desperate situation without a franchise QB.  very similar situation

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would, I think.  I see Allen as a high-ceiling developmental prospect, the sort of guy you take at the top of the second (which becomes mid-to-low 1st with QB inflation).

So taking him just above the mid-1st isn't as terrible a reach.

Agree, if we stayed at 12 and the other top guys are gone, I take Allen at 12, but not before.