If the Bills TRADE UP for Josh Allen...

JaCrispy

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

I don't see this as anything like 2013 at all. Allen is a much better prospect than EJ ever dreamed of being. My point is that the upside isn't a likely thing, and you don't trade up for it unless you have too in a year with other strong candidates. Therefore, with 3 other candidates of a higher probability  of success (though perhaps a little lower ceiling), those are the guys you move up for.

I understand your point.  You judge the risk too great when there are good qbs with fewer questions.  I don't disagree with your logic.  The counter is that Bills' evaluators would have to believe Allen's likelihood of reaching his potential strong for their action to be rationally warranted.  If that is the case,  they would accept greater risk (because less than you imagine) for higher payoff.  

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

They are similar situations because the Bills were in a position where they had to take a QB and if they draft Allen they are going for the big strong project QB much like they did with EJ.  Your argument is that they are not the same kind of situation because this is a stronger QB class and that is another reason why I would not be happy with them taking Allen, because there are better, more developed players available.  To me, trading a bunch of picks to get Allen at 1 or 2 is overpaying.  To get to 1 or 2 it's going to take something like 12, 22, 53, 56, 93, next year's 1st.  Much different than getting him at 7-12 and maybe you only give up 12, 53.

To me, the only similarity in the two situations would be if Allen turned out to be a bust. Then they would be similar in that each consisted of a wasted 1st round pick on a QB. Your argument that it would be overpaying is a different one. In that argument, you have to accept, as a foregone conclusion at the outset of the discussion, that Allen is nothing more than a project QB who will be looking for a job in three years, rather than a possible franchise QB. That is merely your opinion. You may be right; however, you have no way of knowing that at this time. Allen would not be my choice either. Yet, he could very well turn out to be the best QB of this draft. The truth is, anyone of the top 5-6 QBs could turn out to be the best of this class and any one of them could turn out to be a bust. Only time will tell. Until then all arguments remain pure speculation and not worth reacting in a hostile or aggressive way when someone disagrees.

I will have confidence that they saw something they really liked in him and were willing to pay to move up to get him.  Now, if Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen are gone and we "settle" for Allen at 12, then I will be a bit more concerned. 

Dissapointed the last two QBs Buffalo went for in the 1st round (JP, EJ) were both physically gifted as heck like Allen but failed greatly with accuracy and precision passing. I really want Rosen/Mayfield because they excelled with that not a guy who only completed 56% of passes. That said my negative vibes would probably thaw out by training camp.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It would feel like a gut punch but I would get over it and eventually I will come around to him.

If both Rosen and Allen are available with our pick, when Goodell states "Josh _______".....I think my heart will stop for that split second.

I want to hear Rosen as the next words out of his mouth.

I've had this dream, and with different outcomes!

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand your point.  You judge the risk too great when there are good qbs with fewer questions.  I don't disagree with your logic.  The counter is that Bills' evaluators would have to believe Allen's likelihood of reaching his potential strong for their action to be rationally warranted.  If that is the case,  they would accept greater risk (because less than you imagine) for higher payoff.  

That doesn't sound like McBeane to me, so it is likely a moot point. I don't think they take a 5 or 6 talent over a 8 or 9 talent for obvious reasons-youd' get fired very quickly. I do think they will take a 8.5, 8.0 maybe 7.5 over an 9.0 if the intangibles (code word) are great enough. Sam Darnold fits that mold to me. Kinda boring, but not very far off talent wise. Personally I think Rosen is worth it and hope that is the direction they go. We shall see, fun stuff! At the end of the day if they tradeup to 1 or 2 for Allen I will feel a bit gutted I'm sure. Like a pillow with no stuffings, and then eventually get over it and support .

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

That doesn't sound like McBeane to me, so it is likely a moot point. I don't think they take a 5 or 6 talent over a 8 or 9 talent for obvious reasons-youd' get fired very quickly. I do think they will take a 8.5, 8.0 maybe 7.5 over an 9.0 if the intangibles (code word) are great enough. Sam Darnold fits that mold to me. Kinda boring, but not very far off talent wise. Personally I think Rosen is worth it and hope that is the direction they go. We shall see, fun stuff! At the end of the day if they tradeup to 1 or 2 for Allen I will feel a bit gutted I'm sure. Like a pillow with no stuffings, and then eventually get over it and support .

I think you only trade up high for Darnold or Allen, imo.  I prefer Darnold, to be clear.  I would much more readily pay the price there.  I have a feeling Rosen may fall a bit.  One of the top four should be available in the 6 - 10 range.  A small trade up for Rosen or Mayfield is more likely and probably more prudent.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

...will you feel as bad as you did, or worse than you did, when the team drafted EJ?

Just trying to get the temperature of the fan base...now remember, the term “trading up” is emphasized.

No.  If they draft him they think he's their guy. They did their work on him.  At that point we shall see.  He ain't my top choice, but that doesn't make it a bad pick.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

...will you feel as bad as you did, or worse than you did, when the team drafted EJ?

Just trying to get the temperature of the fan base...now remember, the term “trading up” is emphasized.

I would feel more than okay with it. 

EJ Manuel was projected to go (by most) late in the 1st round at best. Many had him going in the 2nd or even lower. It was a reach.

Drafting Allen in the Top10 is not a reach.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

From what I saw from the draftbreakdown videos comparing EJ to Allen. 

Id take Allen 10000/10000 times. 

Sure - but the Bills traded DOWN to get EJ at #16 (using the extra pick on the mighty Kiko) .

I will be sick to my stomach if the Bills trade away a fortune (likely what it will take) to get an unproven (bust-possible) commodity like Allen.

30 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

To me, the only similarity in the two situations would be if Allen turned out to be a bust. Then they would be similar in that each consisted of a wasted 1st round pick on a QB. Your argument that it would be overpaying is a different one. In that argument, you have to accept, as a foregone conclusion at the outset of the discussion, that Allen is nothing more than a project QB who will be looking for a job in three years, rather than a possible franchise QB. That is merely your opinion. You may be right; however, you have no way of knowing that at this time. Allen would not be my choice either. Yet, he could very well turn out to be the best QB of this draft. The truth is, anyone of the top 5-6 QBs could turn out to be the best of this class and any one of them could turn out to be a bust. Only time will tell. Until then all arguments remain pure speculation and not worth reacting in a hostile or aggressive way when someone disagrees.

WHICH MAKES TRADING AWAY MULTIPLE PICKS TO GET ANY ONE OF THEM IDIOTIC!

Two facts:

1) Every Bills fan has a top choice of who they would want.

2) Not one of us has a clue of how any of these guys will turn out.

If a Bills fan will sit here and say they won’t support the Bills because of a drafted prospect, then I have to question why they are a Bills fan to begin with.

Josh Allen isn’t my first choice, he’s 3rd on my list to be exact. But if the Bills draft Josh Allen at 8pm Thursday night, by 9pm I’m ordering his jersey.

I'd be totally upset.  Here is why.  

1.  We traded up.   We are basically throwing AJ to the wolves with no team around him.  And I'm not sure how Allen learns in that situation.   

2.  If we get him at 12, I won't be happy, but we still have all our picks and can build around AJ McCarron for the next 2 years while Allen learns.