Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

I gotta say in regards to the Pats report of them offering a contract to mccarron, you gotta think that was to hurt the bills more than help them right? At least that's my suspicion. For some reason they seem to hate the Bills. 

But thank God we have Mccarron. We now have more leverage in trade negotiations 

Well, I can't say that I know a whole ton about McCarron outside the limited snaps I've seen him take for the Bengals, but I can say 1 thing for sure -

I like this a lot more than I would have liked giving up a 1st (+ possibly more) for Nick Foles! Hopefully all that crazy talk about pick #21 for Foles can die now... 

We have a guy who should be able to start opening day next season, and we didn't give up any assets to get him leaving all that draft capital for a (possible trade up for a) QB in round 1. 

And if we we didn't know for sure before, now we know 100% that the Bills are going QB high in the draft (at least IMO). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Peterman has too much potential to cut, whereas Webb has been let go for that versatility multiple times.

Potential to set a new NFL record for picks?

Wait.... He already did that I think.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Yep, I thought if they went with Foles, Bradford, or McCarron that Allen would be a real possibility.

I’m sure part of their pitch to AJ was opportunity to start, which is much less if they pick someone like Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ******* said:

Now this scares me more than anything .  I pray josh Allen is not the pick

I think 90% of Buffalo is right there praying with you... only doofus on WGR that likes him is Murph...figures...everyone else just laughs at the idea of Allen...you can’t fix accuracy- you either have it or you don’t.

Peterman has too much potential to cut, whereas Webb has been let go for that versatility multiple times.

Peterman is dead man walking. And unfortunately for him, barring injury, it's going to be on the eve of the season with no time to really catch on with anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I think McCarron is a great signing and I think he is an amazing back up and even a solid starter IMO

No.  As a starter, he is a dark horse.  As a backup, he did what he was supposed to do when he played - won half his games.

I put this in another thread.  When I did my QB Draft Analysis in Jan, there were two 3-5th round QB "hits" who surprised me (to recap, I used hard numeric criteria linked to winning which didn't change from 1st to 5th round - completion percentage, TD/INT, and YPA).  One was AJ McCarron.  That puts him in a rare category since in 20 years and 31 QB, there were only 2 hits from the 5th round.

So we know he's reasonably accurate (good completion %), reasonably careful with the ball (doesn't throw a lot of picks) and doesn't just check down all the time (good YPA).  What he didn't do was generate a lot of passing offense - 190 ypg on average - and that was in 2015 with a good OL and with AJ Greene and Sanu to throw at.

I am happy about this signing.  They needed someone else in the room and they got him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Could be, I wonder about that tweet (by Sal C maybe, not sure) who said they didn't really go after any other FA qbs. made me wonder if all we did was call once on Sam and go, oh you want how much?...no thanks!!!

Lol. Probably had some early communication, then AZ swooped in late. Especially after Bills jumped them in draft order the day before... the need was great for them

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because he stinks? He's just not starter material. Never has been. He's career backup material, and now that he has a few years under his belt, he's a decent one in a league full of crappy ones.

you're entitled to your opinion, I don't but it at all, but it is yours to share.

thanks for sharing.

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman is dead man walking. And unfortunately for him, barring injury, it's going to be on the eve of the season with no time to really catch on with anyone.

Respectfully disagree...he is still a decent developmental QB on a rookie contract.  That said, we will see.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman
  • Like (+1) 1

NICE ......this new administration really has impressed me so far. It is some real cerebral and current, in the now type of thinking. I am so exited about the young QB they will pick and the future of this team....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (with a Rick Flair effect) :D

Figured he would land here...we are going to have qbs on our team with less than 10 starts.  Lets hope now giants and colts dont give up there picks..cleveland selects there qb at 1 and we give them 12 and 22 to get 4 and pray no other team moves up

Respectfully disagree...he is still a 3rd round developmental QB on a rookie contrat.  That said, we will see.

They will only keep two QBs on the roster, especially with Joe Webb. There is less than zero reason to keep three young guys when you like the two other young guys a lot more. He's gone.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, flomoe said:

Did we win the offseason yet??

Just now, matter2003 said:

Yeah between McCarron and Poyer's wives we might have two of the hottest WAGs in the NFL too

I think that’s what you call “winning the offseason” 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m sure part of their pitch to AJ was opportunity to start, which is much less if they pick someone like Rosen.

True, but there's no way to guarantee they get Rosen without move to #1. Even if they move in top 5 ( I think they will) they probably don't want to throw a rook to the wolves. Goff's first start was week 9 his rookie year. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  As a starter, he is a dark horse.  As a backup, he did what he was supposed to do when he played - won half his games.

I put this in another thread.  When I did my QB Draft Analysis in Jan, there were two 3-5th round QB "hits" who surprised me (to recap, I used hard numeric criteria linked to winning which didn't change from 1st to 5th round - completion percentage, TD/INT, and YPA).  One was AJ McCarron.  That puts him in a rare category since in 20 years and 31 QB, there were only 2 hits from the 5th round.

So we know he's reasonably accurate (good completion %), reasonably careful with the ball (doesn't throw a lot of picks) and doesn't just check down all the time (good YPA).  What he didn't do was generate a lot of passing offense - 190 ypg on average - and that was in 2015 with a good OL and with AJ Greene and Sanu to throw at.

I am happy about this signing.  They needed someone else in the room and they got him.

Is he better than Tyrod though? That's the question.

5 minutes ago, unclepete said:

I have no idea what A.J. Maccarron has show that makes him a better option than Bridgewater or Bradford. Glad we have someone to start but Peterman has more pro snaps than he does. Hopefully the rookie beats him out in camp and we don’t float with mediocrity for too long 

Becasue the Bills were not going to pay out the nose for a QB when the plan is to draft a rookie high and have him start within a year or sooner.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Color me surprised...I went from expecting it to completely not expecting after Sal said Bills were interested in FA QB's, so just figured we would sign a guy like Moore or Anderson instead then draft a rookie.

I like it a lot though...now the question is, how do the Bills feel about him?  Is it strong enough to impact their draft plans and keep them from trading up or not...thats the only concern I have as I still want a QB in the top 5.  

If AJ McCarron affects them taking a qb high, I'll lose all confidence in him. If the money is right, it could be a really good move. Open competition with him, Peterman, & a rookie. If AJ wins the job and plays relativity well, we have a trade chip when the rookie is ready. If the rookie wins the job, we have a vet backup.

but you don't change your plans because of a guy like AJ.  They've done a good job moving up in the draft. Now you have to finish it. 

Also, id feel better about our qbs if we didn't have the worst receivers in the NFL.  A core of Sammy, Woods, Hogan, & Goodwin would be nice.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2