Cordy Glenn traded to bengals

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It seems like more and more teams have a ton of room. Outside of signing our own that, to me, doesn’t mean a whole lot. 

because of expiring contracts in 2018, most teams would logically see a jump in 2019 cap space. Probably consists of way less than 51 contracts. So while a lot of money, it's misleading to an extent. But it does give roster flexibility.

Edited by klos63

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Beane is not doing all of this work for that scenario. We're not taking Barkley.

the Browns can take him at one. or maybe even 4 if they make some deals. and still draft the QB they like at 2 or 3. crazy potentials

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

Don't like this move. Good LTs are very valuable and the Bills don't have 2 good tackles right now so he would have a been a great bookend with Dawkins.

While it's tough to part with a quality player, I'm now very confident that Beane has his plan and I would say that by 2019 season, you will see this roster filled out the way he wants it. Not saddled with long term deals and plenty of players on their rookie contracts. He will have the ability to add players at key positions with cap flexibility.

wow, great trade. I love Cordy, but foot injuries are pesky and he's pilling them up. Dion seems to only be comfortable at LT, so Cordy had to learn RT or just back up. At 12, it's the perfect spot to draft Lamar Jackson to secure him without reaching since he's a QB. Or they could move up for D'Arnold (what my heart wants) or Rosen (the logical choice with their fondness for Peterman me thinks). Fun times for Bills fan, so much action

16 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Sal C on WGR ... we now over $90MM in free agent money in 2019 ... we're big game hunting (gone Watkins, Dareus, Glenn, Taylor and their contracts) ... time for some talent to come to town in 2019.

Correct me if I am wrong but is there any Watkins dead money on the books for 2018? He was on the last year of his deal and he was traded before the 2017 season started, I think the big dead cap money is coming from Dareus, Glenn, Taylor, and Wood mostly. 

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

because of expiring contracts in 2018, most teams would logically see a jump in 2019 cap space. Probably consists of way less than 51 contracts. So while a lot of money, it's misleading to an extent. But it does give roster flexibility.

Sure that is the case but a likely scenario is we commit $32mm of the $40mm cap available this year and then roll over some $8mm to 2019.  Coupled with reduction in dead moneys and increase in cap, even when you account for the players to be signed in FA and drafted this year in 2019, we could have $65-$70mm avaialble cap in FA in 2019.

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

Don't like this move. Good LTs are very valuable and the Bills don't have 2 good tackles right now so he would have a been a great bookend with Dawkins.

I will question this move. If solely based on Glenn as a football player. You don't trade away unhealthy player to screw your new best friend. Business move i have to accept and will.
Like i mentioned, they sure as heck best have a plan and they sure as heck better not trot out Ducasse and that other guy over there. especially if Glenn or Dawkins would have moved over and upgrade that side of the ball.

But one hell of a trade !

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You guys are nuts. 

I saw a report a couple months ago, can't remember from who, that the Bills and Colts were in discussions to trade Cordy Glenn for "late round considerations." That was way off. I thought his value was shot.

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I have no idea how Beane is getting so much value from players that have fallen out of favor that may have been cut outright...

Last week I would have considered it acceptable to get 2 5th round picks for what amounted to salary dumps in Tyrod and Glenn. I'm in shock.

15 minutes ago, Exxdee said:

wow, great trade. I love Cordy, but foot injuries are pesky and he's pilling them up. Dion seems to only be comfortable at LT, so Cordy had to learn RT or just back up. At 12, it's the perfect spot to draft Lamar Jackson to secure him without reaching since he's a QB. Or they could move up for D'Arnold (what my heart wants) or Rosen (the logical choice with their fondness for Peterman me thinks). Fun times for Bills fan, so much action

Can you fill me in on how we know this?  If it's true then the move makes sense on the player personnel front as well as the draft capital front...Cordy would not be a happy camper positioning himself for his future at RT

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I saw a report a couple months ago, can't remember from who, that the Bills and Colts were in discussions to trade Cordy Glenn for "late round considerations." That was way off. I thought his value was shot.

Last week I would have considered it acceptable to get 2 5th round picks for what amounted to salary dumps in Tyrod and Glenn. I'm in shock.

To be fair that’s more you being out of line than Beane performing miracles 

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I have no idea how Beane is getting so much value from players that have fallen out of favor that may have been cut outright...

Some say in whispers that it has to do with the activities of Beane's non-identical twin, Baldrick Beane.

He avoids the public  eye. He moves in the shadows and is rarely seen. Back home they called him "The Mean Beane".

I must say no more.

• Haha (+1) 2

Cordy Glenn is cool. He's one of the top tackles in the NFL when healthy. Thanks for the years here, big man. And I thought the best we could get for Cordy Glenn is a third round pick. We got the 12th pick in the draft. We should celebrate just because of that. Props to Beane.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Some say in whispers that it has to do with the activities of Beane's non-identical twin, Baldrick Beane.

He avoids the public  eye. He moves in the shadows and is rarely seen. Back home they called him "The Mean Beane".

I must say no more.

Whereas Brandon is the Magic Beane.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I had a dream last night the Bills traded to #2 and took the 1st QB off the board and it was Sam Darnold and he was terrible

Stop dreaming.  

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Report may have been true.

If so the discussion went like this:

Chris Ballard: "Morning!  You seem to have two left tackles.  Any interest in swapping one of them for some picks?

Beane:  "Cordy Glenn is a great LT and we expect him to come back strong, but we are happy with how Dawkins has played.  We could move Cordy.  What did you have in mind?"

Chris Ballard: "How about a 5th and a 6th?"

Beane: "Wrong price range, later!"

2 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

You don't make this trade for Lamar Jackson;  things are now very, very interesting and less theoretical.

I so love that the Jackson backer's dreams have been crushed.

Next up - you Mayfield stans.

It's Rosen or Darnold.

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I will question this move. If solely based on Glenn as a football player. You don't trade away unhealthy player to screw your new best friend. Business move i have to accept and will.

It's horse trading.  The Bills aren't hiding anything - it's known Glenn went to IR, it's known he had surgery, it will be "up to" the Bengals to review his medical history and check him out.  The whole thing could still fall through if Glenn doesn't pass their physical. 

It's like when we bought a car from our neighbor's friend, we checked it out, we agreed on a fair-to-both price, it turns out to have a water leak on the driver's side we're struggling to track down and fix.  Unclear if it developed after we bought it, or if the seller knew.  Either way no hard feelings, it was "on us" to do any checks we like before paying.  Next time we buy a used car we may ask permission to take it through a car wash on our dime, and the problem may be something else.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the writing was on the wall for Glenn so not a total surprise, but I genuinely dislike this move.

When healthy (which he has been most of his career) Glenn was a top 10 LT (locked up with a base salary of only $7.5 mil a year) and we just traded that away for the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick.  And our salary cap savings this year from the move are barely enough to pay for Chris Ivory!  

I understand this was done in the context of a bigger move to trade up for a QB and we won't know how this trade works out for a few years, but I don't understand why this trade couldn't have waited for draft day or why we wouldn't want to keep a top tier LT on a cheap contract to protect our new QB.  (What if we just traded Cordy for next to nothing and still can't get our QB of choice because Jets/Broncos/Cardinals leapfrog us anyway?)

I understand what Beane is doing.  But now we're talking about trading up using the pick we got for not selecting Watson/Mahomes last year, the pick we got for Sammy, the pick we got for Darby, probably our other first rounder and who knows what else.  If they miss with that selection after the mass exodus of talent over the last two years that it took to set this trade up  in motion, Beane will have single-handedly set the team back for years to come.  

Have to admit this is pretty exciting and it seems obvious they are looking to move up to get the guy they want. I think they have to wait to see what the Browns do at 1 and have a few plans in place depending on what they will have to give up to move up. If the Browns take Barkley at 1 and the Giants don't want to take a QB, the price for that spot goes down significantly with the assumption that Chubb is going 3. Suddenly a trade with the Broncos or the Jets at 5 or 6 may get you your guy assuming one of the two take Cousins.

I guess it depends how risky Beane wants to be going forward. We have enough picks to go to #2 right now but if he wants to wait he might get his guy for a lot less. It's a crazy time.....

2 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I think the writing was on the wall for Glenn so not a total surprise, but I genuinely dislike this move.

When healthy (which he has been most of his career) Glenn was a top 10 LT (locked up with a base salary of only $7.5 mil a year) and we just traded that away for the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick.  And our salary cap savings this year from the move are barely enough to pay for Chris Ivory!  

I understand this was done in the context of a bigger move to trade up for a QB and we won't know how this trade works out for a few years, but I don't understand why this trade couldn't have waited for draft day or why we wouldn't want to keep a top tier LT on a cheap contract to protect our new QB.  (What if we just traded Cordy for next to nothing and still can't get our QB of choice because Jets/Broncos/Cardinals leapfrog us anyway?)

I understand what Beane is doing.  But now we're talking about trading up using the pick we got for not selecting Watson/Mahomes last year, the pick we got for Sammy, the pick we got for Darby, probably our other first rounder and who knows what else.  If they miss with that selection after the mass exodus of talent over the last two years that it took to set this trade up  in motion, Beane will have single-handedly set the team back for years to come.  

No way they make this trade with the idea that Glenn is a top 10 LT. They spent an entire year with him and have a good idea what they thought he was worth, it was less than Cincy which values out to a mid second. It is very hard to question them so far when they have arguably more talent on this team now as they did before the 2017 season, they have reduced the salary by an obscene amount of $ and they have an insane amount of picks. Regardless of what happens going forward no way this team has been set back. Oh and we made the playoffs last year.?

Excellent move. Getting the 12th pick in the swap makes moving up into the top 5 more viable. Most teams would not want to move down that far but going from say 3 to 12 plus other assets may get a deal done. Bills are all in and Rosen seems the likely target. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The Purge continues.  Hughes and Lawson could be next.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I can see easily Lawson or even Hughes perhaps if the deal is right. As long as they have the potential replacements on speed dial.

Carzy kids

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Really nice trade again...I have no idea how Beane is getting so much value from players that have fallen out of favor that may have been cut outright...

I always thought if we wanted to get into the top 5 or 6 the best move would be to trade up to just outside the top 10 and then try and trade in from there with that pick...its a lot easier to get a team to go from 5 to 12 than from 5 to 21...

Shaq Lawson is better suited to a 3-4.

Bears run a 3-4. 

#12 and Shaq for #8.  Former Round 1 Pick #19 for a draft point equivalent of a Mid Third Round.

Easier to get to #2-#3 from 8 than 12.

Come on Beane, you can get this done by lunch tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with you.  I was just spitballing.   

I don't think you make this move unless there's someone you really want, and if there's someone you really want you can't sit at 12 and hope he's falling to you.   I think the Bills will be moving again, but the next move might not be until sometime within 48 hours of the draft.   

Beane is fearless.   And I assume McDermott is on board with him.   It's amazing to watch. 

I think it goes until pick one one comes off the board.  

I believe the Giants want Barkley.  If the Browns take Barkley at 1 - the Giants move with the Bills and we get our choice of QB - I think it’s Rosen myself.  If the Browns take someone other than Barkley - the Giants take Barkley and the Bills move to 3 with the Colts and take QB2 - I still think it is Rosen - I think the Browns would take Darnold at 1.

I think they are playing things just about right.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Bears run a 3-4. 

#12 and Shaq for #8.  Former Round 1 Pick #19 for a draft point equivalent of a Mid Third Round.

Uh no he isn't. By his own admission he wondered why Ryan drafted him because he doesn't fit the 3-4 and said the 4-3 was the defense he is supposed to be in and he felt really comfortable in it.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's horse trading.  The Bills aren't hiding anything - it's known Glenn went to IR, it's known he had surgery, it will be "up to" the Bengals to review his medical history and check him out.  The whole thing could still fall through if Glenn doesn't pass their physical. 

It's like when we bought a car from our neighbor's friend, we checked it out, we agreed on a fair-to-both price, it turns out to have a water leak on the driver's side we're struggling to track down and fix.  Unclear if it developed after we bought it, or if the seller knew.  Either way no hard feelings, it was "on us" to do any checks we like before paying.  Next time we buy a used car we may ask permission to take it through a car wash on our dime, and the problem may be something else.

Nice call on the trade up twice scenario, you were on it!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Bears run a 3-4. 

nope, Shaqs a 4-3 end

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fantastic move. Go get 'em, Beane!  On the "trade Cordy" thread a week or so back, I suggested that Glenn right now has a negative trade value: owed $20 million over the next 3 years, and really not waiveable given the cap hit until after 2020. But no! Beane pulls it off.  Positive trade value for Glenn, plus you get out from under that contract, which will be a huge albatross if Glenn isn't reasonably healthy over the next 3 seasons. 

I'm not sure what the Bengals are thinking. Actually, they must be in that state of denial that all teams that need to think about rebuilding go through before they're willing to admit the truth of the situation.

And for Beane:  12 + 22 overall is a pretty attractive package for any team. We started this offseason in a place where I thought the Top 4 QBs had little chance of landing in Buffalo. But the Tyrod deal + the Glenn deal have changed my mind.  I think it's happening, and now we're just one more realistic move away from completing the big move up.

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

Until the opposite of a mass exodus (whatever that is) occurs next off season when they have all that cap room and Beane can set the team forward for years to come (and hopefully w his qb prospect from this yr)... Then they could buy pretty much anything they want EXCEPT potential FQB (not that they'll treat it that way.. just saying). That's the hole in that line of thinking imo

Edited by gobills1212

35 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Nice call on the trade up twice scenario, you were on it!

Thanks, hope I'm right!

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

(...)

We didn't trade Cordy for "next to nothing", we traded him to move up 9 slots in the 1st round - where we will be positioned to draft a better player even if something changes re: which QB we want or plans to trade up further.

The trade could not have waited for draft day because Glenn has been injured and is coming off surgery and any GM worth his salt is going to want the chance to review his medical history and bring him into their facility for a physical by their team doctors before finalizing it.  On draft day, that simply can't happen...what are you going to do, call the NFL and say 'rerun the draft, we want our pick back'?

3 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

It gets us to number 4 and 3 if we throw in another 5th rounder in there. That's more than enough to get us Darnold or Rosen. If the Browns go Darnold and Giants go Rosen, things will get VERY, VERY interesting

So when did NFL team start acting charitable at the draft? Didn’t the Rams trade 6 picks to get to #1? Phily traded 5 to get to #2.

if you truly believe 12, 22 and a 5th is getting you the #3 pick you are sadly mistaken. 

If im Indy, I’m saying, you expect me to give up the best defensive player in the entire draft and you wont add value. Sorry no deal. 

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks, hope I'm right!

We didn't trade Cordy for "next to nothing", we traded him to move up 9 slots in the 1st round - where we will be positioned to draft a better player even if something changes re: which QB we want or plans to trade up further.

The trade could not have waited for draft day because Glenn has been injured and is coming off surgery and any GM worth his salt is going to want the chance to review his medical history and bring him into their facility for a physical by their team doctors before finalizing it.  On draft day, that simply can't happen...what are you going to do, call the NFL and say 'rerun the draft, we want our pick back'?

Agreed - you also could not wait till draft day because they are not staying at 12 - they needed to move and now will be in further discussions with the Giants and Colts to get their guy.  I believe it will still depend upon Cleveland at 1 to see their final spot - I think it comes down to Barkley.