Inordinate Amount of Focus on Quarterback

Irv

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

Edited by Badthingsman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I cant believe there are (now multiple) Bills fans trying to downplay the QB position.

This franchise has been a loser almost its entire existence. The common threads throughout its history: too much priority on RB and D, not enough on QB and Head Coaches.

After the way this team floundered for the past 17 years, mostly due to QB play, in what is now a VERY QB-centric league, get out of here with that "too much focus on QB" BS.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Closest we had was Mario Williams when he was actually trying. That said, QB trumps everything. Name one "stud" on the Packers defense, for example. Clay Matthews, maybe, but he's not up there with the Von Millers or JJ Watts of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Quite frankly, the league hasn't seen another like Bruce Smith, not just us. We've also had two Pro Bowl DEs since as well. But all that is beside the point. When defensive end becomes the equivalent of QB in terms of importance then we'll see just as many threads devoted to that position. 

• Like (+1) 1

Who's the quarterback of the Patriots?  How many MVPs has he won and how many times has he lead his team to the Super Bowl, let alone them winning it?  Imagine how that team would be with Taylor or Manuel as their quarterback.  How did the Packers do last season before Rodgers went out compared to what they did with him healthy?  Perhaps this explains emphasis on quarterbacks.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I cant believe there are (now multiple) Bills fans trying to downplay the QB position.

This franchise has been a loser almost its entire existence. The common threads throughout its history: too much priority on RB and D, not enough on QB and Head Coaches.

After the way this team floundered for the past 17 years, mostly due to QB play, in what is now a VERY QB-centric league, get out of here with that "too much focus on QB" BS.

Exactly^^^^

Teams may occasionally win, even SB’s, with a very strong defense but they generally do so for a year or two.  The league has created a dynamic such that having the right QB is a necessity to win consistently over time.

When is the last time the Pastsies had a “stud” on D?  It’s been a while.  Over their dynasty run you think mostly about offense and QB not about defense.  

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's no such thing as an inordinate amount of focus on the most difficult position in professional major sports when a team hasn't had a viable long term solution since 1996.

end thread

God i cant wait until the draft is over so the daft threads and the weak sauce takes stop.

Its always amazes me how many "fans" and self proclaimed "educated enthusiasts" are willing to come to a web site and publicly attach their name to nonsense.  

i guess there is always something to complain about - but if you could add JJ Watt or Aaron Rodgers to your team (both great players so credit where its due) but outside the 1 guy who wants to be difficult and different EVERYONE else picks Rodgers.

Maybe the equivalent to each isnt even IN this class but ya gotta at least try for the right answer to the above question....

and YES there IS a right answer 

Edited by gobills1212

22 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

because this games most improtant position is the QB.. Until we can solve that riddle no player at any other position will make the difference for us.

get the QB and then difference makers at other postions will actually make a difference

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's no such thing as an inordinate amount of focus on the most difficult position in major professional sports when a team hasn't had a viable long term solution since 1996.

That would be true if the rest of the team was very good and the only thing stopping us was a poor QB.

25 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I just can’t believe these threads. What is with all this fear? The Bills have filled holes, drafted can’t miss prospects and where has that got them in the past 20 years? You know what they haven’t done,?

The fear on this board is palpable and real.

32 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Closest we had was Mario Williams when he was actually trying. That said, QB trumps everything. Name one "stud" on the Packers defense, for example. Clay Matthews, maybe, but he's not up there with the Von Millers or JJ Watts of the league.

Even though Nick Perry put up better numbers than him last year, Clay Matthews is absolutely a "stud".  The problem is that Matthews allowed himself to be moved to MLB several seasons ago for the benefit of the team as a whole. Ultimately it hurt him.  Don't get me wrong he is a damn good middle linebacker, but he is elite on the outside.

I have got a dollar on Pettine putting him back there.

I'm not saying that QB is not the most important position.  What I am saying is there is not enough talk about the game changer on defense.  JJ Watt is a great example.  Khalil Mack is another.  Suh was an animal.  I'd also like to add that (forget Maybin) the odds on a stud defender working out are WAY better than a QB.  Just look at the long line of loser first round QB's like Couch, Manziel, Barkely, etc.    

29 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

I'm not saying that QB is not the most important position.  What I am saying is there is not enough talk about the game changer on defense.  JJ Watt is a great example.  Khalil Mack is another.  Suh was an animal.  I'd also like to add that (forget Maybin) the odds on a stud defender working out are WAY better than a QB.  Just look at the long line of loser first round QB's like Couch, Manziel, Barkely, etc.    

You’ve just listed 3 defenseman who haven’t won a Super Bowl and haven’t lifted their teams past the first round of the playoffs. Amazing. Yes let’s get one of them ? instead of QB.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Why can't we do both? We have 4 top picks, say one of the top 4 falls to 10-15, we could trade up from 21 while keeping most of our picks. We could walk away with Baker Mayfield and still have 22 to spend on a defensive prospect like Vita Vea.

i don't think there's any chance that will happen but man those are my top two guys I would die to get on our team.    Vea is the next Ngata.  

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

QB is the most important position on the team and it’s not even close. How many stud defenders has New England had with Tom Brady? How about Indy when Manning was there? We need a QB

So the plan is to find the greatest QB of all time and let him single-handedly carry the team?  Not very realistic IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

If the bills draft  DE and an LB with their two picks, the server hosting TBD will crash so badly it will literally catch on fire.  Even if it’s reggie while and Lawrence Taylor 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

So why even bother to try? (He said sarcastically)

4 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

QB is and always will be the most important position. Once we get one, we'll be able to focus on all sorts of fun things.

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

When healthy, Clay is a stud. But your QB point is spot on - we saw how well the Pack did when Aaron Rodgers was out for 7 weeks. He's far more important to the team than Matthews.

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Jesus Christ 

No you can find that guy every where. We’re talking about a generationally great QB in the draft. 

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, yes he might be very good.

Seriously, even trading up to the top of the draft, you still hope to find a good starter.  There are VERY few Bradys, Rodgers and Brees

Jinx

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Since 2003, cumulatively the Bills are 32nd in the league in passing yards.  In the last 15 years, we are dead last moving the ball in the air.  We’ve made the playoffs once and squeaked in by a miracle TD pass by another QB.  

Not doubting your statement but if true that's nuts.  I know we are bad year after year but WOW.

I'm almost sure we are moving up a good number of picks but I am not sure how far up.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not doubting your statement but if true that's nuts.  I know we are bad year after year but WOW.

I'm almost sure we are moving up a good number of picks but I am not sure how far up.

It was discussed on WGR this morning.  It sucked hearing it and it wasn’t surprising.  I mean the Browns have us beat.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Since 2003, cumulatively the Bills are 32nd in the league in passing yards.  In the last 15 years, we are dead last moving the ball in the air.  We’ve made the playoffs once and squeaked in by a miracle TD pass by another QB.  

Ouch, I knew it was bad but never this bad. I guess it makes sense why I have been a broken record since about 2006 on saying the Bills need a real QB when talking with friends, co-workers and family.

Edited by Real McCoy

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Exactly^^^^

Teams may occasionally win, even SB’s, with a very strong defense but they generally do so for a year or two.  The league has created a dynamic such that having the right QB is a necessity to win consistently over time.

When is the last time the Pastsies had a “stud” on D?  It’s been a while.  Over their dynasty run you think mostly about offense and QB not about defense.  

:o The Patsies always keep a stud or two on defense... Wilfork, Hightower, Chandler Jones, you could go back to Mike Vrabel, and Teddy Bruschi,  if you wanted to.... They specifically employ difference-makers on defense.... outcome changers.... Face it, the mother___ers know how to draft well....

The Bills buy into NFL Network banter, DON'T do their homework, and draft STUPID.

• Like (+1) 1