Chris Cooley: Vikings ready to offer Cousins $91M guaranteed

1 hour ago, HiddenInLight said:

Weren't there rumors that Cousins said that the Vikings were his first choice a while back?

Maybe. Could be that cousins wants to get a little more leverage by leaking the terms of the offer and causing another team to up its offer (thereby prompting a reaction from the Vikings).  I can’t believe this isn’t from the cousins side given who reported the information. And I can’t believe it would have been reported had cousins not consented to the release.

2 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

That would be a great fit for both the player and the team.  That being said, I'd prefer he signed with NYJ, Denver, or the Browns.  For 100% selfish reasons.

Need one of them to make the trade for Foles. 

57 minutes ago, dpberr said:

That's great money paying for good performance.  It feels so Scott Mitchell-ish.  

I have no idea why the Vikings are entertaining this purchase.  Kirk Cousins wasn't going to stop the VIkings from getting run out of Philadelphia.  

They might not like any of the three “in house” options.

Wow. Good for him. I've always liked him and I hoped he could come to Buffalo, but I don't see it happening with other teams willing to throw so much at him.

He's made a truck load of money already getting franchised the past couple years.

1 hour ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Had a couple beverages on Saturday with a friend from the DC area who is a longtime Skins fan.  He said he'd rather have Alex Smith and the extra $10M per year to spend than pay Cousins what he is asking.

Most Skins fans feel this way, as did the team.  Cousins has worn out his welcome in DC.  I do not think you will hear any of his teammates bemoaning his loss either. There is no significant difference at all between Smith and Cousins in practical terms.  Smith does have more playoff experience and is more mobile. Neither is elite.  

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow. Good for him. I've always liked him and I hoped he could come to Buffalo, but I don't see it happening with other teams willing to throw so much at him.

He's made a truck load of money already getting franchised the past couple years.

$45,000,000 the last two years and about to cash in for real. It's insane when you compare his $ to others within the game right now. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

aaand he can re-up at 33....

Aaron Rodgers right now: 

giphy.gif

Another reason why the Bills need to go all in to get one of top QB'S in this draft.  This guy is a good but not great QB and he is getting 30 mill,  Beane should be calling Giants or Colts and offering 2 # ones and second plus another second next season.  Well worth it

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

$45,000,000 the last two years and about to cash in for real. It's insane when you compare his $ to others within the game right now. 

Yeah. This couldn't have happened better for him.

I love everyone saying this is insane money.

It's what bona fide starting QBs in the NFL make.   Compared to what you and I make, sure it's insane.   In the NFL, he's getting exactly what he should.   

If the Vikings win a Super Bowl with him, is anyone going to think the guy was overpaid?   If they win two, he'll be a bargain.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

It's what bona fide starting QBs in the NFL make.   Compared to what you and I make, sure it's insane.   In the NFL, he's getting exactly what he should.   

If the Vikings win a Super Bowl with him, is anyone going to think the guy was overpaid?   If they win two, he'll be a bargain.  

right. and i'd have to say if they land cousins its them and philly as the favorites.... on paper at least.

windows come and go quickly in the nfl, it seems. they need to maximize their chances. they have an elite roster and are getting Dalvin cook back in the lineup. they have the potential to be scary good for a short time here.

By far the best football (winning) situation for Cousins.  And with that guaranteed money, I'd think that the Jets and the Broncos would have to offer A LOT more guaranteed money to sway him; especially the Jets.

If he gets good coaching, I think Cousins will be one of the top 5 QBs in the league in two years.    I think so because I think he's probably among the top 5 QBs in the league to be a coach-on-the-field-type QB.   He's smart, he studies, he executes the way he's supposed to.   With good coaching, he'll be outsmarting defenses around the league.   

Of course, he could suck in crunch time, in which case in matter how smart he is. 

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I have said for quite some time he was going to Minnesota. A contract like this and there is no doubt with the team already in place. A SB caliber roster and $30,000,000 a year? Done.

Agreed

...Jesus, if this clown is getting $91 mil, Rodgers is going to be the first $100 million dollar man.........hell, he can even buy Danica her very own race car for quick trips to Walmart...

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I love you coming in here and assuming the Vikings are going to win a SB or two in the next three years because of Kirk Cousins.

Pardon me while I piss my pants laughing.

• Like (+1) 1

So the Vikes are all in for this year.  There's no way they can keep all the FAs with so much cash tied up with Cousins.

And good for them.  Championships don't go to the faint-hearted. 

BUT, is Cousins really that good?  I read the Washington Post web site a lot and the fans there were pretty lukewarm about him.  I think the Vikes will put a team around Cousins that's very strong (for now) and with GB's roster depleted due to all the money Rogers gets, and the Bears and Lions being the Bears and Lions, the Vikings have a good shot at winning their division.  So they'll be in the top four or five teams, just a little above where they were last year. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Jesus, if this clown is getting $91 mil, Rodgers is going to be the first $100 million dollar man.........hell, he can even buy Danica her very own race car for quick trips to Walmart...

She'd still come in 14th

4 hours ago, sir andrew said:

What happens to Bradford, Kenum and Bridgewater?

I think Bradford and Bridgewater will only be able to sign "prove your healthy" contracts.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Another reason why the Bills need to go all in to get one of top QB'S in this draft.  This guy is a good but not great QB and he is getting 30 mill,  Beane should be calling Giants or Colts and offering 2 # ones and second plus another second next season.  Well worth it

It would be well worth it.  Problem is you would need a lot more than that.

44 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I love you coming in here and assuming the Vikings are going to win a SB or two in the next three years because of Kirk Cousins.

Pardon me while I piss my pants laughing.

Read much, Beast?  Where does my post assume anything?  

I said "if."  If you need help understanding the concept that word signifies, let me know and I'll try to advance your education.  

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Don't forget the Falcons #1 priority this year is Matt Ryan's extension.

Drew Brees is watching all this too, even though he probably will give a hometown discount.

Lucks $'s will look cheap after Rodgers, Ryan, Cousins signings.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't forget the Falcons #1 priority this year is Matt Ryan's extension.

Drew Brees is watching all this too, even though he probably will give a hometown discount.

Lucks $'s will look cheap after Rodgers, Ryan, Cousins signings.

...LOL..."Me" Brees first?......stat boy has never given NO a hometown discount and usually has put them in a cap bind.....as far as UFA and his statement that "I'm not going anywhere..I AM A SAINT"......means "as long as they pay me what I think I'm worth"......ain't no Brady discount in HIS cards IMO....

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL..."Me" Brees first?......stat boy has never given NO a hometown discount and usually has put them in a cap bind.....as far as UFA and his statement that "I'm not going anywhere..I AM A SAINT"......means "as long as they pay me what I think I'm worth"......ain't no Brady discount in HIS cards IMO....

You watch, he will sign a 2 year 60ish (probably almost fully guaranteed) at 40 years of age and call it a discount.

New Orleans still owes him 18 million in signing bonus even though his contract is up.

They have been playing with cap numbers for so long it's about to bite them in the butt again.

Brees has already made 212 million dollars playing football.

I wonder what Jack Kemp made in his career?  Lol

Good work when you can get it...$30 million a year? I'd sign that in a New York millisecond

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

So the Vikes are all in for this year.  There's no way they can keep all the FAs with so much cash tied up with Cousins.

And good for them.  Championships don't go to the faint-hearted. 

BUT, is Cousins really that good?  I read the Washington Post web site a lot and the fans there were pretty lukewarm about him.  I think the Vikes will put a team around Cousins that's very strong (for now) and with GB's roster depleted due to all the money Rogers gets, and the Bears and Lions being the Bears and Lions, the Vikings have a good shot at winning their division.  So they'll be in the top four or five teams, just a little above where they were last year. 

What do you think is gonna start happening to the Vikings roster now they are going to be paying him $30 million a year?

Starting to think the best chance for a team to win a Super Bowl is to draft a franchise QB and then build up around him before he finishes his rookie deal and you have to break the bank...or of course draft a franchise QB and have him take chump change like Brady.

Eagles and Seahawks won this way...

Edited by matter2003

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You watch, he will sign a 2 year 60ish (probably almost fully guaranteed) at 40 years of age and call it a discount.

New Orleans still owes him 18 million in signing bonus even though his contract is up.

They have been playing with cap numbers for so long it's about to bite them in the butt again.

Brees has already made 212 million dollars playing football.

I wonder what Jack Kemp made in his career?  Lol

..better yet, bet the poor 'ol SOB has rolled over 212 times in his grave with today's stupid money.......ditto for Blanda and he did double duty as a PK.....BTW Bradford has made $114 mil in 8 seasons with 110 TD passes or $1.129 mil each...nice work if you can get it............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Bills Make Kelly NFL's Highest-Paid Player

August 19, 1986|Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Jim Kelly, record-setting passer in the United States Football League, became the highest-paid player in the National Football League Monday.

The Buffalo Bills signed Kelly to a five-year contract that, according to Kelly's agents, is worth between $7.5 million and $8 million. The salary, about $1.5 million a year, is at least $200,000 more than quarterback Joe Montana's annual pay with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Bills are hoping to receive instant credibility with fans after winning just 4 of their last 32 games and selling fewer than 20,000 season tickets for the second straight season.

Concurrent with Kelly's signing, the Bills announced that they had waived Art Schlichter, former Ohio State and Indianapolis Colts' quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919867/article/kirk-cousins-options-open-vikings-mulling-qb-decision

Appearing on Tuesday's edition of Up to the Minute Live, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero shut down whispers of a covert agreement that would send Cousins to Minnesota.

"I know there was one word out of Washington today that the Vikings already have offered Cousins a three-year, $91 million fully guaranteed contract," Pelissero said. "I spoke to people that I trust with knowledge of this situation who say those numbers are absolutely false. The Vikings have not made any offer to Kirk Cousins."

Pelissero further explained that the Vikings are "still going through that process" of deciding whether it's worth exceeding $30 million annually for Cousins if they believe they can re-sign Case KeenumSam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater for a more reasonable number that won't hamstring their efforts to lock up nucleus players such as Anthony BarrEric KendricksDanielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs.

Sounds to me more like the Vikings expect Cousins to get $30+ Million on the market (and are debating if it'd be worth it at that price), rather than them actually making that offer. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills Make Kelly NFL's Highest-Paid Player

August 19, 1986|Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Jim Kelly, record-setting passer in the United States Football League, became the highest-paid player in the National Football League Monday.

The Buffalo Bills signed Kelly to a five-year contract that, according to Kelly's agents, is worth between $7.5 million and $8 million. The salary, about $1.5 million a year, is at least $200,000 more than quarterback Joe Montana's annual pay with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Bills are hoping to receive instant credibility with fans after winning just 4 of their last 32 games and selling fewer than 20,000 season tickets for the second straight season.

Concurrent with Kelly's signing, the Bills announced that they had waived Art Schlichter, former Ohio State and Indianapolis Colts' quarterback.

Panthers lock up kicker Graham Gano with long-term deal

In less than a year Panthers kicker Graham Gano has gone from a guy competing for his job to one of the highest-paid kickers in the NFL.

With the clocking ticking toward Tuesday’s franchise tag deadline, the Panthers locked up Gano with a four-year contract worth $17 million, including $9 million guaranteed, according to a league source.

The $4.25 million per-year average makes Gano the second-highest paid kicker in the league, just behind New England’s Stephen Gostkowski ($4.3 million average) and slightly above Baltimore’s Justin Tucker ($4.2 million).

• Haha (+1) 1