LeSean McCoy for The Player’s Tribune: The Culture has shifted in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

The whole week leading up that playoff game, I didn’t even know if I was going to be able to play. My ankle was in rough shape.

But man … the first playoff game in 17 years?

They would have had to cut my damn foot off to keep me from playing.

I had to take some medication just to be able to play in that game. By halftime, the meds were wearing off. But I fought through it. And even though I wasn’t myself, I’m happy I did. I’m glad I left it all on the field.

I just wish I could have done more.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I don't know if we want the Bills to be known for beer and jumping on tables, but I love being known for the passion.   

Shady didn't have to write this piece.  In his own way, I think he's a thoughtful guy and I think this whole experience has moved him.   Remember when he first was traded, how he reacted to having to leave Philly.   I was disappointed, but I felt for him, too.   It was hard.   

For his first two years with the Bills, you could see his attitude changing.   He was feeling it.  But as he says, what it really took was the culture change in the locker room.  We've thought what happened inside those doors had changed, but this is one of the first times we're hearing a player really talk about it.   He's REALLY feeling it now.  

Bodes well for a lot of things.   Free agents are hearing and seeing this.   If the Bills are talking to a guy, especially a younger guy, and Shady McCoy calls him with this talk, that means something.  It also means that when team activities begin in a couple of months, there's going to be a whole new attitude, from day 1.   Everyone returning already gets it.   When rookies come in, they're going to see, from day 1, what it takes to be part of this team.   

Hasn't felt this good to be a Bills fan in a long time. 

T

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Never really liked McCoy the guy, but I like him a great deal more after that article.

You know, I didn't, either.   But after watching him and listening to him, I've come to conclude several things about him:

1.  Simply physically, he's a great running back.   One of the best ever. 

2.  He has the heart of a great running back.   He avoids tackles and goes down easily, but if you need three yards he gets you four, not two.  

3.  He shoots his mouth off a bit too much and says some things he shouldn't, but he isn't a jerk.   Several times now, it's become clear that he understands what he said wrong and regrets it.   This whole article has a little of the sound of an apology for not reacting more positively when he was traded. 

All you need to know about Shady is the image of him lying on the field, pounding the ground with his fist when he hurt his ankle in the Miami game.   All you need to know about Shady is what he did to get himself back on the field the following week.   

• Like (+1) 8

Very nice of McCoy to recognize the Bills fans like that and so heartfelt.

It also is a good reminder of how important (fairly or unfairly) a sports franchise is to a city.  A winning team that is supported by a loyal fan base can change the public persona of a city so quickly just as a chronically bad team can make a city seem more "depressed" than it really is (Cleveland).

This one season has really changed the reputation of Buffalo, you no longer hear it being mentioned as a place you don't want to play.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny how a good number of people want Shady cut or traded. That is about as dumb as it gets. He's the best player on the team, 30 or not. He gives it all on the field and has a solid rep as a teammate. His cap hit is hardly impactful. Add to that the sentiment expressed in this article and how could you want a guy like that gone? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Great piece! I love Shady.

This

The guy just gets it. He’s a warrior and has the type of attitude needed to succeed. He believes that they will succeed. That’s such a different mentality than hoping that you succeed. McDermott deserves a good bit of credit for that as well.

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

It makes a big difference when a potential HOF'er and high-profile guy like Shady does it. 

Agreed, but I think McDermott deserves the lion's share of the credit. He installed a philosophy and made commitment to the process his manta and his team bought in and overproduced. I can't wait to see what he accomplishes once he gets more chess pieces on the board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

You dont cut him. You stop even considering it. Some things are bigger than salary cap numbers. 

He still has gas in the tank and now with the loss of Eric Wood, having a vet like Shady is vital to the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if we want the Bills to be known for beer and jumping on tables, but I love being known for the passion.   

Shady didn't have to write this piece.  In his own way, I think he's a thoughtful guy and I think this whole experience has moved him.   Remember when he first was traded, how he reacted to having to leave Philly.   I was disappointed, but I felt for him, too.   It was hard.   

For his first two years with the Bills, you could see his attitude changing.   He was feeling it.  But as he says, what it really took was the culture change in the locker room.  We've thought what happened inside those doors had changed, but this is one of the first times we're hearing a player really talk about it.   He's REALLY feeling it now.  

Bodes well for a lot of things.   Free agents are hearing and seeing this.   If the Bills are talking to a guy, especially a younger guy, and Shady McCoy calls him with this talk, that means something.  It also means that when team activities begin in a couple of months, there's going to be a whole new attitude, from day 1.   Everyone returning already gets it.   When rookies come in, they're going to see, from day 1, what it takes to be part of this team.   

Hasn't felt this good to be a Bills fan in a long time. 

T

You know, I didn't, either.   But after watching him and listening to him, I've come to conclude several things about him:

1.  Simply physically, he's a great running back.   One of the best ever. 

2.  He has the heart of a great running back.   He avoids tackles and goes down easily, but if you need three yards he gets you four, not two.  

3.  He shoots his mouth off a bit too much and says some things he shouldn't, but he isn't a jerk.   Several times now, it's become clear that he understands what he said wrong and regrets it.   This whole article has a little of the sound of an apology for not reacting more positively when he was traded. 

All you need to know about Shady is the image of him lying on the field, pounding the ground with his fist when he hurt his ankle in the Miami game.   All you need to know about Shady is what he did to get himself back on the field the following week.   

What does/has Shady shot his mouth off a bit too much about? 

Thanks Shady for leaving it out there. Buffalo celebrates hard work and grit and appreciates talent.... you have both and we will be forever thankful you have embrassed the fan base! Go Bills!

PS I will also remember you trying to recuit players here as well...  thank you!

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It's funny how a good number of people want Shady cut or traded. That is about as dumb as it gets. He's the best player on the team, 30 or not. He gives it all on the field and has a solid rep as a teammate. His cap hit is hardly impactful. Add to that the sentiment expressed in this article and how could you want a guy like that gone? 

that's a pathetic wannabee straw man to suggest people wanted him cut or traded.

25 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

What does/has Shady shot his mouth off a bit too much about? 

He says things before he thinks about them.   Spouted off a lot about getting traded.   Said too much right after that night club incident.    

The result is that you hear him apologizing a day or two later.  

He's learning.   He was really unhappy after the playoff game, because they didn't run the ball on first and one.   He went right up to the edge of saying something stupid, then stopped and said it's not his decision.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Someone posted that video of him throwing his helmet against the locker room wall after walking off the field in Jax. I thought of that when I read this piece. He thought they could and would win and was pissed. Rightfully so.

That was me!  Thank you for forgetting about my hard work YOLO.

• Sad 1

I think we were right to question his loyalty his first year here. I haven't questioned it at all since then. He's a phenomenal player, and wants to win so badly for us. He will always be an Eagles fan, and that's ok. He works his heart out for us.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He says things before he thinks about them.   Spouted off a lot about getting traded.   Said too much right after that night club incident.    

He's learning.   He was really unhappy after the playoff game, because they didn't run the ball on first and one.   He went right up to the edge of saying something stupid, then stopped and said it's not his decision.  

I think it would be natural for anyone to be upset about being traded. Especially if you have spent your entire life in the state of Pennsylvania. You would feel unwanted because you are literally that, unwanted. If he got traded from Buffalo today tomorrow I would fully expect him to be pissed about that too. 

You have a great memory if you remember him saying anything after the night club incident, my memory was he said nothing. I need some memory medicine.

What I see about Shady is people always wanting to paint him in a negative light for one reason or another. Its a shame too because he is a role model, and has been for years. More NFL players could learn from him.  (Not necessarily pointing fingers at you Shaw, just in general...people always trying to jump on him for little things)

Edited by PaattMaann

He's a stud. Imagine if teams didn't stack the box on him 24/7??

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He'd basically have said what we were all thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stony said:

He's a stud. Imagine if teams didn't stack the box on him 24/7??

He'd basically have said what we were all thinking. 

Right.   And his coach wouldn't have liked it.   Or his quarterback.   

And to PaattMaann - just because he was upset about being traded doesn't mean he should be saying what he thinks.   That's the whole point.   If you're a public figure, what you say gets magnified and scrutinized.   If you're smart, you keep your mouth shut.    Shady hasn't always been smart.   He's maturing and getting better at it.   That's why I pointed out his comments after the Jacksonville game.   He was letting his brain control his mouth, which he hasn't always done in the past.   

• Like (+1) 1

What a fun read that was. Thank you, Shady!

LeSean McCoy has become one of my favorite Bills players, and I hope he is with us until he retires.

He said awhile back that he thinks he can play until he's 33, and I say let him.

He's a one-of-a-kind player, and we should enjoy him being here for as much as we can.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Someone posted that video of him throwing his helmet against the locker room wall after walking off the field in Jax. I thought of that when I read this piece. He thought they could and would win and was pissed. Rightfully so.

I thought it was determined that the video was after the Philly game, not the playoff game?

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I thought it was determined that the video was after the Philly game, not the playoff game?

This was the headline of the tweet that was sent out on January 7th, 2018

If it was from the Philly game, this site used the wrong video I'm guessing.  

mccoy jags.jpg

Edited by Royale with Cheese