Beane's Transactions

Ittakestime

Watkins for Gaines and 2nd = Gaines hurt all year, something new each week.

Darby for Matthews and 3rd = Matthews didn't even finish season from previous injuries.

Wood 2 year extension = Wood retirement before contract even kicked in

Seymour for Clay = Both players ended up contributing for Carolina

Ragland for 4th = Ragland starting LB in KC

Dareus for 5th = Dareus looking great for Jacksonville while we left with dead money

Signed Rod Streater = Didn't play a snap this year

Signed Boldin = Didn't play a snap this year

Traded a 3rd for Benjamin = Benjamin getting hurt 2nd game here (knees were questioned as soon as trade went down, have always been an issue for him).

Edited by Ittakestime
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It was actually McBeane.  They put the players together that got us over the hump.  They have to be given credit for that.  

Besides what players I listed above, what players did Beane bring onto this team?

He didn't hire the coaches, didn't sign the top FA (Poyer, Haush, Hyde), and didn't draft the players.

Would I have liked to have Watkins, Darius, Ragland, Seymore, and Darby against the Jags for the playoff game?  Yes.  Especially Darius and Watkins.

Would we have made the playoffs with those good players on the roster?  Not sure.

Forgot trade for KB.

In hindsight, I'll take the playoff appearance as well as KB and the stock pile of draft picks going into next year.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Would I have liked to have Watkins, Darius, Ragland, Seymore, and Darby against the Jags for the playoff game?  Yes.  Especially Darius and Watkins.

Would we have made the playoffs with those good players on the roster?  Not sure.

Forgot trade for KB.

In hindsight, I'll take the playoff appearance as well as KB and the stock pile of draft picks going into next year.

You are correct about KB, I will add.  Thank you

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Besides what players I listed above, what players did Beane bring onto this team?

He didn't hire the coaches, didn't sign the top FA (Poyer, Haush, Hyde), and didn't draft the players.

You're so close to finding the point on your own. Keep pushing. I believe in you.

• Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Darby for Matthews and 3rd = Matthews didn't even finish season from previous injuries.

Dareus for 5th = Dareus looking great for Jacksonville while we left with dead money

So, another Negative Nellie

17 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Valid and true. I'd like to add

Darby was for Matthews and KB

Gaines was 9-4 in lineup. 17-13 is 4 games missed. We got a stud LT with our 2nd last year, if we got another stud player,we easily win that trade.

Dareus was a straight money move.

Wood was pure bad luck. Can't see that coming.

Every GM has hits and misses. Gotta hit more than miss 

Edited by JerseyBills

Quick review:

Playoff appearances with Dareus, Sammy, Darby, Kevon, Clay Clay, Rags - 0

Playoff appearances without them - 1

It was addition by subtraction.  They did not fit into the team dynamic McBeane was trying to instill here.  I was a huge detractor of McBeane, but the results have won me over.  THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITHOUT THE DEAD WEIGHT, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Quick review:

It was addition by subtraction.  They did not fit into the team dynamic McBeane was trying to instill here.  I was a huge detractor of McBeane, but the results have won me over.  THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITHOUT THE DEAD WEIGHT, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!

few more key pieces and they can make a run at being a contender consistently?

of course, it takes time.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

Beane picked right up where "Whaley" left off trading in the first round with Kansas City instead of.....ya' know......reaching out to QB-destitute Houston?:doh: and costing themselves the #4 pick in the draft..........and not picking up the Watkins 5th year option then selling him low........which did huge damage to the Bills 2017 offense and SW was poised for a huge year, which in a weak WR draft like this one, he'd be worth at least a late first round pick in trade instead of a late second rounder if you needed trade capital. :doh:

This is really about McD's call on these issues.   It's more than unlikely that Whaley would have wanted to pass on SW's 5th year option if it were up to him.   We know McD's connection to Andy Reid was most likely how KC got that 1st round deal and the subsequent Ragland deal hooked up.  

They certainly didn't win 9 games because of any moves once Beane arrived......if anything they did it in spite of those moves.    

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Traded a 3rd for Benjamin = Benjamin getting hurt 2nd game here (knees were questioned as soon as trade went down, have always been an issue for him).

signed a couple decent backup RB's during the season. Did he sign Deonte thompson? if so, not a bad move.

It's ridiculous to overly criticize Beane at the juncture of his time as GM. Give him this offseason of free agency and drafting and let's see how the team performs.

Gaines and a 2nd for Watkins?   Bills have definitely gotten the better of that trade so far.  Gaines was a much more valuable player for us than Watkins was for them.  Plus who knows what the 2nd round pick will net.

Darby wasn't a scheme fit, we heard that all year.  So that was another decent trade, not as good as the Gaines and a 2nd for Watkins but a good one none the less.

Ragland, we'll see.  He looked good against us.  I always was a fan of Ragland but he wasn't the type of MLB that McD wanted which is someone who will be able to cover a lot of ground and would also be good against the pass.  But again, he did look good.

Dareus, well.  He certainly wasn't playing at a high level with the Bills over the past couple years and he is one strike away from being suspended for a very long time.   But man did he look good against the Patriots, the kind of player that we saw a few years ago.  One part of me wants to see him do well and another would hate to see him regain form for Jacksonville.  They wanted to shed salary cap room for 2019 and beyond and they didn't believe he was going to regain form and he wasn't the kind of player they wanted.  We'll see how that pans out.

The true measure of Beane will be this off season.  It is arguably one of the most critical off season's we have had in a long time and his prints will be all over it.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Forgot trade for KB.

We were 9-7 a few years back and everyone viewed that as terrible.  This year we had the same record.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Quick review:

Sooooo I think there is reason to be optimistic but likewise cautious with that. Making the playoffs isn’t near the accomplishment that it feels like this January.

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane picked right up where "Whaley" left off trading in the first round with Kansas City instead of.....ya' know......reaching out to QB-destitute Houston?:doh: and costing themselves the #4 pick in the draft..........and not picking up the Watkins 5th year option then selling him low........which did huge damage to the Bills 2017 offense and SW was poised for a huge year, which in a weak WR draft like this one, he'd be worth at least a late first round pick in trade instead of a late second rounder if you needed trade capital. :doh:

This is really about McD's call on these issues.   It's more than unlikely that Whaley would have wanted to pass on SW's 5th year option if it were up to him.   We know McD's connection to Andy Reid was most likely how KC got that 1st round deal and the subsequent Ragland deal hooked up.  

They certainly didn't win 9 games because of any moves once Beane arrived......if anything they did it in spite of those moves.    

The trade with KC was made by Whaley and McD. Beane was not even with the team as yet. KC used that pick for Mahomes and now the Bills are supposedly prepared to package that pick, their current pick and probably a few othefs to move up and grab one of the QBs left over after Darnold and Rosen are gone. Very Billsy.

Begin rant. 

I haven't even read the rest of the thread yet but, seriously?! The influx of complete morons, which I assume is from the BBMB closing, is absolutely astounding. Here I am, thinking that the Sabres boards were bad. Nope. We make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and the trolls are still here, and predominantly moreso.

This might be my only post for the next 6 months because I don't post often, but honestly, how f'ing pathetic...utterly pathetic... is your life if you (a) get joy out of trolling a message board; and/or (b) honestly have this opinion after making the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and nearly beating an AFC championship team. 

It's like having your first child and saying "ugh, you're going to disappoint me so many times in the future with poor decisions, why did I even do this? Mistake." 

Get a freaking life. Too many of these posts lately. 

Rant over. 

Edited by Saosin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Sooooo I think there is reason to be optimistic but likewise cautious with that. Making the playoffs isn’t near the accomplishment that it feels like this January.

<sigh>

McBeane did something that Butler/Phillips, Donahoe/Greggggg/Mularkey, Marvcus/Jauron, Brandon/Jauron, Nix/Gailey/Maroon, Whaley/Maroon, and Whaley/Ryan were unable to do.  They made the playoffs.  With a draft that Whaley influenced before he was fired.  They deserve credit for that.  I can't wait to see them draft players that fit into their team image.  They've proven that they know how to build a team.  I'm not sure what else you guys want from them.  At this point, crying over Sammy, Dareus, et al, is sour grapes.  They made the playoffs without those guys, without their on-field talent.  That tells me that their off-field behavior was having a detrimental effect on the team.  McBeane recognized it, shipped them out, we made the playoffs.  If you're not going to give them credit for that, I got nothing left to say.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

For this alone you are a moron

• Like (+1) 1

Ironic name...

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

What was the point of extending wood last year?  It's not even like we got him on the cheap for extending him early

The man is 1 hit from being a vegetable and you want to bring this up as if Beane is to blame. NO WAY YOU ARE A BILLS FAN!!!

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

<sigh>

McBeane did something that Butler/Phillips, Donahoe/Greggggg/Mularkey, Marvcus/Jauron, Brandon/Jauron, Nix/Gailey/Maroon, Whaley/Maroon, and Whaley/Ryan were unable to do.  They made the playoffs.  With a draft that Whaley influenced before he was fired.  They deserve credit for that.  I can't wait to see them draft players that fit into their team image.  They've proven that they know how to build a team.  I'm not sure what else you guys want from them.  At this point, crying over Sammy, Dareus, et al, is sour grapes.  They made the playoffs without those guys, without their on-field talent.  That tells me that their off-field behavior was having a detrimental effect on the team.  McBeane recognized it, shipped them out, we made the playoffs.  If you're not going to give them credit for that, I got nothing left to say.  

Where we vary is I didn’t change my view based on whether or not the bengals made the comeback in week 17 when evaluating the bills season  — playoffs are fun for a fan but a mediocre benchmark for a demarcation between success and failure or ranking teams across years.

the 2017 bills were decent but nothing exceptional compared to many years. I don’t mean that as a big knock on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane moved players who were under-producing for the Bills and not trusting the process, and gained draft picks, good players, and cap space.  And they made the playoffs. 

Wait, what are you bitching about again?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Beane moved players who were under-producing for the Bills and not trusting the process, and gained draft picks, good players, and cap space.  And they made the playoffs. 

Wait, what are you bitching about again?

He doesn't like it. The process is taking too much time for him......

Beane, like most any other GM's, will have his fate decided by the QB he tabs as the future of the franchise. His other moves have been decent thus far. I wasn't a fan of trading Dareus nor Sammy at the time, but I understood. We'll see what happens in the next 4 months. 

And saved a ton of cap space while unloading players who lack the grit McBeane is looking for. All that great talent we lost and made the playoffs without them when we couldn't make it with them. Addition by subtraction in my book.