Beane's Transactions

Ittakestime

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting. I'm scanning the Bills roster as I don't recall seeing a WR that could be considered a replacement for Watkins. I still don't. 

Keep looking.  Start in the "B" section.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who? Gaines? 

Hes a FA and gets hurt every 10th snap when he actually is playing.

Gaines played in more games this past season than Darby did and the team did better with him in the lineup than without, unlike Darby.  And yes the Bills will have to re-sign him just like the Eagles will have to give Darby a large extension.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, Saosin said:

Begin rant. 

I haven't even read the rest of the thread yet but, seriously?! The influx of complete morons, which I assume is from the BBMB closing, is absolutely astounding. Here I am, thinking that the Sabres boards were bad. Nope. We make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and the trolls are still here, and predominantly moreso.

This might be my only post for the next 6 months because I don't post often, but honestly, how f'ing pathetic...utterly pathetic... is your life if you (a) get joy out of trolling a message board; and/or (b) honestly have this opinion after making the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and nearly beating an AFC championship team. 

It's like having your first child and saying "ugh, you're going to disappoint me so many times in the future with poor decisions, why did I even do this? Mistake." 

Get a freaking life. Too many of these posts lately. 

Rant over. 

Hiya,

You seem like a good fit for a project I am doing in which we will study and observe individuals who cannot learn or understand, no matter how many times the lesson is repeated. We will be focusing on those who seem predisposed to categorize people into groups despite very obvious evidence that their unshakable made up belief, could not be true.

We are on track to prove that this is an undetected brain disease much like Alzheimer's used to be. One chief feature we are all familiar with is the insistence on prejudging individuals such as is done with ethnicity, nationality, language spoken, color hair, presence or absence of freckles, preference of beer, message board origin, and so on.

The lucid among us are familiar with this trait being the root of nearly every war and of much of the other nonsensical and moronic human activities in history and continuing on to the present day.

Are you interested? There is compensation and we need only a very tiny amount of your brain tissue, which we will take from your ass.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article about Gettleman, mostly because it may give us a clue as to how Beane & McDermott will set up their board.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/dave-gettleman-is-changing-everything-about-the-giants-draft-process/

"Under Reese and Ross, the Giants were often drawn to height-weight-speed prospects who too frequently went bust rather than boom. It is believed Gettleman will bring the emphasis back to production on the field — stressing passion, desire and mechanics rather than raw talent."

On 1/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills make playoffs, break 17-year drought <drops the mike>.

It was great making the playoffs but if we look at all the different metrics, the 2017 Bills were probably one of the 5 or 6 worst Bills teams of the 17 year drought. Yet they were the team to break the drought. Go figure. The stars definitely aligned for us to make the final card seed. Just as people like to say you can't fire a new GM for poor performance after one year I also don't think you can determine a GM to be a success after one year.

The biggest reasons this team made the playoffs was the exceptional play out of our new safeties and new place kicker. I don't believe either of those moves were moves made by McBeane? If anything, this team possibly makes the wild card at 10-6 instead of 9-7 if they have Watkins this year. Now I'm not saying the trade from a long term perspective still wasn't a good one for us. But just in a one year time capsule, Watkins likely would have given our offense a big boost this season. We still have to see how many of these moves pan out. Where will the team go from here? 

Ultimately McBeane will be judged on whether or not he is able to find a franchise QB. Like many of the GMs before him. Or if he doesn't find a franchise QB but this team still competes and has another playoff appearance in the next 2 or 3 seasons I'd say he has performed well compared to our other GMs but maybe not well enough to stick around if we still don't have a franchise QB. 

On 1/26/2018 at 4:33 PM, McBean said:

How many drafts has he been the main guy in charge?

Is this thread a joke?

I think that is the point. Jury is still out on McBeane. Again, the three biggest reasons this team made the playoffs were Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and Stephen Hauschka. None of which were McBeane moves.

McBeane's legacy is all about how his draft picks will set us up for years to come. We have to wait and see if that comes through or not.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, Magox said:

Gaines and a 2nd for Watkins?   Bills have definitely gotten the better of that trade so far.  Gaines was a much more valuable player for us than Watkins was for them.  Plus who knows what the 2nd round pick will net.

That's not how you grade that trade. You can't grade it that way because the two teams run completely different offensive systems. Rams run a sophisticated passing attack that spreads the ball around. We ran a limited passing attack that tried to force the ball over and over again to Zay Jones. In our system forcing those passes to Watkins would have more likely than not made our offense measurably better this year. But again, the Watkins trade was also about long term contract status as well. In a one year time capsule it would have been better to have Watkins on the team this pas year. But 2018 and beyond maybe not. 

Obviously Beane and McD determined that Darby and Dareus were bad fits for the defense and/or (attitudinally) for the team.

Given Beane and McD gave us a cohesive, hard-fighting team that earned our first playoff birth in 17 years, I'm willing to cut them  a lot of slack right now.

I suspect that if we were in the meetings where these decisions were made, and knew/considered everything Beane & McD knew and considered, most of us would have agreed with these moves.  

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I thought this was a pretty interesting article about Gettleman, mostly because it may give us a clue as to how Beane & McDermott will set up their board.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/dave-gettleman-is-changing-everything-about-the-giants-draft-process/

"Under Reese and Ross, the Giants were often drawn to height-weight-speed prospects who too frequently went bust rather than boom. It is believed Gettleman will bring the emphasis back to production on the field — stressing passion, desire and mechanics rather than raw talent."

Nice find.  A Gettleman quote from the article:

“It’s actually something I learned in Carolina. There’s an old saying: Every man is my equal, in that I may learn from him. These guys taught me a different way of looking at it — not how to evaluate, not how to do it philosophically, but just a different way of setting up a board, and I think it’s terrific.’’

Presumably, this "terrific" way of setting up the board is the one Beane is using.

Edited by hondo in seattle

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Gaines played in more games this past season than Darby did and the team did better with him in the lineup than without, unlike Darby.  And yes the Bills will have to re-sign him just like the Eagles will have to give Darby a large extension.

Yep.  Based on 2017 alone Gaines and a 3rd for Darby (yes I know it wasn't a direct trade like that) would be a huge win for the Bills.  If both play out their contracts and don't re-sign then I guess 2 years of Darby vs 1 year of Gaines and a 3rd rounder tilts it back a little in Philly's favour.  But let's see what happens with the re-signings before we jump to conclusions. 

10 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I wanted Mahomes last yr i loved him.  I believe he will be great. Yes he hasn't done nothing yet . But in the finale he  looked the part playing basically 3 quarters throwing for 284yds 22-35 and a pk , 8.1 for attempt.  He also came in late and led a drive to win the gm after the Chiefs blew there lead. He did all this playing with the bkups vs the Broncos D on the road. Lost in the stats are some amazing plays he made with his arm. Yes he threw a ugly pk early in the gm but he bounced bk nicely and had a great gm.  Mahomes is the real deal. 

I am not going to sit here and pretend I know whether Pat M. is gonna  be a great qb or not....that would be foolish of me.

At the same time sir there is absolutely no body of work that you can point to and def say he is the real deal......I take absolutely no stock in passing yards keep that in mind because I consider this a worthless stat.....3rd down efficiency......plays when the game is on the line....points scored......accuracy......these are thins I consider important.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep.  Based on 2017 alone Gaines and a 3rd for Darby (yes I know it wasn't a direct trade like that) would be a huge win for the Bills.  If both play out their contracts and don't re-sign then I guess 2 years of Darby vs 1 year of Gaines and a 3rd rounder tilts it back a little in Philly's favour.  But let's see what happens with the re-signings before we jump to conclusions. 

Let's also see what becomes of that 3rd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Obviously Beane and McD determined that Darby and Dareus were bad fits for the defense and/or (attitudinally) for the team.

Given Beane and McD gave us a cohesive, hard-fighting team that earned our first playoff birth in 17 years, I'm willing to cut them  a lot of slack right now.

I suspect that if we were in the meetings where these decisions were made, and knew/considered everything Beane & McD knew and considered, most of us would have agreed with these moves.  

I get Dareus and attitude but Darby just finished a rookie season iirc. 

So attitude wise I don’t see the Darby link.   

Playing style possibly not attitude

imo.  

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I get Dareus and attitude but Darby just finished a rookie season iirc. 

So attitude wise I don’t see the Darby link.   

Playing style possibly not attitude

imo.  

Darby was a rookie in 2015.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Darby was a rookie in 2015.

7 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Your missing a year in there Shady...in which he Darby was god aweful

Thanks for the clarification.   

FWIW being awful is still a bit different than being a malcontent like Dareus has been.  

Missing meetings and failing annual drug tests.  

Somehow if Darby was a poor team mate I don’t recall.  

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Big difference in injuries. Darby had a serious freak ankle injury. Gaines was nicked up game to game. 

What does Darby have to do with Rex Ryan being absolutely awful as a head coach? 

It doesn't matter.  Gaines still played in more games than Darby did and made a far greater impact.

And Darby played under Rex and in the exact same system in 2015 and 2016.  He was by far the biggest disappointment last season. 

52 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks for the clarification.   

FWIW being awful is still a bit different than being a malcontent like Dareus has been.  

Missing meetings and failing annual drug tests.  

Somehow if Darby was a poor team mate I don’t recall.  

There was a report after he was traded that along with having a poor 2016 and not being a fit for the defense, he wasn't trusting the process.  I was surprised because it's not like he was a high draft pick/superstar. 

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And yet they are both in the 3rd round. Math. 

In other math the third round will likely encompass between 45-55 picks this year.   

So a late third rounder today becomes a mid-third rounder when the comp picks get assigned!

I think we should be beyond the point of valuing "rounds" but rather where the actual picks fall.   

Things did not go well for the Bills with regard to where the picks they acquired in trade fell.

Trading the pick instead of taking the QB was dumb, in your opinion and mine as well.........but trading with KC instead of Houston was also dumb when it happened..........not just in retrospect.

I want to know why everyone posting in this thread is not working for an NFL team, especially the OP.  Stunning to say the least. You all are frigging NFL genuises I tell you.  Brilliant!