Expiring Contracts... Who stays and who goes?

JPL7

7 minutes ago, JPL7 said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

I would be ok if all of the expiring deals were not brought back, outside of Kyle, Thompson, Gaines, Henderson, and perhaps Cadet, and maybe Brown and Matthews at the right prices. How about you guys?

bills contracts.PNG

Williams for one or two more years and Gains would be good signings.

Keepers -

Kyle - Pay cut though?
Humber - good depth
Webb - Versatile depth
Leonard Johnson - depth, good hitter
One of - Taiwan Jones/Travaris Cadet - potential, special teams
E.J Gaines - yes, but contract with incentives for time on the field
Seantrel Henderson - All the measurables are there if he's got the crones mostly tamed.

P Brown - only if he's cheap

• Like (+1) 1

I'd keep Gaines and Leonard Johnson. If Kyle would stay for half the money and fewer reps I'd bring him back, otherwise I would let him retire. 

There is a price at which I'd bring Preston back too but it isn't a very high price. It is the kind of "here is our offer, test the market and then if you want to come back to us the offer will still be here."

The rest can go. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd keep Gaines and Leonard Johnson. If Kyle would stay for half the money and fewer reps I'd bring him back, otherwise I would let him retire. 

There is a price at which I'd bring Preston back too but it isn't a very high price. It is the kind of "here is our offer, test the market and then if you want to come back to us the offer will still be here."

The rest can go. 

This. PBrown can go.

I think Brown has got better as the season has gone on. He might be lacking some speed, but he's a solid enough guy imho. We need some better depth anyway.

Gaines should be brought back, but at not too much money, as he's got injury concerns. Makes a difference when he's playing, but seems to get nicked up a lot.

I've been very underwhelmed by Matthews, but could see him retained if we get a new QB. I think someone offers too much to him to stay though, tbh.

Henderson I'd like to keep, but I don't know if he'd get a decent offer in FA or not. There's talent there, for all of his difficulties.

Kyle Williams would be a no brainer, but not at the same money.

Johnson is okay, and would be good depth, if we add another CB in the draft (and re-sign Gaines), but he also would have to be relatively cheap.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

This. PBrown can go.

I would not be upset for PBrown to go. I just think at a cheap price it is one fewer gap to fill and he is an adequate NFL starter. He is the typical low ceiling and high floor guy. I'd like to think overhauling the front 7 is a 1 year job but I suspect it takes 2 seasons. Brown might be a bridge option in one of those spots if the FA market for him is quiet. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would not be upset for PBrown to go. I just think at a cheap price it is one fewer gap to fill and he is an adequate NFL starter. He is the typical low ceiling and high floor guy. I'd like to think overhauling the front 7 is a 1 year job but I suspect it takes 2 seasons. Brown might be a bridge option in one of those spots if the FA market for him is quiet. 

I like the idea of trading Shaq & Washington for draft picks, letting PBrown & Henderson leave, and cutting John Miller outright. O'Leary can stay. :D

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

I like the idea of trading Shaq & Washington for draft picks, letting PBrown & Henderson leave, and cutting John Miller outright. O'Leary can stay. :D

While I see where you are going with that.... and I am not necessarily sure it will be those players... I do think they are not done trying to trade players for picks.

Shaq, Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes and Clay are all possible trade pieces. 

29 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Keepers -

Kyle - Pay cut though?
Humber - good depth
Webb - Versatile depth
Leonard Johnson - depth, good hitter
One of - Taiwan Jones/Travaris Cadet - potential, special teams
E.J Gaines - yes, but contract with incentives for time on the field
Seantrel Henderson - All the measurables are there if he's got the crones mostly tamed.

P Brown - only if he's cheap

About right

With a halfway decent QB, Jordan Matthews can be at the very least really solid, if not really good.

E.J. Gaines was the forgotten man on the defense.  When we didn't have him, we were in trouble, and QBs threw in that direction.

I love Kyle Williams, but he's declined.  He would be more of a nostalgia signing than a good player signing.

Beyond that, everyone else is forgettable.  Anyone else we resigned should be a cheap, depth signing more than anything.  Anything more, and they're not worth it.

1 hour ago, Haplo848 said:

With a halfway decent QB, Jordan Matthews can be at the very least really solid, if not really good.

E.J. Gaines was the forgotten man on the defense.  When we didn't have him, we were in trouble, and QBs threw in that direction.

I love Kyle Williams, but he's declined.  He would be more of a nostalgia signing than a good player signing.

Beyond that, everyone else is forgettable.  Anyone else we resigned should be a cheap, depth signing more than anything.  Anything more, and they're not worth it.

Maybe you forgot about him , but don't lump the rest of us in the group of fans not paying attention.

Gaines is the only one and they will let him walk

The rest are table scraps that have no impact on the team/game

Kyle was average all year. I would bring him back for DT rotation.  If not that leaves yet another hold to fill on front 7. Only Hughes, Lawson, and Milano are sure starters. The rest will be replaced.

17 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

That would be the opposite of forgotten. We were all aware when Gaines didn't play

19 hours ago, bills in oregon said:

Brown is not flashy body was leading  NFL in tackles and has been calling the plays since he got here.

I like Brown also.  Not flash, but solid MLB.   If we can keep him at a reasonable # he opens up the ability to draft OLB's.  

Only two I would be upset at not seeing back are Gaines and Matthews.  After that, getting Cadet, P. Brown, Henderson, and D. Thompson would be a bonus.  I see some of the other "role players" coming back also.  

If K. Williams does not retire I'd love to have him back, but not at his current price.  

All in all not a bad FA class for the Bills to be worried about.  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

that's a bizzare take, IMO.  Why wouldn't they keep him.  Would he take a paycut to stay here?  Who could they get in FA that is as good as him.  If they can swap him for someone younger then fine, but hoping for a G in the draft is risky.  Why make a hole when you don't need to.