Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

I'm not going to celebrate because I'm not crazy about the move, but I think this tells us two things: 1) Taylor simply isn't going to be highly productive in a standard-issue NFL offense that isn't tailored to his skills, and 2) we have a crappy offensive coordinator who is ten steps down from Greg Roman in terms of adaptability and cleverness. I've thought this for a while, and this sort of confirms it. Hopefully Peterman can make this offense work. My guess is that we have Trevor Simien Mach II on our hands, but I also think they're going to draft a QB in round one.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Longtime Tyrod defender, but I love this move.  Last week was the final straw.  Tyrod isn't good enough.  Find out what you have in Peterman now.  If he does well, great you make the playoffs and really are off an running for the future (should still grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to develop as a hedge) but if fails, your draft slot goes up, and you know it's time to trade in all those picks for THE GUY, whoever that may be.  This is not an EJ / Geno year....there are multiple QBs worth a bundle of picks in this draft.  FINALLY it looks like this front office has a good long term plan.  

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Just dont be stupid and because of a couple weeks of decent play not take a QB early next year. 

STILL DRAFT A QB EARLY

I think they are all in on the QB this year. They have reportedly been one of the most active nfl team in terms of scouting QBs.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

The last 2 games were were just atrocious and I realize that changing the QB is the most impactful spark but that was far from the biggest problem (especially in the Jets game). Maybe that’s the point that it doesn’t matter who is out there because we can’t stop anybody so let’s get a look at Peterman. From my perspective they should have waited until they were out. A win this week and they would have been very much alive (and still are). 

I said the exact same thing, to wait until they are 5-6 or 5-7 if that was the case. But the more I think of it, the more I think they needed to make this change. Tyrod isn't suited for his offence

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think they are all in on the QB this year. They have reportedly been one of the most active nfl team in terms of scouting QBs.

yup, and perhaps they're grooming Peterman to be the longtime capable backup. He's a lot cheaper than Taylor and under control for three more years after this one.

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Just a horrible move all around. I'm laughing at the Bills now. Amazing. 

All they had had to do was !@#$ing roll Tyrod out. Run the read option. But no. We have Denison back there, trying to play like it's 1999.

And how many games did we win doing that?   Tyrod is a back up quarterback plain and simple.  Much rather play like its 1999 than 1977 trying to run the ball and win with defense.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I have serious doubts about their evaluation skills given the offseason and the trades they made.

If they think they are better without Dareus EVEN WITH the past two games of getting gashed for almost 500 yards rushing they are clowns.

Oh I agree with those 2 points. My point is I don't think they would trade a 3rd and 7th for Benjamin if they were tanking

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I hope so. But you know past regimes have made this mistake ***cough cough*** Edwards and it has come back to bite them. 

Stick with the plan NO Matter what Peterman does. DRAFT A QB

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I said the exact same thing, to wait until they are 5-6 or 5-7 if that was the case. But the more I think of it, the more I think they needed to make this change. Tyrod isn't suited for his offence

I don’t disagree but they were the top scoring offense through 16 weeks last year. IMO, that’s a massive indictment on this offense. Why would you run “your offense” instead of an offense that was really successful? That’s foolish. That’s Rex Ryanesque

Just now, dave mcbride said:

yup, and perhaps they're grooming Peterman to be the longtime capable backup. He's a lot cheaper than Taylor and under control for three more years after this one.

They should concentrate on a starter before worrying about a backup

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I have serious doubts about their evaluation skills given the offseason and the trades they made.

If they think they are better without Dareus EVEN WITH the past two games of getting gashed for almost 500 yards rushing they are clowns.

Long term, they're looking to get better LONG TERM - it's pretty clear they didn't want Dareus rubbing off on any of the new players that will be brought in next year! :beer:

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree but they were the top scoring offense through 16 weeks last year. IMO, that’s a massive indictment on this offense. Why would you run “your offense” instead of an offense that was really successful? That’s foolish. That’s Rex Ryanesque

100 percent agree with that. Don't have to tell me twice that Dennison is an idiot haha

Run, Run 3rd and long and punt is Dennisons playbook.

Roman was light years better then Dennison. 

Are you sure?  Or is this the playbook for a Flawed QB that cant execute the simplest concept of a West Coast Offense??

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The last 2 games were were just atrocious and I realize that changing the QB is the most impactful spark but that was far from the biggest problem (especially in the Jets game). Maybe that’s the point that it doesn’t matter who is out there because we can’t stop anybody so let’s get a look at Peterman. From my perspective they should have waited until they were out. A win this week and they would have been very much alive (and still are). 

I feel like the D quit in those games. They stopped people before. There's not much other explanation for 14 YPC with 8 in the box as per Rodak. It's too separate issues anyway. I'm sure they will try to fix the D. How do you fix Tyrod when every team is going to keep him in the pocket from now on ? Is making a QB change when you are out of the playoffs acceptable? Or should they try to win while they have a shot? 

It's this simple.  Despite all the captain checkdown talk Tyrod's best throws were deep throws.  Problem is they traded away all the deep speed and left him with a bunch of undersized TE's at WR.  Then mix in that the running game is not working and now teams are playing coverage.  Instead of 3rd and 4 where they are afraid of the run and Taylor can get passes off downfield, run, or actually check it down and still have a chance to pick up a first we are consistently in 3rd and long, frequently double digit long, and there just isn't anywhere to work the ball and the pocket is collapsing too fast.  I really don't think Peterman will have any better success.  Both QB's are shackled by this ****ty running attack and an  o-line that too frequently let's at least on defender run untouched into the backfield.  This is on the coaching.  I hope Peterman proves me wrong but I largely think until they replace Dennison neither QB will do that well.  It's going to look like the 0rton year all over again except with a rookie.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I hope so. But you know past regimes have made this mistake ***cough cough*** Edwards and it has come back to bite them. 

Stick with the plan NO Matter what Peterman does. DRAFT A QB

I agree, but Peterman determines who and where they will target a QB IMO.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

It's no different.

same situation just on offense this year as opposed to defense the last two.

As has been said several times, Pegula doesn't have a clue.

how on Earth is Pegula responsible for benching Tyrod?

Absolutely.

Would it really shock you if they didn't given how many holes they have(and created) on this team?

Nothing shocks me with the Bills anymore. It will be a horrible mistake. Their plan obviously has been get enough capital to get a QB early. 

Nothing and i mean nothing should change that

About .500 because the defense was down right awful.

The defense was never downright awful.   They were middle of the road with Rex, and have had a few bad games this year, just like defenses always always do.  The Patriots defense is horrendous, Pittsburgh was terrible for the better part of the last five years.   Defense doesnt win you anything!   You have to stop waiting for the anomaly like the Jaguars this year, and start understanding what wins in the NFL and Tyrod Freaking Taylor is not it.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

100 percent agree with that. Don't have to tell me twice that Dennison is an idiot haha

agree with this

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Are you sure?  Or is this the playbook for a Flawed QB that cant execute the simplest concept of a West Coast Offense??

he cant, but he should not be asked too. But something had to change, and it was either QB or scheme. 

Little surprised they did ahead of the game.  I said a bunch on here I thought they would maybe make a switch at halftime if Taylor struggled again, but I think after seeing the ball come out quick last week with Peterman was probably the difference maker.

I am excited that I will be at the game first hand for what could be the beginning of a new Era for the Bills...of course it could also be like the Niner game I went to and had to sit through Todd Collins as well haha.  I have liked Peterman all along, so I am looking forward to seeing what he can do in meaningful minutes.

#GoBills 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I feel like the D quit in those games. They stopped people before. There's not much other explanation for 14 YPC with 8 in the box as per Rodak. It's too separate issues anyway. I'm sure they will try to fix the D. How do you fix Tyrod when every team is going to keep him in the pocket from now on ? Is making a QB change when you are out of the playoffs acceptable? Or should they try to win while they have a shot? 

Hey man, I may not know much, but I know one thing. With a man like Kyle Williams on defense, he won't allow anyone to quit. I don't think they quit and I can't figure out what's wrong with the D but I know we have to clean it up. But quitting isn't the reason. That much Im sure of.

Tyrod played AWFUL against the Saints. He played solid against the Jets.... so essentially one awful game against the Saints and he gets the pull. 

Good coaches fit their playbook to the players they have.

I recall Dennison saying in the offseason he didn't care what we did on offense last year.... great!

Exactly. He should have played the cards he got dealt. But he tried to change their somewhat successful offence the past 2 years, into something they are not

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

agree with this

he cant, but he should not be asked too. But something had to change, and it was either QB or scheme. 

And it was the QB if that QB cant grasp a Modern passing concept he needs to be on the bench

Just now, MAJBobby said:

If any of Peterman’s play in the final weeks take them off a QB early then yes they are still idiots 

Sort of premature to say that...I mean, what if the Bills go 5-2 the rest of the way, make the playoffs, and Peterman is a prime reason why?  Not saying it will happen but you're sort of putting yourself in a box there.