Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod played AWFUL against the Saints. He played solid against the Jets.... so essentially one awful game against the Saints and he gets the pull. 

Good coaches fit their playbook to the players they have.

I recall Dennison saying in the offseason he didn't care what we did on offense last year.... great!

It was more than one horrible game it was THREE years of tape and Zero progression. A .500 QB at his ceiling 

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

It's this simple.  Despite all the captain checkdown talk Tyrod's best throws were deep throws.  Problem is they traded away all the deep speed and left him with a bunch of undersized TE's at WR.  Then mix in that the running game is not working and now teams are playing coverage.  Instead of 3rd and 4 where they are afraid of the run and Taylor can get passes off downfield, run, or actually check it down and still have a chance to pick up a first we are consistently in 3rd and long, frequently double digit long, and there just isn't anywhere to work the ball and the pocket is collapsing too fast.  I really don't think Peterman will have any better success.  Both QB's are shackled by this ****ty running attack and an  o-line that too frequently let's at least on defender run untouched into the backfield.  This is on the coaching.  I hope Peterman proves me wrong but I largely think until they replace Dennison neither QB will do that well.  It's going to look like the 0rton year all over again except with a rookie.

Nimrod has no anticipation of a WR coming out of his break and being open.  If nobody is wide open, he waits and waits... maybe runs, checks it down or gets sacked.  Peterman may not be the answer but Tyrod certainly isn't either.  They have nothing to lose making the change NOW.

Edited by Azucho98

It's plain and simple.  Teams are now keeping Tyrod in the pocket about 95% of the time.  Tyrod is not a good pocket passer.  Nathan is a good pocket passer.  Done deal.  I give McD huge props for doing the right thing, now, before the season is officially in exhibition mode.   I also like the idea of Tyrod coming off the bench if something happens to Nate.  He's probably more effective off the bench and less pressure.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Run, Run 3rd and long and punt is Dennisons playbook.

Roman was light years better then Dennison. 

Scott, I agree that Roman was a much better OC. He could work with what you had at QB and minimize his flaws. But honestly, I think that 3rd and long is what you get in a WCO with a QB that just won't throw the ball. Dennison is a one style , limited OC. But it's what I thought from the start. Their MO will be " run THIS offense". And if you can't, they'll try to find someone who can. 

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's plain and simple.  Teams are now keeping Tyrod in the pocket about 95% of the time.  Tyrod is not a good pocket passer.  Nathan is a good pocket passer.  Done deal.  I give McD huge props for doing the right thing, now, before the season is officially in exhibition mode.   I also like the idea of Tyrod coming off the bench if something happens to Nate.  He's probably more effective off the bench and less pressure.

+1 to both points

Finally, a QB who can:  1) see over the top of the O line between the tackles, 2) throw an accurate ball on time between 10 and 20 yards, and 3) won't collapse the pocket on himself by abandoning the protection too early every drop back.  Sure, he's a 5th rounder, but at least these differences give me hope for the passing game (and I think if we could convince any opponents that we may be able to pass, perhaps things would loosen up for Shady as well).

Just now, eball said:

Sort of premature to say that...I mean, what if the Bills go 5-2 the rest of the way, make the playoffs, and Peterman is a prime reason why?  Not saying it will happen but you're sort of putting yourself in a box there.

Because then you pass on what you deem is a Franchise QB and the NFL uses all offseason to study Peterman (who will be playing with ZERO tape on him) and then he goes Fitz like you just wasted another year. 

Get your early QB. That has been your plan stick with it. A competition between two young QBs in offseason with best starting is NOT a bad thing 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I feel like the D quit in those games. They stopped people before. There's not much other explanation for 14 YPC with 8 in the box as per Rodak. It's too separate issues anyway. I'm sure they will try to fix the D. How do you fix Tyrod when every team is going to keep him in the pocket from now on ? Is making a QB change when you are out of the playoffs acceptable? Or should they try to win while they have a shot? 

I just ask the same question I asked earlier, “how were they leading the league in scoring through 16 weeks last year?” My answer would be, “do more of what you were doing then.”  You fit your scheme to your talent not the other way around. The Bills have failed miserably with that on offense and it’s shaping up to look the same on the other side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, he will be starting next year somewhere and if he succeeds, believe me you will have so many people telling you “I told you so.” That’s how it always works. It’s the same way after any ex-Bills players has a big game.

Just like Fitz, sure man keep holding out hope for him but the COT is officially done in Buffalo IMO. The Rex era is over

1 minute ago, Thurman Kelly said:

Finally, a QB who can:  1) see over the top of the O line between the tackles, 2) throw an accurate ball on time between 10 and 20 yards, and 3) won't collapse the pocket on himself by abandoning the protection too early every drop back.  Sure, he's a 5th rounder, but at least these differences give me hope for the passing game (and I think if we could convince any opponents that we may be able to pass, perhaps things would loosen up for Shady as well).

Peterman is exactly 1 inch taller than Tyrod, but whatever.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

?

Tyrod isn't Tom Brady dude. Good luck finding him. 

The anomaly that is the Jags defense under Marrone.... the last time we had a good defense was under who?

Agreed Tyrod isnt Brady.   But you dont need Brady you could even have Dalton and make it to the playoffs without a great defense.   Tyrod is a bottom tier NFL starting quarterback who really should be a backup somewhere.

On the Marrone tip, you do know he is an offensive coach right?  Giving him any credit for his defense is an atrocious take.   I am willing to bet anything the Jaguars fall off majorly next year when Andrew Luck and Deshaun Watson are back and they have to play a 1st place schedule. 

Just now, xRUSHx said:

Just like Fitz, sure man keep holding out hope for him but the COT is officially done in Buffalo IMO. The Rex era is over

I agree that Tyrod is done in Buffalo but will be surprised if he isn’t starting somewhere next year with Denver as my guess. If he plays well you will hear it. It’s the same thing with Dareus. How many people (including me) have been saying “I told you so” regarding the regression of the run defense? 

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

Nimrod has no anticipation of a WR coming out of his break and being open.  If nobody is wide open, he waits and waits... maybe runs, checks it down or gets sacked.  Peterman may not be the answer but Tyrod certainly isn't either.

I see this all the time after loses.  Kind of the anti Taylor sing song.  Fact is the guy scored points to the tune of 25ppg.  If you are calling crappy running plays and end up in 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 12 every time then it makes the passing game look much harder than it should be.  If Dennison wasn't so awful at getting the running game going any QB, Peterman included, would look like Jim Kelly all over again.  Until our coaches get their crap straight and get an effective game plan the passing will suffer.  Look at other teams.  They scheme guys open and the throws are easy.  People here are bitching because Taylor isn't throwing it into double coverage.  It shouldn't be so hard.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just ask the same question I asked earlier, “how were they leading the league in scoring through 16 weeks last year?” My answer would be, “do more of what you were doing then.”  You fit your scheme to your talent not the other way around. The Bills have failed miserably with that on offense and it’s shaping up to look the same on the other side of the ball. 

I have no problem with that, but I knew from the jump that it's not what this staff will do. As soon as the OL coach changed and the scheme as well you knew that running game was gone. They got rid of the deep threat Watkins as well. They just weren't going to be running last years O. Dennison is not the creative type that Roman was. They simply saw Tyrod and a bridge QB and gave him a prove it deal to show he could be a pocket passer. But McD watched those films I'm sure. He also knows what kind of defensive scheme they will see with Taylor going forward. He simply doesn't believe Tyrod can beat anyone from the pocket. How do you stop teams from playing the DL that way unless Taylor shows he can beat it? The team was at a crossroads and starting Taylor was just going to yield a loss at this point. 

So funny to hear some of the National media.  They hate the move because of the timing.  They other reason they hate the move is because no one has ever heard of Nate Peterman and he doesn't inspire confidence.  Seriously?  Did anyone really know Dak Prescott?  How does anyone know much about any QB until they start playing.  One good thing about starting him now is the week right after a historically bad QB performance by Tyrod.   He won't look worse than that.  He may not light it up but he won't be worse, lol.

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

What makes you think that? Has he ever said anything bad in his 2.5 years in Buffalo?

Say what you want about his play, but he seems like a professional and classy guy

Well for his sake let's hope he doesn't turn his benching into something racial - as he was recently with his critics.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Peterman is exactly 1 inch taller than Tyrod, but whatever.

It's about posture and throw prep as well.  Ever watched how Drew Brees does it?  He actually drives upward as he throws to get a little elevation when he throws over the middle.  Check it out.

3 minutes ago, BobC said:

Make Tyrod a slot receiver.  He's physical enough, he knows the play book and at the appropriate times he could be a modified wildcat QB.

but he's not a receiver....we should make McCoy the QB, Tolbert a DL....and Hughes a TE

One snap can put Nate on the sidelines and Tyrod back in.  So don't forget about him - or get all jacked up.

I think this is a bold move - and this team needs a spark.  I am very curious about the locker room atmosphere.  From what I've seen of TT, I bet he's being very positive about it.

I think it's the right move and the right time - This is one of the softer games left on the schedule - and he won't have the added pressure of playing in front of the home team.

Go Bills.

Edited by MTBill
correct grammar

22 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

or it could rejuvenate it?

I gained more hope with the decision, I was beyond tired of seeing taylor under center. whether it backfires or turns the offense around remains to be seen.

right. it's a no lose situation at this point.

there is still time to salvage the season if Peterman shines. conversely if Peterman peters out, then we know what needs to be done in the draft or free agency next year. 

win-win all the way around. there is a bonus as well,  but i won't go into that.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1