Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

I just finished watching McD's presser.  One thing he said, that is not being discussed much, is he emphasized how this move is a "calculated risk".

He weighed all the possibilities and pulled the trigger.  He knows this is risky and did it anyways.  I like that.

At the very least we will see what Dennison's play calling looks like with a pocket QB.

Also, we can see what our WRs can do (or not do).

Should be interesting Sunday afternoon!

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not sure I follow the logic here. Are you suggesting that because he hasn't shown much of anything in the way of fixing a broken run defense that he shouldn't make a QB switch? 

As for highs and lows, I think he's been pretty steady. That loss hurt on Sunday; it was of historic proportions so I can understand the low there but I suspect he made the film study in a rational way and didn't make the switch out of some sense of desperation. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but I just don't get the vibe that he's a knee-jerk reactionary. 

Not sure I follow the idea of changing the offensive strategy a few times in one season, either. Game plans tend to be different each week for every team as it is. I think he made a good decision to consult his OLine about using more of the zone concepts they preferred from last season as that helped the running game afterward for a few games and they've continued to try to establish the run game. They didn't get away from wanting to establish TT as a pocket passer so they've been consistent in that regard, too. Maybe I'm not understanding your comment so if you can point to a couple specifics it might help. 

For example the first couple games they ran what seemed like what they ran the last few weeks. My guys and others here were screaming to play to TT's strengths a little more and run what I called the Jake Plummer offense. In the games 3-5 or so, they started to do that and we did pretty well. They ran a lot of boots and rollouts and some designed QB runs. We didn't score a lot but our offense moved. Then for an unknown reason they abandoned it. We did pretty well against the Raiders from the pocket. Then the first play of the Jet game they tried a naked boot and he got killed. And from then on pretty much everything has been from the pocket, with disastrous results. They should have ran the Jake Plummer offense from the start and continued it on. It was ridiculous to not let TT do what he does best and help the offense best, regardless of their plans for 2018 and beyond. 

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Gillislee sat because he wasnt part of this particular gameplan. There will be games where he will be used quite often. Pats gameplans are team specific. They dressedb4 rbs and 4 te's last week

Sorry dude, that is not true. In the last 7 weeks of the season (that is all but 2 games this year) MG has averaged 34 yards/game. He has had 0 TDs in 7 weeks and his

biggest game in that 7-week span was 54 total yards from scrimmage. Not to mention that he has hardly played since fumbling the ball 3 or 4 weeks ago. BB doesn't like fumbles. It had nothing to do with the gameplan...MG just has not been good in NE.

As to the switch to Peterman, earlier this week I was going to post that "despite having been a Tyrod supporter, after watching both QBs play against NO, I too finally admit that it may be time for a change." I was just so disgusted with the loss that I didn't even bother posting anything. So, I am totally on board with this move at this point.

Looks like its time to change my avatar again. (I should try putting Tom Brady as my avatar because whoever I have chosen over the last few years ends up failing).

It really comes down to, as most people have said, Tyrod's risk averse nature (I'd rather see Fitz throwing INTs while attempting a comeback, than a QB who doesn't even try to make a comeback) and teams realizing that if they keep him in the pocket, he'll struggle (CAR, CIN, NYJ, NO). Maybe not every team has the front 7 to do that, but enough do who can make Tyrod disappear. Which means if we fall behind, the game is over.

His main assets have been low turnovers, his running ability, and his deep ball. The last two years he was averaging 40 yards rushing a game. This year he is averaging 26 yards a game and he only has two games where he rushed for 50+ yards. He was on pace for 5 throws of 40+ yards or more this season, in 2016 he had 7 and in 2015 he had 11. So, his strengths have been minimized this season, while his weaknesses (holding the ball too long, not anticipating throws, not allowing his receivers the ability for YAC, inconsistency on intermediate throws) have continued or gotten worse. I really expected Tyrod to take a step forward this year and up until the Jets game was still hoping he could...I was wrong!

It's a tough move to make at this point in the season, but really, it's the only chance to keep this season alive. I give McD credit for having the guts to pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

For example the first couple games they ran what seemed like what they ran the last few weeks. My guys and others here were screaming to play to TT's strengths a little more and run what I called the Jake Plummer offense. In the games 3-5 or so, they started to do that and we did pretty well. They ran a lot of boots and rollouts and some designed QB runs. We didn't score a lot but our offense moved. Then for an unknown reason they abandoned it. We did pretty well against the Raiders from the pocket. Then the first play of the Jet game they tried a naked boot and he got killed. And from then on pretty much everything has been from the pocket, with disastrous results. They should have ran the Jake Plummer offense from the start and continued it on. It was ridiculous to not let TT do what he does best and help the offense best, regardless of their plans for 2018 and beyond. 

I'll agree to disagree but I understand the point about playing to TT's strengths more often. I just don't think you can make a consistent living doing that and it's a good way to get your QB killed, too. Especially after getting rid of his only legit deep threat on the outside. And I happen to think getting rid of Sammy was a big mistake at least in terms of talent; he's a star, imo. But I can see the money question being a concern there.  Bottom line? The coaches prefer a better fit for their preferred offensive vision and I can respect that. Their desired playbook is too limited when the QB can't operate from the pocket and get the ball out on time. I can't be too critical of their decision to seek a better fit if they're convinced it's the best move at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

more food for thought... 

DOsDLsmWAAETd3N.jpg:large

So Tyrod who never throws to his receivers throws more to his receivers than Mariota. And Im suppossed to care about this why exactly? It tells me Mariota is even more conservative than Tyrod? Why dont we figure out what Tyrod does in the 6th minute of the 2nd quarter. Maybe that will tell us why hes great.

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

Wow ........... read it.  Seems many will not like it.  Change for change sake is frequently not a good idea.  We should have kept the offense and fixed the defense.  Now we are fixing everything and seemingly have little idea what actually works.

6 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

I think what sealed Taylor's fate was talking to the press after the game. Also, its nice to be excited about a Bills game again!

agreed. the fact he said that he didnt play for the fans or the city of buffalo, or the entire organization, was bizarre. Showed his immaturity and lack of leadership. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

Looking at Dennison and Roman it is easy to see who's better at scoring points.  Roman's offenses have frequently been 24 or better ppg and Dennison had one season over 23.  We are essentially moving away from a higher scoring offense.  Even with frequently injured WR's, RB's, and TE's the offense of the last 2 years outscored every single offense Dennison has ever fielded except one.

I just watched NP's presser and I was impressed. He just doesn't come off to me as a rookie and it got me to thinking.

The majority of the discussion (nationally and locally) has been about Tyrod. He is a polarizing player and statistically the decision to bench him doesn't make sense if looked at in a vacuum. Many in the national media are shouting that the Bills have no idea what they are doing. I think this decision has less to do with Tyrod and more to do with Peterman.

If you go back and watch the preseason games, NP outplayed TT. I know he was playing against 3rd and 4th's but he came in early in the Ravens game and played very well. The guy has an MBA from Pitt, played in a pro-style offense in college and the only real knock on him coming out was that he had a weak arm. McD and his crew have been able to evaluate him for over 3 months and even though they have an average (statistically) starter they are making this move.

McD himself called this a calculated risk. You do not take a risk like this unless you have seen the potential reward. McD believes that this kid is our best QB and I can not wait to see how it unfolds.

TAYLOR TAKES ROLE OF GOOD SOLDIER IN WAKE OF QB CHANGE

1115-tyrod-recap.jpg

Tyrod Taylor was disappointed by the news he was handed on Tuesday that he was being benched, but he's committed to handling it like a true professional.

TAYLOR: "I WANT TO SEE THIS TEAM DO WELL" (10:52)

Bills QB Tyrod Taylor talks to the media prior to the team's practice and discusses his thoughts on Nathan Peterman being named the starting QB for this week's game against the Chargers.

NATHAN PETERMAN: "KEEP GETTING BETTER" (10:09)

Quarterback Nathan Peterman addressed the media following practice topics include; being named the starting quarterback, looking to veterans for help, and what he expects in his first start.

MCCOY: "WE'RE GOING TO SUPPORT HIM" (8:42)

Bills RB LeSean McCoy talks to the media following the team's practice. McCoy discusses Nathan Peterman being named starting QB against the Chargers and what it will be like facing former coach Anthony Lynn.

NATHAN PETERMAN: "I HAVE TO EARN IT EVERYDAY" (6:27)

Bills QB Nathan Peterman joined us in-studio to talk about learning he'd be the new starting quarterback, his journey getting to this point, and preparing for the game this Sunday against the Chargers.

26 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

So Tyrod who never throws to his receivers throws more to his receivers than Mariota. And Im suppossed to care about this why exactly? It tells me Mariota is even more conservative than Tyrod? Why dont we figure out what Tyrod does in the 6th minute of the 2nd quarter. Maybe that will tell us why hes great.

All i said was food for thought

I'm for winning... I personally thought TT gave them the best chance, but im not in the film room or at practice or in the locker room.  If they think NP gives them the best chance, then go for it.

6 hours ago, billspro said:

I honestly think this gives us the best chance to win. Defenses have figured out how to stop Tyrod. Peterman is smart and get the ball out quick. Hopefully we can watch a game without 3 and outs on Sunday for once.

Yes, in the last 2 games, the opposing defense did a great job of containing Tyrod in the pocket and he failed.  It's somewhat amazing he's held up this long. I know a QB's size can be overcome (Brees), but you see him in a post game press conference without jersey and pads and he looks so small. I think his listed height and weight of 6-1, 215 may have been padded.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pretty accurate.

Except that Taylor IS the QB who dumps it off on 3rd and 15 so they go 3 and out and punt the ball.  In multiple offenses under multiple coaches Taylor has repeatedly been the QB of an offense that was near the top (bottom?) of the league in 3 and outs. A few highlight reel runs doesn't make him a constantly good QB.

I do feel badly for TT in that they didn't even try to run an offense that his skillset was made for. They forced him into Dennison's O despite it not being a mesh for TT. That being said, that's obviously not the O they want to run, so find a guy who can run it the way you want it run.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

And again, all this goes back to Pegula not having a clue. 

I dont really agree with the hot takes of the article at all.  The players they jettisoned have all been here through the faillings.  Darues lost his desire, he may get it back but it was lost here.  Watkins and Darby for Matthews and Gaines plus a 2 and 3 equals a net gain to me.  Jones was a project of a previous scouting department and Ragland isnt who he was a year ago and doesnt fit the defense.  

Taylor got exposed by a generic defense.  Taylor made the Saints look like the 2000's Tampabay Bucs.  The book has been out on the scheme for a decade and Taylor looked lost.  That is why he is on the bench.  No white vs balck. or mobile vs pocket passer.  

the bleacherreport article makes me think the guy who wrote it  hasnt watched Taylor play at all.    This crap has been goin on since he arrived here.  He hasnt progressed.   Defenses know how to take him out of the game.  If u cant pass with any kind of regularity,  u cant be a QB in this league,  end of story.    You can be the best athlete on the field,  run around like crazy,  but you still have to complete passes.

the goal is to win a championship,  not just make the playoffs.    Crap game manager QBs, can def make the playoffs,  they dont seem to win though.   Passing,  its what a QB is there for.   We already have a running back.

• Like (+1) 1

Dumb move, just plain dumb.   Yes, Taylor looked bad but the offensive line and defense are atrocious over the last two weeks.

This might make sense if we were 2-7 but this is a 5-4 team and they are starting a 5th round rookie who barely has 50% completions when playing in preseason and garbage time.     Taylor needs to get better, but the line has been disgraceful over the last two games, at least Taylor can run,  Peterman stands no chance behind that turnstile factory. 

Despite the rough last two weeks, Buffalo could potentially beat fellow wild card contender San Diego, be 6-4 and right back in the thick of the hunt with four division games left.   That is not a time to mail it in.  This is going to backfire big time.    

Just now, dgrochester55 said:

Dumb move, just plain dumb.   Yes, Taylor looked bad but the offensive line and defense are atrocious over the last two weeks.

This might make sense if we were 2-7 but this is a 5-4 team and they are starting a 5th round rookie who barely has 50% completions when playing in preseason and garbage time.     Taylor needs to get better, but the line has been disgraceful over the last two games, at least Taylor can run,  Peterman stands no chance behind that turnstile factory. 

Despite the rough last two weeks, Buffalo could potentially beat fellow wild card contender San Diego, be 6-4 and right back in the thick of the hunt with four division games left.   That is not a time to mail it in.  This is going to backfire big time.    

we were winning despite Taylor...

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

Except that Taylor IS the QB who dumps it off on 3rd and 15 so they go 3 and out and punt the ball.  In multiple offenses under multiple coaches Taylor has repeatedly been the QB of an offense that was near the top (bottom?) of the league in 3 and outs. A few highlight reel runs doesn't make him a constantly good QB.

I do feel badly for TT in that they didn't even try to run an offense that his skillset was made for. They forced him into Dennison's O despite it not being a mesh for TT. That being said, that's obviously not the O they want to run, so find a guy who can run it the way you want it run.

That's the only part of the article I find the least bit inaccurate tho........hence pretty accurate.

I think this season has been something of a battle of wills between Taylor and McD..........McD was initially leery about letting him go but has been undermining him at every turn since.

It's like McD was testing him.......but unaware that Taylor knew it.   It's been bizarre.

Trading Watkins the day after he and Taylor were going off in the preseason in Dennison's new system was one of the strangest scenarios I have ever witnessed unfold and that's saying something when Ralph Wilson was the owner for parts of 6 decades. :lol:

9 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I keep hearing this 5th round rookie bs... Ask New England how that worked out for them... Brady was a 6th round, 2nd year QB, who had gone 1/3 the previous year.

Thats 1 completeion and 3 attempts FYI

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe there are some examples out there, but I can’t think of another front office that made so many bold moves so quickly. They are NOT afraid to act on what they think. Now....how does it turn out? 

The only one that comes to mind, unfortunately, is the Chip Kelly Eagles FO. 

19 minutes ago, MDH said:

Taylor is not traditionally a dump-off passer; his ypa is actually pretty good and he has pushed the ball down the field in the past. The last two games have been different, but they don't represent the norm.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The only one that comes to mind, unfortunately, is the Chip Kelly Eagles FO. 

Well, didn’t he have 10 win seasons back to back before.....going all Chip Kelly?

This is my glass half full side working hard. 

15 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

the bleacherreport article makes me think the guy who wrote it  hasnt watched Taylor play at all.    This crap has been goin on since he arrived here.  He hasnt progressed.   Defenses know how to take him out of the game.  If u cant pass with any kind of regularity,  u cant be a QB in this league,  end of story.    You can be the best athlete on the field,  run around like crazy,  but you still have to complete passes.

the goal is to win a championship,  not just make the playoffs.    Crap game manager QBs, can def make the playoffs,  they dont seem to win though.   Passing,  its what a QB is there for.   We already have a running back.

Actually, as I mention above, he HAS changed in recent weeks to being a more dump-off oriented passer. He wasn't in the past. 

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The Tyrod Taylor era is officially over. Best of luck to Peterman!

Also, can someone do a welfare check on transplant please? 

I just saw this.

I'm here and good, bro  :thumbsup:

I like Tyrod, but I'm a Bills fan.  Taylor and the entire team were just awful on Sunday.  I like this move because (I hope) McDermott views this as a necessary shot in the arm for a team still in playoff contention.

But everyone who wanted Tyrod out wins.

Good for you guys!!! 0:)

#prayingforPeterman