Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

I’ve been ready to move on from Tyrod for months. But this is a bad move IMo.

1) SM looks like a liar and seems like he might have been swayed by fans

2) Tyrod is a popular guy in that locker room and I bet a lot of players think he’s their best chance to win. 

3). You might destroy Peterman’s confidence if he looks bad. What do you then?

This could blow up badly.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I was really hoping for the Bills to make a push for Burkhead. Big Husker fan, the guy has good hands, blocks and has good vision. He would've made the perfect number 2 RB with Tolbert strictly used for short yardage and goal line.

Of course the Pats* got him and he seems to be doing well there.

I agree that Tolbert has a spot on this roster, and it is as you described.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman won’t finish the game. ;)

Bold prediction after bold move by coach. Mostly because he will be knocked senseless rather than benched. 

He’s going to see defense he’s never played before. The Chargers are going to be right at the line and jumping the short routes. Be interesting to see what Dennison does with that. 

Hopefully Benjamin and Clay can use their bodies to shield defenders, and Matthews and Zay can find little creases and Peterman will hit them. 

But other than that I fear he’s getting crushed. 

Chargers have a bad run defense.

Look for 3 step drops, lots of runs and then play action to take advantage of an aggressive defense. It's not rocket science, they aren't going to continually drop the kid back and let him get rocked.

1 hour ago, Lex Lyon said:

Deer Lord...

Starting a 5th round rookie QB.

That ought to fix everything

Wasn't Brady a 7th round pick?  Not to say you are wrong, but EJ was a first round pick and where did that get us?

Edited by DCBongo

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

2) Tyrod is a popular guy in that locker room and I bet a lot of players think he’s their best chance to win. 

He's taking a calculated risk as he said in today's presser.  It's his ass that's on the line and he's comfortable with it. 

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Better hope Peterman has a football IQ through the roof!   LA will be throwing all sorts of packages at him. He will have about 2 seconds to break it all down in his head. We should be doing the same on D if LA plays their backup QB.

NFL. com already says the Chargers are impressed with Rivers progress and they expect him to play.

37 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Scott, I agree that Roman was a much better OC. He could work with what you had at QB and minimize his flaws. But honestly, I think that 3rd and long is what you get in a WCO with a QB that just won't throw the ball. Dennison is a one style , limited OC. But it's what I thought from the start. Their MO will be " run THIS offense". And if you can't, they'll try to find someone who can. 

Roman may have been light years ahead of Dennison (and most other OCs) when it came to the running game but his passing game schemes were way below average. While his run game was always very successful, his passing schemes were always near the bottom in terms of stats. And that's because his route concepts are really simple and not difficult for defenses to figure out and defend. 

On another note... I hope Peterman surprises and performs really well. I think the one thing that may help him is the fact that this is the first and only NFL offense he's had to learn so far. Whereas Tyrod is working with his 3rd different OC in as many years. There may still be habits and things he does that were part of the schemes in '15 and '16 and it's also just not an easy process to transition from scheme to scheme every year. Towards the end of 2016 he started to look more confident as a passer, seemed like maybe he was getting comfortable in the scheme. But they couldn't keep Rex so change had to come and again he and the offense have to spend the entire off-season learning and installing a new scheme as opposed to continuing with the same one, refining and polishing it as it would've entered its third season. We know the change was necessary but the constant turnover in schemes and coaches slows progress for just about any player. 

Again, I'm assuming that they believe Peterman can run this offense closer to how they want it run and maybe he identifies things on defense better than Taylor. I wish him the best but if the OL can't hold up it's not going to matter. But I think that's part of the reasoning behind the change. I think they believe Peterman will be better at getting rid of the ball quicker which will slow down the pass rush and open up the run game.

Edited by blacklabel

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

They are 5-4 and the rookie got nearly 3 months more time in the playbook and on the practice field. Why wouldn't they give Taylor a shot to conform into their system? They came in and did their own evaluations. Would you rather they have trusted what they saw from players under Rex's watch?

What was wrong with their offence last year? What were they, 13th or 14th or something? Last year the defence was the main problem.

If you plug last years offence into a descent defence, (like we had at the beginning of the year).you easily have a playoff team

Just look at the offensive numbers from last years to this years. I really don't know what else to say

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I suspect McDermott didn't want to start Peterman this soon, but Tyrod is not going to flourish under Dennison's offense, which they don't appear interested in changing mid season.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

1. I don’t think the fans had anything to do with it. I think it’s mainly about Peterman being a better fit for what Rico wants to do on offense. I’m sure the receivers must be happy since they may actually see the ball now.

2. TT was/is a leader but the only thing that matters is winning. If Peterman plays well and we win then I think they will get over the benching really quick.

3. If he looks bad then it is what it is. He’s a 5th round pick and we will likely be drafting a QB high next year anyway. If his confidence is ruined that quickly then that says a lot about him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's taking a calculated risk as he said in today's presser.  It's his ass that's on the line and he's comfortable with it. 

I don't know.

I don't think his ass is on the line at all. As a matter of fact, I believe there's just about nothing he could do to be in a hot seat. Not for 2+ years in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Gillislee is a healthy scratch on a  good team. 

In MG's defense,  McCoy hasn't been good either.   3.8 ypc on 150 carries is a ghastly decline from last season.

He was vastly overworked in the first 8 games and Tolbert would be in retirement now if not for McD yet he gets important snaps here.     

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Chargers have a bad run defense.

Look for 3 step drops, lots of runs and then play action to take advantage of an aggressive defense. It's not rocket science, they aren't going to continually drop the kid back and let him get rocked.

Not at first. But when their DBs are all over the WR and jumping the slants and outs the Bills are going to have to adjust quick. 

3 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I don't know.

I don't think his ass is on the line at all. As a matter of fact, I believe there's just about nothing he could do to be in a hot seat. Not for 2+ years in my opinion.

No one is talking about this season, but ultimately as the primary decision maker it is his ass that's on the line. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz