How much impact will Benjamin have Sunday?

JM2009

If we get Clay back and McDermott gave an ass chewing to the O line after that Jets debacle last Thursday, then perhaps Benjamin will get some solid plays, more importantly open up Thompson for a deep strike, and possibly a nice screen for Shady. This is all gonna boil down to how our O line responds after a dismal performance last week

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe that this week, he will be more of a decoy and something for the opponent to game plan for. Hopefully he will occupy Lattimore and it will open up the guys that TT is most comfortable throwing to. I think it will take awhile for KB to produce much stat-wise but that might not be such a bad thing this week since I don’t think TT would have targeted him much anyway. 

Regardless, his size alone makes him very difficult to defend for any CB. 

Agree

He won't be up to speed Sunday 

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

If we get Clay back and McDermott gave an ass chewing to the O line after that Jets debacle last Thursday, then perhaps Benjamin will get some solid plays, more importantly open up Thompson for a deep strike, and possibly a nice screen for Shady. This is all gonna boil down to how our O line responds after a dismal performance last week

You are assuming that the Oline was just lazy and that was the problem. I think the problem is not lack of effort, it is lack of skill and talent. Expecting Mills and Ducasse to suddenly acquire talent  that they never had seems unreasonable. Who knows what we actually have in Dawkins , he is still a "to be determined" rookie. I see it more a fact of the failure of management to acquire decent talent and with various coaches who are just not very good at their jobs. Miller was showing talent and improving until this coaching staff and scheme failed at sledge hammering his round peg into an inflexible square hole. I believe he will again thrive when he is on another team with better coaches and schemes than he has had this year in Buffalo.

I envision Taylor scrambling out, seeing him downfield, and chucking it out there knowing he will come down with it.  That's the confidence you can have with a receiver like this that you can't with other receivers.  

That at being said I see a 2-4 catch game for 50 or so yards.  A td would be nice.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, buffalo2218 said:

After watching what the Jets did to our O line, I'm not so sure. Benjamin isn't a speed guy and any big play to him will take time to develop. The Jets may have provided a blue print for every team we have left to play. Even with Benjamin, this team lacks some serious speed at the WR position.

Gotta just heave it up there and trust him to go up and get it with his great size and hands. Tyrod is going to have to throw to him even when he's covered, which he really does not like to do. I hope they're coaching him up on that.

Depends. Does the QB TGT him on his best routes 

15 and 20 yard digs?

Does he throw when Benjamin is covered (struggles getting seperation at times)?

Does he throw with anticipation on those sharp cuts to create seperation or is late and the coverage catches up?

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

What is the point of asking all these questions?

Same point as mine.  He has very specific skillset that doesnt really jive with the QB we currently have. So asking these questions is very valid to predict what type of impact he has 

On 11/6/2017 at 12:02 PM, Mrbojanglezs said:

Tyrod is going to have to change his mindset and start throwing to a single covered receiver who may not be "open" in his eyes, because he needs to trust Benjamin to make the catch as he doesn't get a lot of separation.

If Tyrod doesn't do that he won't make any impact because he will hardly get the ball.

Ding ding ding ding 

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Depends. Does the QB TGT him on his best routes 

15 and 20 yard digs?

Does he throw when Benjamin is covered (struggles getting seperation at times)?

Does he throw with anticipation on those sharp cuts to create seperation or is late and the coverage catches up?

Same point as mine.  He has very specific skillset that doesnt really jive with the QB we currently have. So asking these questions is very valid to predict what type of impact he has 

Ding ding ding ding 

The crusade never ends. 

On 11/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, buffalo2218 said:

After watching what the Jets did to our O line, I'm not so sure. Benjamin isn't a speed guy and any big play to him will take time to develop. The Jets may have provided a blue print for every team we have left to play. Even with Benjamin, this team lacks some serious speed at the WR position.

The "blueprint"? What blueprint? The Jets didn't do anything out of the ordinary. They threw 8 in the box and smacked us in the mouth.

Everybody was bad that day. Playcalling especially. If Dennison adds a few quick slants and Tyrod throws to the right receiver and the receiver makes the catch, you will see less and less 8 in the box.

1 minute ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

The "blueprint"? What blueprint? The Jets didn't do anything out of the ordinary. They threw 8 in the box and smacked us in the mouth.

Everybody was bad that day. Playcalling especially. If Dennison adds a few quick slants and Tyrod throws to the right receiver and the receiver makes the catch, you will see less and less 8 in the box.

even a HB Screen or Bubble Screen would have worked.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2017 at 9:50 AM, JM2009 said:

I think quite a bit. Esp. since he is familiar with playing against the Saints. He could be the difference in this game.

...SOLELY on Dennison IMO.....thought Taylor had a solid game vs Raiders, spreading it to 9 different guys including Deonte, Zay, even Holmes and Logan.....NO reason for Benjamin not to be in the mix......so it's SOLELY on Fairchild......oops....Dennison to have a well diversified game plan to implement.....Saints have reeled off 6 so their D is playing better.....if they punch and we can't counter especially offensively, think I'll leave it right there......

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m sorry, because I hate to come off as rude, but....are you familiar with NFL football?  The QB/WR timing and connection thing is very real. It’s not everything, but it’s a REAL thing. We kill you? 

Agreed. Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson kill defences with their back shoulder timing throws. If they don't have that timing, those plays they make look easy turns into easy incompletions or interceptions

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Agreed. Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson kill defences with their back shoulder timing throws. If they don't have that timing, those plays they make look easy turns into easy incompletions or interceptions

Exactly. Now, are there more elementary things you do that are productive? Sure. But to play at the highest level you need time and reps. 

3 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I agree with the 2nd part in what you said, but I do think the gameplan was to stack the box, rush 5, and keep Tyrod in the pocket. I think they did a pretty good job of that.

They took away the run game, and forced TT to beat them with his arm and not his legs.

This is not to say  TT didn't have some nice throws that game from the pocket cause I actually thought he played descent, but I think the blueprint going forward will be to stack the box, and collapse the pocket so TT can't use his legs to beat opposing defences

7 hours ago, DC Greg said:

Gotta just heave it up there and trust him to go up and get it with his great size and hands. Tyrod is going to have to throw to him even when he's covered, which he really does not like to do. I hope they're coaching him up on that.

And this will be his challenge. TT is not wired to chuck it up to any wr, let alone KB. This will be a great opportunity for him to start doing this. If he refuses then it's time to move on. Peterman or Rudolph?

Probably not much. He'll get open, sure, but Tyrod won't see him & dump the ball off to the RB on 3rd & 8 time and time again. Occasionally he'll chunk up a deep pass in his general direction, but it'll sail over his head by 10 feet, and the announcers will chalk it up to them not having chemistry yet.

On 11/6/2017 at 11:02 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Is he in sync with TT?

Will he be catching passes across the middle?

Will he be running deep routes? 

Will he be pass blocking to keep TT from getting sacked? 

Will he be a decoy?

More importantly will he get more than 3 targets in a game?

Edited by Real McCoy

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

More importantly with he get more than 3 targets in a game?

...better e-mail Dennison for that answer..........as we await his intriguing game plan with THE worst receiving corp in the NFL......GOOD coaches develop game plan to exploit the talents of players they have to work with versus pipe dreams.....But I know, Buffalo's receivers ALL suck...now what?.......victimized I guess.......pathetic excuses....

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I see a TD baby!

TT throws a beauty to the back corner of the endzone and KB toe taps and brings her down

funny how some are discrediting taylor for his throws. he's made some really nice throws and seems better then last season to me. trust me, I try not to get too mixed up in the detractor crowd but until better comes along, he's the guy. I believe #13 will help his game, rather than say he'd be a wasted target. then again, I haven't the ability to foresee the future so I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt that his game improves until proven otherwise.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

funny how some are discrediting taylor for his throws. he's made some really nice throws and seems better than last season to me. trust me, I try not to get too mixed up in the detractor crowd but until better comes along, he's the guy. I believe #13 will help his game, rather than say he'd be a wasted target. then again, I haven't the ability to foresee the future so I'll just give the benefit of the doubt that his game improves until proven otherwise.

I have been one of TTs biggest critics over the years.

But he is playing quality ball right now and he gives us the best chance to win

He is quietly developing into a solid starter and he makes some big time plays

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I agree with the 2nd part in what you said, but I do think the gameplan was to stack the box, rush 5, and keep Tyrod in the pocket. I think they did a pretty good job of that.

They took away the run game, and forced TT to beat them with his arm and not his legs.

This is not to say  TT didn't have some nice throws that game from the pocket cause I actually thought he played descent, but I think the blueprint going forward will be to stack the box, and collapse the pocket so TT can't use his legs to beat opposing defences

Yes Tyrod did play a decent game but also panicked also. The line never helped him at all so I can't fault TT but I'm sure when they watched film, TT saw the mistakes HE made also.

As far as defenses keeping TT in the pocket, with better blocking up front, TT can even run FROM the pocket. He's done it before. The edges collapse and TT takes off on either the Center's right or left side (whichever side has the block holding up).

Benjamin should and will take some of that pressure off the line because the defense has to account for where he is at all times. Hopefully in man to man situations TT will throw to him even if he's covered. TT throws high anyway so for Benjamin those are catchable balls.

But better blocking solves most of the problems on offense cuz I actually DO believe that Tyrod is a good enough QB to make the throws we need him to. He just needs to pull the trigger.

I'm curious to see what adjustments will be made to the line (hopefully some player changes instead of just "practicing fundamentals) on Sunday. I remember a few years ago I used to watch a lot of Giants games cuz a buddy of mine was a fan of them and we would watch Bills at 1pm then Giants at 4pm. That year the Giants had one of the worst O-lines and then they benched a couple guys and replaced them with their backups and moved people around from right side to left and it worked. I can only hope McDermott would try this.

That would at least show me that he acknowledges that the line is a issue and that he's working on making it better.

Glenn has earned every right to be the LT and some people suggested Glenn to the right side but I wasn't one of them. Glenn at left, Dawkins at right, Wood at C, Miller at RG and Incognito at LG is something I'd like to see. 

On 11/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, Commonsense said:

None. Lattimore will shut him down. 

He had had two catches for 8 yards in the Panthers game against NO. I'm not sure if that was the game he left early.

Lattimore is playing at an elite level right now, I don't see a guys first game in a run first offense being very productive.

I consider taking Lattimore away from the rest of the receivers to be a big contribution for his first game.