Official fire Rick Dennison thread

2 minutes ago, JM57 said:

A good coach tailors his scheme to the talent he has instead of forcing players into roles that they are not suited for them.

Taylors numbers are identical to his first two seasons.  The Bills finished 7-9 and 8-8.  They are now 5-4 with Taylor.  So your saying Taylor's play is Dennison's fault?  How about Greg Roman?  Anthony Lynn?

Everyone said TT needed to learn how to stretch the field and use the middle of the field more, trust his receivers and anticipate throws.  A trait that most every successful NFL QB does.  That has been the knock on him since his first year here.  It's not Dennison's fault that TT can't do what other successful QB's do.

With Lynn as OC and Tyrod as QB last year, Bills scored 27 PPG. This year that would be the 7th highest scoring offense. Same QB, same RB, same offensive line, same overall receiving quality.

Dennison’s offense is trash.

Edited by HappyDays

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

Taylors numbers are identical to his first two seasons.  The Bills finished 7-9 and 8-8.  They are now 5-4 with Taylor.  So your saying Taylor's play is Dennison's fault?  How about Greg Roman?  Anthony Lynn?

Everyone said TT needed to learn how to stretch the field and use the middle of the field more, trust his receivers and anticipate throws.  A trait that most every successful NFL QB does.  That has been the knock on him since his first year here.  It's not Dennison's fault that TT can't do what other successful QB's do.

If you judge a quarterback by wins and losses I can't help you friend

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This bozo told McD that Peterman was ready and he wasn't even close. Juan Castillo has got to go too!

Tyrod doesn't "fit" his scheme kinda like that pro bowl D line didn't fit Rex Ryan's scheme.

I'll be happy to see a new offensive coaching staff next year!

I think McDermott will eventually get completely fed up with the entire offensive staff. Leave Tyrod Taylor in for the rest of this season and change your offense to his strengths....no more west coast bs.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I think McDermott will eventually get completely fed up with the entire offensive staff. Leave Tyrod Taylor in for the rest of this season and change your offense to his strengths....no more west coast bs.

I'd think McDermott has to be at this point.  He's tried Dennison's way for 10 weeks with some minimal success and a few gigantic failures.  Might be time to review last  year's offense  game tapes when  ALynn was OC.

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Frazier first.

I think there are units in complete revolt against their unit coaches and it shows.

It's all the coordinators felt and not the idiots who keep getting rid of their talent players.

Frazier was a better D.C. With Dareus.  dennison would have been a better OC with Sammy.  

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

The problem is that the offense has been starting slow all season and the OC usually scripts 10-15 plays to start the game. Those clearly aren't working very well. The other problem is the rush offense was #1 for the previous two seasons and is now 18th which is close to worst in the league than the best. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, JM57 said:

If you judge a quarterback by wins and losses I can't help you friend

I'm not.

My point is he is the same QB he has been the last few years.  Stats are the same and record the same.

TT is what he is.  OC doesn't matter.  He's played with three of them...same result.

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I'm not.

My point is he is the same QB he has been the last few years.  Stats are the same and record the same.

TT is what he is.  OC doesn't matter.  He's played with three of them...same result.

The results last season were markedly different actually. The offense was a lot more productive, one of the better scoring offenses in the league. With a taxi squad group of WRs at times. That was the Greg Roman offense ( taken over by Lynn in week 3) . It was much more Tyrod friendly of a scheme. If the Bills ran the Roman offense and managed to repair the defense , this team would be a lot better.. a LOT. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The results last season were markedly different actually. The offense was a lot more productive, one of the better scoring offenses in the league. With a taxi squad group of WRs at times. That was the Greg Roman offense ( taken over by Lynn in week 3) . It was much more Tyrod friendly of a scheme. If the Bills ran the Roman offense and managed to repair the defense , this team would be a lot better.. a LOT. 

TT did put up better stats and the team did score more last year.  But his knock was always his inability to consistently stretch the field and  hit receivers who are in tight windows.   

Look, I've been a big TT fan for a while.  I've stood up for him on many a threads.  He has a unique skillset that many QB's don't have, and his deep ball can look almost Michael Vick like.  

But bottom line is he doesn't stretch the field enough and it drives me mad.  That 5 yard dump off to Mike Tolbert on 3 and 12 when we were down by a gazillion was a WTF moment.   Do I believe it's cause he doesn't want to make mistakes?  Yes.  Hence low INT"s.  But at the end of the day you need a guy who can anticipate throws and not allow the front seven to stack the box.  

Taylor's 187 passing yards per game ranks him 32nd in the league behind guys like Mike Glennon, Jacoby Brissett and Matt Moore.  His longest pass play of 44 yards ranks him 31st.  He is 22nd in plays of 40+ yards and is the 4th most sacked QB.  Those stats will not win you games consistently, especially when you fall behind. 

Pound for pound his receivers are about equal.    You can blame blocking scheme, sun in his eyes, whatever.  TT is a guy who can win games with a lights out D that gets a lot of turnovers.  Brady has led so many ridiculous come backs I can't even count.  Jim Kelly did as well.  We need that kind of production at QB.

Mike McCoy is available. (Although we've learned that his crap really only worked with Peyton Manning. But come to think of it, what exactly is Peyton Manning doing these days?)

I was hoping we would see if Tyrod could show us something new with a full complement of decent weapons: Benjamin, Matthews, the no-longer-deer-caught-in-the-headlights Zay, Clay, Shady ... but it was not to be.

33 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

what exactly is Peyton Manning doing these days?)

Filming Nationwide commercials with Brad Paisley; pretty funny too.  I though I remember Peyton saying that he has no interest in coaching at this point.

On 11/19/2017 at 11:39 PM, Klaista2k said:

I'm actually missing Greg Roman a little.

At least with him we had a top rushing game.

With Dennison this offense really isn't good at anything. 

Both Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn running Roman's blocking scheme had the Bills #2 in rushing attempts, #1 in rushing yards, #1 in rushing TD's and #1 in yards per rushing attempt. Lynn had more rushing TD's 29 vs 19 and a better YPA 5.3 to 4.8.

Still, the 2017 Buffalo Bills are 11th in rushing attempts, 11th in rushing yards, 12th in TD's and 16th in yards per average.

This might be mostly the same players all around on offense. Just not the same run blocking scheme or play calls. 

Dennison might be the OC but Juan Castillo is the run game coordinator and O line coach.  For me, the guy that needs replacing is Juan Castillo as he isn't doing good enough in either of his jobs. In other words, he sucks. 

The Bills need to find their run game really fast to save both the QB from getting killed and defense from being on the field all game...or this season is over. 

On 11/19/2017 at 8:32 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman IS the best suited QB on our roster to run Dennison's scheme!

I totally believe that the QB switch was at Dennison's urging - that said...

Dennison's inflexibility or desparate need caused the debacle in Sundays game.

The Peterman we saw on Sunday was not the same guy that came into the Saints game. When the kid had the first interception he got rattled. Instead of an OC who was trying to help the kid by by going back to the run game for a bit, Dennison kept calling passing plays. 

WHY, WHY, WHY did Dennison not back off and just call run plays for a bit to give the kid a chance to shake it off?

We have seen evidence of Dennisons inflexible play calling all season. 

Dennison NEEDS TO GO!  

12 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Peterman IS the best suited QB on our roster to run Dennison's scheme!

I totally believe that the QB switch was at Dennison's urging - that said...

Dennison's inflexibility or desparate need caused the debacle in Sundays game.

The Peterman we saw on Sunday was not the same guy that came into the Saints game. When the kid had the first interception he got rattled. Instead of an OC who was trying to help the kid by by going back to the run game for a bit, Dennison kept calling passing plays. 

WHY, WHY, WHY did Dennison not back off and just call run plays for a bit to give the kid a chance to shake it off?

We have seen evidence of Dennisons inflexible play calling all season. 

Dennison NEEDS TO GO!  

Dennison does need to go.  He is terrible.

However, you cant just keep calling run plays.  Other than a few, they weren't working.  That puts Peterman in 3rd and long and under even more pressure.  Peterman was not the same as was seen on Sunday because the Saints didn't throw the sink at him.  Peterman was the same you saw in preseason when pressured.  Inaccurate throws.  He might be ok if we had an oline but we don't. 

I said going into the game that any smart coach would send the house against Peterman.  They did.  They didn't even have to because they got penetration with just 4 guys.  With not even one game of play the book was out on Peterman.  Give the kid some pressure and he cant throw the football and makes poor choices.  If he had an oline and some run support the kid would probably do alright, but so would Tyrod and a lot of other QBs that look like ****.  This is not the kid to build around.  This is a kid you hope can grow into a solid backup on the cheap.  This is a kid that Belichick would hold onto for 3 to 4 years and fleece some team for some draft capital.

I don’t see why you’d get rid of an offensive coordinator week 12 of the season. If a move were to be made there, it would have to be in the off season. We don’t have an Anthony Lynn waiting in the wings. And installing a new system week 12 is just not possible. A switch from Leslie would be easier to do given that McDermott could take over for a few weeks until a new one can be found. 

I suspect McD is the type of coach who is quick to run his players out for not getting in line, but extraordinarily stubborn about refusing to hold coaches accountable.  Plus he’s a young first time coach who probably feels like he owes lots of favors to his staff for choosing to follow him and support him.  And he picked his own GM!  Think Beane is gonna pressure McD to make changes?  Don’t expect anything different folks, it ain’t happening unless the Pegulas wake up.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I suspect McD is the type of coach who is quick to run his players out for not getting in line, but extraordinarily stubborn about refusing to hold coaches accountable.  Plus he’s a young first time coach who probably feels like he owes lots of favors to his staff for choosing to follow him and support him.  And he picked his own GM!  Think Beane is gonna pressure McD to make changes?  Don’t expect anything different folks, it ain’t happening unless the Pegulas wake up.

Kind of feels like a chip Kelly-Eagles situation right now. Stubbornly trading talent for cheap so you can install what you think is a plug and play system that can be successful no matter who is operating in it. 

Just now, Phils n Bills said:

Kind of feels like a chip Kelly-Eagles situation right now. Stubbornly trading talent for cheap so you can install what you think is a plug and play system that can be successful no matter who is operating in it. 

Except that Chip at least was trying to anticipate trends.  His offense was rudimentary in design but modern in execution and speed.  Whereas the Bills’ strategy on both offense and defense can best be described as “hiding under the blanket so bad things won’t happen.”