Boldin: "Why I Quit Football for Activism" - Wants to Play

I think he might literally make the pats worse and would bet us something.

Exactly. It's doing yourself a disservice just to get revenge that is totally unneeded

How are the Bills doing themselves a disservice.

You could argue Boldin did the Bills a disservice.

You could argue thar Boldin did himself a disservice.

I fail to recognize the correlation between what has happened and the Bills "doing themselves a disservice". If anything they are trying to help their cause by getting something in return, they may have lost out on another WR expecting Boldin to play, heck they may even have kept Sammy. Perhaps the Bills were counting on Boldin, and he left them holding their dicks.

You could argue Boldin did the Bills a disservice.

You could argue thar Boldin did himself a disservice.

I fail to recognize the correlation between what has happened and the Bills "doing themselves a disservice". If anything they are trying to help their cause by getting something in return, they may have lost out on another WR expecting Boldin to play, heck they may even have kept Sammy. Perhaps the Bills were counting on Boldin, and he left them holding their dicks.

And in context I was saying that if we held him just to spite him it would be dumb because we should take something, anything, that is offered

And in context I was saying that if we held him just to spite him it would be dumb because we should take something, anything, that is offered

Fair enough.

I just don't think there is any way the Bills can lose from this point forward. There are only a few outcomes:

1. He shows up and plays for the Bills.

2. We get something for him in trade.

3. He stays retired.

Those options either help us or bear no consequence for the Bills. Each option bears consequence to Boldin, so we are holding 51 cards, and his only card is the deuce of hearts.

True, but he's got 271 yards this far in the season and just fumbled the game away against us. Tampa is close to Boldin's family. Jacksonville could work too, but I'd prefer an NFC team.

Well, I hope Miami is in close proximity, because this team is going places! Cutler-Boldin. That'll bring those NFL ratings back!

Tampa would be the best option if they have any interest.

What team wants him though? His local teams are all pretty set at the WR position and I can't imagine 'a contender' is in the market for an old man slot.

I'd love it if we got alil something for being spurned by him!

Edited by TaskerTough

HUH? He's still "officially" part of the team?

He is on the reserve/retired list so he does not take a roster spot but the team still hold his rights. Similar to the Marshawn Lynch situation from earlier this year. Seattle still held his rights which is way Oakland had to trade for him.

Usually I am in the players corner in any situation involving money. In this case, Im in kind of the opposite place. Its probably in the Bills best interest to try to get anything for him but at the same time, Im petty. Id be tempted to just leave him sitting there through the year. He left the Bills a little high and dry, which is fine if he wasnt planning on playing. I wouldnt be too quick to accommodate him even if it will sit well with players and agents around the league.

Usually I am in the players corner in any situation involving money. In this case, Im in kind of the opposite place. Its probably in the Bills best interest to try to get anything for him but at the same time, Im petty. Id be tempted to just leave him sitting there through the year. He left the Bills a little high and dry, which is fine if he wasnt planning on playing. I wouldnt be too quick to accommodate him even if it will sit well with players and agents around the league.

Exactly. It isn't like he was traded to the Bills, he signed here. He made a commitment to this team, and he balked at it. I'm only taking an offer that knocks my socks off or sends him to any of the 15 NFC teams we don't have to play this year. Barring that, sorry Anquan, you're always welcomed to try to win a spot in our already thin WR corps. Edited by sodbuster

Boldin is the kind of player that the Bills need to separate themselves from. I agree about getting something in return, but if not, just flat out release him and be done with it.

He's played his whole career watching Buffalo stumble around, hiring and firing coaches, wasting draft picks, and being losers. It's not surprising that when things didn't go as planned (Sammy being traded), he checked out thinking 'same old Bills'.

We need to recreate a brand, not just a team. Let these veterans wash out, keep playing like they are, and eventually Beane and McD will earn enough trust that even the vets respect personnel decisions like the Watkins trade.

That's fine

He quit on us and is dead to me, but if we can get something for him that's great.

More importantly we need to make sure he goes somewhere outside the division, maybe even conference, and not to any team that regularly deals with the Pats (Browns, Raiders), or any team who's draft picks we hold (specifically KC).

You're signature may be the best on this board. I HATED bryan cox. Probably more than I hate Tom Brady.

Yep. I think he was just wrong about what the team could do. And I think he wasn't honest when he gave his reasons for why he retired. It's possible, however, that he was protecting the Bills by not saying what he felt, that the team was not interested in winning this season but rather trading assets for future considerations he wasn't going to be around for. That could have been legit. And he would have been just wrong in his calculation and not a jerk for lying.

After watching him in the preseason game I think it is the Bills who are protecting him. He didn't have it and looked incredibly slow out there. I wonder if his roster spot might not have been secure so he took "retirement."

god forbid someone changes their mind

God forbid someone understands what a contract is.

He's been an activist for a long time. He was named Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2015 for it. He expanded it into other areas recently and is still doing it.

And I applaud him for it. But it doesn't excuse him from the contract he signed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is actually good. We get compensation for him if he goes to another team and can veto a team like the Pats*** or any other AFC team. Perhaps he goes to Dallas or something. Whatever. I'll take another draft pick for a guy we are not using anyway!! Win.

Yup, I imagine his signing affected a personnel decision or two, which also was a difference in at least one L.

exactly. !@#$ boldin if he thinks he's too good for the team. be on your merry way you washed up pos.

I have said this in another thread before but it bears repeating. At the time he signed with the Bills, he may have been motivated by more than a paycheck. He very well could have been looking forward to mentoring Watkins, sort of his legacy in addition to his on-field performances. On the field, he would be needed to make the critical play and helping out TT. When Watkins was gone, all that was left for him was to play a few downs and collect a paycheck. Which, for a player of his stature, may not be very appealing.

be that as it may, I still think it was wrong for him to dump on the Bills as he did. He could have swallowed his pride and played out his contract. But he did not. I submit that if someone is driven strongly by a cause, that drive doesnt disappear in 5 months. He really wasnt committed to that cause as strongly as he thought he was.

I think the Bills should do him no favors. They signed him to a contract and are getting nothing for it on the field. Might as well get some compensation. It is highly likely some team will give up a low round pick in 2018.

I completely agree with this. Let him seek a trade, but just don't release his rights, outright.

But he can still be very committed to his causes, and still play football. In some ways, being visible might actually help more, than just working on it out of the public eye.

I agree with both of you. Another factor beyond the loss of "mentoring Sammy" may have been simple positional math: the Bills traded away a guy who mostly plays on the outside and stretches the field, and traded for a slot/possession receiver. Boldin's been at the point for a couple years where he can really only play in the slot any more. Once it was clear that the team would need him to play outside or not at all, he probably realized there wasn't much he could do to help the team.

Boldin can claim he quit for activism, but it's pretty obvious he quit on us because he didn't think the team would be good. It was days after the Watkins trade. No one else wanted him offseason, if some team is willing to give us a pick then by all means I wish him the best, but absent that I really hope we play hardball and don't let him join a team like the Pats or Steelers.

Exactly. It's the nature of the beast that is the NFL with so few guaranteed contracts. Irrespective of that Boldin's vacillation is a bad look for him.

Maybe, but I still don't see such a big deal about it. It's pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Well, since they have granted him permission to seek a trade, there is no disservice on the Bills' part, IMO. But had they denied the permission, they would have been doing a disservice to both parties. Obviously, there would be the disservice to Boldin (and I understand many think he deserves that). But when you engage in retribution/pettiness/etc, you also do a disservice to yourself.

IMO it's best not to let others drag you down into behaving in a way you normally would not, if it can be avoided. Karma's a B word.

God forbid someone understands what a contract is.

And I applaud him for it. But it doesn't excuse him from the contract he signed.

I think he quit on the Bills and I said that a few times. But that said, the Bills could have cut him - walked away from him - after those two weeks, too - with no warning like him - for a good or a crappy reason like him - and he would get no money - and be left high and dry. So what is the diffrence?